Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Jose posted:

This popped up on my recommendations and seemed like something people might like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvEF5rmHrI

This was pretty neat, thanks for sharing it!

paraquat posted:

LMAO! Your dosirak and those links, that's all just way too cute.
it's not that I don't WANT to make lunchboxes like that, but my immediate coworker might hang herself if I brought anything close to that to work.
That's middle-aged woman who is a self-proclaimed bad cook...she does make "Chili", but if you ask for the specifics, she uses a tortilla wrap and a banana....that's when I stopped questioning her cooking skills ;-)

But seriously, I did google the banchan you used, well, the first three, because I wasn't sure what they were (I am familiar with the rest of them)....I LOVE the Korean kitchen and its banchans (not only the taste, but the way it changes the preparation of a meal)
Oh, and purple rice, that was such a great discovery :3:

Heck your coworker, cute lunchboxes are the best. Maybe the envy will motivate her to learn how to cook!

Here's a shallow dive on

The Three Main Types of Soy in a Korean Kitchen

There are one billion soy sauces available in Korea, which you'd know if you've ever visited a Korean market and looked at the soy sauce aisle.

Exhibit A: A still I blatantly took from a new story

We are going to talk about the big three varieties that exist--everything else is niche and not typical to most homes. Most homes will have at least two of these three to use.

Soup Soy Sauce/국간장
aka: Joseon soy sauce/조선간장, house soy sauce/집간장

A proper soup soy sauce will be made from a lump of fermented paste (meju/메주) that only used soy beans. It has a much lighter color and tastes a bit more savory. It's the saltiest of all three of the main soy sauces.

In the past, this was the only soy sauce that Korea really used--that's why it's got the alternate names of Joseon soy sauce and house soy sauce. As such, you can actually use this as your only soy if you want, just make sure to adjust down how much soy you use and taste test religiously.

Due to the light color and salinity, it is most often used in soups (jjigae, guk, tang/찌개, 국, 탕) since it doesn't alter the final color much. It also is also commonly used in traditional namul/나물 recipes.

Brewed Soy Sauce/Yangjo soy sauce/양조간장

Other ingredients can start to show up here. Soy, defatted soy, or flour can all be used to make the base meju; they will be allowed to age and ferment naturally. You can find yangjo soy sauces that were made only with soy or defatted soy; there's debate on which is best, but that's way above my Korean paygrade to dive into the details.

It sits in the middle on the salinity scale, usually.

The special thing about this is that natural fermentation process--it takes much longer to make this compared to the other two. That longer fermentation gives it a much more complex flavour than the other too, and supposedly a sweet scent (my nose isn't that great).

Because those special qualities break down with heat, this is often preferred for dipping sauces, any banchan with no heat or cooking, hui (회/raw fish), and other applications you can think of that don't have heat.

Thick soy sauce/Jin soy sauce/진간장

This is the quicket soy sauce to make, and probably the most common base soy sauce. This is the one similar to your typical staple Japanese soy sauce you probably already have in your kitchen. Since it's made very quickly, with a variety of ingredients, it's the one that gets the most concern on the Korean cooking blogs I follow for being tampered with, and on slow new days this sort of investigation of soy sauces for tampering usually runs.

There's nothing very special about this one. Use it for anything where you're going to be adding a lot of heat, replace it with your Kikkoman if you want, it really won't matter. This one has the least salinity of all the three main staples.

Brands
The two big agreed-on-as-trustworthy brands among Korean cooking (from small no sponsered bloggers up to random public television cooking shows on EBS) are Sempo/샘표 and Chungjungone/청정원*. I think I once saw some English blogger say to never use Chungjungone, but honestly, they've done well when there are random quality control tests by investigators, and I like their jin soy sauce more than I like Sempo's. (I do like Sempo's soup soy and yangjo better though)

You can almost definitely ignore yangjo soy sauce if you want, but I really do recommend a bottle of soup soy sauce if you plan to cook any Korean soups extensively--it really does make a difference to the appearance and taste, and when I finally started using it, I kicked myself for waiting so long.

*this is how they romanize their name, because Koreans give zero fucks about any of the various romanization systems.

eta: Of course I can't find the source I read it now, but iirc jin soy sauce was brought over by Japan, thus the similarity to basic Japanese soy sauce.

felgs fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I live right next to several international markets right now and I've sort of been shopping around for ingredients I recognize from recipes on pinterest or whatever. Just sort of stocking up on stuff that will last a while.

I picked up some gochujang a few weeks ago and about a week ago I got the idea to toss a bit into some microwavable veggie lo mein from Sam's Club. Then sprinkle some furikake in.

Holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo. My life has changed forever. It is literally the only meal I've been thinking about the last 2 weeks. It's the best goddamn thing-- chow mein noodles, veggies, gochujang and furikake. I don't even want meat, the one time I mixed in some chicken it wasn't as good. I know it's not exactly Korean but without the gochujang it would be nothing. It's so drat good. I want to add this stuff to everything now.

I have some pork neck bones from a local farmer in my freezer. Thinking about trying to make gamjatang soon.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Gochujang is the best!!

I can do a translation of the kamjatang recipe I use on the next few days too, if you want? You're going to need to find deulkkaekaru/들깨가루 and find some perilla leaves/kkaenip/깻잎 in the meantime.

Edit--deulkkaekaru is ground perilla seeds.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm a gochujang addict!!

The best dipping sauce has a bit of vinegar added to it, especially great with veggies.
My own "recipe" is soy sauce/rice vinegar/sugar/gochujang in about a 2:2:1:1 ratio, so good!

Oh, and I learned about the existence of chogochujang after I've been eatingthis forever, so you might want to check that out sooner than I did.

Today I made mayak gimbap, filled them (non-traditionally) with rice, yak gochujang, cucumber and carrot
dipping sauce not pictured

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I did make the gamjatang and ate it poured over rice a few nights ago. It wasn't super traditional, I kind of decided to make it at the last minute since I'd thawed my neck bones and forgot I'd thawed them. So I didn't have the perilla. And I didn't have the doenjang so I tossed in a generous spoonful of miso paste.

So while I'm sure it fell short of actual gamjatang, it was still loving delicious spicy soup. I used pork neck bones I got this spring from a local organic farm and did the whole soak 1 hour, boil for a bit with onion and ginger and black peppercorns, then strain broth and cook the actual soup. Tossed in some potatoes and napa cabbage and lots of gochujang and red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic! It was fantastic poured hot over some fresh white rice. I still have a bit left in the pot.

I love the flavor of pork neck bones and their cheapness but by god, the fiddly bits are irritating! It's like when I make adobo with chicken legs. I'm always so tempted to grab some boneless, skinless thighs but you need that breakdown of the collagen and the fat to really make good food IMO.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

I'm a gochujang addict!!

The best dipping sauce has a bit of vinegar added to it, especially great with veggies.
My own "recipe" is soy sauce/rice vinegar/sugar/gochujang in about a 2:2:1:1 ratio, so good!

Oh, and I learned about the existence of chogochujang after I've been eatingthis forever, so you might want to check that out sooner than I did.

Today I made mayak gimbap, filled them (non-traditionally) with rice, yak gochujang, cucumber and carrot
dipping sauce not pictured

Those kimbap look really good!!!

empty sea posted:

I did make the gamjatang and ate it poured over rice a few nights ago. It wasn't super traditional, I kind of decided to make it at the last minute since I'd thawed my neck bones and forgot I'd thawed them. So I didn't have the perilla. And I didn't have the doenjang so I tossed in a generous spoonful of miso paste.

So while I'm sure it fell short of actual gamjatang, it was still loving delicious spicy soup. I used pork neck bones I got this spring from a local organic farm and did the whole soak 1 hour, boil for a bit with onion and ginger and black peppercorns, then strain broth and cook the actual soup. Tossed in some potatoes and napa cabbage and lots of gochujang and red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic! It was fantastic poured hot over some fresh white rice. I still have a bit left in the pot.

I love the flavor of pork neck bones and their cheapness but by god, the fiddly bits are irritating! It's like when I make adobo with chicken legs. I'm always so tempted to grab some boneless, skinless thighs but you need that breakdown of the collagen and the fat to really make good food IMO.

As long as you were happy with it. I'll still try to get that translation up when I can--it's legit one of my favourites.

It has been getting dumb hot here in Korea, and while it's cooler today, I still made some delicious naengmyeon/냉면!!!! The chicken is not standard, but the rest is pretty normal.

Can't help you with making it--I just buy the broth at the store premade because heck trying to make it at home.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Making (prolly not really authentic) danmuji for the first time, some half moons to eat as is and some strips for my future gimbap
(I used turmeric powder insted of dried chija)

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

How long can I keep kimchi in the fridge if I keep my filthy mits out of it? It one of my fav snacks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Likely forever. It's good unless you see mold on it. Traditionally kimchi was made in November/December and buried in pots to be eaten the entire year, if that helps. I've never seen it go bad.

