Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Which brings me to a question - should I try to learn expert controls? Or is standard completely fine?
Standard is worse for dogfighting but makes hitting things with MGs, lasers, and railguns much easier. Ultimately I think it's just personal preference and how much you want to use those weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, thanks for the advice. I kinda like the MG a lot and plan to try out the energy guns soon too so I'll stick with standard for now, but if I feel it's getting too tough to keep up with enemy aces (whether in the campaign or in multiplayer) I'll start expert practice.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

OUR SMOOTHEST YET. IT'LL LEAVE YOU SAYING "drat THAT DUCK IS SMOOOOTH"

....or probably not. I'm just amped we didn't completely botch a mission!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9boOdkHMRDE

:honked:VOTING TIME:honked:

We're gonna keep the lineup the same this time around, since we weren't able to use SP weapons on the last one. After this one, I'll throw some more planes up on the list.
  • F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • F-104C Starfighter
  • Mirage 2000-5
  • Gripen E
  • F-14D Super Tomcat
  • MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • F-2A
  • *UNUSED* MiG-29 Fulcrum
  • F/A-18 Hornet
  • A-10C Thunderbolt II
  • MiG-31B Foxhound
  • *UNUSED*Su-33 Flanker-D
  • *UNUSED* Rafale M
  • Typhoon
  • F-15C
  • *UNUSED* F-15J

Voting closes May 23th at 1 PM EDT.

I'm still utterly baffled as to how that went as smoothly as it did!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Smooth like a shark of the sky! And maybe as smooth as that guitar noodling at the mission start. :sax:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, by the way, it's interesting how much mission 4 depends on you going into it blind. In the LP the sequence of you trying to shoot down drones near Mother Goose and the switch to the cutscene felt very natural, but since I knew ahead of time what's going on it... wasn't that smooth. Hell, in a 2nd run of that mission I deliberately shot down drones around the Goose with my MG, but the cutscene still referenced a missile.

e: just watched the video, my run is still some missions behind so I don't know what'll happen next mission. However, I think you should fly that MiG 29 Fulcrum before its age starts being too much of a liability. Those HPAA it comes with will hopefully do alright

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 21, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, by the way, it's interesting how much mission 4 depends on you going into it blind. In the LP the sequence of you trying to shoot down drones near Mother Goose and the switch to the cutscene felt very natural, but since I knew ahead of time what's going on it... wasn't that smooth. Hell, in a 2nd run of that mission I deliberately shot down drones around the Goose with my MG, but the cutscene still referenced a missile.

e: just watched the video, my run is still some missions behind so I don't know what'll happen next mission. However, I think you should fly that MiG 29 Fulcrum before its age starts being too much of a liability. Those HPAA it comes with will hopefully do alright

That's mostly the point :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah, just saying so you know I'm staying behind the videos.

Though here's a surprise (for me anyway) - the first mission to give me real trouble, the ship destruction mission (11). I just keep crashing into things!

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I don't know if you're planning to show it off but the first DLC plane came out for this today and it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's a classic Ace Combat reference, but even not knowing where it's from it's hard to say no to your basic gun is now a laser and you can mount drones on your wings to fight the enemy drones.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Bob Smith posted:

I don't know if you're planning to show it off but the first DLC plane came out for this today and it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's a classic Ace Combat reference, but even not knowing where it's from it's hard to say no to your basic gun is now a laser and you can mount drones on your wings to fight the enemy drones.

Well that seems....excessive...

Anyway, next mission is up! I HATE forced stealth! :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsabe7SApGg

Throwing a couple of new ones on the list. Some unused ones up there, too--Typhoon still kinda counts in there. Lots of new Russian planes to pick from...
  • F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • F-104C Starfighter
  • Mirage 2000-5
  • Gripen E
  • F-14D Super Tomcat
  • MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • F-2A
  • MiG-29 Fulcrum
  • F/A-18 Hornet
  • A-10C Thunderbolt II
  • MiG-31B Foxhound
  • *UNUSED* Su-33 Flanker-D
  • *UNUSED* Rafale M
  • *GENTLY USED* Typhoon
  • F-15C
  • *UNUSED* F-15J
  • *NEW* Su-30SM
  • *NEW* Su-34 Fullback
  • *NEW* Su-37 Terminator
  • *NEW* F-15E Strike Eagle

Voting closes May 26th at 1 PM EDT.

Someday I'll catch back up on the aircraft info. I'm about 4 behind right now...

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 25, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Kudos on getting through the canyon with expert controls. Having to roll back and forth makes it much harder than regular controls. Especially that nasty final part that looks straight on the map but then throws a few hairpin turns at you one after another.

