Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I will try to make an effort post about my favourite banchan and the different types you can find with a meal--particularly 밑반찬 (mitbanchan). Banchan are definitely my favourite part of making Korean at home, as its quite easy to just grab some tubs out of the fridge and plate them prettily to eat with whatever I happened to make. Also guess I'll need to make some kimchibokkeum and juk so I can take inevitably ugly pictures and share my recipes; both I got from a friend's mom.

I'm seconding the maangchi critique; I currently live in Korea, and any time I've tried to use one of her recipes it really doesn't taste like what I'd expect it to. She's not terrible, but her jjimdak and dakbokkeumtang/dakdoritang both don't really do either dish justice. I also find that her kimchi recipes are usually just average; unfortunately, my friend's mom still hasn't divulged the secrets of her kimchi making, so I can't share those.

I suppose if there's interest, I can also translate a couple of the Korean recipes I've used and enjoyed--there's a very good kamjatang recipe that I've found and enjoy.

ETA: daikon and mu taste different!!!!!! It's not that noticeable if you're just gonna ferment/boil them, but if the radish has a strong flavour profile in the dish, it will be a slightly different flavour.

So 99% of the time if you can't find mu just use daikon. Mu tend to be fatter and stubbier in shape than daikon.

felgs fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: since I'm in the Korean thread, anyone know if there's a specific time of year I can find chonggakmu in stores? I managed to snag a jar of chonggak kimchi at the store today, but I've always wanted to make it myself.

More specifically, chonggakkimchi and the traditional nappa kimchi are both traditionally made around November. That's when they're planned to be harvested, as well, so that's when you'll have the best chance of finding them. I almost never see the chonggakmu except at little 시장/open air markets, and even then I don't see a ton until November. A fair bit of seasonal stuff has changed, but at least my impression has been kimchi making is still very much a November thing.

eta: I mean I don't see chonggakmu at stores when it's not in season.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Let's talk about one of my favourite kind of banchan, mitbanchan (밑반찬).

Mitbanchan are lunchbox staples. They're defined by the fact that they last several days pretty safely, and so are very good to toss in your lunch box and add to any dinner without having to cook something extra. There are about a billion different kinds of mitbanchan, but for the most part it's either something that's semi-pickled in salt, vinegar, and maybe gochukaru; boiled in a soy based broth; soaked in a soy base mix; fried in a yangnyeom (양념) sauce... and so on. As such, a lot of mitbanchan can be very salty--perfect to eat with your rice to give it some flavour.

This is not an exhaustive list of mitbanchan by any means, but here are some of my favourites and how to make them. Website if there's an English version I've actually tested; otherwise I'll translate how I've been taught/a Korean recipe I've made.

(also please excuse any of my romanizations, I haven't brushed up on how to do some of the stuff in a long time)

Kkaetnip jangajji/깻잎장아찌

(kkaennip? god that's not how you say that word at all)

There's another variant of this called kkaetnip kimchi, and a third that's just soaked in yangnyeom sauce that you shouldn't bother eating because it just destroys what makes perilla leaves so good. Kind of an aside, but that's true for a lot of Korean food that doesn't need to be doused in yangnyeom sauce--RIP anyone who eats yangnyeom kejang and misses out the absolute joy that is kanjangkejang. But that's for a different post.

Perilla/shiso (not the same as Korean kkaetnip but close enough to not matter if you can't find the Korean variety) pickled in soy, pepper, garlic, and vinegar. This one can be real salty, and my favourite way to eat it is to grab a leaf, plop some rice on, then wrap it up and shove in my mouth. I'm pretty much addicted to kkaetnip though, and any dish that lets me shove it in my face is my favourite.

Recipe Link

Kongjaban/콩자반

Black soy boys boiled in some sort of sweet (sugar, rice syrup, honey) and soy. Very yummy, a little nutty. Extremely easy to make. Sure, you can use the regular soybeans, but they don't look nearly as pretty. Sub mirin with cheongju if you want, I haven't noticed it mattering. Honey can be used in place of corn syrup fine. Recipe Link

Dubu Jorim/두부조림

This is very good fresh and hot, but I've also found I don't mind it cold either. Tofu braised in a mix of soy, pepper, and sugar. Use brown sugar if you can; that's the default sugar in Korea. Recipe Link

Maneul Jangajji/마늘장아찌

Pickled garlic has the best tiny bit of crunch and all that joys of eating garlic too. I can eat through so much of this in one go if I'm not careful. Recipe Link

Musaengchae/무생채

Usually made when radish is in season around November, you can really make this as long as you've got a radish. Since nothing is cooked here and the radish is the star, this is one of those dishes where the type of radish you use is going to matter. As I've mentioned before in the thread, mu and daikon do have slightly different tastes, and this is a dish where that's going to be noticeable.

