Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That's just how soju is. Industrial ethanol and artificial sweetners. Are you sure the cocktails aren't using fruit juice to dilute and hide the soju flavor?

Huh, is most soju sweetened? The one time I tried it it was just straight alcohol, basically no flavor.

As a side note, I was successful with Kenji's vegan kimchi recipe if anyone needed such a thing. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/homemade-vegan-kimchi-recipe.html. The recipe says "1 large head napa cabbage, about 1 pound" but I don't know what kind of cabbages Kenji is getting, one large head was like 3+ pounds at the korean grocery I went to. I ended up with maybe 2.5 pounds after coring and taking off some of the leaves. I used a bit more salt, but the same amount of water/chili/miso and it turned out just about right. I think just tasting for it to be about sea water is the more important direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Have you tasted sea water recently? I don't think you made your brine that salty.

Yeah it's actually has been a while since I've been to the ocean. Maybe tastes like the Black sea then, that's like 1/2 ocean water salinity apparently (and technically I can still call it sea water :smug:)?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never tasted non-sweet soju except for traditional Andong stuff, which was more of a rotting vomit flavor.

It's possible you got shochu, which is Japanese liquor made from various things like sweet potatoes and sometimes sold as soju. Shochu is okay and makes good cocktails like lemon sours, while soju is deeply offensive to me.

I think I got the Chumchurum brand. Apparently they make a "mild" version which is what I must have gotten, it just tasted like watered down vodka. I don't read Korean at all, so I could just be misremembering all of this.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cute Duck. (And cute cats!)

Does the purple rice taste different? Or is it just purple?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Are some brands of gochujang better than others? I got an extra-hot tub a while ago (it was the only small tub), but it can be a little too extra-hot. I might start making bibimbap more so I'll get a regular sized tub of gochujang soon.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I never noticed any difference between different brands of Korean gochujang. I can't remember anyone ever discussing it. Haechandeul, Sunchang, and Saempyo are the only big commercial manufacturers I think.

Ok thanks, I'll look out for those on my next trip to H-Mart.

FelicityGS posted:

There are better "brands", but they're all tiny farmers who sell exclusively out of stalls they set up next to their farm or at little popup markets. My current favourite is a sticky rice (찹쌀) based one. You're not going to find them outside Korea unfortunately.

Yeah I'm in the USA, so bespoke roadside gochujang would unfortunately be very difficult to find.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The last tub of gochujang I got was the extra-spicy variety (since it was a tiny half-sized tub). I would guess it was about twice as spicy as the regular stuff. It wasn't as good as the usual kind, I'd rather be able to put more into my bibimbap without it getting too spicy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Good timing, I just made some kimchi.

I think I'll try to make some tofu/kimchi dumplings at least. What else goes well in the filling?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

Glass noodles/dangmyeon, carrots, I think maybe some minced cabbage.

The glass noodles are non optional for Korean dumpling filling though.

Should I cook the carrot after shredding, or will the steaming usually be enough?

Also, how long would you keep thawed but unopened wrappers in the fridge? I put some in but this week may not be a good week for it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone tried to make gochujang before? I saw a few videos and it looked like an interesting project. A lot of people used both malted barley/sweet rice and then a bunch of rice syrup. I wonder if I can get away without most of the rice syrup, just mainly stick to a well-converted barley/rice wort that's fairly sweet.

I live near an H-mart so I can hopefully get the meju powder there. I'm definitely not brave enough to make my own meju, at least yet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's the typical ratio for boricha? I think I had it at a korean restaurant a while back, they served us some tea that tasted kind of roasty. And is it usually boiled for a while? I got a big bag of roasted barley now so I've got to make some tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What do you mean bean paste form? I’m having trouble picturing that.

I’d think getting the Napa cabbage would be the hard part!