Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ready to see a really good boy and his companions do their thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DwekhcvpH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This was a pretty boss episode as well.

Sindai posted:

Nezuko is a very good girl. The somehow understated soccer kick decapitation slayed me.
That was so well-executed. I thought they were going to do the typical triple cut for that type of thing, but nah-- once it's more than enough. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that I thought was lowkey hilarious was the casting for this episode: You get Hikaru Midorikawa, one of the most easily-recognizable voice actors from the past 3 decades to voice a character that gets taken down with relative ease and bites the big bullet before the first half of the episode is done. Hopefully we get something similar soon. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, if composers sticking to tropes too closely were such a serious hamper, I'm sure I'd have more bones to pick with someone like Taku Iwasaki or Maiko Iuchi. Kajiura does right by whichever series/movie she's working on most of the time, so it's cool.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Season 1 will probably pick up the pace once we get to meet the other two main characters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Crackpot theory: Maybe Ufotable are trying to court Shueisha/Weekly Shounen Jump so that they can tackle more diverse future projects?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

somepartsareme posted:

Is the arms demon played by Koyasu? That voice sounds so familiar
Yes! Holy poo poo, they're keeping with what they did with the first demon (voiced by Midorikawa, btw). So hopefully we can get something like that one joke from Nichijou... but for Monsters of the Week. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not translated but we have a preview for the villains of the next arc who appear in the opening.

https://twitter.com/kimetsu_off/sta...video%2F.146423
Holy smokes! Leaving all this untranslated because the surprises are gonna be pretty baller and we don't wanna spoil anything for the anime-only peeps, but yeah. We're probably gonna get another rad couple of vocal performances in the upcoming episodes. :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That does indeed go into spoiler territory for further developments into the manga, so please try to keep that in mind if you don't get an answer, okey-doke?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, right. Yeah, Nezuko is gonna be more active from here on out. Darn. Got too focused on one thing. Sorry 'neko. :sweatdrop:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Same. The manga is great and all, but I've been honestly enjoying the anime on its own. Ufotable are loving knocking it out of the park with the adaptation so far. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Lizard posted:

I still can't decide what to think about this weird little show. The visual style top tier and a lot of fun, but the story is full of weird little missteps and things that doesn't make much sense, but the main protagonist and his sister are good characters with great character interactions and battles are great, but....

Overall I am liking it, but I have bunch of caveats about pretty much every single episode so far.
I've actually liked the show as a whole much better in how is presenting the story compared to the OG manga, but this is indeed a pretty common complaint of the early parts of KnY (volumes 1 and 2, I think?). Trust me, though: Once the manga finds its footing, it does so with gusto, and I expect the anime to pretty much up its ante from there on as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was pretty much the best way to translate that part into the anime. Still pants-voidingly horrifying. Like I know Seki can do villains, but holy smokes did he absolutely sold the "You mean nothing to me, boy" feel the manga established.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

His good boyness is of such magnitude he doesn't even need to explain why understands exactly how he feels, one sympathetic smile is enough. :unsmith:
It's his blessing and curse.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

I'm weeks behind so i'm not reading much of the thread, but i just wanted to say:

Stupid show you can't do this to me :qq:
It kicked you in the heart's groin, right?

Me too, kitten. Me too. :cry:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He still sounds like a dolt
That's part of Tanjiro's charm. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's like the scene in episode 2 where he won't take no for an answer when trying to build Nezuko's transportation basket. He's been offered a good, and dang it, he's gonna pay for it! :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn I had my doubts, but Hiro Shimono was the perfect casting for Zenitsu.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ufotable has fantastic sound direction. I went through the manga to see if Pig Assault's boar sound when he was breathing was there but nope, that and the beast snarl when he snaps his attacks were added by ufotable.
:yeah:

Also, while Hiro Shimono was an excellent fit for Zenitsu, I do believe that Yoshitsugu Matsuoka was perfect for Inosuke. Like, I know most people are gonna forever associate him with Kirito or Bell, but goddamn when he gets to do rowdy/insane voices is when he's at his absolute best.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have no loving idea who this is but I 100% agree.
Perfect Inosuke voice. Just like what I had in my head.
Pretty good voice actor from Hokkaido. He got famous thanks to voicing Kirito in Sword Art Online with a fairly nondescript voice, but thanks to a bunch of other roles, he's been kinda breaking out of that niche pretty well. From this year, and if you don't mind rom-coms, check him out in The Quintessential Quintuplets, where he sounds like kind of a mix between Gintoki from Gintama and the teacher from Goodbye Mr. Despair. Or, y'know, keep on watching this, because if he keeps on delivering with Inosuke, you got potential best boy of 2019 right here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