This is basically a shredded radish 'salad'. It's real good with meat. Recipe Link

Oi Muchim/오이무침

Much like musaengchae, this is most common when cucumbers are in season and everywhere. They basically start giving them away during summer--I know I've been able to get 10 for 1000won before. This is one of many good ways to use them up. Sweet, a little crunchy, and tangy. Recipe Link

Yeongeun Jorim/연근조림

Braised lotus roots, these have an interesting texture and flavour. It's actually a bit sweet because it's mostly all hecking sugars, but the soy does balance that out a fair bit. I honestly always forget that I actually enjoy them until they happen to show up at a restaurant or school lunch, and then I remember I do like them. While not standard, I do like to toss a couple peanuts in to braise with them. I learned how to make this from my friend's mom, but Maangchi's recipe has the exact same process so I'm gonna link her.

Recipe Link - Maangchi suggests that sugar can be substituted for all the syrup, but it really can't. The syrup helps make it super sticky, which is delicious. Her braising sauce isn't the way I was taught; I was taught 1 cup soy, 2/3 cup rice syrup, 15 tablespoons brown sugar per 500mL of water (which is for 2 larger lotus roots). Everything else is roughly the same process though.

Jangjorim/장조림

This is a staple at basically any juk restaurant you go to, and that's the main time that I eat it because it's a pain in the rear end to make at home. There's a version with only eggs, too, but honestly my favourite way to eat this is to mix bits of the shredded beef into my juk for a savory yummy treat as I'm eating my sick people food.

Quail eggs are usual, but since those are kind of hard to get in some places outside Korea, I know you can use regular eggs. You just don't get as many, which is sad, because eating the eggs is also good.

Recipe - I was gonna post one but then I just kept saying a million things to change, so here's a translation of this recipe I've used in the past.

Ingredients
-600g flank or brisket
-boiled quail eggs (if doing eggs; the above recipe does not, but they do need to be boiled beforehand if you use them.)

Broth to boil in
-7 cups water
-7 cloves garlic
-1 finger of ginger
-white part of 2 green onions (leeks?)(대파)
-either 2 korean green peppers fresh (cheongyang gochu/청양고추), or 2 dried gochu

Ingredients for the Seasoning
-12 Tablespoons soy sauce
-3 spoons cheongju (the recipe says 맛술, which could be cheongju or mirin, as I've seen both sold as 맛술. I typically use cheongju, since it's readily available)
-1 Tablespoon brown sugar
-2 Tablespoons rice syrup (i sub honey here, as I don't much care for mulyeot/물엿)
-1 dried gochu

Directions
1. Soak your beef for about 30 minutes in cold water; this supposedly helps with any smell.
2. Put all the broth ingredients in the water, then bring to a roiling boil. Once boiling, add in your beef. Cover with lid if you're worried about anything boiling over and to lower the meat smell. Boil it for about 40 to 50 minutes on a low flame, stirring sometimes.
3. Once the meat is properly tender, remove all veggies. You only need to keep the meat and broth.
4. When the meat is cooled enough to touch, shred it up. You want the shreds to be about an inch long; check the recipe site to see a picture.
5. Place shredded beef in; add all other seasoning ingredients. If doing eggs, add them here. Boil it down until you don't have so much broth, maybe half what you start with? (I've also seen just letting it marinate for about an hour, but i personally prefer the boiling).

Mumallaengi/무말랭이

I'm sorry, I don't have a good recipe for this, literally the greatest of all banchan*. It's dried strips of radish, tossed in a valid use of yangnyeom sauce. You then eat it, or you can trap it between two wire meshes and grill it for a beautiful char and eat that. It's got a very chewy semi-tough texture that I love, and when it chars it's even better somehow. And I have never once found a recipe that makes it to my satisfaction; I typically either buy it from a local banchan shop or eat it at a dolseot bibimbap place I visit every time I'm in Jeonju. I'm sorry. But if you find this, sometimes you can find it in those premade banchan pouches, you should get it and grill it because it's just so hecking good. Especially with meat.

This really doesn't even scratch the surface of this particular type of banchan, or banchan in general; it's really more a starting point of some that I personally super like and wanted to share.

-------
*to me

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

What type of rice do people in Korea normally prefer/eat?

White sticky rice, much like Japan.

