Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I didn't like first episode very much becouse despite being very pretty, I felt it abused monologues, inner monologues in particular to the point of farce. Second episode is much better however, and the sudden soccer kick decapitation had pretty much won me over for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I still can't decide what to think about this weird little show. The visual style top tier and a lot of fun, but the story is full of weird little missteps and things that doesn't make much sense, but the main protagonist and his sister are good characters with great character interactions and battles are great, but....

Overall I am liking it, but I have bunch of caveats about pretty much every single episode so far.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, ok, that escalated quickly. :stare:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The thing I am interested in is: we know Muzan can "create" demons and if I understood it correctly, every demon he "creates" can create other demons as well. And we just saw that the transformation from human to demon is almost instantaneous. Will we get the recreation of various "one infected in panicked crowd of soon to be zombies/demons" scenes from zombie movies in the next episode?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, at this point my big question is.... We have a demon lady doctor, who studied demons for god knows how long and is pretty knowledgeable about them, to the point she feels that she will be able to create cure for demon-hood from basically nothing, if she has necessary material available. So....Why didn't Tanjiro asked her for a way to restore Nezuko's mind? We already know that just being demon doesn't mean you automatically turn into bloodthirsty abomination or that you need to kill and consume humans, as demonstrated by demon healer lady and her apprentice and restoring a human mind of a demon should be a lot easier than just inventing a demon cure. The fact that Tanjiro didn't even care to ask and that anime didn't even address the issue of Nezuko's mind, when someone who could be able to help with it is right there bothers me quite a bit.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wow, Innosuke went from 0 to 100 pretty drat quick. I had my doubts last few episodes, but they were all dispelled here. :allears:

Also lol at Tanjiro's most superhuman physical attribute being his completely invulnerable forehead.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 7, 2019

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh. I didn't expect neither the Spider Mom, just unceremoniously snapping the neck of the controlled Demon Hunters after Tanjiro and Inosuke spend like half episode trying to save them, nor that the Demons apparently decided that the best part of the whole "family" thing they have going on is being able to go full on domestic violence and abuse.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This anime continues to weirdly fumble its story beats, but it also continues to have cool fights, great character moments and godly animations that makes me not care about its faults.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, the whole "protagonist does all-or-nothing attack that seemingly defeats the villain at the end of episode, but at the beginning of the next episode it's revealed that the villain actually countered it and the the protagonist is at their mercy! But wait! A new character appears! And he is super cool and effortlessly defeats villain with his own super-move!" reminded me of Bleach, which is not a praise, to say the least. Also was not super thrilled about how the show decided to conclude the whole thing with spider sister. I guess I was supposed to be OK with her death when it was pointed out that she killed tons of people, but at that point it was obvious that the spiderbro would have tortured and killed her if she even thought about going off script in any way, like not wanting to kill people, so I felt that it was a lot less damming the the show wanted it to. And the bug lady going "hey, do you want to be survive and be my friend? Well, I'll have to torture you so hard you would die multiple times if you were a human first, but no biggie right? No? Oh, well, agonizing death time via anti-demon poison!" right after the flashback made it clear that spider sister is basically abuse victim was also super weird and made bug lady look like unhinged psychopath.

Was not feeling this episode at all.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
sigh... of course Rui gets half of an episode for his tragic backstory, a moment of pity from good-boy Tanshiro and implied forgiveness in afterlife, because I guess he shown a regret in literally last second he spent living on this earth?

Yeah...whatever, at least this new stuff with Demon Hunter Organization looks great.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I have absolutely no problem with Tanjiro pitying demons and offering them sympathy in their dying moments in general. It's cool and great and one of the big themes of the show.

