Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Well, we finally start living up to our channel's namesake in this one

Kenny Loggins is disappointingly absent, however...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMXCsMir_3g

:honked: VOTING TIME :honked:
So, we'll run with the same litany of airframes as last time. After this mission, I'll buy the next tier of planes and we can pick from there.

• F-16C Fighting Falcon
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • F-104C Starfighter
  • Mirage 2000-5
  • Gripen E
  • F-14D Super Tomcat
  • *UNUSED* MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • *UNUSED* F-2A Viper Zero
  • *UNUSED* MiG-29A Fulcrum

Voting on this round ends Thursday April 25 at 12 PM EDT. Remember to pick an SP weapon in your votes, too!

Not sure what to pick? Check the briefing at the end of the previous mission's video for some help....or just pick at random. I'll try and make it work. :v:

Fun fact #1: This episode inspired me to pick up the game myself, because hot drat that's a hell of a lot of explosions!

Fun fact #2: VR mode is intense and we'll probably do videos for that as well once I stop flying directly into the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Dunno how this logic'll hold up, but if the drones show up yet again on the next mission maybe the F-2A w/ HVAA will be better equipped for taking them out.

Anyway, as they say, don't messfly with the ducks! Man, what a mission. Also from various enemy chatter I'm getting the impression that the Eurseans are going to mistake the Spares for the Osean Ace Squadron, and since your plane has the most scratches on it (as your crimes are the worst) they'll see you as the Top Ace.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

oh hey i didnt know the AC7 LP had star---hey wait a minute, you're not nine gear crow, you're just a duck!

Bring out the MiG-21! Show off the Gunpods!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fishbed, because I'm sure it's a great plane and not just because of its name.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Dunno how this logic'll hold up, but if the drones show up yet again on the next mission maybe the F-2A w/ HVAA will be better equipped for taking them out.

I'm assuming that drone'll be in every mission from here on out--they've pretty much been so far (they only haven't been in 1 and 5)

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Anyway, as they say, don't messfly with the ducks! Man, what a mission. Also from various enemy chatter I'm getting the impression that the Eurseans are going to mistake the Spares for the Osean Ace Squadron, and since your plane has the most scratches on it (as your crimes are the worst) they'll see you as the Top Ace.

This inspired me--if I ever do AC6, the thread title is "GO QUACK WITH THE ANGELS" :v:

...and yeah, I really have no idea what's going on. The way that the AWACS pilot talks (Bandog), I feel like he's going to try and spring me or something.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Radio Free Kobold posted:

oh hey i didnt know the AC7 LP had star---hey wait a minute, you're not nine gear crow, you're just a duck!

Duck lives matter, too... :negative:

Bring out the MiG-21! Show off the Gunpods!

Oh, jeez....this will end well...

"Hey--know that pilot that can't hit poo poo with his guns? Let's give him MORE GUNS!"

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 22, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

F-14D SUPER TOMCAT

Available SP Weapons
  • Long-Range Air-to-Air Missiles
  • Guided Penetration Bombs
  • 8 Target Air-to-Air Missiles

Also Appears In...
  • Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
  • Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
  • Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
  • Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
  • Ace Combat Joint Assault
  • Ace Combat Assault Horizon
  • Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy
  • Ace Combat Infinity

In-Game Description: A large carrier-based fighter that can carry long-range anti-air missiles. Its automatic variable wings allow for superior combat at all speeds and altitudes. Its unofficial nickname, "Super Tomcat," is derived from the A-model.

Real-life Info: One of only a handful of variable-sweep wing planes to enter service, the iconic F-14 Tomcat is one of the most recognizable and famous military planes in existence (essentially playing a starring role in Top Gun, appearing in numerous video games, and even getting its own pinball table!). The F-14 was developed as a Naval air superiority fighter; it's designed was entered into the Navy Fighter Experimental (VFX) program in 1968. Initially a replacement for the F-4 Phantom II, the F-14 eventually supplanted the A-6 in the 1990s, with engineers adding capabilities for air-to-ground fire. This plane has seen the most limited service on the list of planes flown so far, only being fielded by the United States and Iran. The F-14D featured improved power plants (with vastly improved flight characteristics) a glass cockpit (all-digital readouts as opposed to analog).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cover the plane in guns, you're bound to hit something!

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I'd say it's better to save the MiG + Gunpod combo for later on, when you unlock the homing machine gun upgrade way later down the tree.

This mission needs a different approach. MiG-29 with HPAA sounds good.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Professor Duck posted:

Duck lives matter, too... :negative:

Oh, jeez....this will end well...

