Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

There are also different styles of ddeokbokki, with different kinds of sauces. You can also make rabbeoki--ramen with ddeok as well, perfect for when you just want as many carbs as possible.

ETA: and while they aren't slices, you could probably still use them for ddeokguk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Torquemada posted:

I made Kenji’s version of 떡볶이 and was wondering if the rice cakes are used in any other dishes? I bought a bunch and don’t want to limit my options.

Use 'em in anything. Soups, stir-fries, slice them up and make a supremely unhealthy carbjeon? Makes a great mac and cheese.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Helpful replies, thanks. I figured I could use them in anything, it was more wondering if actual Koreans use them in anything. This is the first Korean thing I ever made, and I know for example, Italians wouldn’t generally use triofe with ragu, so I was just seeing if there were any proscriptions like that. Although since the OP says ‘boil the poo poo out of it for an hour’ is the default cooking method I’m probably overthinking it :D

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Another common place they appear: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/dak-galbi/ This is one of my favorite Korean things and is very easy to throw together for a weeknight meal.

But basically all of the white cooking ddeok are interchangeable. They're the same material in different shapes. Koreans will use the specific shape for the specific dish, but if that's what you got then it doesn't really matter if they're stick form or flat and round or whatever.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Man, I haven't had dakgalbi in ages, now I want some.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This is Korean food.

Some backstory:

In 2004, Korea Kellogg had a poll for the new chex flavor. Onion won in a landslide.

Kellogg I'm guessing didn't expect this, because they did not release onion. They released chocolate

In the hell year of 2020, Korea Kellogg finally released the Onion Chex. They are here, and I have a box. (edit: The commercial for announcing it is a pretty funny apology song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IM_yd8eLPs )

An inspector:

As shown by how he's not running, these don't smell very oniony. They also don't taste very oniony dry. They're actually a pretty inoffensive booze snack dry. Would eat again with some cider or a beer.

But Chex is a cereal.

We need milk.

Report:

There is no god. We knew that already, but milk and onion chex confirms it.

The milk makes what little onion flavor there is suddenly front and center. At first, the soggy ones on the bottom were edible because they had no flavor. Then I discovered that's because the milk is now tainted by onion and now it is all supersatured milk and leek.

Onion Chex: Good beer snack, never ever eat with milk. Not even once.

felgs fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 16, 2020

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

FelicityGS posted:

In 2004, Korea Kellogg had a poll for the new chex flavor. Onion won in a landslide.

This post is awesome. But why, 16 years later, did they go through with this? A popular uprising? Overwhelming guilt? Drugs?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

From my understanding, people just kept asking them "where are the onion chex?" over the years. I have no idea why now specifically, other than it's 2020 and nothing makes sense anyway.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I need that box of oniony bad boys.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Can I get some help? I have 7 lbs of kimchi. Also picked up some rice noodles and fish sauce while I was in the city. What delicious thing can I make? I have fried fish in the kimchi before and enjoyed it (immensly).

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

excellent bird guy posted:

Can I get some help? I have 7 lbs of kimchi. Also picked up some rice noodles and fish sauce while I was in the city. What delicious thing can I make? I have fried fish in the kimchi before and enjoyed it (immensly).

You can make kimchi jiggae or kimchi fried rice or kimchi pancakes or just eat it as it is

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fried kimchi is good (kimchibokkeum), and there's pork braised with kimchi that shows up at lunch I have no idea the name of, as well as the above.

Kimchi added as a guksu or ramen topping is also p great.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

So I love Korean food, but I don't cook it very often. That's mostly because I don't want to stock a ton of ingredients that I'm only going to cook sometimes, thanks to the demands of young children and a spouse who aren't quite as into, say, dried squid as I am. But there are a few dishes that are in my regular rotation, like pajeon, kimchi fried rice, and sundubu jjigae. And I always have kimchi and gochujang in the fridge.

Anyway, I was thinking about those two and made up a batch of Korean-influenced sausages the other day, using kimchi, gochujang and a nice hit of garlic powder.

They were pretty great! The kimchi kept them nice and juicy, and they were just a little spicy. Next time I'd up the gochujang by a bit, or maybe add some gochugaru to give them a little more punch.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Zombie Dachshund posted:

So I love Korean food, but I don't cook it very often. That's mostly because I don't want to stock a ton of ingredients that I'm only going to cook sometimes, thanks to the demands of young children and a spouse who aren't quite as into, say, dried squid as I am. But there are a few dishes that are in my regular rotation, like pajeon, kimchi fried rice, and sundubu jjigae. And I always have kimchi and gochujang in the fridge.

