Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Finally watched it. Looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The series has a lot of tone shifts but they never feel wrong, so to speak. The comedy is great, the darkness is fuckin dark, the violence is violent. There's a lot of flying limbs and heads in this series and some particularly gory moments.

Also, Tanjirou is a very good boy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Y'all haven't even met the best character yet

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tanjiro is and continues to be a very good boy to the point it's his greatest strength. His empathy runs unbelievably deep and it gets to even his enemies consistently, because demons are basically brutal caricatures of the people they used to be.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Watching this on Hulu and it's a great adaptation really. The only problem is that it's a bit slow to start out- I think it's better after the final selection is over and finally hits its full stride at Drum House.

I did notice for some reason it has an [adult swim] brand on it when I'm watching it from Hulu. That happen for all anime on Hulu?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fights have all been pretty dope so far in the anime. Ufotable is in fact delivering on their expertise here, which makes me happy and hopeful for later arcs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tanjiro's empathy for even the demons is again his best feature and a great emotional hook for the story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If it wasn't obvious everyone who passed is relevant at some point but it takes a while for some.

I wish we could see one of them in particular fight because their style so to speak is awesome and is something you'd be like "oh yeah, why wouldn't you do that?" In reaction to. Remember that this is very specifically NOT ancient warring states Japan. It's Taisho era, 1912-1926.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The manga pretty much gets it's poo poo together by Drum House.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man Ufotable did some gorgeous area shots in the last part of this episode. They even managed to make the autogenerated crowds look decent and differentiated.

Also Muzan is probably the most terrifying villain in Jump right now. He's great and you've only started to see what he's capable of.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

As someone who hasn't read the manga, it's kind of interesting to me that Muzan is wearing a distinctly western-style suit as opposed to like a Hakama or something. Wonder if that'll amount to anything.
This is ~1920 in Japan so I'm guessing he's kinda got a nanpa thing going on, or he's going for a more affluent/city-life kinda look.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Many of the stronger demons are as mentioned, brutal caricatures of the people they used to be. Basically whatever drove them in life gets twisted into what drives them as demons- for good or ill as it was.

Some were monsters before they became demons, some are horrific, tragic victims of circumstance. Their forms and powers tend to reflect their personalities.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Muzan is a really good villain. Also we're finally starting to break into proper demon mooks instead of the wimpier feral demons.

The production continues to be fantastic. Godwilling it lasts while Ufotable is uh, being investigated for tax evasion

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Without major spoilers, is there any significance to Tanjiro's big ol scar becoming more of a tattoo post-timeskip?
He already had a scar from a burn/head injury as a kid, then he took another whack during the final selection process which made it into a bigger scar.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The water is metaphorical. Basically the sword styles from the breaths emphasize the techniques- all of the Water Breath styles are these adjustable, flowing techniques. If it wasn't obvious from the opening there's a breath of lightning, and it works exactly how you'd imagine it.

Also this adaption continues to be fantastic.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 1, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Zenitsu gets better. He's also a good boy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Inosuke rules.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The answer is that he didn't pass the final selection process for nothing. He's just missing that "borderline insane" trait that shonen heroes have to not think things are hosed when they were well and truly hosed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be honest when this was possibly going to be adapted I had no clue who could do it justice, but Ufotable is basically THE best fit because their whole thing is dope sword fights and KnY's swordplay is entirely techniques based on element/animal metaphors covered with artistic flourish. It's basically artistic license for them to go nuts.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The series doesn't forget this stuff and actually does some really wild callbacks to it at points.

It's not particularly elegant about it however since they don't foreshadow any of it coming back... It just kinda, happens

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They really wanted to open with Tanjirou vs Inosuke for some reason for next episode. I guess it has to do with where they very specifically want to end.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Inosuke is a blunt instrument. But in the end also a good boy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man modern anime productions really despise using actual narrators don't they?