It will continue to get more sour, which is either a feature or a bug depending on your tastes.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Thanks! I usually buy kimchi by the half gallon jar, and if I have not finished it in the first few months I feel kinda leery eating it, now I wont! Thank you!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I have kimchi going on like 10 months and it's really just starting to be perfect for jjigae. Super sour and tender.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah I buy it by the bucket at our local Asian market and use it for like a year

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmart has entire bags of sliced tteok, and I've kinda wanted to try making tteokbokki myself. I've had frozen tteokbokki before in the typical red sauce, but I have no idea if it's worth trying to make fresh. Is it significantly different/better? If so, should I bother making the sauce myself, or just use jarred or something?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 6, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's much better since the commercial varieties of ddeokbokki are always way too sweet and flat. Very easy to make. You want garaeddeok preferably, the cylindrical stuff. The slices are usually for soups. Ddeok is ddeok though so get whatever and go hog wild.

Fry thin sliced onions in a pan along with some garlic. Add dashi, either the Korean style from anchovies or powdered Japanese stuff is fine. Once that comes to a simmer sauce it up. You can start with a 3:1:1 ratio of gochujang/gochugaru/soy sauce and adjust it however you like from there. In Korea they will usually add a poo poo ton of sugar and rice or corn syrup at this point, I do not since gochujang already is sweet enough imo. Up to you. A little bit of sugar as a flavor enhancer is okay. I usually add some vinegar since I am a vinegar whore. Then your other ingredients--fish cakes, cabbage, and the ddeok is the classic combo but you can add more. Hard boiled eggs, boiled and drained instant noodles, fried mandu, whatever.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Are some brands of gochujang better than others? I got an extra-hot tub a while ago (it was the only small tub), but it can be a little too extra-hot. I might start making bibimbap more so I'll get a regular sized tub of gochujang soon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I never noticed any difference between different brands of Korean gochujang. I can't remember anyone ever discussing it. Haechandeul, Sunchang, and Saempyo are the only big commercial manufacturers I think.

I have been unimpressed by non-Korean gochujangs I've tried but I've never tried anything US made.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Are some brands of gochujang better than others? I got an extra-hot tub a while ago (it was the only small tub), but it can be a little too extra-hot. I might start making bibimbap more so I'll get a regular sized tub of gochujang soon.

One of the big three brands is fine.

There are better "brands", but they're all tiny farmers who sell exclusively out of stalls they set up next to their farm or at little popup markets. My current favourite is a sticky rice (찹쌀) based one. You're not going to find them outside Korea unfortunately.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

drat that bulgogi recipe sounds good :eyepop:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I never noticed any difference between different brands of Korean gochujang. I can't remember anyone ever discussing it. Haechandeul, Sunchang, and Saempyo are the only big commercial manufacturers I think.

Ok thanks, I'll look out for those on my next trip to H-Mart.

FelicityGS posted:

There are better "brands", but they're all tiny farmers who sell exclusively out of stalls they set up next to their farm or at little popup markets. My current favourite is a sticky rice (찹쌀) based one. You're not going to find them outside Korea unfortunately.

Yeah I'm in the USA, so bespoke roadside gochujang would unfortunately be very difficult to find.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's much better since the commercial varieties of ddeokbokki are always way too sweet and flat. Very easy to make. You want garaeddeok preferably, the cylindrical stuff. The slices are usually for soups. Ddeok is ddeok though so get whatever and go hog wild.

Fry thin sliced onions in a pan along with some garlic. Add dashi, either the Korean style from anchovies or powdered Japanese stuff is fine. Once that comes to a simmer sauce it up. You can start with a 3:1:1 ratio of gochujang/gochugaru/soy sauce and adjust it however you like from there. In Korea they will usually add a poo poo ton of sugar and rice or corn syrup at this point, I do not since gochujang already is sweet enough imo. Up to you. A little bit of sugar as a flavor enhancer is okay. I usually add some vinegar since I am a vinegar whore. Then your other ingredients--fish cakes, cabbage, and the ddeok is the classic combo but you can add more. Hard boiled eggs, boiled and drained instant noodles, fried mandu, whatever.

Making this right now - important to note that we’re talking like tablespoons here for the 3:1:1 mixture, definitely not 1/4 cup.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Depends how much sauce you want

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Extra sauce freezes fine for super lazy ddeokbokki. But it's not exactly time consuming, the dashi flavor is supporting at best so powdered is just fine for it. Gochujang is so overwhelming when put on delicate flavors you could probably just do water with some MSG in it and get the same results.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Keep being stuck at the Korean cuisine thing, seems like I'm stuck on the wrong side of the world...