That said, it's not uncommon for many other grains and such to be cooked in with it. Purple/black rice, chestnuts, different beans, different seeds (barley seeds were in the lunch rice today), actual barley or brown rice etc. If its tiny and can be steamed with the rice, it's probably something that gets added. Roast kim is also sometimes on top/mixed in.

If you want more info, I can actually look up the names in English of the stuff commonly mixed into rice.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

I've seen (online) a lot of things they steam with rice, and I like that idea!
but I kept wondering about the type of rice.
So, to resemble it, I can use the same rice that I use for making sushi, right?

and I never heard or saw chestnuts being added to rice, that's awesome.
Barley is something I still need to try.

My favourite dolseot bibimbap place adds chestnuts to their rice and it's amazing, I definitely recommend it.

And yes, the same stuff you'd use for sushi works.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm sick as a dog and my everything hurts and I don't wanna go out. Time to make some juk/죽!

Here's a really lovely joke I made up in Korean.

Q:누가 죽을 먹나요?
A: 죽는 사람!

Juk
Like basically every rice based diet, this is Korea's version of rice porridge. There are a billion variations on what you should put into it, and they're all pretty acceptable. Even though a lot of times juk is translated as rice porridge, it can be other types of porridge too--probably most common is pumpkin porridge/단호박죽.

I do a couple nonstandard things in my juk, which i'll point out, but for the most part I follow how I was taught to make it. I also warn you away from maangchi's juk recipes--they're... okay. Kind of bland, and the texture never comes out like I prefer.

Ingredients

1 cup of rice.

It feels like everyone preps their rice differently. If you clean and soak it first, you'll need to reduce how much water you use later. You can just clean it and then use it. Or, if like me, you like a very sticky juk, just have it ready to go without any cleaning.

green bowl:
1 leek OR several little green onions, finely chopped
1" ish of carrot, cut into tiny cubes
7 cloves garlic (i'm trying to purge my disease), minced
1 roughly 1" thumb of ginger, peeled and minced finely

spice bowl
a stick of chinese/korean cinnamon (you can use regular cinnamon)
2 bay leaves
1 dried gochu, broken up (mince if you want it even spicier)
1 tablespoon cumin seeds (NOT STANDARD)
1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds (NOT STANDARD)

mushroom bowl
2 fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 reconstituted woodear mushroom/목이버섯, minced (if you can get these fresh, go for it, but they're not in season right now)

assorted other goods, left to right
1 cup standard korean veggie stock**
1 tablespoon oil (i use grapeseed cause I can get it cheap, but use whatever)
a 6 x 6 sheet of dashima/kelp cut into 4 manageable pieces
9 or so medium sized dried anchovies in a pouch for easy removal
whole pepper
pinch of salt to taste if needed later
1 tablespoonish of honey
2 tablespoons soup soy sauce/국간장 (fish sauce works fine if you can't find soup soy sauce)

**The traditional Korean veggie stock is a carrot, leek (대파), bit of radish, shiitake mushroom, yellow onion, garlic, gochu, and kelp/dashima. Just remove the dashima after it's been boiling 10 minutes; otherwise make as you would any other stock.

---
Not pictured: water. You'll need roughly 4 to 6 cups of cold water, depending on how runny you like your juk. A general ratio here, where liquid is water/stock:

Thick: 1 cup rice per 6 cups liquid
Medium: 1 cup rice per 7 cups liquid
Thinner: 1 cup rice per 8 cups liquid
Soupy: 1 cup rice per 9 cups liquid
WTF are you doing: 1 cup rice per 10 cups liquid

Personally, I always err on the side of less liquid, as it's very easy to add more and a pain the rear end to reduce it off.
---

I add cumin and fennel because I like the final flavour in a mushroom veggie juk like I'm making here. No Korean probably ever would, but I'm sick so I'm making it the way I want to eat it!!!!!

You can also ditch the gochu if you want, and it's often not featured much, but my nose is stuffy and I need all the help I can get.

Let's cook!!!!!

Anchovy stock

You're going to need about 2 cups of this, so in a small pot, add your dashima, anchovy pouch, the cup of veggie stock, and a little over 1 cup cold water. Bring to a boil, lower heat a bit, and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove the anchovy and dashima, turn off heat. If you want, you can use the dashima to make a variant of miyeok salad, but I really recommend you just toss it. It's not as thin as miyeok, or a very pleasant texture to eat.

Juk steps
Add your oil to a large pot (I'm using a wok), and heat up the oil on medium-high/high. Toss in your spices, stir for about 30 seconds, then add the veggie bowl.

