Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

If you don't put a lil gochukaru and some minced up spring onions and some sesame oil in your dipping sauce, what is even the point :colbert: If you use sugar over honey or rice syrup, make sure it's brown sugar too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

paraquat posted:

the basic ingredients of the dipping sauce for these type of jeon are soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, (bit of water). The rest of the ingredients are optional, but usually the stuff already listed, including minced garlic and of course some roasted sesame seeds

I hate rice vinegar and don't like sweet foods.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I have bad news about Korean food then

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I pretty much live on kimchi, steamed eggs, and stews so it's great. I feel like 99% of the korean food I taste isn't sweet at all and I can't recall any dishes with vinegar. Though I know it's weird that I don't like gochujang.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you don't like vinegar, sweet, or gochujang you've eliminated like 95% of Korean food. This is almost as wild as the person I met there who refused to touch fish, pork, or rice.

I'm really not trying to be a dick but I am curious what you're eating that's Korean and doesn't involve any of those flavors. Just barbecue I guess? There aren't any Korean sauces I can think of that don't involve at least a bit of sugar, though there are ones where the sugar is there only as a flavor enhancer and the final product isn't sweet.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Here is some content, I made dakbokkeumtang for dinner but then I added rice because rice in dakbokkeumtang owns.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is that in a slow cooker or something?

I did one part soy sauce, one part rice vinegar, one part water, a half-teaspoon of minced garlic, a drop of ra-yu, a drop of sesame oil, and a couple pinches of roasted sesame for the dipping sauce. Tastes good. I'll report back on the cakes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

looks like a variation on a claypot pretty much every soup comes in

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

looks like a variation on a claypot pretty much every soup comes in

Yup! It's one of these, I love mine.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Mu Zeta posted:

You don't like a stew made of cheap instant ramen, spam, Kraft cheese, and kimchi? It can hit the spot sometimes.

I just made a dutch oven full and it always goes over very well with my family. I don't totally cheap out even though I know that's the point of the dish. Maybe what I make shouldn't even be called by that name, who knows. Spam, kielbasa, frozen jiaozi, daikon, sugar snap peas, spinach, a lot of kimchi, enoki and shimeji mushrooms, ramen noodles. I change it around a lot, but I just can't do the baked beans and cheese, I tried them once. It's one of the easiest and fastest ways to feed a crowd something nourishing in cold weather.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Uh. I think I read someplace that I can use Maesil in lieu of having Asian/Korean pears. Should I use this stuff (watered down, it says 4:1) in equal amounts of replacing the Asian pear?

What I'm about to use it for it a bulgolgi marinade from the blog linked earlier in the thread.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It should be fine, though I've never done that particular substitution myself. The flavors should be similar enough in a bulgogi marinade.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I got a delivery yesterday

My friend's mom made kimchi.... ages ago, and my friend finally brought me the tub set aside for me.

Step one: chop it up

Fry with some green onion, rice, garlic, whatever you could technically make this with nothing but kimchi and rice but who does that?, add an egg

It's been so long.... :unsmith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
very nice! that's a picture perfect egg right there

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

순두부찌개/Sundubu jjigae is one of my top fave types of jjigae. It's relatively simple and can be made a ton of ways; my favourite sundubu place makes both white sundubu jjigae and small octopus (nakji/낙지) sundubu jjigae and both are phenomenal.

Since I got the mom kimchi, I made some 얼큰순두부찌개/eolkeun sundubu jjigae for dinner; this is a slight variation on what my friend's mom makes.

If you can't find sundubu, get a soft tofu and mash it up with the side of your knife and it'll do. It isn't quite the same, but sometimes you want sundubu and don't have the right tofu for it.

a spoon is like... basically a tablespoon I think? She just uses one of the metal/wood spoons you'd eat with.

This makes enough for four people if you're doing a proper meal (rice, several banchan, some sort of protein centerpiece, and your shared soup), or 2-3 if you're just splitting it and eating it on its own.

You need

Seasoning
-2 spoons of gochukaru
-a pinch of brown sugar
-1 to 2 spoons of soy sauce
-half a spoonish of mirin (맛술/matsul in Korean)
-a little bit of salt to taste
-pepper to taste

Mix in bowl and set aside.