This is a toughie. Since there's plenty of targets of all kinds you can basically take anything and be successful,. I say we give them some of their own medicine with the Su-30SM with QAAMs.

The reason they're attacking Erusea's capital instead of the space elevator is that the remaining arsenal bird is circling it, and they're out of leftover superweapons to kill it with. I imagine they're hoping that taking the capital will convince Erusea to surrender and hand control of the thing back over.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
This mission coming up is an all out slugfest, as Sindai says there's loads of targets of all types. Seconding Su-30SM with QAAMs, a nice-to-fly, balanced plane.

EDIT: On missions with a return line like this one you can actually go back to base and change weapons, so you could, for example, start with the LAGMs, destroy all the ground targets then go back and switch to QAAMs for the fighters.

Bob Smith fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 25, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Bob Smith posted:

This mission coming up is an all out slugfest, as Sindai says there's loads of targets of all types. Seconding Su-30SM with QAAMs, a nice-to-fly, balanced plane.

EDIT: On missions with a return line like this one you can actually go back to base and change weapons, so you could, for example, start with the LAGMs, destroy all the ground targets then go back and switch to QAAMs for the fighters.

I noticed that on the Ocean attack mission (11?) It's a good thing to remember.

Sindai posted:

Kudos on getting through the canyon with expert controls. Having to roll back and forth makes it much harder than regular controls. Especially that nasty final part that looks straight on the map but then throws a few hairpin turns at you one after another.

This is a toughie. Since there's plenty of targets of all kinds you can basically take anything and be successful,. I say we give them some of their own medicine with the Su-30SM with QAAMs.

The reason they're attacking Erusea's capital instead of the space elevator is that the remaining arsenal bird is circling it, and they're out of leftover superweapons to kill it with. I imagine they're hoping that taking the capital will convince Erusea to surrender and hand control of the thing back over.

Thanks! Navigating the canyon itself wasn't terribly difficult--the biggest issue for me was automatically pushing the plane up in a bank, since I pushed the plane over the altitude restriction a few times with that...and misjudging some of the spotlights. IIRC, there was a similar mission to this in AC6, so I had some "practice" in making a lot of narrow turns. Mission 8 was good practice for it, too.

For as much as they were obsessed with taking the space elevator at the beginning of the game despite the 2 Arsenal Birds, you figure they would renew that assault given there's only 1 left. I'm still a little mystified as to why that was the priority target--there was no mention of any kind of "weaponizing" it, but perhaps that was implied? I dunno.

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crap, I completely missed the fact you'll want to bomb some poo poo in this mission.

Well, those QAAMs should help take down Mihaly when he inevitably shows up.

By the way, the sound when Mihaly's cockpit opens up after the big red ERROR message sounded to me very much like the MGS failure sting.

e: I think they were more interested in rescuing that president guy than taking back control of the elevator back in mission 4, but I could very well be wrong

Also what's with Japan and space elevators? Ace Combat has it, Front Mission has it, even Mega Man X has it

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 25, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Professor Duck posted:

For as much as they were obsessed with taking the space elevator at the beginning of the game despite the 2 Arsenal Birds, you figure they would renew that assault given there's only 1 left. I'm still a little mystified as to why that was the priority target--there was no mention of any kind of "weaponizing" it, but perhaps that was implied? I dunno.
I don't remember if the game ever really explains this (if it does, it's a pretty incidental and easy to miss) but the space elevator supplies most power for the entire Usean continent (a bunch of solar panel satellites in orbit beam microwaves to it), so whoever controls it can cut power to the whole country at will. It also powers the arsenal birds by beaming microwaves at them, which is how they stay in the air indefinitely.

It's actually the main reason Erusea resents Osea. Having the elevator there was certainly hugely beneficial, but as long as Osea retained control of it they effectively had their boot on the country's neck.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 25, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sindai posted:

I don't remember if the game ever really explains this (if it does, it's a pretty incidental and easy to miss) but the space elevator supplies most power for the entire Usean continent (a bunch of solar panel satellites in orbit beam microwaves to it), so whoever controls it can cut power to the whole country at will. It also powers the arsenal birds by beaming microwaves at them, which is how they stay in the air indefinitely.

It's actually the main reason Erusea resents Osea. Having the elevator there was certainly hugely beneficial, but as long as Osea retained control of it they effectively had their boot on the country's neck.

I really need to get into the rest of this series at some point, but I don’t think I’ll ever stop thinking the space elevator is really silly.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So dumbass me meant to write Su-30M2 instead of the Su-30SM, but because I'm cool, I'm going to grind out the 850,000 MRP needed for that plane and whatever else for the weapon, unless something else ends up outvoting it. :v:

On the upside, I've gotten REALLY good at Mission 11

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well poo poo, now I gotta see it! Su-30SM or bust!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, I thought it was odd you had access to one of the nearly top-tier planes but didn't think to check the aircraft tree.