I guess they did try harder to sort of explain it in context but the point of that attack at the end is that it's designed to kill demons painlessly- but it only works when they offer their own necks willingly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Inosuke getting incredibly angry about being influenced by Tanjiro and the others is somehow always funny.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
She tends to kick a huge amount of rear end every time she gets out of it though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

UnfurledSails posted:

I don't like that she's gagged 24/7, even when she's in the box. Is there even an in-story reason for that?
She isn't completely cured of the desire to eat human flesh so basically it's a security precaution; if she has trouble controlling it she bites down on the bindle. Also, she can't speak- I dunno if it was clearly explained in the anime so far but Nezuko is pretty far from 100% mentally. The only thing she knows/remembers is her family and that she loves them, and the mental imprinting from the old water pillar to make her see other humans as her family.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 5, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ufotable is very good at what they do.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of the problem is that there is no narrator, where the manga has a ton of narration explaining anything important.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terrible Opinions posted:

Honestly episode was great and didn't need any sort of narration. In fact you could probably have cut out quite a bit of Tanjiro's explanation and everything still would have been perfectly understandable.
It was a great episode but I have no idea how they plan on adapting some parts of this if they do more seasons if they just adamantly refuse to have a narrator.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JackDarko posted:

I have lovely friends, or they knew that if you hype something up as great, it inevitably disappoints the person if their expectations were too high.
that's the "new hxh reader" experience because its interminable hiatuses have given it this weird, fake mythical sheen

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Expect My Mom posted:

all the tax fraud made ufotable really powerful
lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Next episode is gonna be great, I dunno if they'll get to one of my favorite parts of the manga in it but it's either this coming episode or the next one.

The stuff that's definitely in the next episode is good though too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess they're solving the no narrator problem with filler material that negates the need for one. Makes sense I guess?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Homura and Sickle posted:

this show was pretty much ubiquitous in akiba when i was there a month ago and is pumping out merchandise, a second season is probably a safe bet
my question is what the state of Ufotable is given the investigation over tax evasion.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

sigh... of course Rui gets half of an episode for his tragic backstory, a moment of pity from good-boy Tanshiro and implied forgiveness in afterlife, because I guess he shown a regret in literally last second he spent living on this earth?

Yeah...whatever, at least this new stuff with Demon Hunter Organization looks great.
His parents forgave him, the afterlife does not. He is quite literally going to hell and his parents went with him to comfort him because the bond he shared with them was REAL- his transformation and Muzan made him forget that he had always had thing he sought.

The chapter's name for this episode is very specifically: "To Hell".

Also- becoming a demon makes you forget your life as a human and the degree to which that happens seems to be inversely connected to your power. Most feral demons are barely human mentally and are weak, the weaker demons are basically caricatures of what they used to be (i.e. the ball demon just remembered she liked to play, the former lower moon has vague memories of his writings/drum playing, etc), lower moons have decent but clearly manipulated/misinterpreted memories of their lives as humans, etc.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 25, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Someone said it and I think it's accurate that the series is mostly people telling Tanjirou to stop being such a good boy and empathising with demons or they'll end up killing him, then him continuing to be a good boy anyway

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The idea as to why the Pillars 100% refuse to trust Nezuko even with guarantees from Ubuyashiki is because in their extensive experience they've flat out never seen a demon that hasn't eventually eaten someone. The Fire Pillar has the best point that even if she seems to be special the moment she eats someone all the promises for suicide mean nothing, because the innocent person she eats can't be brought back by others killing themselves.

Also another weird tidbit that the lack of narration skips over is that Ubuyashiki has his own kind of special ability in that his voice is referred to as "pink noise"- it seems to instantly create a calming sensation in anyone who hears it, which is part of why he can subdue the Pillars so easily.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Alfredo Jones posted:

Just caught up with this show after watching a video on it by Mother's Basement, and I can see why this show is getting such praise. Amazing production values, great cast, and Nezuko is just the sweetest little cinnamon bun. But man did that last episode leave off on such a dickish tease. I'm honestly debating whether or not to pick up the manga just to see what's going to happen next. Just in case, does anyone know what chapter of the manga we're at now?
If you want to start right at where this leaves off, Chapter 47.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was not until next episode you are getting ahead of yourself.
Yeah, it was in chapter 47, whoops. Wonder if they'll just have someone else explain it or if they'll leave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The next big scene after the recovery arc here is really good because it features something I don't recall ever really happening in a Shonen I recall reading.