The pot stuff
-1 pack of sundubu (about 400g)
-a heaping spoon of minced pork
-4-5 leaves off GOOD kimchi, ideally fresher, but it works with old stuff too; chop this up into bite sized pieces
-an egg for each person you are serving (unless you're a stingy monster)
-1 cheongyang pepper 청양고추, sliced (optional)
-some mushrooms of choice (i like king oysters or shiitake, but mushrooms all own really)
-4 or 5 large cloves of garlic, minced
-the bottom half a leek, sliced
-2 cups of dashima soup broth minimum (if you don't have any, boil a couple anchovies and some dashima/konbu? for like 10 minutes ish, now you have some)

Toppings
-the green part of the leek, finely sliced
-some sesame or perilla oil
-roasted sesame seeds if they don't absolutely ruin your day

Directions
1. Chop all your poo poo up if you haven't already.

2. In your pot of choice (clay pots own for this but I was making enough to have leftovers), add oil and heat over a medium flame. Add the bottom half of the leek, pork, and garlic and fry until it smells good. You'll note I don't have pork here and that's because I didn't think about making this until I got in the door tonight and gently caress going back out.

3. Once it smells good, dump in the seasoning and fry a bit more until it's well coated. Your gochukaru is prob fresher than mine, and likely to have a much stronger red color.

4. Once it's all coated and mostly boiled off, dump in your kimchi and fry it for a few minutes.

5. Add your dashima broth in, and more water if you want it be more soupy. Like a soupy loving monster.

6. Bring the whole thing to a boil; once it's boiling, dump in your sundubu and mix thoroughly. Bring it back to a boil.

7. Add your mushrooms and cheongyang pepper (I didn't use tonight, i'm out), lower heat to medium low flame, let it simmer until the mushrooms are cooked.

8. Add your eggs and stare and make sure the yolk doesn't cook but the white sort of does, then turn the heat off.

9. Portion (if sharing)(if using a clay pot, just dump toppings on), then drizzle your sesame/perilla oil on top, green part of the leek, and sesame seeds (if using). Be bold like me and also add a bunch of fresh perilla because it's your own home and Kimchi Mom is not here to judge you.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I goofed up and got Korean chili powder instead of gochugaru last month. Have gotten the correct stuff since, but now I have this chili powder sitting unused.

Any recipe suggestions/advice for using up this chili powder? Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have no idea what Korean chili powder would be if it isn't gochugaru. Can you post pics of it? If it has a Korean label we can figure out what it is.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The chili powder I got by mistake on the left, gochugaru on the right.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Huh. No idea, I'd guess it's just finely ground gochugaru? It does come in coarser and finer versions.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Huh. No idea, I'd guess it's just finely ground gochugaru? It does come in coarser and finer versions.

After doing some Googling, that does make sense. The stuff in the link looks like what I've got.

What would be the uses of finely-ground vs coarsely-ground? I just wanted to pick some up for kimchi jigae and budae jigae, but i guess either would do fine in those dishes.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Got some real deal made in Korea gochujang and boy is it better than the gringo poo poo I'd been using previously. I need to do it some justice by making something actually Korean with it rather than my usual bastardized pan-Asian stir fry.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Make dakbokkeumtang.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
What are people's favorite jeon variations? I've been doing a lot of pajeon lately, as well as carrot and zucchini versions, but I'd be interested in anyone's favorite (non-seafood) jeon recipes. (Kimchi is not available to me right now, sadly [no, can't get the stuff to make it, either])

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Hey, I've never noticed this thread, this is exciting, gonna try a bunch of these recipes....

I'm getting into making kimchi - does the whole-leaf method give you a substantially better product than chopping it before fermentation (mak kimchi style)? My first couple batches actually turned out really well, so if there's something to be gained I'll find a bigger fermentation container.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think there's any real difference. Chopping it first makes it way easier to deal with when you're going to use it later.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like doing whole leaf cuz I like to take the super aged stuff and do a kimchi/pork mille feuille hot pot type layering situation or stuffed cabbage rolls.

I do tend to make one big jar of whole leaf every season and then smaller jars of chopped every month or so for quick eating.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What are people's favorite jeon variations? I've been doing a lot of pajeon lately, as well as carrot and zucchini versions, but I'd be interested in anyone's favorite (non-seafood) jeon recipes. (Kimchi is not available to me right now, sadly [no, can't get the stuff to make it, either])

I'll do whatever random poo poo I have in the fridge. Shredded green cabbage, garlic chives, bean sprouts, mushrooms, mashed potatoes, etc have all been pretty decent pancakes.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Unfortunate, kimchi jeon is def one of my top tier. I really beoseotjeon (mushroom jeon) which uses the small size king oyster mushrooms, shiitakes, and enoki mushrooms. Buchujeon own bones, if you can get hold of some chives. You can use garlic scapes for jeon too, just shred them properly.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

I like doing whole leaf cuz I like to take the super aged stuff and do a kimchi/pork mille feuille hot pot type layering situation or stuffed cabbage rolls.