Cook that for about 1 minute, making sure nothing burns. Once aromatic, toss in your mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms take on some color.

Clear the center, toss in your rice. You want to cook it until it's mostly translucent; a couple pieces might go white, that's fine. It should look something like this though:

This next bit is up to you; I always add my honey/soy mix here, and that's how I was taught, but I have seen a lot of recipes say you should add this near the end when the juk is almost done. I like the color it adds though, so I add my 2Tbsp soup soy and honey here.

As soon as you've added that, give it a good mix, then add your two cups anchovy broth you made and 4 cups of cold water. Give it a good stir:

Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and lower the heat to low. Go watch a ten minute video, come back to make sure it's doing okay and give it a stir, repeat. After about thirty or so minutes, mine looked like this:

That's not done--the rice grains are still pretty cohesive, and it doesn't look very soft. I added another cup of cold water here, gave it a good stir, and then put the lid back on. Ten more minutes and another quarter cup-ish of water later, it looked like this:

Which is perfect for me. I like my juk a bit more thick and not as mushy as some people. If you want it thinner/more mushy, just keep adding water a little bit at a time and testing it as you go.

Now, usually you'd add roasted crushed seaweed on top, but I'm out and not going outside if I can help it, so I went with toasted sesame seeds and green onion tops. I also added a little more crushed gochu, again, in hopes it will help my sinuses. I also always add a little more black pepper.

This is also real good with a soft boiled egg on top, or a poached one, but I'm not feeling it today.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's a real good banchan too; it sucks it costs so much for the squid.

felgs fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 24, 2019

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Topping on anything. Bibimbap, omurice, regular omelets, add a spoonful to tomato sauce for kick, jjolmyeon, bibimmyeon, dollop on various kinds of jeon, eat with meat (duh), and so on.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This post is going to be a bit all over the place--I started making bulgogi, realized I had no room for my cucumber after all, and made cucumber muchim, there's soup and various banchan/namul that appear from the ether.

So let's start with the oi muchim/오이무침

I just used Korean babsang's oi muchim recipe. Added some buchu/garlic chives cause I happened to buy some this week. Dropped the sesame oil because it causes deep gut distress. What is the pear doing? Stay tuned to find out.

That's now in the fridge; I'm not eating it tonight because it really is better the next day.

The oi muchim was made while I was waiting on my bulgogi to finish marinating. This is basically Korean babsang again with some tweaks here and there to taste--more buchu, less meat, added mushrooms, etc. I'm using 300g of whatever the bulgogi meat is at my local mart is--it's Korean beef too, so maybe too expensive, but bulgogi cuts are usually cheap enough.

Marinade made:

The meat is very very thinly sliced; I like to cut it into more managable pieces for eating before marinating too.

Into the fridge

Wash hands and take a break to bother the cats:

At this point, I made the oi muchim when I saw I'd forgot to put the cucumber into the bulgogi, and then made a pear duck since I still had a lot of pear left:

After an hour, I got my deonjang and rice started. The rice was washed and mixed with purple rice.

For the deonjang, tofu skins and more garlic chives. I decided to use the very dark deonjang I bought from a local place recently--they have a nice variety of deonjang and gochujang and I really like their stuff.

Deonjang isn't hard--I bring 2 cups of cold water with some veggie stock and katsuo to a boil, turn the heat off, dump in the chives and tofu skins, and whisk the deonjang in a bit at a time. The pot I use is one of the very heavy pots that holds heat for a while, so once I finish mixing stuff in I just slap a lid on it and get to work on the bulgogi.

Sizzle sizzle

I also get my banchan ready--this is a plate just of mung bean/spinach/oyster mushroom namul to eat with my rice, plus some homemade not quite fully pickled kkaenip jangaji.

Time to eat! Just above the bulgogi is kongjaban/콩자반, and the kimchi is some my friend's mom gives me every year :3: I highly recommend getting a Korean mom to decide she wants to give you kimchi.

There's still more bulgogi, to be honest, and that's gonna be used throughout the week for dinner because it warms up pretty well with some rice.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Cute Duck. (And cute cats!)

Does the purple rice taste different? Or is it just purple?

It has a little bit of a nutty flavour if you had enough to get a deep purple color. If you just add enough for a kind of lilac color, it doesnt add a very strong flavour of it's own. I use it cause I like purple :3:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Your tuna looks great, and I don't even really enjoy tuna! Also purple rice fan :respek:

Banchan are probably my favourite thing. During the work week it's kind of hard for me to muster the energy to cook; just replenishing my stock on the weekend means my work nights I just need to come up with rice and maybe some sort of protein.