Anyway, I was thinking about those two and made up a batch of Korean-influenced sausages the other day, using kimchi, gochujang and a nice hit of garlic powder.

They were pretty great! The kimchi kept them nice and juicy, and they were just a little spicy. Next time I'd up the gochujang by a bit, or maybe add some gochugaru to give them a little more punch.

That looks fantastic. But I have no idea how anyone would make a sausage.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cheese Thief posted:

That looks fantastic. But I have no idea how anyone would make a sausage.

Its actually surprisingly easy with the right equipment and I would recommend it :)

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

feedmegin posted:

Its actually surprisingly easy with the right equipment and I would recommend it :)

If you don’t stuff the sausages, it’s even easier! You’re just mixing ground meat with salt and spices.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Can you make sagol broth in a pressure cooker or is there not enough agitation going on in there to create the cloudy white broth?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's the typical ratio for boricha? I think I had it at a korean restaurant a while back, they served us some tea that tasted kind of roasty. And is it usually boiled for a while? I got a big bag of roasted barley now so I've got to make some tea.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Made some biji jjigae from dried kong for the first time (in Korea I would just buy biji from a market) and it came out tasting just fine but there were definitely some crunchy bigger chunks in it. Was that just a matter of not simmering long enough or should I have blended/ground it finer?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

What is Bili up to?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hmmmmm

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oh yeah, that's the stuff...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I love this simple vegetarian bi bim bop recipe so much. Iron skillet serves well as a dolsat, gives plenty of crispy rice

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That looks stupendous!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thank you! Its the comfiest of comfort food too, so tasty

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I recently got our Lord and Saviour Kenji's children's book and now I must make bibimbop with my boy. I procured a tub of genuine gochujang sauce. Where do I go from here?

This looks super promising, but what are the steps, and how do I know I've done it right?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bibimbap is less a recipe and more a set of suggestions. It's rice with seasoned vegetables and sometimes meat/egg with a gochujang sauce mixed through.

If you want a recipe to look through, Korean Bapsang is always a good start.

I typically use it as a clear out all the bits and pieces and older veg meal. It's usually something like carrot, greens, zucchini, bean sprouts and an egg. You can get super fancy sourcing ~~~~traditional ingredients~~~ or just stir fry poo poo up with sesame oil and some salt or soy sauce and pile it on.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There was an attempt:

...and it was pretty good! Beef frying needs work, but otherwise it was good and pretty authentic (I think.)

Sauce was spicy but had interesting stuff going on as well. Rice crisped up nicely but didn't burn. Will definitely be trying this again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looks better than any bibimbap I ever saw in Korea. An authentic bibimbap is too wet rice with vegetables that have been boiled to death and smothered in so much sesame oil they taste of nothing else, left to get cold, then a splorch of straight gochujang in the middle. Then you sigh and are sad.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks better than any bibimbap I ever saw in Korea. An authentic bibimbap is too wet rice with vegetables that have been boiled to death and smothered in so much sesame oil they taste of nothing else, left to get cold, then a splorch of straight gochujang in the middle. Then you sigh and are sad.

Wow... what gives? I’ve never been to Korea but I’ve had bibimbap tons of times in the US and it has always been pretty great. It’s one of those things you’ll see even at Korean-owned diners, next to pancakes or burgers or whatever, and it’s reliably tasty. So why is it bad in Korea?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Wow... what gives? I’ve never been to Korea but I’ve had bibimbap tons of times in the US and it has always been pretty great. It’s one of those things you’ll see even at Korean-owned diners, next to pancakes or burgers or whatever, and it’s reliably tasty. So why is it bad in Korea?

It's mostly served at cheap quick food places like 김밥천국 and so on, so it's not very good

You can get very good 돌솥비빔밥/stone bowl bibimbap at this one place in Jeonju and it owns, but you pretty much have to go out of your way in Korea to get good bibimbap.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My take, this is extremely common in every country on Earth. Sturgeon’s Law says 90% of everything is crap, and this is a figure I tend to agree with. While the platonic ideal of pretty much anything edible is great, the execution is another matter.

Take coffee for example. It’s available in every country on the planet, tens of millions of people make it every day: how many of those cups are great? good? ok? barely passable? horrible?

It doesn’t surprise me that the OP, while loving Korean food, finds it executed poorly everywhere, because that’s the normal state of affairs for most things everywhere.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

FelicityGS posted:

It's mostly served at cheap quick food places like 김밥천국 and so on, so it's not very good

You can get very good 돌솥비빔밥/stone bowl bibimbap at this one place in Jeonju and it owns, but you pretty much have to go out of your way in Korea to get good bibimbap.