The Su-30SM is actually a great choice for this mission because it's the only plane with both 4AAMs and 4AGMs so you can do the ground section very quickly then rearm for the air sections.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So, those of you who were calling an encounter with our favorite anime grandpa, step up and get your prize! Also, its probably good I stuck with what you guys picked after I noticed the mistake I made on the aircraft list, because the QAAMs DID come in handy here. I mention this, but that thing handled like a brick--I wasn't a fan of that. Could've been part choices on that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgluIqRnCN0

:honked: VOTING TIME :honked:

Still got quite the list here:

• F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • F-104C Starfighter
  • Mirage 2000-5
  • Gripen E
  • F-14D Super Tomcat
  • MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • F-2A
  • MiG-29 Fulcrum
  • F/A-18 Hornet
  • A-10C Thunderbolt II
  • MiG-31B Foxhound
  • *UNUSED* Su-33 Flanker-D
  • *UNUSED* Rafale M
  • *GENTLY USED* Typhoon
  • F-15C
  • *UNUSED* F-15J
  • *NEW* Su-30M2
  • *NEW* Su-34 Fullback
  • *NEW* Su-37 Terminator
  • *NEW* F-15E Strike Eagle
  • Su-30SM

For timing our recordings, I looked ahead to see how many missions we have left (didn't read anything about them, only looked up the number). After this coming mission voting will be for ANYTHING ON THE AIRCRAFT TREE. Whatever you guys pick, I'll grind out the MRP for it. There's still a ton on the tree that's unused and interesting (the Su-47 comes to mind on the interesting category), but pick what you want!

....I may come to regret that decision later... :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Anti satellite missiles are a real thing :science:

Weird about the handling. The Su-30SM has great stats and as far as I know turn rate is directly correlated with mobility so it should be a large upgrade over anything else you've flown.

I'm going to say the Su-37 Terminator with TLS next mission, since we clearly need precision weaponry to avoid accidental friendly fire.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think the A-10 sounds perfect for taking out drones. A pre-digital plane to avoid all these digital woes.

:v:

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
City fighting, at night? Su-34 Fullback with SFFS offers some good bombing power and doesn't rely on anything fancy.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

lofi posted:

I think the A-10 sounds perfect for taking out drones. A pre-digital plane to avoid all these digital woes.

:v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just wanna say I'll probably stop watching the videos cause I should probably leave a few mission-twists a surprise for myself, right? :v:

I'll still be checking the thread in case you fellas organize some multiplayer stuff though.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Talk about being behind....anyway, here's the next episode: SEMI-FRIENDLY FIRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSx7cVp0meo

This'll be a short turn-around, but PICK ANYTHING ON THE TREE and I'll fly it :v:

Voting closes June 2 at 2 PM

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I don’t think I get to vote but I will definitely recommend we go for speed on this one. Basically because the game said we should, and I’m all for it. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Those 4AGM oopses were pretty funny.

There's 4 missions left and 4 top tier planes (Raptor, Black Widow, Lightning, and Su-57) in the tree, so let's start working our way through them. For this mission let's go with the YF-23 with HVAAs.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

If you're going to be getting pursued or doing some kind of blockade run, the Sukhois seem pretty fast, well-armed and tanky. Su-37 gets my vote, and let's bring the TLS for fun.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm down for the YF-23, way prettier than the raptor.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
It's high time to break out the Su-47, which is the cool guy's plane because the wings are on backwards.

Go for UGBs on it, in case you need to bomb some ground targets.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MA-Horus posted:

I'm down for the YF-23, way prettier than the raptor.

Bob Smith posted:

It's high time to break out the Su-47, which is the cool guy's plane because the wings are on backwards.

Go for UGBs on it, in case you need to bomb some ground targets.

Our Highly Sophisticated Internal Polling System recording before either of these posts and I picked it as a tiebreaker based on speed alone :haw: did indeed reveal the YF-23 to be the winner. And I assure you, a good time was had by all.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Our Highly Sophisticated Internal Polling System recording before either of these posts and I picked it as a tiebreaker based on speed alone :haw: did indeed reveal the YF-23 to be the winner. And I assure you, a good time was had by all.

Hot drat that's a fun plane to fly :honked:

Anyway, here's the video to go along with that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ5dgUduAg

:bubblewoop: VOTING TIME :bubblewoop:

PICK ANYTHING ON THE TREE. Make sure you get your votes in quick--no shortened turn-around this time, though.

