Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

going back to this part of the series and realizing that people really harped on him about BE A MAN is definitely a contrast to the feeling that the manga values his kindness and emotional responses. i think giyu probably had the best case to say anything since tanjiro was literally in a life and death situation and just groveling, but sabito's remarks feel especially pointless? hollow? mean spirited? without what essentially amounts to future knowledge of the series's tone. in general this ep was pretty dull for me but knowing the selection starts next week and will kinda wrap this arc up, it should bring the series back to more of a high point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't know why they insist on breaking up the selection with pointless flashbacks and cutaways to sabito/makomo as if they have much bearing on anything, but it's kinda annoying. feels like that stuff would've been fine to place earlier on so we can just have the selection happen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the anime is at liberty to change things since, surprise, small cut-ins are significantly more obtrusive in anime. but i suppose i figured it was a manga thing i didn't remember.

almost all the sabito/makomo banter is just about the random strong demon so it really doesn't feel like it needed to be inserted into the fight and could instead just be foreboding. :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wouldn't say the cuts to the other two during the fight are pointless, they are there to rile our boy and make him lose his cool. Thats why we get a cut with Sabito saying "gently caress man, dont worry about us, just breathe"

it'd be a bit better conveyed visually if they showed up like tanjiro's brother tbh, cutting back to urokodaki's backyard and them having a conversation as if they can actually communicate with tanjiro is weird

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you see her project her actual dead family members onto two random strangers, so it's kinda weird. but again i think this is one of those early plot beats that got dropped like people making GBS threads on tanjiro for being soft

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the teeth thing is so loving weird and dumb and i like that the guy split into three personalities of: calm and collected, hangry, and teeth-grinding

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ihatepants posted:

(manga related spoilers) But then how does Taijiro pick Muzan out of a crowd solely by remembering his scent from the incident while he is trying to pretend being Human? I know it was never explicitly said, but it's either Muzan or I guess an upper moon on his command (probably UM1).

some manga spoilers here i guess. if Muzan is the top of the demon pyramid it would make sense to me that all demons have a similar smell to some degree, like a note of Muzan mixed with the individual's scent. Tanjiro smelling the demons this ep would somewhat confirm it imo. we do also know that demons other than Muzan have made demons, even though he was also active enough about making his upper moons to come across guys like Akaza.

sorry for the black bars, i hope this thread can kinda move away from the manga chat sooner rather than later

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i had like 200 chapters of the manga to binge so i never really had issues with the pacing

though in the show version of things the flashbacks and cuts elsewhere come off way more obtrusive and bad to me, that's my only real complaint

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the man closest to perfection in this world

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it does come up later but i don't think any of that will be in the anime material

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess it never occurred to me to think of the breaths as anything other than visual metaphor, but i couldn't tell you why

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

with tanjiro being barely able to kill some demons that aren't even part of the twelve moons there's no way things would've progressed against muzan, assuming he even stayed in that same city considering his desire for secrecy.

i suppose you can ask why the larger organization of the demon hunters don't act in this situation but it seems to fall under the same assumption you have to make that allows this centuries-long conflict exist in the first place: muzan is just crafty and powerful enough that circumstances remain in his favor.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also the JoJo comparison is funny considering we just saw muzan's curse and his preoccupation with having a fractured organization that can't act against or reveal him is also very in line with the boss from Part 5.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like zenitsu, it's a v good vocal performance this ep and was very worth seeing him get verbally beat down by a child. also jesus our pig boy is amazing in motion/sound

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't see how any of that is really a spoiler given the flashback this week

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I think the pacing of the latest episode could've been a little better. They clearly didn't want to get into the meat of the forest today and stretched it out a bit.

sad that this is like a defining point of this adaptation lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm ready for some big ZENITSU content

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel that was effectively conveyed and went over much better than stopping to explain attack lore would've been

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the demon's inner monologue is pretty explicit about the whole thing. she accepts her death, tanjiro can see it obviously in her body language, his new attack is said by the demon to feel like gentle rain and be painless. then you get flashback to demonic domestic abuse in case you really needed to know why she wanted to die beyond her scene with Rui introducing the hosed up family dynamic.

and why tanjiro would be nice to a demon is a non-question at this point

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad they busted out the cool new songs for zenitsu's focus ep, on top of some of the better/creepier cg

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i always thought she would've been a good fit against spiderdad

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would probably say she doesn't even start as a character and only slightly becomes one, but without her participation in the story leading to a sudden shift in her state of being or the pov (like, moving inside her head) the issue won't get any better. so it's the sort of situation where i find it hard to care about her presence in the story so long as they use it for moments that amount to cool/cute gifs. i suppose i take joy in these small moments but it's fleeting...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some good, good shinobu content this week

almost makes up for it not being what i expected, but i'm sure next week they'll finally leave this mountain

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

she sold out her own sister immediately so yeah, the episode is pretty much flipping your previously-established sympathy on its head there. same goes for rui getting basically nothing in terms of redemption unlike the last few demons tanjiro has taken down.

i think the degree to which they played up the kagura and igniting blood last week is more to blame for giyuu's appearance feeling hollow to people though. they pretty much had to immediately undercut that lol. but we've known the guy is a badass from ep1 and he's already well-established as being on mountain cleanup duty so it hardly comes out of nowhere.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i never really paid close attention to when the show or manga swaps between the designs but the darker and unnatural looking form the scar can sometimes take is related to an extension of the breathing techniques that manifests in certain demon slayers

it's fairly far past where this season will end

e: actually i suppose it makes more sense to say as tanjiro has his normal scar and the weird version of it is more of a separate mark that manifests due to breaths and overrides the scar, for the sake of visual simplicity?

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 28, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it'd be better if they skip assigning random powers to every tom dick and harry and just let stuff stand as examples of how deep the character relationships are. no offense to gotouge here but lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

flashy definitely works for him, look at all those beads and gems

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

splitting the pillar meeting stuff over two episodes was definitely a bit of a drag but the hospital recovery arc is one of my favorite things so i'm very glad they're doing it with what's left of this season

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like zenitsu even more when voiced because the performance is so fitting. it's some praiseworthy va work to commit so hard to the character.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish inosuke got cool sword effects

or even any moves to show off at all in the early part of the story

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why would they bothering giving cool effects to a weak character

*grumbles hoarsely*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but then i'd miss the inosuke scenes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/dandelion0323/status/1172830798010929152?s=20

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

amazing zenitsu ep this week

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some people just like trash, and I'm one of them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

zenitsu's reactions are about as sane and reasonable as tanjiro's inhuman magnanimity imo

it's just that being a screeching coward isn't generally considered admirable, aspirational etc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i am

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also Train movie makes enough sense to me since it's a thing they can actually reasonably fit into a movie runtime

everything else is too long, though i'd hope they jump from the movie to an S2 of the next two big arcs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also the cg was loving amazing this episode

ufotable needs to animate this all the way to the current arc because holy shiiiiiittttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd offer pig assault at the altar if it meant the official tl didn't have to keep terms like "hashira" and "hinokami kagura"