Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It feels weirdly paced and put together but overall I like what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ufotable does some really good CG work when it's showing dynamic action stuff. There was a lot of that in the Fate stuff they did too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also we know that Kajiura basically writes the same music for every show. I don't think anyone really cares though because it's all good music.

Probably the only thing she's done that's sounded unique is Madoka.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was incredibly boring for the most part. I'm really iffy on the show at this point and will probably drop it if next episode doesn't give me a reason to stay.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The water effects on Tanjiro's sword continue to be dope as gently caress

This more than anything has convinced me to stick with it. It looks fantastic. There was some enjoyable action plus some interesting mystery and drama surrounding Sabito and his sister, and the nature of this demon slaying club. But I still strongly believe that this isn't the best version of what the show could be. There's still a bunch of lazy scripting and directing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ok cool now if the rest of the show could be that good that would be great.

That was a really great episode all around. I loved the thematic stuff with Tanjiro forlornly murdering all the demons. I loved the goofy nerd blacksmith and Nezuko dropkicking the front door. I love the story setups and incredibly unfortunate orange haired guy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah they made sure to make his eyes as sad and empathetic as possible through the fight at the beginning. It's such a small detail but the kind of thing that makes a huge difference.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I have absolutely no problem with Tanjiro pitying demons and offering them sympathy in their dying moments in general. It's cool and great and one of the big themes of the show.

But I have problem with the with portrayal of Rui and his Spider family. All of the members of Spider family, despite being mass-murdering monsters are also shown to be victims by Rui, who warped them, abused them and controlled them, making him pretty much directly responsible for their behavior and atrocities. Yet their deaths get barely a shrug (with exception of the mother who got shrug and sigh, which I agree is something, I guess?) . Rui, who is objectively thousand times worse than any member of his "family", being a hosed-up abuser and basically lesser version of Muzan, in addition to being a mass-murdering monster, gets all the song and dance of flashback with tragic backstory, realization that what he did was wrong in his last moments and vision of his parents forgiving him as he is engulfed in white light. While they all definitely deserved to die, Rui, gets lions share of humanizing, sympathy and pathos while the rest of the Spider family, outside of Spider mom, get none, which leaves me disliking the whole thing. Rui not getting any flashback this episode, leaving Spider mom the most sympathetic of the "family" would be ok, nut this way, its a mess. At least for me. :shrug:

The answer seems pretty simple to me. The sis or spider bro didn't get the same treatment because they weren't killed by Tanjiro. Tanjiro seems to be the only one to empathize with demons, and it's clear to the demon in how he acts during the fight. Butterfly girl has no empathy for demons and is honestly quite a bitch about it. Zenitsu was too busy with his internal problems to care about the monster he was killing.

Though, with Rui it's a bit weird, because it wasn't really Tanjiro who finished him off. But we do know that the guy who finished him off understands that it's possible to empathize with demons as he saw Tanjiro do it with Nezuko years ago and it helped tame her.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Can someone tell me, even if it's a spoiler, why Tanjiro's big head scar switches between two different designs seemingly at random?

I didn't even notice this was happening. When has it happened?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
aaaaaAAAAAAAAH I NEED SOMETHING TO HAPPEN

After all of the intensity of the last arc these last two episodes have dropped like a wet fart for me. All of it could easily have been a single episode for all it accomplished, possibly even half an episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

they didn't do anything to zenitsu. it's just way more annoying to actually hear him yelling than it is to read it

Why would someone not only thing Zenitsu as a character was a good idea, but direct the va to screech as annoyingly as possible for every millisecond of Zenitsu screentime? It drags down an otherwise solid show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Once Zenitsu's character was established, there wasn't really any reason to show him freaking out for 10 minutes at everything as that can be inferred. They could cut out 60% of his lines and still get the point across.

100%

I like the idea of Zenitsu, but abhor the execution. There's some really strong character development potential there witch him learning to believe in himself. It would also serve as a nice parallel to pig boy discovering humility and overcoming his hubris.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 13, 2019

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Pork Fist is a solid name.

Also death to Zenitsu :argh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Zenitsu isn't logical he's a whiny rear end in a top hat which is wonderful.

This doesn't compute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was expecting more from that honestly. More on the level of the end of the mountain arc. That was... Fine, but not all that spectacular.

I'm excited for the movie and a probable season 2.