Voting ends June 6 at 2 PM EDT

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 3, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You never got to see the glory of the 8AGM and there's plenty of ground targets here so let's go with the F-35C with 8AGM.

A small gameplay thing: unlike the 4AGM and 4AAM, with the 8 versions if there's fewer than 8 targets they start to double target and waste ammo. You can mitigate this by switching weapons then firing before all 8 have a chance to lock on.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

SU47 w/SAAMs.

There is something just so satisfying about sniping a bastard with this weapon with what is essentially an Air-to-Air Tow Missile.

Can't believe I missed this so far. I've played the crap out of this on PC for the past few months, and I'm working my way through Ace Difficulty. The story and gameplay of this one is pretty refreshing after the :barf: of Assault Horizon, although the Seriously Anime story dialogue and traditional incompetence of your wingmen is kinda grating.

Once I got tired of waiting for HOTAS support after release I buckled down and got to work programming my own X56 Rhino profile from scratch. Proper Throttle emulation function through staggered Bands and precisely timed keystroke repetition/release macros was a BASTARD to suss out but I think I nailed it. Figured out how to 'fake' an input curve in the process and that lead to proper Rudder function, a secondary precision yoke for fine control/aiming, and so forth.

I've got a few more tweaks to make, then it'll be ready to share with the masses.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

SU47 w/SAAMs.

There is something just so satisfying about sniping a bastard with this weapon with what is essentially an Air-to-Air Tow Missile.

Also we've had enough NATO aircraft, let's get back to the other side of the iron curtain.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Thirding Su-47 with SAAMs, it is time for the backwards wing plane to shine.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Blasphemaster posted:

SU47 w/SAAMs.

Can't believe I missed this so far. I've played the crap out of this on PC for the past few months, and I'm working my way through Ace Difficulty. The story and gameplay of this one is pretty refreshing after the :barf: of Assault Horizon, although the Seriously Anime story dialogue and traditional incompetence of your wingmen is kinda grating.

Yeah...it seems like most of the Ace Combat series is mopping up after useless wingmen. Kinda the inverse of some of the missions in our Wing Commander IV run.

...And up top for Assault Horizon hate. That thing was a disgrace.

Blasphemaster posted:

Once I got tired of waiting for HOTAS support after release I buckled down and got to work programming my own X56 Rhino profile from scratch. Proper Throttle emulation function through staggered Bands and precisely timed keystroke repetition/release macros was a BASTARD to suss out but I think I nailed it. Figured out how to 'fake' an input curve in the process and that lead to proper Rudder function, a secondary precision yoke for fine control/aiming, and so forth.

I've got a few more tweaks to make, then it'll be ready to share with the masses.

That sounds pretty rad! I can't say that I'm a fan of how the throttle works on this, but that's cool if you have it figured out to maintain constant airspeeds!

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
AC5 and 6 had slightly more competent wingmen (6 especially owing to the Assist system or whatever it was called where you pressed D-pad up and they deleted everything in the vicinity that wasn't a boss).

Although 5 had the issue of the AI apparently not knowing how some special weapons worked, because at one point I had a whole squadron of A-10s and my wingman said "I'm concerned about this squadron's lack of anti-ground weapons."

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

It's not so much constant speeds as it is a series of staggered acceleration and deceleration steps.

The throttle is currently set up to have 9 zones that cause the acceleration and brake buttons to essentially be 'feathered' at different rates. Center is nul input for your stable 600, far ends are constant input for ABs and STOP, and three steps each for GO FAST and SLOW DOWN. I intend to set up as many steps as I can for as much control as possible, but the program is kinda annoying.

I think I'll post it as a YouTube video explanation of how this crap works so people can tweak it to their liking, post link in description. Seems the best way to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Blasphemaster posted:

It's not so much constant speeds as it is a series of staggered acceleration and deceleration steps.

The throttle is currently set up to have 9 zones that cause the acceleration and brake buttons to essentially be 'feathered' at different rates. Center is nul input for your stable 600, far ends are constant input for ABs and STOP, and three steps each for GO FAST and SLOW DOWN. I intend to set up as many steps as I can for as much control as possible, but the program is kinda annoying.

I think I'll post it as a YouTube video explanation of how this crap works so people can tweak it to their liking, post link in description. Seems the best way to go about it.

Either way, that's still better than the system that is normally in place :v:

Anyway, here's today's run!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybpCVgAuie4

:honked: VOTING TIME :honked:

Keeping up with things, PICK ANYTHING ON THE TREE. Voting will end June 9th at 2 EDT.

2 more missions! Almost home!