Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Made it a few more times since then, and oven has been totally fine. It's kinda amazing how fast it comes together, aside from the rice, it's very easily ready within 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I get my cooking liquids, gochu, frozen gyoza and dumplings from hmart. It’s pretty cool, got a lot of selection and kitchen tools. No idea what to do with most of the meal kits though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lhet posted:

Was out shopping last weekend at H-Mart last weekend, and impulse bought some clay bowls and made some bibimbap (more or less). Did a lot of things wrong, (e.g. stir fried the veggies all together which doesn't look as nice), but it was still awesome and I'm excited to use this more.

(sauce was added a moment later)

Got somewhat conflicting info on what can be done with the bowl though. I see a lot of stone pots being used on gas stoves in various videos, but I have a glass stove and the bowl has a foot ring, so not much surface contact. I ended up just heating it in an oven to ~390F, which ended up working great, but I'm not sure what else will work. I was thinking about putting it on a piece of cast iron just to be safe, but it seems like the bowl still would have trouble heating up that way.

I have a giant one of these and will be doing bibimbap for 2 all winter. Can't wait for it to get chillier. On a weekend I might do "meal prep" and just make a deli pint container full of each component so I can assemble one quickly any given night.

Yes, use your oven. Make each component individually and just kind of build the bowl in the oven so everything stays warm while your rice crisps.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pollyanna posted:

I get my cooking liquids, gochu, frozen gyoza and dumplings from hmart. It’s pretty cool, got a lot of selection and kitchen tools. No idea what to do with most of the meal kits though.
There's a Super G Mart in Greensboro NC that has a bunch of Korean stuff, along with some Japanese and Chinese stuff and another wing of other foreign foods. I went there to get the Samyang X2 spicy ramen because I hate the inside of my mouth, and also got a bag of dumplings and a tub of gochujang. I finally used the gochujang tonight making southern shrimp and grits, and it went well. The shrimp just with some sauce is fine, but if I include the liquid it gets a little too spicy. A little goes a long way.

Two thumbs up!

Are there any other good ways to use it? The tub says it's good for 70+ servings which is way more than I was expecting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use a tablespoon each of gochujang and gochugaru when I make tofu stew. I goes real quick if you make it 3 times a week.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Dakgalbi, spicy sondubu jjigae, any Japanese curry you want to make a bit spicier, any stew you want to be spicier. 4 Tbs gochujang, 1/2 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 3 Tbsp water makes bibim sauce, which you can then throw on anything. Mix with some deonjang, grill some pork belly, and slap it on top and shove in your mouth.

Gochujang will last for a long time provided you store it in a cool dark place (your fridge), so don't worry about going through it too quickly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

There's a Super G Mart in Greensboro NC that has a bunch of Korean stuff, along with some Japanese and Chinese stuff and another wing of other foreign foods. I went there to get the Samyang X2 spicy ramen because I hate the inside of my mouth, and also got a bag of dumplings and a tub of gochujang. I finally used the gochujang tonight making southern shrimp and grits, and it went well. The shrimp just with some sauce is fine, but if I include the liquid it gets a little too spicy. A little goes a long way.

Two thumbs up!

Are there any other good ways to use it? The tub says it's good for 70+ servings which is way more than I was expecting.
:hfive: Super G fuckin' rules, it's my regular grocery. They've got some real good kimchi there, and I always forget which one's the Great Kimchi and wind up leaving the store with something disappointing more often than not.

I disagree with what FelicityGS said above. Gochujang will not last a long time, because once you start realizing how much good flavor it adds, you'll empty the tub in a week. Start making bibim sauce and marinating things in it or pouring on things afterwards or even just like, make some, then dip the dumplings you bought in it.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Nephzinho posted:

I have a giant one of these and will be doing bibimbap for 2 all winter. Can't wait for it to get chillier. On a weekend I might do "meal prep" and just make a deli pint container full of each component so I can assemble one quickly any given night.

Yes, use your oven. Make each component individually and just kind of build the bowl in the oven so everything stays warm while your rice crisps.

Thanks for that tip. I actually went and picked up a small actual stone bowl too, thinking a layer of seasoning might get a better crisp going.

Also grabbed some korean soy sauce (501), and it's really good, definitely a different element of flavor there.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

501 doesn't mean anything outside the brand--Sempyo/샘표. who use numbers and grades on all their stuff. That's Yangjo soy sauce, which is fermented longer and shouldn't be cooked with cause it destroys the flavours. It's ideal for cold banchans and as a topping/dipping sauce though

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Ah got it. Didn't realize that about cooking. Didn't seem like the stone bowl's extra cooking effect hurt it too much though, it was great in mixed into a bibimbap sauce.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It shouldn't, it's more that simmering/boiling flattens out the flavor a lot. So you use a more generic soy sauce like a Yamasa for cooking and save your fancy double brewed stuff for uncooked finishing sauce or dipping sushi or whatever.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
So in re: kimchi. I got a jar from a lady at the farmer's market either in the spring or summer, presumably this year. How long is it reasonable to assume it's safe? It's still sealed in a jar which has been living in the fridge, never opened.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If it's not fuzzy, it's fine. It gradually gets more sour but it doesn't go bad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Cool, I'm going to make some japchae and eat that kimchi with it. If I die, I'm haunting GWS and messing up everyone's souffles.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Hell yeah

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, made kimchi like I always do, but somehow this turned into the mildest kimchi I've had in ages. Somehow the cabbages gave off like 3x the liquid as usual and it's diluted as heck.

