Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm glad to have come across this thread, because I was going to ask about Maangchi. I was reading her cookbook and came across a recipe that told me to buy an expensive cut of beef and boil it for 40 minutes. Ever since then I've been a little less gung-ho about trying her stuff.

There's an H-Mart maybe 15 minutes away from me. When I was stocking to make a Korean-ish pantry, I had to ask an employee where to find doenjang. I had no idea how to pronounce it and I showed him the word from the book. He goes, "Doenjang! Oh, doenjang? Are you sure?" I tell him yeah. He shows me where it is and says, "Everybody loves gochujang, you should get that. Are you sure you want doenjang?" What he pointed out to me was exactly what I was looking for and I nodded at him. He says, "It's right there. Uh, good luck" and walks off.

I've tried gochujang once and the spiciness caused what I made to be inedible; I read it could be kind of sweet, though. I'm wondering if there is a brand that might be milder and sweeter than what my roommate gave me.

Other than gochujang, I think I want to try making my own kimchi. I had one once at a restaurant that wound up being sweet and tangy, and I'd like to try to emulate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Uh. I think I read someplace that I can use Maesil in lieu of having Asian/Korean pears. Should I use this stuff (watered down, it says 4:1) in equal amounts of replacing the Asian pear?

What I'm about to use it for it a bulgolgi marinade from the blog linked earlier in the thread.