Anyway, I made jjajangmyeon, according to Maanchi.
I liked her ingredients, but I did not like the outcome of the dish.
Apparently this poo poo needs a lot more salt (and gochugaru....yeah, I know.....sorry)

Also, I figured that with a rice cooker taking care of the rice and not needing a mat to roll anything, because I'm not stupid,
gimbap would be extremely easy to make. And I was right....throw your "sushi mats" in the bin, just by hand, you savages!

ground beef baked with gochujang, soy sauce and honey....and cheddar cheese, carrot, cucumber, surimi...

Rooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll

K, that was the first time rolled by hand, it only got better after this.
Also, I like the ground beef, but I adore spicy tuna ....it's all so cheap and easy and delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :3:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

paraquat posted:

Anyway, I made jjajangmyeon, according to Maanchi.
I liked her ingredients, but I did not like the outcome of the dish.
Apparently this poo poo needs a lot more salt (and gochugaru....yeah, I know.....sorry)

If it was gross then you made accurate jjajangmyeon.

:boom:

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Is there a proper way to make rice for sushi type items? I see online that you just don’t put “regular” rice by itself. You add stuff to make it flavorful. Any links if this is so? I want to try my hand at making some Asian rolls.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're making sushi you add vinegar/sugar to the cooked rice. Basic guide: https://www.justonecookbook.com/sushi-rice/

However this doesn't apply for Korean food, gimbap just uses plain white rice. I find that boring and use vinegared rice when I make it, but that is not traditional.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Actually, the rice in gimbap is flavored with salt and sesame oil.
It's not only really tasty, but it makes the rice easier to work with as well.

And this is a nice basic recipe:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/gimbapkimbap-korean-dried-seaweed-rolls/

And this is a fun recipe as well:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/mini-gimbap-mayak-gimbap/

And I'm not saying you should use lobster in your gimbap, but if you scroll forward to 08:10, you can see how easy it is to make gimbap, even without a sushi mat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zf--SCa1_0
I tried making gimbap without a sushi mat after seeing this video, and well....I'll never use one of those again, totally unnecessary ;-)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 26, 2019

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The rice at a kimbap chain is just plain white rice.

Rice at the home of whoever is going to depend on the person making it; some people do salt and sesame, some do vinegar, some do plain.

There's no right answer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

paraquat posted:

Actually, the rice in gimbap is flavored with salt and sesame oil.
It's not only really tasty, but it makes the rice easier to work with as well.

I'm sure some people do this but it's not normal. Sesame oil is brushed on the outside of the roll when it's finished, but it isn't mixed with the rice. And everyone I ever cooked for in Asia was horrified I salt my rice but they are wrong, salt is good.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Well, I only know Korean recipes from the internet, and I've never seen or read a gimbap recipe made with plain rice,
but that must be a coincidence (or due to the sources I use)

I can strongly recommend salt and sesame oil, though!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dunno what to tell you. I lived in Korea for years and ate a whole lot of gimbap, never encountered it made with sesame oil mixed into the rice. I usually asked for no sesame oil brushed on top so I would've noticed unless they were using such a tiny amount it wasn't possible to taste it. But like I said I find the plain rice boring and am in no way against altering that. Gimbap isn't exactly fancy rulesbound food, if you have stuff wrapped in rice and nori it's gimbap.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm glad to have come across this thread, because I was going to ask about Maangchi. I was reading her cookbook and came across a recipe that told me to buy an expensive cut of beef and boil it for 40 minutes. Ever since then I've been a little less gung-ho about trying her stuff.

There's an H-Mart maybe 15 minutes away from me. When I was stocking to make a Korean-ish pantry, I had to ask an employee where to find doenjang. I had no idea how to pronounce it and I showed him the word from the book. He goes, "Doenjang! Oh, doenjang? Are you sure?" I tell him yeah. He shows me where it is and says, "Everybody loves gochujang, you should get that. Are you sure you want doenjang?" What he pointed out to me was exactly what I was looking for and I nodded at him. He says, "It's right there. Uh, good luck" and walks off.

I've tried gochujang once and the spiciness caused what I made to be inedible; I read it could be kind of sweet, though. I'm wondering if there is a brand that might be milder and sweeter than what my roommate gave me.

Other than gochujang, I think I want to try making my own kimchi. I had one once at a restaurant that wound up being sweet and tangy, and I'd like to try to emulate that.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Gochujang is spicy but not that spicy, and all the brands you can get overseas will be the same profile. It almost sounds like you used too much? Or it's just not for you.

I have not made my own kimchi, though, and can offer no help. I just bum it off my mom's friend when she makes it each year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That Old Ganon posted:

expensive beef and boil it for 40 minutes.