Here's one of my meals with some of the leftover bulgogi:

Banchan in this meal (most aren't visible)
kkaenip jangaji
kongjaban
mumallaengi
oi muchim
spinach namul
gosari namul
pickled egg yolk (technically Japanese but whatever)

Bonus fun fact:
Lunch boxes (dosilak/도시락) aren't really as common now since school's provide pretty good lunch. You do seem people go on picnics with them sometimes, though. It's the same idea as Japanese bento. The vast majority are functional over cute, but there is a nice little hobbyist lunchbox group out there doing super cute stuff and it means that it's not too difficult to pick up imported Japanese rice and egg molds for very cheap.

Here's a couple youtube links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcW87hiWgVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG2KVL1ChS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ma9PkAkgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73dVjs43Ew

None of these link to the plethora of horrifying minion dosilak.

You're welcome.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Jose posted:

This popped up on my recommendations and seemed like something people might like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvEF5rmHrI

This was pretty neat, thanks for sharing it!

paraquat posted:

LMAO! Your dosirak and those links, that's all just way too cute.
it's not that I don't WANT to make lunchboxes like that, but my immediate coworker might hang herself if I brought anything close to that to work.
That's middle-aged woman who is a self-proclaimed bad cook...she does make "Chili", but if you ask for the specifics, she uses a tortilla wrap and a banana....that's when I stopped questioning her cooking skills ;-)

But seriously, I did google the banchan you used, well, the first three, because I wasn't sure what they were (I am familiar with the rest of them)....I LOVE the Korean kitchen and its banchans (not only the taste, but the way it changes the preparation of a meal)
Oh, and purple rice, that was such a great discovery :3:

Heck your coworker, cute lunchboxes are the best. Maybe the envy will motivate her to learn how to cook!

Here's a shallow dive on

The Three Main Types of Soy in a Korean Kitchen

There are one billion soy sauces available in Korea, which you'd know if you've ever visited a Korean market and looked at the soy sauce aisle.

Exhibit A: A still I blatantly took from a new story

We are going to talk about the big three varieties that exist--everything else is niche and not typical to most homes. Most homes will have at least two of these three to use.

Soup Soy Sauce/국간장
aka: Joseon soy sauce/조선간장, house soy sauce/집간장

A proper soup soy sauce will be made from a lump of fermented paste (meju/메주) that only used soy beans. It has a much lighter color and tastes a bit more savory. It's the saltiest of all three of the main soy sauces.

In the past, this was the only soy sauce that Korea really used--that's why it's got the alternate names of Joseon soy sauce and house soy sauce. As such, you can actually use this as your only soy if you want, just make sure to adjust down how much soy you use and taste test religiously.

Due to the light color and salinity, it is most often used in soups (jjigae, guk, tang/찌개, 국, 탕) since it doesn't alter the final color much. It also is also commonly used in traditional namul/나물 recipes.

Brewed Soy Sauce/Yangjo soy sauce/양조간장

Other ingredients can start to show up here. Soy, defatted soy, or flour can all be used to make the base meju; they will be allowed to age and ferment naturally. You can find yangjo soy sauces that were made only with soy or defatted soy; there's debate on which is best, but that's way above my Korean paygrade to dive into the details.

It sits in the middle on the salinity scale, usually.

The special thing about this is that natural fermentation process--it takes much longer to make this compared to the other two. That longer fermentation gives it a much more complex flavour than the other too, and supposedly a sweet scent (my nose isn't that great).

Because those special qualities break down with heat, this is often preferred for dipping sauces, any banchan with no heat or cooking, hui (회/raw fish), and other applications you can think of that don't have heat.

Thick soy sauce/Jin soy sauce/진간장

This is the quicket soy sauce to make, and probably the most common base soy sauce. This is the one similar to your typical staple Japanese soy sauce you probably already have in your kitchen. Since it's made very quickly, with a variety of ingredients, it's the one that gets the most concern on the Korean cooking blogs I follow for being tampered with, and on slow new days this sort of investigation of soy sauces for tampering usually runs.

There's nothing very special about this one. Use it for anything where you're going to be adding a lot of heat, replace it with your Kikkoman if you want, it really won't matter. This one has the least salinity of all the three main staples.

