Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
What are people's favorite jeon variations? I've been doing a lot of pajeon lately, as well as carrot and zucchini versions, but I'd be interested in anyone's favorite (non-seafood) jeon recipes. (Kimchi is not available to me right now, sadly [no, can't get the stuff to make it, either])

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

I like doing whole leaf cuz I like to take the super aged stuff and do a kimchi/pork mille feuille hot pot type layering situation or stuffed cabbage rolls.

I do tend to make one big jar of whole leaf every season and then smaller jars of chopped every month or so for quick eating.

I'll do whatever random poo poo I have in the fridge. Shredded green cabbage, garlic chives, bean sprouts, mushrooms, mashed potatoes, etc have all been pretty decent pancakes.

MASHED POTATO YOU SAY

Holy poo poo.

FelicityGS posted:

Unfortunate, kimchi jeon is def one of my top tier. I really beoseotjeon (mushroom jeon) which uses the small size king oyster mushrooms, shiitakes, and enoki mushrooms. Buchujeon own bones, if you can get hold of some chives. You can use garlic scapes for jeon too, just shred them properly.

Hmm, those are all actually doable (different mushrooms, but I live near the mountains, so finding cool mushrooms even at the supermarket does happen).

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I miss kimchi so much.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I got a question about making kimchi,

I made some radish kimchi a month and half? ago and I ate almost all of it but there's some left and some juices in the jar.

Now I got a big napa cabbage and want to make that into kimchi, should I dump the remains of the radish kimchi in with it, or is there some downside?

No, as long as you don't see any mold, this is actually pretty standard practice and a good way to jump-start fermentation (if I remember correctly).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Torquemada posted:

I made Kenji’s version of 떡볶이 and was wondering if the rice cakes are used in any other dishes? I bought a bunch and don’t want to limit my options.

Use 'em in anything. Soups, stir-fries, slice them up and make a supremely unhealthy carbjeon? Makes a great mac and cheese.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I need that box of oniony bad boys.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

FelicityGS posted:

It's mostly served at cheap quick food places like 김밥천국 and so on, so it's not very good

You can get very good 돌솥비빔밥/stone bowl bibimbap at this one place in Jeonju and it owns, but you pretty much have to go out of your way in Korea to get good bibimbap.

Haha, was just about to post that the worst bibimbap I ever had was at some fancyish place in Jeonju (probably not the one you're thinking of).

I honestly only had bad bibimbap there and from one or two snack places, but I didn't order it often because it was usually what was given to me at work parties because "all foreigners like bibimbap." (Although I didn't mind.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

FelicityGS posted:

Yeah, the place I went had been serving only dolsotbibimbap since the 80s, and your only choice was whether you wanted pork or beef for the meat; there were more drinks than dishes.

It was very very good and I hope they survived covid so I can eat there again after vaccine. And also remember what back alley it was on.

You got to pick your meat?? I am already there (in my heart).

Tonight I am making an abomination: chorizo bibimbap, extra kimchi. I think it's gonna own bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Or your next batch of kimchi!