Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

So I love Korean food, but I don't cook it very often. That's mostly because I don't want to stock a ton of ingredients that I'm only going to cook sometimes, thanks to the demands of young children and a spouse who aren't quite as into, say, dried squid as I am. But there are a few dishes that are in my regular rotation, like pajeon, kimchi fried rice, and sundubu jjigae. And I always have kimchi and gochujang in the fridge.

Anyway, I was thinking about those two and made up a batch of Korean-influenced sausages the other day, using kimchi, gochujang and a nice hit of garlic powder.

They were pretty great! The kimchi kept them nice and juicy, and they were just a little spicy. Next time I'd up the gochujang by a bit, or maybe add some gochugaru to give them a little more punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

feedmegin posted:

Its actually surprisingly easy with the right equipment and I would recommend it :)

If you don’t stuff the sausages, it’s even easier! You’re just mixing ground meat with salt and spices.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks better than any bibimbap I ever saw in Korea. An authentic bibimbap is too wet rice with vegetables that have been boiled to death and smothered in so much sesame oil they taste of nothing else, left to get cold, then a splorch of straight gochujang in the middle. Then you sigh and are sad.

Wow... what gives? I’ve never been to Korea but I’ve had bibimbap tons of times in the US and it has always been pretty great. It’s one of those things you’ll see even at Korean-owned diners, next to pancakes or burgers or whatever, and it’s reliably tasty. So why is it bad in Korea?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Assorted reasons. One is what FelicityGS said, at most restaurants bibimbap is just on the menu so they have some way of disposing of trash. You really have to go to a specialty dolsot place if you want something that isn't terrible. That's a factor too, I find a lot of people outside Korea don't understand that bibimbap and dolsot bibimbap are different and think that all bibimbap is dolsot. Dolsot is better. Most bibimbap is not dolsot.

Also, anyone who's lived in Korea is likely to have an aversion to bibimbap because about 10-15 years ago, Korea decided that bibimbap is the food foreigners like and started pushing it hard. Full page NYT ads and such. So when you live there, you're constantly being given lovely bibimbap because you're a foreigner and bibimbap is the food for foreigners, right? It gets real old. And IMO even a good bibimbap is one of the least interesting Korean foods, so there's no situation where I want it.

If you're making your own, I can imagine it being good. I can't imagine ever ordering or making it personally. I've had enough. Please don't take it as critical if you love bibimbap, go for it. But if you go to Korea some day do not just order bibimbap at a rando restaurant, find a specialty place.

That makes all kinds of sense, thanks. It tracks with my experience in the US, too, where if there is one Korean dish on a menu, it will be bibimbap (or more recently, Korean tacos.) I’ll eat it at a place like that, and I’ll make it at home to use up leftovers. But it’s not what I’ll order at a Korean restaurant.