Brands
The two big agreed-on-as-trustworthy brands among Korean cooking (from small no sponsered bloggers up to random public television cooking shows on EBS) are Sempo/샘표 and Chungjungone/청정원*. I think I once saw some English blogger say to never use Chungjungone, but honestly, they've done well when there are random quality control tests by investigators, and I like their jin soy sauce more than I like Sempo's. (I do like Sempo's soup soy and yangjo better though)

You can almost definitely ignore yangjo soy sauce if you want, but I really do recommend a bottle of soup soy sauce if you plan to cook any Korean soups extensively--it really does make a difference to the appearance and taste, and when I finally started using it, I kicked myself for waiting so long.

*this is how they romanize their name, because Koreans give zero fucks about any of the various romanization systems.

eta: Of course I can't find the source I read it now, but iirc jin soy sauce was brought over by Japan, thus the similarity to basic Japanese soy sauce.

felgs fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 20, 2019

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Gochujang is the best!!

I can do a translation of the kamjatang recipe I use on the next few days too, if you want? You're going to need to find deulkkaekaru/들깨가루 and find some perilla leaves/kkaenip/깻잎 in the meantime.

Edit--deulkkaekaru is ground perilla seeds.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

I'm a gochujang addict!!

The best dipping sauce has a bit of vinegar added to it, especially great with veggies.
My own "recipe" is soy sauce/rice vinegar/sugar/gochujang in about a 2:2:1:1 ratio, so good!

Oh, and I learned about the existence of chogochujang after I've been eatingthis forever, so you might want to check that out sooner than I did.

Today I made mayak gimbap, filled them (non-traditionally) with rice, yak gochujang, cucumber and carrot
dipping sauce not pictured

Those kimbap look really good!!!

empty sea posted:

I did make the gamjatang and ate it poured over rice a few nights ago. It wasn't super traditional, I kind of decided to make it at the last minute since I'd thawed my neck bones and forgot I'd thawed them. So I didn't have the perilla. And I didn't have the doenjang so I tossed in a generous spoonful of miso paste.

So while I'm sure it fell short of actual gamjatang, it was still loving delicious spicy soup. I used pork neck bones I got this spring from a local organic farm and did the whole soak 1 hour, boil for a bit with onion and ginger and black peppercorns, then strain broth and cook the actual soup. Tossed in some potatoes and napa cabbage and lots of gochujang and red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic! It was fantastic poured hot over some fresh white rice. I still have a bit left in the pot.

I love the flavor of pork neck bones and their cheapness but by god, the fiddly bits are irritating! It's like when I make adobo with chicken legs. I'm always so tempted to grab some boneless, skinless thighs but you need that breakdown of the collagen and the fat to really make good food IMO.

As long as you were happy with it. I'll still try to get that translation up when I can--it's legit one of my favourites.

It has been getting dumb hot here in Korea, and while it's cooler today, I still made some delicious naengmyeon/냉면!!!! The chicken is not standard, but the rest is pretty normal.

Can't help you with making it--I just buy the broth at the store premade because heck trying to make it at home.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Are some brands of gochujang better than others? I got an extra-hot tub a while ago (it was the only small tub), but it can be a little too extra-hot. I might start making bibimbap more so I'll get a regular sized tub of gochujang soon.

One of the big three brands is fine.

There are better "brands", but they're all tiny farmers who sell exclusively out of stalls they set up next to their farm or at little popup markets. My current favourite is a sticky rice (찹쌀) based one. You're not going to find them outside Korea unfortunately.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The rice at a kimbap chain is just plain white rice.

Rice at the home of whoever is going to depend on the person making it; some people do salt and sesame, some do vinegar, some do plain.

There's no right answer.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Gochujang is spicy but not that spicy, and all the brands you can get overseas will be the same profile. It almost sounds like you used too much? Or it's just not for you.

I have not made my own kimchi, though, and can offer no help. I just bum it off my mom's friend when she makes it each year.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

Yeah, I love spicy, and I like to get the extra spicy gochujang, but apparently gochujang in America is only sold in a not so spicy variety. *

Btw, if you want to make kimchi, you don't need gochujang, but you do need gochugaru!
Gochugaru is Korean red pepper powder.
You cannot use any other pepper powder instead, because gochugaru has a specific taste and it is pretty much not spicy

* Korean recipes from Korean Americans often tell you that if you want to spice up your gochujang-containing dish, you should use some extra gochugaru.....to me that's like telling me to add bell pepper if I want my birds eye chilli-containing recipe a bit spicier

You do know gochujang just uses the exact same Korean chili as gochukaru, yeah? It sounds like your gochukaru is stale. Gochujang is never going to be 'extra spicy' just because that's the nature of the chili pepper being used; even the 'extra spicy' ones here aren't really that spicy.

