Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Was out shopping last weekend at H-Mart last weekend, and impulse bought some clay bowls and made some bibimbap (more or less). Did a lot of things wrong, (e.g. stir fried the veggies all together which doesn't look as nice), but it was still awesome and I'm excited to use this more.

(sauce was added a moment later)

Got somewhat conflicting info on what can be done with the bowl though. I see a lot of stone pots being used on gas stoves in various videos, but I have a glass stove and the bowl has a foot ring, so not much surface contact. I ended up just heating it in an oven to ~390F, which ended up working great, but I'm not sure what else will work. I was thinking about putting it on a piece of cast iron just to be safe, but it seems like the bowl still would have trouble heating up that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Made it a few more times since then, and oven has been totally fine. It's kinda amazing how fast it comes together, aside from the rice, it's very easily ready within 15 minutes.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Nephzinho posted:

I have a giant one of these and will be doing bibimbap for 2 all winter. Can't wait for it to get chillier. On a weekend I might do "meal prep" and just make a deli pint container full of each component so I can assemble one quickly any given night.

Yes, use your oven. Make each component individually and just kind of build the bowl in the oven so everything stays warm while your rice crisps.

Thanks for that tip. I actually went and picked up a small actual stone bowl too, thinking a layer of seasoning might get a better crisp going.

Also grabbed some korean soy sauce (501), and it's really good, definitely a different element of flavor there.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Ah got it. Didn't realize that about cooking. Didn't seem like the stone bowl's extra cooking effect hurt it too much though, it was great in mixed into a bibimbap sauce.