Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

they won easily because tanjiro has a powerful nose and the hashira had heaving breasts, simple as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

they won easily because tanjiro has a powerful nose and the hashira had heaving breasts, simple as

That nose and that forehead is something else true.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ulio posted:

Some negative stuff.... Felt like the Tanjiro and squad figured out really quickly how to kill the upper ranks in this season and there was no escalation or surprise. How they had to kill the fear demon was literally found by Tanjiro in like 10 seconds into the encounter. While fighting the twins in the last arc was just surprise after surprise.

It took 3 episodes to figure out how to kill Hantengu with the fight starting at episode 3, and they still were not able to do it until the finale.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked the arc cause I got to see Muichiro sass the gently caress outta Gyokko.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It took 3 episodes to figure out how to kill Hantengu with the fight starting at episode 3, and they still were not able to do it until the finale.

Maybe it was just the arc not having much content in the original manga. The entertainment district arc, Zenitsu dissappearance happens in the 4 episode, it's still setting up for the fight and there is bit more mystery as to what the powers of the Upper Six are.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ulio posted:

Kanroji was also the least interesting Hashira so far. Her story was literally, men hate me because of my hair color and I am physically strong? I am pretty sure any man living in the world of Demon Slayer with loving demons murdering people left & right would love a women who could fight back. So it just seemed really poorly written or thought out by the author.

Specifically, men don’t want to marry her because her strength, appetite, and hair make her unladylike. Men are loving stupid and have absurd standards for how women should look and act, and honestly her backstory is completely believable and the most down-to-earth. Plus, it was nice to see someone’s past trauma not being related to their family getting wiped out.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Also most of the population (somehow) aren't aware of the existence of demons. To the point that the Entertainment District being levelled roughly corresponds to a real-life fire in 1911 that wiped out the same red light district it's based on.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Muzan converted a guy in the middle of a crowded city street and people were still able to rationalize it away. Basically the only people with direct knowledge of the existence of demons either immediately die or get into the Slayer Corps' orbit, either as a slayer or their network of allies.

For the most part, both the demons and the slayers seem to move in more peripheral, rural (or criminal, in the case of the Entertainment District) settings which allow them more discretion to operate openly. With the exception of Muzan, who enjoys using the mask of an urban sophisticate (even though he's just a garden variety dickhead).

The series' setting was deliberately chosen to be the time of modernization and societal transition. The Slayers' war against the demons is a proxy for the idea of "progress" triumphing over superstition and fear. Most characters have backgrounds that reflect the harsher aspects of feudal culture: in Kanroji's case, its intolerance of differences, arranged marriages, and generalized misogyny. This theme is something that becomes a bit more clear toward the end of the series (especially the epilogue).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RuBisCO posted:

Also most of the population (somehow) aren't aware of the existence of demons.

That's because the demons don't usually do carnage on that scale, and normal people don't survive even seeing a demon. They stay hidden and keep their predation in the shadows, killing any witnesses. This combined with their corpses crumbling to ash keeps real public knowledge of them at the level of mythological creatures.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

Also most of the population (somehow) aren't aware of the existence of demons. To the point that the Entertainment District being levelled roughly corresponds to a real-life fire in 1911 that wiped out the same red light district it's based on.

Ya forgot that detail, so it makes more sense with that.

But I think it's not outrageous to say this season was the worst. It was still good but compared to the past season, I really felt like there was no stress. Tokito just destroyed the Upper Rank 5 by himself while in every other previous encounters even the Hashiras with help were struggling to fight the Upper ranks. There was a reason no Upper rank hadn't been killed for such a long time,. Just the previous season we saw a Upper Rank 6 taking on a Hashira + all his friends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Hashira training theatrical special premieres next Thursday (the 22nd)

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I'm going to see it in 4DX. It's been ages since I say anything 3D/4D, but as it's 'old' episodes I thought this could be fun.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Seeing it on the 24th. I liked what they did before, but wish it would get the attack on titan treatment where they reanimate and add new content in the runup to the new episode.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I still think the love hashira's backstory is a joke about how in 1910 her attributes make her a pariah, but to the modern audience reading/watching she's the perfect ideal of a shonen protagonist girlfriend, as shown with all the people reacting to the reveal the way they did.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
She's the authors bubbly wish-fulfillment self-insert /s

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i watched the theatre special where they reshowed the episodes with the previous climatic battle in the red light district arc and it was really good.
but don't think i liked the swordsmith parts enough to pay to watch it in theatres and a preview of the next season since its gonna just be all setup

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is interesting how the anime keeps teasing the Infinity Castle because they did that last season premiere too. Also for a Thursday night showing of an anime movie my theater was pretty full.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
Went to see it at the cinema today

Though I agree that the final battle of the Entertainment District was awesome on the big screen, I came out of the cinema unsatisfied due to how weak I found the first episode of the Sword Smith arc. This time round I found that even though I felt the finale of the Sword Smith arc wasn't anything special on the big screen, I did come out satisfied because the new episode was good.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Inosuke was on screen more this time, so it was definitely a better first episode.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i really didn't wanna sit in the theater for like 10 minutes watching Tanjiro cry.

when does the new episodes start airing regularly?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Checking in as someone that watched S1 and Mugen Train but nothing else I saw a demon slayer movie in my theater and I have regal unlimited so I got tickets to check it out not realizing it wasn't an actual movie. I guess its cool to see some stuff on the big screen but it felt like a big waste of time as a casual watcher/movie goer. Was pretty annoyed when it ended.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
lol yea, i definitely see it as a cash-in to help supplement ufotables' unlimited budget works and for the more devoted fanbase that for some reason is starved for big screen anime, even though nowadays, its a lot more common to see actual anime movies if you look around and don't mind traveling tohe the next closest theater after your closest one.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
It also showed the first episode of the next season which was fun.

I don’t know, Demon Slayer is also super pretty and it’s pretty neat to see that on the big screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

People do seem to like them seeing as the last one made $56 million with 30 million of that just being Japan.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I went last last Saturday and it was full. Mostly peeps in their 20s and 30s I think.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
They're only showing dubs around us, and no thank you!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Solution: drink more.

Anyway, trip report: seeing the movie late on a Sunday night with a few beers in me was fun, kinda wish it was an actual movie and not episodes but hey it was a good time.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Solution: drink more.

Anyway, trip report: seeing the movie late on a Sunday night with a few beers in me was fun, kinda wish it was an actual movie and not episodes but hey it was a good time.

Being as inebriated as I want at the cinema is not a problem, I've just never watched the dub of this show and I am not going to start now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finally announced a premiere date, May 12th.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder if that means only 6 episodes, or 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
the first one