Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmart has entire bags of sliced tteok, and I've kinda wanted to try making tteokbokki myself. I've had frozen tteokbokki before in the typical red sauce, but I have no idea if it's worth trying to make fresh. Is it significantly different/better? If so, should I bother making the sauce myself, or just use jarred or something?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's much better since the commercial varieties of ddeokbokki are always way too sweet and flat. Very easy to make. You want garaeddeok preferably, the cylindrical stuff. The slices are usually for soups. Ddeok is ddeok though so get whatever and go hog wild.

Fry thin sliced onions in a pan along with some garlic. Add dashi, either the Korean style from anchovies or powdered Japanese stuff is fine. Once that comes to a simmer sauce it up. You can start with a 3:1:1 ratio of gochujang/gochugaru/soy sauce and adjust it however you like from there. In Korea they will usually add a poo poo ton of sugar and rice or corn syrup at this point, I do not since gochujang already is sweet enough imo. Up to you. A little bit of sugar as a flavor enhancer is okay. I usually add some vinegar since I am a vinegar whore. Then your other ingredients--fish cakes, cabbage, and the ddeok is the classic combo but you can add more. Hard boiled eggs, boiled and drained instant noodles, fried mandu, whatever.

Making this right now - important to note that we’re talking like tablespoons here for the 3:1:1 mixture, definitely not 1/4 cup.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I get my cooking liquids, gochu, frozen gyoza and dumplings from hmart. It’s pretty cool, got a lot of selection and kitchen tools. No idea what to do with most of the meal kits though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suggestions on how to prepare these? I assume they’re fully cooked and just need reheating? Does gochujang sauce go with them?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is that in a slow cooker or something?

I did one part soy sauce, one part rice vinegar, one part water, a half-teaspoon of minced garlic, a drop of ra-yu, a drop of sesame oil, and a couple pinches of roasted sesame for the dipping sauce. Tastes good. I'll report back on the cakes.