You can see Tanjiro start to think of Inosuke as a stupid little brother in real time and it's great
I can't help but to think of Inosuke as similar to Frederica from Coffin Princess Chaika. It's sorta the reason I love the little twerp.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

Or team eldest brother, I guess.
That's his gig. Tanjiro is an entertaining tsukkomi/straight man because he is a good, earnest young man... but even he has his limits.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rody One Half posted:

It would be pretty good if Yaiba had the Jojo narrator.
Kaguya-sama narrator or bust! :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Qwertycoatl posted:

Kaiji narrator or bust!
Game recognize game. I admit defeat. :gibs:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's like the ripple, but instead of being wielded by fabulous musclemen, it's wielded by good blokes. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Matsuoka was probably the best casting choice out of the main cast. I do feel that Hiro Shimono kinda gets Zenitsu across better, but that has its pros and cons.

Aside from the kid who's voiced by Kengo Kawanishi (who's ok), every single pillar and the leader of the Demon Slaying Corps is a no-brainer of casting since they're all stupidly talented.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't remember as good a boy in recent shounen that's as good as Gonpachiro Kentaro Yushiro Tanjiro.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My daughter started watching this show like two weeks ago and slowly made her way through the whole season. Her nickname for Inosuke? Porky Fist.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

"Zenitsu is good" they said

"He's just anxious because he's in a stressful situation, anyone would react that way" they said

I mean he's amusing enough, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to cram him into a locker if I could
If you don't want to stuff your loved ones into a locker when they're being Captain Silly-bollocks, then I don't know what to tell you. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

Not such a good boy now are you, Tanjiro you filthy BOT!
He's a cat bot, tho'. And cats are cool. And good. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Zenitsu is (mostly) a good boy and I won't let this denigration of his (kinda lovely) character stand!

He's just a dumbass kid.
Great AV title and Post combo! :monocle:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Slightly off-the-beaten-path thought/idea, but here it goes: Zenitsu kinda reminds me more of Aqua from KonoSuba than Mineta, Miroku or whoever, even if he does have elements of those types of characters. I think that's made him way more tolerable in my eyes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I love about Zenitsu unconditionally is that it gave us the best early Tanjiro reaction face.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They all vary, but even the "oldest" is relatively young. And yeah, Tokito (small kid with long hair) is Nezuko's age.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

also the cg was loving amazing this episode

ufotable needs to animate this all the way to the current arc because holy shiiiiiittttt
I mean, it seems like a no-brainer. Maybe it'll become their "thing" after the F/SN: Heaven's Feel trilogy is done?

I read the manga too, but please keep spoilers to a minimum, 'k?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No I know but since Fabricated is the OP for the manga thread, I just wanted to pre-empt. Maybe it was a little bit uptight on my end since Fab has been a good goon, so maybe I need to knock it off. :sweatdrop:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Now that the show is over I want to mention that I will never forgive crunchy for not using PIG ASSAULT
:yeah:

Like I know it's probably because it was originally a scanlation (is it on the official release? I dunno), but the idiom Inosuke uses (it's a yojijukugo/4-kanji idiom written something like 「猪突猛進」) is like a perfect encapsulation of Inosuke when we meet him, no matter what the translator decides to go with. Like that moment Dennis from The Refused screeched "CAN I SCREAM?!", or when Greg Puciato made his record debut with Dillinger Escape Plan after being with the band for almost 3 years using the most "gently caress the jeering naysayers" lyrics, or to bring it back into something anime-related, that moment when Levi first shows up and "Reluctant Heroes" start playing in Attack on Titan.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What? Pillar is perfectly acceptable/respectable. Hell, if it worked for the quartet of vampiric musclemen named after a mexican shredder, a new wave band, a pop duo and the proto cock-rock band, why wouldn't it work for the big badass top dogs fighting against them demons?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I swear I read/watched at some point that he actually considered becoming a pro-player through League of Legends before he started getting more significant parts at around 2012-2013, so this is pretty on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We're very likely to get the whole dang thing animated, tbh. Like Shueisha/WSJ would be loving daft to not capitalize on the popularity this got. I mean sure, this is just basically one big commercial for the manga, but I'm almost certain that manga sales skyrocketed from "Hey, this is selling pretty well!", to "HOLY DIVER, ROLLER, BUTCHER, BAKER, CANDLESTICK MAKER ALL FIVE OF 'EM OUT TO SEA, THIS IS SELLING LIKE HOTCAKES".