"Hey--know that pilot that can't hit poo poo with his guns? Let's give him MORE GUNS!"

the next mission is just some piss-easy ground attack, they barely even shoot back. it's more about the level gimmick than anything else. you'll be fiiiine

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

the next mission is just some piss-easy ground attack, they barely even shoot back. it's more about the level gimmick than anything else. you'll be fiiiine

Considering 2/3 of the missions I've flown so far have been interrupted by drones, I don't trust that briefing for a second :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The fact that this time they specifically say to pick "something that can dogfight" after the last few missions was actually very nice of them

The F-2A with HVAA seems to fit the bill.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 24, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Sorry I'm a little late on updating the thread, but here's the next episode in the trials of Spare 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dssaWplDn24

It's gonna be a short turn-around, but let's pick our next plane! We've got in the hangar:
  • F-16C Fighting Falcon
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • F-104C Starfighter
  • Mirage 2000-5
  • Gripen E
  • F-14D Super Tomcat
  • *UNUSED* MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • F-2A Viper Zero
  • *UNUSED* MiG-29A Fulcrum
  • *NEW* F/A-18 Hornet
  • *NEW* A-10 Thunderbolt

Vote quick! Poll's open until 1 PM EDT on April 28th

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Holy poo poo, the writing in this game is *magical*. I especially love how the second your mission score goes highest everyone starts giving you verbal blowjobs constantly.

Also, I dunno if you'd noticed but you're in a penal unit, and that means you're both expendable and not held in high regard by your commander.

You're flat wrong about that Fishbed being ugly, it's loving awesome, it's like they found the biggest engine they could and then only remembered at the last minute that they needed to bolt some other poo poo onto it like wings and a pilot.

For next mission, though, the Warthog seems perfect. Does the game model the autocannon that makes the plane stall if you hold down the trigger?

lofi fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 27, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, there'll be 4 ships in this mission! Time for some Air-to-Ship Missile action!

Nah, let's blow poo poo up with the A-10 w/ UGB

e: actually there'll probably be a billion drones protecting their "hive", so maybe the Hornet w/ QAAM will work out better.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
This mission seems to involve a lot of stationary things on the ground. Bomb them!

A-10 with UGB.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh hey, there'll be 4 ships in this mission! Time for some Air-to-Ship Missile action!

Nah, let's blow poo poo up with the A-10 w/ UGB

e: actually there'll probably be a billion drones protecting their "hive", so maybe the Hornet w/ QAAM will work out better.

You'd think I could get one straightforward mission, but there are always drones to screw things up, so you're probably right on this. We shall see, however.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Fishbed with Machine Gun Pods is actually a great choice for this mission.

traineehawking
Jan 29, 2008

For me, having sex with my girlfriend is about as exciting as eating a sandwich.
A 10 and UGB for some good old fasioned low and slow rain of destruction.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I'm a bit ahead of the video, but I will say the votes on this one ended up pretty good! Lots of boom, good times. :getin:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

So I'm a bit ahead of the video, but I will say the votes on this one ended up pretty good! Lots of boom, good times. :getin:

That's what happens when you have to do stuff for your job for 14 hours....

Anyway, that's over with, so have a new episode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8odVkCWxD_8

Here's what we have. I'll probably be buying a new plane or two after this coming mission

• F-16 Fighting Smileyface
  • F-4Episode II
  • F-104C lovely MST3K episode
  • I'M SEEING poo poo
  • Mad Swedes
  • DANGER ZONE
  • *UNUSED* Roly Poly Fishbeds
  • F-16's Japanese cousin
  • *UNUSED*Flying Seesaw
  • *UNUSED*Constantly Angry Bee
  • BRRRRRRRT

Look upthread if you don't know what the hell I'm on about :v: I start doing weird poo poo when I'm tired

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Video seems to be broken.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sindai posted:

Video seems to be broken.

Fixed!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Let's go MiG-29, because it's an instant classic and because I'm guessing it leads to the non-NATO side of the tech tree, I'm sick of the villains getting the Warsaw Pact planes and the player box-art stuff always being NATO

Also if you ask for more Kenny Loggins, be careful what you wish for

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cool that these magic drones also have magic sensors that make them not get completely screwed up in the middle of a radar-scrambling sandstorm.

e: oh right, let's try the Fulcrum w/ LAGM, maybe give a better leeway to sniping off ground targets while still under cloud cover

e2: can't wait to see'em force you to dodge both drones and sat missiles! fun!

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 30, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I love what assholes everyone is to and within the 444. It's such a fun change from every other AC squadron.

Also in case nobody pointed it out yet in Japan naming them the 444 is like calling them the 131313 or Dead Dead Dead squadron.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 30, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, that reminds me, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Count is an Eursean double-agent, though I'm not entirely sure what kinda plan it could be to deliberately get put in prison in the hopes of being drafted into the suicide squad. And the other option of him getting flipped after he was put in prison/the squad is even weirder because any communication with the outside should be monitored.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fishbed or solitary!