This is pretty Korean, to be fair.

That Old Ganon posted:

There's an H-Mart maybe 15 minutes away from me. When I was stocking to make a Korean-ish pantry, I had to ask an employee where to find doenjang. I had no idea how to pronounce it and I showed him the word from the book. He goes, "Doenjang! Oh, doenjang? Are you sure?" I tell him yeah. He shows me where it is and says, "Everybody loves gochujang, you should get that. Are you sure you want doenjang?" What he pointed out to me was exactly what I was looking for and I nodded at him. He says, "It's right there. Uh, good luck" and walks off.

:lol: I had no idea H-Mart was such an authentically Korean experience.

That Old Ganon posted:

I've tried gochujang once and the spiciness caused what I made to be inedible; I read it could be kind of sweet, though. I'm wondering if there is a brand that might be milder and sweeter than what my roommate gave me.

I believe there are different spice levels but it is chili pepper paste, it's all going to have a little heat. All of it is fairly sweet. I'd just try using less, basic gochujang isn't particularly hot and you aren't going to be able to go down from that, only up.

That Old Ganon posted:

Other than gochujang, I think I want to try making my own kimchi. I had one once at a restaurant that wound up being sweet and tangy, and I'd like to try to emulate that.

Try looking for recipes for Japanese kimuchi instead of Korean kimchi. Japan is not exactly a chili pepper land and their version of kimchi is less hot and more sweet. Tanginess is just dependent on how long you leave it to ferment, the older it is the more sour it will get.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The last tub of gochujang I got was the extra-spicy variety (since it was a tiny half-sized tub). I would guess it was about twice as spicy as the regular stuff. It wasn't as good as the usual kind, I'd rather be able to put more into my bibimbap without it getting too spicy.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Yeah, I love spicy, and I like to get the extra spicy gochujang, but apparently gochujang in America is only sold in a not so spicy variety. *

Btw, if you want to make kimchi, you don't need gochujang, but you do need gochugaru!
Gochugaru is Korean red pepper powder.
You cannot use any other pepper powder instead, because gochugaru has a specific taste and it is pretty much not spicy

* Korean recipes from Korean Americans often tell you that if you want to spice up your gochujang-containing dish, you should use some extra gochugaru.....to me that's like telling me to add bell pepper if I want my birds eye chilli-containing recipe a bit spicier

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

Yeah, I love spicy, and I like to get the extra spicy gochujang, but apparently gochujang in America is only sold in a not so spicy variety. *

Btw, if you want to make kimchi, you don't need gochujang, but you do need gochugaru!
Gochugaru is Korean red pepper powder.
You cannot use any other pepper powder instead, because gochugaru has a specific taste and it is pretty much not spicy

* Korean recipes from Korean Americans often tell you that if you want to spice up your gochujang-containing dish, you should use some extra gochugaru.....to me that's like telling me to add bell pepper if I want my birds eye chilli-containing recipe a bit spicier

You do know gochujang just uses the exact same Korean chili as gochukaru, yeah? It sounds like your gochukaru is stale. Gochujang is never going to be 'extra spicy' just because that's the nature of the chili pepper being used; even the 'extra spicy' ones here aren't really that spicy.

You also do not need gochukaru for kimchi, there's specifically white kimchi (bekkimchi) if that's more your thing. I don't care for it personally, but it's a legit thing and it has, as expected, zero spice.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
whats the best buldak recipe. i did serious eats one but its a little sweet. also kinda did one adapted from seongyang longest. should i throw in cilantro? i like really spicy stuff

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Was out shopping last weekend at H-Mart last weekend, and impulse bought some clay bowls and made some bibimbap (more or less). Did a lot of things wrong, (e.g. stir fried the veggies all together which doesn't look as nice), but it was still awesome and I'm excited to use this more.

(sauce was added a moment later)

Got somewhat conflicting info on what can be done with the bowl though. I see a lot of stone pots being used on gas stoves in various videos, but I have a glass stove and the bowl has a foot ring, so not much surface contact. I ended up just heating it in an oven to ~390F, which ended up working great, but I'm not sure what else will work. I was thinking about putting it on a piece of cast iron just to be safe, but it seems like the bowl still would have trouble heating up that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Very nice! Unfortunately those really aren't designed at all for non gas stoves. The oven idea is a good one. They do make some newer ones with smooth bottom for glass good that are getting more common, but they take so long to heat because electric is just so slow in general.

I have posted nothing because my fridge has been off and on broken since August, so my cooking is equally sporadic and half hearted.