Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
What type of rice do people in Korea normally prefer/eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FelicityGS posted:

White sticky rice, much like Japan.

That said, it's not uncommon for many other grains and such to be cooked in with it. Purple/black rice, chestnuts, different beans, different seeds (barley seeds were in the lunch rice today), actual barley or brown rice etc. If its tiny and can be steamed with the rice, it's probably something that gets added. Roast kim is also sometimes on top/mixed in.

If you want more info, I can actually look up the names in English of the stuff commonly mixed into rice.

I've seen (online) a lot of things they steam with rice, and I like that idea!
but I kept wondering about the type of rice.
So, to resemble it, I can use the same rice that I use for making sushi, right?

and I never heard or saw chestnuts being added to rice, that's awesome.
Barley is something I still need to try.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FelicityGS posted:

My favourite dolseot bibimbap place adds chestnuts to their rice and it's amazing, I definitely recommend it.

And yes, the same stuff you'd use for sushi works.

Excellent, thanks for your answers.
And I will definitely try chestnuts in my rice!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
The juk looks great! Hope you're feeling better.

In the meantime, I made Korean spicy dried squid (Ojingeochae Muchim) for the first time:

Anyway, too bad that I really really like this, because apparently, dried shredded squid costs a fortune.

I paid 4 euro's for 50 gram of dried squid.
That's about 4.46 US dollars for less than 2 oz (1.76 oz to be precise)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I made yak gochujang:

I pretty much used this recipe
https://mykoreankitchen.com/gochujang-sauce/

although I upped the amount of pine nuts
and I upped the amount in general by way too much :downs:

Other than using it every day for dinner for the next month (duh), I could use any and every suggestion you have!!
(besides tossing it, because it is WAY too good to be tossed :3: )

Seriously, give me as much ways to use this as possible...please

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Chiming in on the purple rice:
it's indeed slightly nutty, I like it a lot! (because it looks weird, is apparently healthy and tastes nice)

Ate it for the first time this week, with "spicy tuna": http://seonkyounglongest.com/spicy-tuna-recipe/

Right now I'm making a couple of banchan to eat with this.
Will be serving it to the BF this weekend, he saw the pic and is especially curious about the purple rice.
So I hope I can serve a proper-ish Korean meal this weekend.

FelicityGS, your food looks so good (although the cats are WAAAY too cute),
I love learning from you!

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 8, 2019

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
LMAO! Your dosirak and those links, that's all just way too cute.
it's not that I don't WANT to make lunchboxes like that, but my immediate coworker might hang herself if I brought anything close to that to work.
That's middle-aged woman who is a self-proclaimed bad cook...she does make "Chili", but if you ask for the specifics, she uses a tortilla wrap and a banana....that's when I stopped questioning her cooking skills ;-)

But seriously, I did google the banchan you used, well, the first three, because I wasn't sure what they were (I am familiar with the rest of them)....I LOVE the Korean kitchen and its banchans (not only the taste, but the way it changes the preparation of a meal)
Oh, and purple rice, that was such a great discovery :3:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm a gochujang addict!!

The best dipping sauce has a bit of vinegar added to it, especially great with veggies.
My own "recipe" is soy sauce/rice vinegar/sugar/gochujang in about a 2:2:1:1 ratio, so good!

Oh, and I learned about the existence of chogochujang after I've been eatingthis forever, so you might want to check that out sooner than I did.

Today I made mayak gimbap, filled them (non-traditionally) with rice, yak gochujang, cucumber and carrot
dipping sauce not pictured

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Making (prolly not really authentic) danmuji for the first time, some half moons to eat as is and some strips for my future gimbap
(I used turmeric powder insted of dried chija)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Keep being stuck at the Korean cuisine thing, seems like I'm stuck on the wrong side of the world...

Anyway, I made jjajangmyeon, according to Maanchi.
I liked her ingredients, but I did not like the outcome of the dish.
Apparently this poo poo needs a lot more salt (and gochugaru....yeah, I know.....sorry)

Also, I figured that with a rice cooker taking care of the rice and not needing a mat to roll anything, because I'm not stupid,
gimbap would be extremely easy to make. And I was right....throw your "sushi mats" in the bin, just by hand, you savages!

ground beef baked with gochujang, soy sauce and honey....and cheddar cheese, carrot, cucumber, surimi...

Rooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll

K, that was the first time rolled by hand, it only got better after this.
Also, I like the ground beef, but I adore spicy tuna ....it's all so cheap and easy and delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :3:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Actually, the rice in gimbap is flavored with salt and sesame oil.
It's not only really tasty, but it makes the rice easier to work with as well.

And this is a nice basic recipe:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/gimbapkimbap-korean-dried-seaweed-rolls/

And this is a fun recipe as well:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/mini-gimbap-mayak-gimbap/

And I'm not saying you should use lobster in your gimbap, but if you scroll forward to 08:10, you can see how easy it is to make gimbap, even without a sushi mat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zf--SCa1_0
I tried making gimbap without a sushi mat after seeing this video, and well....I'll never use one of those again, totally unnecessary ;-)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 26, 2019

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Well, I only know Korean recipes from the internet, and I've never seen or read a gimbap recipe made with plain rice,
but that must be a coincidence (or due to the sources I use)

I can strongly recommend salt and sesame oil, though!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Yeah, I love spicy, and I like to get the extra spicy gochujang, but apparently gochujang in America is only sold in a not so spicy variety. *

Btw, if you want to make kimchi, you don't need gochujang, but you do need gochugaru!
Gochugaru is Korean red pepper powder.
You cannot use any other pepper powder instead, because gochugaru has a specific taste and it is pretty much not spicy

* Korean recipes from Korean Americans often tell you that if you want to spice up your gochujang-containing dish, you should use some extra gochugaru.....to me that's like telling me to add bell pepper if I want my birds eye chilli-containing recipe a bit spicier

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mu Zeta posted:

I would crisp them up in a pan with a neutral tasting oil. Cook for 3-4 minute then flip when it's golden brown and delicious. You typically eat them with a dipping sauce that has soy sauce, sesame oil, onions, dried gochukaru flakes, ginger, etc. But just soy sauce works too. I wouldn't use gochujang but go wild if you want.

the basic ingredients of the dipping sauce for these type of jeon are soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, (bit of water). The rest of the ingredients are optional, but usually the stuff already listed, including minced garlic and of course some roasted sesame seeds

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Had to buy gochugaru, which takes a 15 minute bike ride, so not that big of a problem, but it was just enough to find this kimchi recipe that doesn't use gochugaru.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/how-to-make-kimchi-scallion-apple-kimchi-recipe-korean-pickle-recipe

Anyway, long story short, I made it and tasted the slurry right before closing the lid on the batch.....and now I cannot wait for the fermentation to be complete.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
This is a fun channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyn-K7rZLXjGl7VXGweIlcA

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

excellent bird guy posted:

Can I get some help? I have 7 lbs of kimchi. Also picked up some rice noodles and fish sauce while I was in the city. What delicious thing can I make? I have fried fish in the kimchi before and enjoyed it (immensly).

You can make kimchi jiggae or kimchi fried rice or kimchi pancakes or just eat it as it is

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I discovered how easy and delicious kimbap is and now I'm worried this is going to get out control. In the meantime though, anyone have any favorite filling combos? I went pretty standard on this batch, carrots, spinach, egg, pickled radish, cucumber, with some chicken thigh in a spicy soy glaze. It didn't occur to me until after they were all rolled that I could have crisped up a quartered hot dog and put it in, but I'm willing to try it next time.

Spice up some canned tuna with gochujang/ketchup/honey (1/2/0,5) and use that as one of your fillings, also cucumber and surimi go well with this (fill it up further with stuff to your liking)

Oh, and yes, making kimbap is easy and it's delicious, but it's not unhealthy if your rice to veggies to protein ratio is up to par (which it normally is automatically), so go ahead and have some more!

Oh numer two: making kimbap is easy, but do you free roll? I discovered that using a bamboo "sushi" mat only complicates the process, especially when you're making kimbap with all those fillings.
Just make sure your hands are dry and roll your kimbap without a help, it's so much easier, because that way you actually feel what you're doing.

Anyway, I'm going to make some kimbap myself now, hungry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Unknownmass posted:

Does any one have a good Ssamjang recipe? Getting a bit tired of the standard one I have been using from the Koreatown cookbook.

I don't have the Koreatown cookbook and I like the normal version of koreanbapsang (which is probably not very different from what you're already making?),
but she also gives some optional ingredients that might interest you:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/ssamjang-sauce-for-korean-lettuce-wraps/