Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just watched ep1. I love the manga, but I'll still be giving this the three episode test.
There's some CG in a few walking shots that looks a little stilted. While it isn't the most atrocious CG I've ever seen, I'm not a huge fan of it.

If it frees them up to make the fight animations cooler - like if they actually do the breath stylizing like the manga (it's in the OP at the end, so, probably?) - I'm in. Also, I guess this is a good way to refresh myself on the older bits of the story. Like, I totally forgot that it was Giyuu who found them.

E: I'm super sleepy and I wish I had something more substantive to say. I do like Tanjirou's VA so far, it seemed like he was going out of his way to sound very nice and young and innocent at the beginning of the story. I hope we get to see his voice evolve over the course of the anime, because if my memory serves me right it's not an insignificant amount of time that gets covered in the first few arcs.

Also, I did really like the animation of the fight scene with Giyuu. All three of them showed quite a bit of emotion during the fight and it was conveyed well, I think. I still do have pretty high hopes for the future fights.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Man the anime is good.
We should recycle the thread names though.
Kimetsu No Yaiba Anime: Tanjiro is still a good boy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just remembered, the running sequence of cgi (in the forest) was actually pretty good, I think I'm just fine with this use of CGI.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It doesn't really stick. We see with a lot of the later characters how caring for their family, getting revenge for their family's murders, and caring for their new family of demon hunters is balanced well. As with real life, there are characters that deal with it healthily, and characters that don't.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
such good boys

Also can't wait to see more bird antics.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
You don't need to do mental backflips about this. Every kid he's sent for years has died. Even if he didn't know specifically that it was that one demon, it would make him reluctant to just keep mulching children he cares about.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Nezuko does participate more from this point on.
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, sometimes as a tiny tiny person.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

7c Nickel posted:

I thought it was less that Muzan killed his family and more that the demon that killed his family had to be a "descendant" of Muzan.

It's this. Muzan is the big baddie, but he merely started the strain of demonization, he didn't kill Tanjiro's family.

Also, I too think that Nezuko is just a Good Girl who protected her brother (more than once) without any kind of suggestion, so I think the suggestion is just kinda nothing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I could see a few more years. Dunno about much longer.
Like, 300 chapters total, tops?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's interesting that it's much more explicit in the anime that Tanjiro thinks it's Muzan directly who killed his family and turned Nezuko. I always got the feeling from the manga that it was just general demon scent coming from Muzan, that he just smelled similar to all the other demons so Tanjiro could pick him out. But either I misremembered or was just wrong.

Either way, what a great episode. I keep noticing when watching with my roommate that these episodes seem to go by so quickly, and other stuff we watch seems to take a while. It's just that watching this is so fun that time flies!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
The last demon we saw said that he ate young girls because if they got older, they smelled bad.

Just ... FYI.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I assumed his forehead scar was just a burn from working with coal as kid. Like how his palms noticeably calloused.

His hands were very noticeably calloused from training with a sword.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm seconding the opinion that the CGI waa actually really good this episode.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime: Nezuko is a Good Girl

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Man, I forgot how much Zenitsu sucked at first.

Don't worry all, he does get better. He is a very good boy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Nephthys posted:

Gotta say that there's an awful lot of "Yeah this sucks a bit but don't worry, it gets loads better later" in this thread.

I have to say that the show hasn't really invested me too much because so far theres a lot thats almost good but not actually getting there.

It kinda surprises me a bit because i straight up didn't remember either the brainwashing bit or Zenitsu's introduction. I mean, I'm pretty poo poo at remembering things, but I remember Inosuke's introduction and a lot of the villain stuff from this. So I think as the manga goes along a lot of the chaff gets weeded out.
Zenitsu as a person marginally changes, but the presentation of him changes a lot, I think.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Honestly, at this point my big question is.... We have a demon lady doctor, who studied demons for god knows how long and is pretty knowledgeable about them, to the point she feels that she will be able to create cure for demon-hood from basically nothing, if she has necessary material available. So....Why didn't Tanjiro asked her for a way to restore Nezuko's mind? We already know that just being demon doesn't mean you automatically turn into bloodthirsty abomination or that you need to kill and consume humans, as demonstrated by demon healer lady and her apprentice and restoring a human mind of a demon should be a lot easier than just inventing a demon cure. The fact that Tanjiro didn't even care to ask and that anime didn't even address the issue of Nezuko's mind, when someone who could be able to help with it is right there bothers me quite a bit.