I thought the mad max sandstorm in that mission was really cool - the game seems to do a really good job stopping missions getting repetitive.

lofi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 30, 2019

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Despite what I may have said before, this is the right time for Fishbed with Machine Gun Pods.

They'll never expect a flying tin can with a machine gun to outsmart their fancy space missile system.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bob Smith posted:

They'll never expect a flying tin can with a machine gun to outsmart their fancy space missile system.

I mean, that seems like a pretty reasonable thing to not expect, but I like the cut of your jib!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

I'm sorry I'm behind on the airframe breakdowns. There's been a lot of stuff going on lately, and I feel like absolute garbage. I'll try to catch up before the next video comes out...

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Pfft, they all say that, back to solitary for you!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lofi posted:

Pfft, they all say that, back to solitary for you!

Again with the solitary...

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

F-2 VIPER ZERO

Available SP Weapons
  • Long-Range Air-to-Ship Missiles
  • Hyper Velocity Air-to-Air Missiles
  • Rocket Launcher

Also Appears In...
  • Ace Combat 2
  • Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
  • Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Incursion
  • Ace Combat Infinity

In-Game Description: A multirole aircraft based on the F-16. Designed with its country's needs in mind, it shows its greatest strength in interdictions at sea, and can hold its own in aerial combat. Its unofficial nickname is "Viper Zero."

Real-Life Info: Essentially the F-16's Japanese cousin. Lockheed Martin and Mitsubishi collaborated on constructing this plane for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force, which came into service in 2000. Plagued with tense developments from the onset of negotiations between the United States and Japan, and criticized for its cost being 4 times larger than a comparable F-16, the F-2 had a relatively long development and fabrication timeline (1985-1995, with models only being introduced to service in 2000). It differs from the F-16 in a few areas, the most prominent being a larger wing surface, an AESA radar system (the first modern fighter to use such a system), and expanded capabilities for air-to-ship engagements.

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 3, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Available SP Weapons
  • 4-Target Air-to-Ground Missiles
  • Unguided Bombs
  • Rocket Launcher

Also Appears In...
  • Air Combat
  • Ace Combat 2
  • Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
  • Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
  • Ace Combat Infinity
Note: All of those appearances are as the A-10A, not the A-10C in AC7

In-Game Description: A highly durable fighter with heavy weaponry designed for close air support. Its agility at low speeds and its air-to-ground weaponry—including 30mm machine guns—helped it prove its worth in battle. Its nickname is "Thunderbolt II."

Real-Life Info: Ah, yes--the plane that was specifically designed around the ability to carry one of the most ridiculous guns ever created--a 30mm autocannon that fires depleted uranium bullets at 3,900 rounds/minute. This plane is designed for close ground support, and so is highly maneuverable at low speeds, has a very low stall speed, is heavily armored, and designed so that critical components (like the engines) are out of the line of enemy fire. Updated design specs were issues in 1970 to multiple companies, with a prototype being chosen in 1973, and full production starting in 1976. It has been the target of decommissioning many times over the more recent years, but due to its unique construction and role, a suitable replacement does not exist, and so is still in service today.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:mmmhmm:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Penis plane for the penal colony. Makes sense.

Anyway, we have a new mission up and oh, man....it was not fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPTHm65BMAQ

So, I'm going to put up a few more options here for the next few missions. We're getting to the end of some parts of the tree, so it's gonna get pricey...

Anyway, here's what you have to pick from for the next mission.
  • F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • F-104C Starfighter
  • Mirage 2000-5
  • Gripen E
  • F-14D Super Tomcat
  • MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • F-2A
  • *UNUSED* MiG-29 Fulcrum
  • *UNUSED* F/A-18 Hornet
  • A-10C Thunderbolt II
  • *NEW* MiG-31B Foxhound
  • *NEW* Su-33 Flanker-D
  • *NEW* Rafale M
  • *NEW* Typhoon
  • *NEW* F-15C
  • *NEW* F-15J

Vote for whatever plane you want (used or unused) along with the SP weapons to go with it. Voting closes 12 PM EDT on May 5

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If my opinion means anything, I think we should go for a new, glamorous, entirely unnecessary purchase. It’ll get that fishbowl taste washed out quite nicely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Haven't watched the video yet, but my Intelligence sources inform me that the next mission will introduce the most dangerous Ace Combat enemy - The dreaded Hind-D. The best counter to this normally unmatched opponent is to sneak in a Foxhound equipped with a Nikita guided missile launcher, AKA the SAAM.

e: Wow in any other game that second half of that mission would be the sucky part of it

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 4, 2019