Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nothing I can think of that wouldn't be weird. I'd just drain off the excess liquid, it's good added to marinades and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Steal the liquid for fried rice.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or kimchi pancake batter

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Or a bloody mary

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Or your next batch of kimchi!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My mom immigrated from Korea maybe 40 years ago at this point. She's knows how to cook most traditional korean dishes and ingredients. I want to learn her recipes so they're not lost when she is gone. If you built a list of traditional korean dishes, what would it look like? My mom has no idea how to spell the things she makes in english so a korean translation is key to capturing her repertoire.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

What was for dinner tonight? Kimchi jjigae!

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/kimchi-stew-with-tofu-and-shiitakes/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've just got the need to eat Kimchi again recently (its been a few years) and then since its incredibly difficult to get it where I live (in the sticks) I decided to make my own.
Watched a bunch of YT videos, recipes etc.
But couldnt find exact ingredients online like Gochugaru which I could only find in a bean paste form at the time.
Made it last week, let it sit for a few days and have been eating it here and there.
Not quite right but still good.
Think I may have used too much spice.
I like spice but not hot.
Will probably try again in another week or 2.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What do you mean bean paste form? I’m having trouble picturing that.

I’d think getting the Napa cabbage would be the hard part!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

My guess is they meant gochujang.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Probably. And as you noticed, gochujang doesn't taste right. Dunno what country you're in but if it's the US ordering gochugaru online is easy. It's dried so it's no problem to transport by mail. It's used a lot, not just in kimchi, so worth having if you're going to Korea.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah this is in US, but I couldnt seem to find exactly what I needed as every link I could find on Amazon was partially in Korean and not translating right or product was out.
I took that as a last resort knowing it may not be right.
Still eating it, its a little off, but edible.
If anyone has a good link for my next try.
Walmart grocery would be great or Amazon.
I live in the sticks so Amazon fresh doesnt deliver here, so I tend to get my food deliveries from Walmart food.
Not sure if that falls under 'food' or not.
The one Asian grocery that was in my area is an empty husk for rent now.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 25, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/Tae-kyung-Ko...129&sr=8-2&th=1

This should be fine.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I'll give it a go then, looks in stock.
Thanks

So what ways would I use that paste i got?
Think this was it.

https://www.amazon.com/Chung-Jung-One-Gochujang-500g/dp/B013HB0CC4/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wow I thought this thread died. Gochujang is great for bimbimbap and kimbap. I like making Gochujang sauce and eat it with raw cucumbers.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/242123/gochujang-sauce/

That poo poo goes on everything. The OG Sriracha.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Inexplicably a company where I live in the NW of England has popped up making kimchi, and made me realise that the main mistake Ive been making on my own is not adding a ridiculous enougj amount of garlic

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Spuckuk posted:

Inexplicably a company where I live in the NW of England has popped up making kimchi, and made me realise that the main mistake Ive been making on my own is not adding a ridiculous enougj amount of garlic

Do share! I usually buy from my local-ish Korean restaurant's online shop but seems like they're not doing it at the moment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OgNar posted:

So what ways would I use that paste i got?
Think this was it.

https://www.amazon.com/Chung-Jung-One-Gochujang-500g/dp/B013HB0CC4/

Honestly I don't know how to answer this because so much Korean food uses gochujang. It's like asking how would I use salt. My advice is to head over to https://www.koreanbapsang.com/ and browse around for things that look good. Avoid Maangchi.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

eating only apples posted:

Do share! I usually buy from my local-ish Korean restaurant's online shop but seems like they're not doing it at the moment.

https://www.lovekimchi.co.uk/product/classic-kimchi/

These guys, local to me but I'm pretty sure they ship everywhere in the uk.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll save this thread from the grave!

Feeling homesick so I made my mom's bibimbap. I don't have any stone bowls to make it correctly so I just pan fried the rice until crispy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I discovered how easy and delicious kimbap is and now I'm worried this is going to get out control. In the meantime though, anyone have any favorite filling combos? I went pretty standard on this batch, carrots, spinach, egg, pickled radish, cucumber, with some chicken thigh in a spicy soy glaze. It didn't occur to me until after they were all rolled that I could have crisped up a quartered hot dog and put it in, but I'm willing to try it next time.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I discovered how easy and delicious kimbap is and now I'm worried this is going to get out control. In the meantime though, anyone have any favorite filling combos? I went pretty standard on this batch, carrots, spinach, egg, pickled radish, cucumber, with some chicken thigh in a spicy soy glaze. It didn't occur to me until after they were all rolled that I could have crisped up a quartered hot dog and put it in, but I'm willing to try it next time.

Spice up some canned tuna with gochujang/ketchup/honey (1/2/0,5) and use that as one of your fillings, also cucumber and surimi go well with this (fill it up further with stuff to your liking)

Oh, and yes, making kimbap is easy and it's delicious, but it's not unhealthy if your rice to veggies to protein ratio is up to par (which it normally is automatically), so go ahead and have some more!

Oh numer two: making kimbap is easy, but do you free roll? I discovered that using a bamboo "sushi" mat only complicates the process, especially when you're making kimbap with all those fillings.
Just make sure your hands are dry and roll your kimbap without a help, it's so much easier, because that way you actually feel what you're doing.

Anyway, I'm going to make some kimbap myself now, hungry!

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Does any one have a good Ssamjang recipe? Getting a bit tired of the standard one I have been using from the Koreatown cookbook.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Unknownmass posted:

Does any one have a good Ssamjang recipe? Getting a bit tired of the standard one I have been using from the Koreatown cookbook.

I don't have the Koreatown cookbook and I like the normal version of koreanbapsang (which is probably not very different from what you're already making?),
but she also gives some optional ingredients that might interest you:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/ssamjang-sauce-for-korean-lettuce-wraps/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
If anyone’s making their own kimchi: ripe sea bean kimchi is loving fantastic. It was a little lackluster fresh; the sea beans are super salty and it’s a little unbalanced. But once it has like 30-40 days of stink going on it’s bonkers levels of umami