You also do not need gochukaru for kimchi, there's specifically white kimchi (bekkimchi) if that's more your thing. I don't care for it personally, but it's a legit thing and it has, as expected, zero spice.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Very nice! Unfortunately those really aren't designed at all for non gas stoves. The oven idea is a good one. They do make some newer ones with smooth bottom for glass good that are getting more common, but they take so long to heat because electric is just so slow in general.

I have posted nothing because my fridge has been off and on broken since August, so my cooking is equally sporadic and half hearted.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dakgalbi, spicy sondubu jjigae, any Japanese curry you want to make a bit spicier, any stew you want to be spicier. 4 Tbs gochujang, 1/2 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 3 Tbsp water makes bibim sauce, which you can then throw on anything. Mix with some deonjang, grill some pork belly, and slap it on top and shove in your mouth.

Gochujang will last for a long time provided you store it in a cool dark place (your fridge), so don't worry about going through it too quickly.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

501 doesn't mean anything outside the brand--Sempyo/샘표. who use numbers and grades on all their stuff. That's Yangjo soy sauce, which is fermented longer and shouldn't be cooked with cause it destroys the flavours. It's ideal for cold banchans and as a topping/dipping sauce though

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Hell yeah

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The kimchi paste is some combination of gochu flakes, garlic, herbs or whatever, seojeot (fermented mini shrimps), fish sauce, ginger, and a glutionious rice flour boiled into a paste with a little water. This varies from family to family and recipe to recipe, but that's the gist.

This is bapsang's traditional recipe Napa Cabbage Kimchi. She only does one cabbage, so it's a pretty manageable recipe to try if you're not sure what you're doing/haven't made kimchi before.

I wouldn't actually know how it turns out because my friend's mom is giving me another tub of kimchi again this year, so I didn't need to make any during kimchi making season at end of last month :smug:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

But that means I have to cook and not depressed make instant noodles again.

Your galbitang looking good

Here's a grilled mackerel

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Glass noodles/dangmyeon, carrots, I think maybe some minced cabbage.

The glass noodles are non optional for Korean dumpling filling though.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Kimchi bokkeum is the easiest simple alternative to eating it straight, just toss kimchi in a pan (no oil needed) and cook it for a while. Tastes totally different.

Kimchi's a good addition to a Japanese nabe too.

Kimchi bokkeum is the first step to kimchi fried rice, which you should definitely make. And to make sure it's very unhealthy, cover it in a sauce made of queso blanco. It owns.

Kimchi nabe is good.

Isn't kimchi also used in buddae jjigae? Wouldn't know, I think buddaejjigae is awful. But if so there's another use.

Mostly people just eat with every single meal. All of them.

eta: everything in korea gets covered in cheese eventually so don't feel like it's inauthentic or whatever bullshit.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry I don't like hot dog water.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

If you don't put a lil gochukaru and some minced up spring onions and some sesame oil in your dipping sauce, what is even the point :colbert: If you use sugar over honey or rice syrup, make sure it's brown sugar too.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I have bad news about Korean food then

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Here is some content, I made dakbokkeumtang for dinner but then I added rice because rice in dakbokkeumtang owns.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

looks like a variation on a claypot pretty much every soup comes in

Yup! It's one of these, I love mine.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It should be fine, though I've never done that particular substitution myself. The flavors should be similar enough in a bulgogi marinade.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I got a delivery yesterday

My friend's mom made kimchi.... ages ago, and my friend finally brought me the tub set aside for me.

Step one: chop it up

Fry with some green onion, rice, garlic, whatever you could technically make this with nothing but kimchi and rice but who does that?, add an egg

It's been so long.... :unsmith:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

순두부찌개/Sundubu jjigae is one of my top fave types of jjigae. It's relatively simple and can be made a ton of ways; my favourite sundubu place makes both white sundubu jjigae and small octopus (nakji/낙지) sundubu jjigae and both are phenomenal.

Since I got the mom kimchi, I made some 얼큰순두부찌개/eolkeun sundubu jjigae for dinner; this is a slight variation on what my friend's mom makes.

If you can't find sundubu, get a soft tofu and mash it up with the side of your knife and it'll do. It isn't quite the same, but sometimes you want sundubu and don't have the right tofu for it.

a spoon is like... basically a tablespoon I think? She just uses one of the metal/wood spoons you'd eat with.

This makes enough for four people if you're doing a proper meal (rice, several banchan, some sort of protein centerpiece, and your shared soup), or 2-3 if you're just splitting it and eating it on its own.

