Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

SU47 w/SAAMs.

There is something just so satisfying about sniping a bastard with this weapon with what is essentially an Air-to-Air Tow Missile.

Can't believe I missed this so far. I've played the crap out of this on PC for the past few months, and I'm working my way through Ace Difficulty. The story and gameplay of this one is pretty refreshing after the :barf: of Assault Horizon, although the Seriously Anime story dialogue and traditional incompetence of your wingmen is kinda grating.

Once I got tired of waiting for HOTAS support after release I buckled down and got to work programming my own X56 Rhino profile from scratch. Proper Throttle emulation function through staggered Bands and precisely timed keystroke repetition/release macros was a BASTARD to suss out but I think I nailed it. Figured out how to 'fake' an input curve in the process and that lead to proper Rudder function, a secondary precision yoke for fine control/aiming, and so forth.

I've got a few more tweaks to make, then it'll be ready to share with the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

It's not so much constant speeds as it is a series of staggered acceleration and deceleration steps.

The throttle is currently set up to have 9 zones that cause the acceleration and brake buttons to essentially be 'feathered' at different rates. Center is nul input for your stable 600, far ends are constant input for ABs and STOP, and three steps each for GO FAST and SLOW DOWN. I intend to set up as many steps as I can for as much control as possible, but the program is kinda annoying.

I think I'll post it as a YouTube video explanation of how this crap works so people can tweak it to their liking, post link in description. Seems the best way to go about it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Bob Smith posted:

The next mission is going to be a target rich environment. F-22 with 8AAM, and fill the skies with truly anime levels of missiles.

Edit: I can't remember that the G in AGM stands for Ground...

Eh. I personally find the AAMs to be aggressively mediocre. They're good for clearing the offshore platform of planes for that one ACE spawn or taking.out bombers, but otherwise it's better to go for QAAMs IMO.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Man, that Arsenal Bird part of the mission. I died so many times to the Beam Laser.

For this mission, I wouldn't recommend anything other than SU-57 w/ PLSL.

Welp. In researching ideas to further refine throttle/rudder emulation for the X56 Rhino, I managed to enable native support for the entire drat thing. After I pretty much did that through hours of trial and error. :smithicide:

Native is smoother than what I managed to throw together, though not necessarily more functional. Just have to remap the buttons in the input.ini to my preferences, plus now the thumbsticks actually mimic POV headturning. :pcgaming:

If anyone wants to check out the methodology, here ya go, final product.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

That sounds pretty awesome (and labor-intensive)! Something I would definitely check out if I had the equipment, as the throttle gives me fits sometimes (hence the numerous stall warnings/actual stalls)

I suggest seeing if you could find a refurbished X36/X45/X52. They're being discarded in favor of the newer stuff what with the RGB stuff, toggle switches and thumbstick support for separate gimballed weapons for *COUGH*heavilyanticipatedtitles*COUGH*. I had the first two models, they use essentially the same programing software as now. Sturdy stuff, well worth picking up. Otherwise, there's a bunch of HOTAS options on Amazon, I'm just not sure about the programming and customization and such.

Check ebay and whatnot for the used Saiteks though.

After a bit of fiddling I remembered that the Saitek profile doodlyboo program sits atop stuff already running. :science: So I pretty much loaded up my thing, disabled the throttle and rudder stuff in favor of the native support, and now just laugh super hard at everything. I've got smooth throttle and rudders, buttons for months, and both smooth headlooking AND the yoke thumbstick remains my finesse-y aim-y stick.

Now if I could just stop flying around at ridonculous speeds blasting the crap out of everything from nearly impossible angles and turning every engagement into a series of dives, flips and corkscrews just for the glory of it, I might just get my Ace S run.

Yeah that's not gonna happen. :awesomelon: <- this but a pilot helmet