But I have problem with the with portrayal of Rui and his Spider family. All of the members of Spider family, despite being mass-murdering monsters are also shown to be victims by Rui, who warped them, abused them and controlled them, making him pretty much directly responsible for their behavior and atrocities. Yet their deaths get barely a shrug (with exception of the mother who got shrug and sigh, which I agree is something, I guess?) . Rui, who is objectively thousand times worse than any member of his "family", being a hosed-up abuser and basically lesser version of Muzan, in addition to being a mass-murdering monster, gets all the song and dance of flashback with tragic backstory, realization that what he did was wrong in his last moments and vision of his parents forgiving him as he is engulfed in white light. While they all definitely deserved to die, Rui, gets lions share of humanizing, sympathy and pathos while the rest of the Spider family, outside of Spider mom, get none, which leaves me disliking the whole thing. Rui not getting any flashback this episode, leaving Spider mom the most sympathetic of the "family" would be ok, nut this way, its a mess. At least for me. :shrug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Not gonna lie, Hashiras are pretty great, Love Hashiras and Wind Hashira in particular.

Also I'm not very surprised that Hashiras are pretty incredulous about Nezuko being a good girl, considering the explanation for why she doesn't eat people is "oh, demons totally don't have to eat people to survive and get stronger, they can just sleep a lot! :downs:", which.... isn't very convincing.

They could be a bit less assholish about it, but that wouldn't be as fun.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yea, the spider family was last big arc, this is just winding down for the end of a season.

All we probably gonna get until the season finishes is fuming Nezuko, chilling Tanjiro, depressed Innosuke and probably a stinger for next season. Maybe a bit of Love Hashira, if we are lucky. And I'm OK with that.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kimetsu no Yaiba's biggest strength (outside of animation) is interactions and comedy between its character and this episode was nothing like this, so there was pretty much nothing to complain about. Nice development for Shinobu here, who I'm finally beginning to like (Her "ara ara sayonara" was great). Depressed pig boy is nice change of pace too. Zenitsu being horny instead of terrified is change of pace as well, but calling it nice would be a bit too much. There must be some great pay-off and development of his character later, considering all the people loving him here, but as anime only watcher, right now he is roughly on the same level as Mineta from Hero Academia.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zenitsu is pathetic, and is treated as pathetic by everyone around him. The narrative doesn't ignore or condone his behavior.

Mineta is sexually harassing someone every time he's on screen but it's contextually treated like it's a hilarious joke. He sucks on a level Zenitsu doesn't even approach.

Um, literally every single time Zenitsu was in vicinity of an attractive female character and was able to move, he tried to harass her and it was always treated as a joke. In this very episode there was like 5 minute long comedic segment where he has a tirade about how incredibly cool it is that they can touch girls during the recuperation sessions, which ends with him coping a feel during a game of tag and getting slapped for it.

Both him and Mineta are cowardly, react to incredible situations they end up with as a result of their profession as an ordinary human would, are generally considered pathetic but can be badass if backed in the corner and have absolutely horrible attitude and behavior towards women, which is treated as comedy (unfortunately). The only big difference is that Zenitsu is major character, while Mineta is a minor one, so Zenitsu has a lot more space to be badass and show other sides of his character then just being a sex pest.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Movie spoilers, do not read before finishing the movie: Actually Zenitsu was one of the more disappointing things about the movie. As Spanish Matlock says, you got a demon who puts people to sleep and a dude who turns into insane badass when he falls asleep, the plot should write itself once you put these two together, but Zenitsu barely does anything the whole movie. It's huge waste IMHO.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Eye Mouth and Mouth Eyes got it worse.

He also appears to have traded 2 normal arms for 10 baby arms and I'm not sure that it was a good trade.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I agree that the opening with the Upper Ranks was so extra it ended up being kinda silly.

Outside of that, good episode. I like the hospital crew. :unsmith:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Strange dolls lying in forests distributing swords is no basis for a system of swordsmanship. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 17, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Same. Imho water breathing was far more visually impressive then just the flames he has now. I hope he eventually combines Water and Fire/Sun Breathing into his own distinctive style. I would like that far more than for Water Breathing to be just completely abandoned.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wasn't the whole point of the concept of "Upper Moons" that there are no sucky ones? :confused:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Is it really a suprise? Like 99% of characters in Kimetsu no Yaiba are pretty and hot

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Maybe any human can temporarily gain demon powers by eating demons, it's just that no-one outside of Genya tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, I don't dislike the new trend of getting 2-4 episodes at once on premieres.