Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean Recipe Sites

Here is where I'm going to make the most controversial statement: I do not endorse Maangchi. Her food is generally okay, but from my four years of living in Korea I do not believe her food is good. Almost every recipe I have tried from her is off from how things taste in Korea, and not in a positive way. It's not terrible but it's like mediocre diner food. There are some exceptions--her japchae recipe is flawless and I fully support it--but in general I would not use Maangchi as your primary source.

So far, my favorite English language Korean cooking site is https://www.koreanbapsang.com/ I found it fairly recently and have made several recipes from it, all of which were right on with what I expect from Korean food.

Yep, I agree with this. Maangchi is okay, a lot of her recipes are still my starting point, but with heavy modifications to amounts of ingredients. Korean Bapsang is a lot more to my palate straight from the recipe pretty much every time.

Edit: since I'm in the Korean thread, anyone know if there's a specific time of year I can find chonggakmu in stores? I managed to snag a jar of chonggak kimchi at the store today, but I've always wanted to make it myself.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Word. I tend to find decent napa/mu all year round, but didn't recall ever seeing chonggakmu locally at all so I was curious. I'll have to take a trip down to Chicago and see if their fresh produce sections are better.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jjajangmyeon yass

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I have kimchi going on like 10 months and it's really just starting to be perfect for jjigae. Super sour and tender.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Depends how much sauce you want

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, made kimchi like I always do, but somehow this turned into the mildest kimchi I've had in ages. Somehow the cabbages gave off like 3x the liquid as usual and it's diluted as heck.

Oh well, still crunchy delicious. Might have to make a second batch or maybe some radish.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kimchi jjigae, kimchi jeon, kimchi jjim, uhhh kimchi salt, kimchi powder, kimchi snickerdoodles

you can also make sure it's submerged in liquid and forget about it for like 9 months in the back of the fridge and have some really good aged kimchi for jjigae

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

looks like a variation on a claypot pretty much every soup comes in

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like doing whole leaf cuz I like to take the super aged stuff and do a kimchi/pork mille feuille hot pot type layering situation or stuffed cabbage rolls.

I do tend to make one big jar of whole leaf every season and then smaller jars of chopped every month or so for quick eating.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What are people's favorite jeon variations? I've been doing a lot of pajeon lately, as well as carrot and zucchini versions, but I'd be interested in anyone's favorite (non-seafood) jeon recipes. (Kimchi is not available to me right now, sadly [no, can't get the stuff to make it, either])

I'll do whatever random poo poo I have in the fridge. Shredded green cabbage, garlic chives, bean sprouts, mushrooms, mashed potatoes, etc have all been pretty decent pancakes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bibimbap is less a recipe and more a set of suggestions. It's rice with seasoned vegetables and sometimes meat/egg with a gochujang sauce mixed through.

If you want a recipe to look through, Korean Bapsang is always a good start.

I typically use it as a clear out all the bits and pieces and older veg meal. It's usually something like carrot, greens, zucchini, bean sprouts and an egg. You can get super fancy sourcing ~~~~traditional ingredients~~~ or just stir fry poo poo up with sesame oil and some salt or soy sauce and pile it on.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks better than any bibimbap I ever saw in Korea. An authentic bibimbap is too wet rice with vegetables that have been boiled to death and smothered in so much sesame oil they taste of nothing else, left to get cold, then a splorch of straight gochujang in the middle. Then you sigh and are sad.

Yeah, I've had a lot of decent bibimbap in Korea, but I've also had a lot of really, really bad bibimbap.

Torquemada posted:

It doesn’t surprise me that the OP, while loving Korean food, finds it executed poorly everywhere, because that’s the normal state of affairs for most things everywhere.

And yeah, terrible examples of dishes is not a uniquely Korean food problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Or a bloody mary