I do tend to make one big jar of whole leaf every season and then smaller jars of chopped every month or so for quick eating.

I'll do whatever random poo poo I have in the fridge. Shredded green cabbage, garlic chives, bean sprouts, mushrooms, mashed potatoes, etc have all been pretty decent pancakes.

MASHED POTATO YOU SAY

Holy poo poo.

FelicityGS posted:

Unfortunate, kimchi jeon is def one of my top tier. I really beoseotjeon (mushroom jeon) which uses the small size king oyster mushrooms, shiitakes, and enoki mushrooms. Buchujeon own bones, if you can get hold of some chives. You can use garlic scapes for jeon too, just shred them properly.

Hmm, those are all actually doable (different mushrooms, but I live near the mountains, so finding cool mushrooms even at the supermarket does happen).

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I miss kimchi so much.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made this soup tonight, it was really good. the base would be great with noodles:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I made dakbokkeumtang I think

It wasn't as red as others I've seen but it tasted pretty good

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Would eat both.

Gochukaru and gochu in general can dye stuff more or less red to be honest. My old gochukaru doesn't really make stuff super red but the point is it tastes good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Make Korean food.

I made a haemul kimchi sundubu jiigae. Leftover grilled mackerel, fish cakes, shrimp. It was very good.

The rice looks a lil weird because it was a pack from the freezer.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone tried to make gochujang before? I saw a few videos and it looked like an interesting project. A lot of people used both malted barley/sweet rice and then a bunch of rice syrup. I wonder if I can get away without most of the rice syrup, just mainly stick to a well-converted barley/rice wort that's fairly sweet.

I live near an H-mart so I can hopefully get the meju powder there. I'm definitely not brave enough to make my own meju, at least yet.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Had to buy gochugaru, which takes a 15 minute bike ride, so not that big of a problem, but it was just enough to find this kimchi recipe that doesn't use gochugaru.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/how-to-make-kimchi-scallion-apple-kimchi-recipe-korean-pickle-recipe

Anyway, long story short, I made it and tasted the slurry right before closing the lid on the batch.....and now I cannot wait for the fermentation to be complete.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm looking for a Korean-language cooking youtube where they speak, similar to Xiaoying Cuisine but Korean, something with EN subs. The trend seems to be ASMR-style silent cooking videos with subtitles. It doesn't even need to have english subs honestly, can anyone recommend a good channel for short recipe videos with voice? My korean is too weak to search for what I want.

In penance I made 잡채 the other day and it was amazing. Ended up making way too much for 2 people so no banchan, just rice.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
This is a fun channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyn-K7rZLXjGl7VXGweIlcA

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got a question about making kimchi,

I made some radish kimchi a month and half? ago and I ate almost all of it but there's some left and some juices in the jar.

Now I got a big napa cabbage and want to make that into kimchi, should I dump the remains of the radish kimchi in with it, or is there some downside?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I got a question about making kimchi,

I made some radish kimchi a month and half? ago and I ate almost all of it but there's some left and some juices in the jar.

Now I got a big napa cabbage and want to make that into kimchi, should I dump the remains of the radish kimchi in with it, or is there some downside?

No, as long as you don't see any mold, this is actually pretty standard practice and a good way to jump-start fermentation (if I remember correctly).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No, as long as you don't see any mold, this is actually pretty standard practice and a good way to jump-start fermentation (if I remember correctly).

Sadly there was a little bit of white fuzzy mold on the radish kimchee dregs so i just tossed it.

Happily my fresh beautiful bag of gochugaru arrived so i got two insanely good smelling jars of napa cabbage kimchi going now.

I didnt have sweet rice flour or whatevs so I just boiled some rice for a while until it turned into paste and used that.

Also added some leek, and I didnt have the korean shrimps or anything like that so I just did thai fish sauce and my secret ingredient chinese dried scallops :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I made Kenji’s version of 떡볶이 and was wondering if the rice cakes are used in any other dishes? I bought a bunch and don’t want to limit my options.