You need

Seasoning
-2 spoons of gochukaru
-a pinch of brown sugar
-1 to 2 spoons of soy sauce
-half a spoonish of mirin (맛술/matsul in Korean)
-a little bit of salt to taste
-pepper to taste

Mix in bowl and set aside.

The pot stuff
-1 pack of sundubu (about 400g)
-a heaping spoon of minced pork
-4-5 leaves off GOOD kimchi, ideally fresher, but it works with old stuff too; chop this up into bite sized pieces
-an egg for each person you are serving (unless you're a stingy monster)
-1 cheongyang pepper 청양고추, sliced (optional)
-some mushrooms of choice (i like king oysters or shiitake, but mushrooms all own really)
-4 or 5 large cloves of garlic, minced
-the bottom half a leek, sliced
-2 cups of dashima soup broth minimum (if you don't have any, boil a couple anchovies and some dashima/konbu? for like 10 minutes ish, now you have some)

Toppings
-the green part of the leek, finely sliced
-some sesame or perilla oil
-roasted sesame seeds if they don't absolutely ruin your day

Directions
1. Chop all your poo poo up if you haven't already.

2. In your pot of choice (clay pots own for this but I was making enough to have leftovers), add oil and heat over a medium flame. Add the bottom half of the leek, pork, and garlic and fry until it smells good. You'll note I don't have pork here and that's because I didn't think about making this until I got in the door tonight and gently caress going back out.

3. Once it smells good, dump in the seasoning and fry a bit more until it's well coated. Your gochukaru is prob fresher than mine, and likely to have a much stronger red color.

4. Once it's all coated and mostly boiled off, dump in your kimchi and fry it for a few minutes.

5. Add your dashima broth in, and more water if you want it be more soupy. Like a soupy loving monster.

6. Bring the whole thing to a boil; once it's boiling, dump in your sundubu and mix thoroughly. Bring it back to a boil.

7. Add your mushrooms and cheongyang pepper (I didn't use tonight, i'm out), lower heat to medium low flame, let it simmer until the mushrooms are cooked.

8. Add your eggs and stare and make sure the yolk doesn't cook but the white sort of does, then turn the heat off.

9. Portion (if sharing)(if using a clay pot, just dump toppings on), then drizzle your sesame/perilla oil on top, green part of the leek, and sesame seeds (if using). Be bold like me and also add a bunch of fresh perilla because it's your own home and Kimchi Mom is not here to judge you.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Make dakbokkeumtang.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What are people's favorite jeon variations? I've been doing a lot of pajeon lately, as well as carrot and zucchini versions, but I'd be interested in anyone's favorite (non-seafood) jeon recipes. (Kimchi is not available to me right now, sadly [no, can't get the stuff to make it, either])

Unfortunate, kimchi jeon is def one of my top tier. I really beoseotjeon (mushroom jeon) which uses the small size king oyster mushrooms, shiitakes, and enoki mushrooms. Buchujeon own bones, if you can get hold of some chives. You can use garlic scapes for jeon too, just shred them properly.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Would eat both.

Gochukaru and gochu in general can dye stuff more or less red to be honest. My old gochukaru doesn't really make stuff super red but the point is it tastes good.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

There are also different styles of ddeokbokki, with different kinds of sauces. You can also make rabbeoki--ramen with ddeok as well, perfect for when you just want as many carbs as possible.

ETA: and while they aren't slices, you could probably still use them for ddeokguk.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Man, I haven't had dakgalbi in ages, now I want some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This is Korean food.

Some backstory:

In 2004, Korea Kellogg had a poll for the new chex flavor. Onion won in a landslide.

Kellogg I'm guessing didn't expect this, because they did not release onion. They released chocolate

In the hell year of 2020, Korea Kellogg finally released the Onion Chex. They are here, and I have a box. (edit: The commercial for announcing it is a pretty funny apology song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IM_yd8eLPs )

An inspector:

As shown by how he's not running, these don't smell very oniony. They also don't taste very oniony dry. They're actually a pretty inoffensive booze snack dry. Would eat again with some cider or a beer.

But Chex is a cereal.

We need milk.

Report:

There is no god. We knew that already, but milk and onion chex confirms it.

The milk makes what little onion flavor there is suddenly front and center. At first, the soggy ones on the bottom were edible because they had no flavor. Then I discovered that's because the milk is now tainted by onion and now it is all supersatured milk and leek.

Onion Chex: Good beer snack, never ever eat with milk. Not even once.

felgs fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 16, 2020