Oh well, still crunchy delicious. Might have to make a second batch or maybe some radish.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp, made kimchi like I always do, but somehow this turned into the mildest kimchi I've had in ages. Somehow the cabbages gave off like 3x the liquid as usual and it's diluted as heck.

Oh well, still crunchy delicious. Might have to make a second batch or maybe some radish.

Do you have a go-to recipe? I'm looking to make some and curious what you put in your seasoning paste.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The kimchi paste is some combination of gochu flakes, garlic, herbs or whatever, seojeot (fermented mini shrimps), fish sauce, ginger, and a glutionious rice flour boiled into a paste with a little water. This varies from family to family and recipe to recipe, but that's the gist.

This is bapsang's traditional recipe Napa Cabbage Kimchi. She only does one cabbage, so it's a pretty manageable recipe to try if you're not sure what you're doing/haven't made kimchi before.

I wouldn't actually know how it turns out because my friend's mom is giving me another tub of kimchi again this year, so I didn't need to make any during kimchi making season at end of last month :smug:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Making some bulgogi tonight. Got it marinating now. Couldn't find korean pepper flakes so I just used regular old red and compensated with a bit more gochujang. Should be tasty.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I use gochugaru but honestly it's not a super distinct flavor like the dried Sichuan chilies or anything, should be fine. Get 'em online for next time though!

E: And I think I mentioned it but for purely adding hot without changing things, sriracha's garlic heavy heat blends very well with Korean flavors.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
snip

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 10, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pork bulgogi? looks great. I personally like a little charring on it.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Some char would have been fabulous but I'm not grilling in the rain in December.

Not sure how I'd grill this anyway without everything falling through into the fire and being a huge pain.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can just cook it longer or higher heat in the pan. I guess it's just burning the sugars.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

You can just cook it longer or higher heat in the pan. I guess it's just burning the sugars.

Yeah true. Didn't want to walk that fine line the first time I made the dish though.

Grand Fromage posted:

E: And I think I mentioned it but for purely adding hot without changing things, sriracha's garlic heavy heat blends very well with Korean flavors.

I was actually trying to keep the heat down (sacrilege I know) for more sensitive palates in my family.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 9, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Post some loving Korean food you jerks.

Butcher had short ribs on sale this week. lovely picture on my lovely Korean phone of some tasty gigantic galbijjim.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

But that means I have to cook and not depressed make instant noodles again.

Your galbitang looking good

Here's a grilled mackerel

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Good timing, I just made some kimchi.

I think I'll try to make some tofu/kimchi dumplings at least. What else goes well in the filling?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Glass noodles/dangmyeon, carrots, I think maybe some minced cabbage.

The glass noodles are non optional for Korean dumpling filling though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

Glass noodles/dangmyeon, carrots, I think maybe some minced cabbage.

The glass noodles are non optional for Korean dumpling filling though.

Should I cook the carrot after shredding, or will the steaming usually be enough?

Also, how long would you keep thawed but unopened wrappers in the fridge? I put some in but this week may not be a good week for it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Okay braintrust, I made entirely too much Kimchi. apart from eating it straight ut of the jar when drunk, what are some good uses for this?

Have already done some pretty great kimchi fried rice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kimchi jjigae, kimchi jeon, kimchi jjim, uhhh kimchi salt, kimchi powder, kimchi snickerdoodles

you can also make sure it's submerged in liquid and forget about it for like 9 months in the back of the fridge and have some really good aged kimchi for jjigae

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kimchi bokkeum is the easiest simple alternative to eating it straight, just toss kimchi in a pan (no oil needed) and cook it for a while. Tastes totally different.

Kimchi's a good addition to a Japanese nabe too.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Kimchi bokkeum is the easiest simple alternative to eating it straight, just toss kimchi in a pan (no oil needed) and cook it for a while. Tastes totally different.

Kimchi's a good addition to a Japanese nabe too.

Kimchi bokkeum is the first step to kimchi fried rice, which you should definitely make. And to make sure it's very unhealthy, cover it in a sauce made of queso blanco. It owns.

Kimchi nabe is good.

Isn't kimchi also used in buddae jjigae? Wouldn't know, I think buddaejjigae is awful. But if so there's another use.

Mostly people just eat with every single meal. All of them.

eta: everything in korea gets covered in cheese eventually so don't feel like it's inauthentic or whatever bullshit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You don't like a stew made of cheap instant ramen, spam, Kraft cheese, and kimchi? It can hit the spot sometimes.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry I don't like hot dog water.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Spicy hot dog water

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suggestions on how to prepare these? I assume they’re fully cooked and just need reheating? Does gochujang sauce go with them?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would crisp them up in a pan with a neutral tasting oil. Cook for 3-4 minute then flip when it's golden brown and delicious. You typically eat them with a dipping sauce that has soy sauce, sesame oil, onions, dried gochukaru flakes, ginger, etc. But just soy sauce works too. I wouldn't use gochujang but go wild if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mu Zeta posted:

I would crisp them up in a pan with a neutral tasting oil. Cook for 3-4 minute then flip when it's golden brown and delicious. You typically eat them with a dipping sauce that has soy sauce, sesame oil, onions, dried gochukaru flakes, ginger, etc. But just soy sauce works too. I wouldn't use gochujang but go wild if you want.

the basic ingredients of the dipping sauce for these type of jeon are soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, (bit of water). The rest of the ingredients are optional, but usually the stuff already listed, including minced garlic and of course some roasted sesame seeds