Haha, was just about to post that the worst bibimbap I ever had was at some fancyish place in Jeonju (probably not the one you're thinking of).

I honestly only had bad bibimbap there and from one or two snack places, but I didn't order it often because it was usually what was given to me at work parties because "all foreigners like bibimbap." (Although I didn't mind.)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I've had a lot of decent bibimbap in Korea, but I've also had a lot of really, really bad bibimbap.

Torquemada posted:

It doesn’t surprise me that the OP, while loving Korean food, finds it executed poorly everywhere, because that’s the normal state of affairs for most things everywhere.

And yeah, terrible examples of dishes is not a uniquely Korean food problem.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Haha, was just about to post that the worst bibimbap I ever had was at some fancyish place in Jeonju (probably not the one you're thinking of).

I honestly only had bad bibimbap there and from one or two snack places, but I didn't order it often because it was usually what was given to me at work parties because "all foreigners like bibimbap." (Although I didn't mind.)

Yeah, the place I went had been serving only dolsotbibimbap since the 80s, and your only choice was whether you wanted pork or beef for the meat; there were more drinks than dishes.

It was very very good and I hope they survived covid so I can eat there again after vaccine. And also remember what back alley it was on.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

FelicityGS posted:

Yeah, the place I went had been serving only dolsotbibimbap since the 80s, and your only choice was whether you wanted pork or beef for the meat; there were more drinks than dishes.

It was very very good and I hope they survived covid so I can eat there again after vaccine. And also remember what back alley it was on.

You got to pick your meat?? I am already there (in my heart).

Tonight I am making an abomination: chorizo bibimbap, extra kimchi. I think it's gonna own bones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Assorted reasons. One is what FelicityGS said, at most restaurants bibimbap is just on the menu so they have some way of disposing of trash. You really have to go to a specialty dolsot place if you want something that isn't terrible. That's a factor too, I find a lot of people outside Korea don't understand that bibimbap and dolsot bibimbap are different and think that all bibimbap is dolsot. Dolsot is better. Most bibimbap is not dolsot.

Also, anyone who's lived in Korea is likely to have an aversion to bibimbap because about 10-15 years ago, Korea decided that bibimbap is the food foreigners like and started pushing it hard. Full page NYT ads and such. So when you live there, you're constantly being given lovely bibimbap because you're a foreigner and bibimbap is the food for foreigners, right? It gets real old. And IMO even a good bibimbap is one of the least interesting Korean foods, so there's no situation where I want it.

If you're making your own, I can imagine it being good. I can't imagine ever ordering or making it personally. I've had enough. Please don't take it as critical if you love bibimbap, go for it. But if you go to Korea some day do not just order bibimbap at a rando restaurant, find a specialty place.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2021

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Assorted reasons. One is what FelicityGS said, at most restaurants bibimbap is just on the menu so they have some way of disposing of trash. You really have to go to a specialty dolsot place if you want something that isn't terrible. That's a factor too, I find a lot of people outside Korea don't understand that bibimbap and dolsot bibimbap are different and think that all bibimbap is dolsot. Dolsot is better. Most bibimbap is not dolsot.

Also, anyone who's lived in Korea is likely to have an aversion to bibimbap because about 10-15 years ago, Korea decided that bibimbap is the food foreigners like and started pushing it hard. Full page NYT ads and such. So when you live there, you're constantly being given lovely bibimbap because you're a foreigner and bibimbap is the food for foreigners, right? It gets real old. And IMO even a good bibimbap is one of the least interesting Korean foods, so there's no situation where I want it.

If you're making your own, I can imagine it being good. I can't imagine ever ordering or making it personally. I've had enough. Please don't take it as critical if you love bibimbap, go for it. But if you go to Korea some day do not just order bibimbap at a rando restaurant, find a specialty place.

That makes all kinds of sense, thanks. It tracks with my experience in the US, too, where if there is one Korean dish on a menu, it will be bibimbap (or more recently, Korean tacos.) I’ll eat it at a place like that, and I’ll make it at home to use up leftovers. But it’s not what I’ll order at a Korean restaurant.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

bolind posted:

I recently got our Lord and Saviour Kenji's children's book and now I must make bibimbop with my boy. I procured a tub of genuine gochujang sauce. Where do I go from here?

This looks super promising, but what are the steps, and how do I know I've done it right?

I follow these general steps

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-korean-dolsot-bibimbap-with-vegetables-and-tofu-164939

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Bumping this thread for a kimchi question. I'm about a week past the initial fermentation and I'm happy with the flavor but it's more watery than I'd like. Is there any way l can thicken it at this point?