I thought they made it pretty clear that Tamayo was pretty unique (and that she may have used her blood demon technique on herself to free herself of Muzan's grasp), and the demon guy she made whose name I'm blanking on took decades of fiddling to do properly.
So neither is really useful for Tanjiro (and Nezuko).

And the demon blood would be a cure, but ... you have to get it first. POSSIBLE SPOILERS REMOVED.

Sorry if it was, folks. My B.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 24, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Too good of a boy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay yeah, just watched the ep and wowzas they made Inosuke look a whole shitload worse here.
Unsure if editorial decision or padding for time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Tanjiro's chance at making normal friends died with his family.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
No narrators, no masters

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Nephthys posted:

So I take it that being hit by Actual Lightning is why Zenitsu has real superpowers and can shoot lightning around himself while he's powering up? Because that poo poo was crazy.

Nevermind, turns out the exaggerated the hell out of Zenitsu from what hes like in the manga.

I hate to break this to you, but Tanjiro doesn't actually summon water when he does a move.
It's a metaphor.

Their real powers are: smell good, hear good, feel (things) good.

Just remember: No fly. Jump good.

E: okay it's not a metaphor, it's ... an artistic representation of the form of their martial arts.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 28, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

L-O-N posted:

I'm going to guess Love hashira.

:hmmyes:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Is no one talking about how good of a boy Zenitsu is and how he can literally summon thunder?
(Probably not, but still)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
To me it seemed moreso to show that even though Tanjiro has gotten a lot more powerful, he still doesn't really have poo poo on even one of the lower moons, it's the stereotypical "there's a whole world of power that the MC has barely scratched the surface of" thing. It's not really about showing Giyuu off because (very slight spoiler for the next few episodes/the next arc, if I remember correctly) Giyuu doesn't really feature again until a few arcs later - aside from what i think the next episode is gonna cover. So it's not like Giyuu comes back and features a lot from now on.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 18, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Lt. Lizard posted:

sigh... of course Rui gets half of an episode for his tragic backstory, a moment of pity from good-boy Tanshiro and implied forgiveness in afterlife, because I guess he shown a regret in literally last second he spent living on this earth?

Yeah...whatever, at least this new stuff with Demon Hunter Organization looks great.

Uh, if you don't like that you should probably just fast forward past the end of every fight.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Not gonna lie, Hashiras are pretty great, Love Hashiras and Wind Hashira in particular.

Also I'm not very surprised that Hashiras are pretty incredulous about Nezuko being a good girl, considering the explanation for why she doesn't eat people is "oh, demons totally don't have to eat people to survive and get stronger, they can just sleep a lot! :downs:", which.... isn't very convincing.

They could be a bit less assholish about it, but that wouldn't be as fun.

There's not a tooon more to draw off of from being current with the manga about him, but uh, the Wind Pillar is one of like, two pillars I would be uncomfortable calling a "good boy/girl". The other I don't remember even knowing enough about to make a call on it.

Like, he's a good Pillar - there's a good reason he's a pillar. Maybe he's even (spoilers) a passable brother, in a kinda dickish way.
But the ep we just saw establishes him as a giant rear end, and I don't think that changes.

E: lemme know if too spoilery. I don't think so, but I don't wanna be a jerk.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 5, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
We need a gif of that Nezuko

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Zenitsu is (mostly) a good boy and I won't let this denigration of his (kinda lovely) character stand!

He's just a dumbass kid.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Uuuuuuh

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also most of them have had their lives utterly ruined by demons and (I think) have experiences with demons lying through their teeth long just long enough to try and kill the people who take pity on them. It’s part of why they became demon slayers, and this same hatred of demons drove them to be strong enough to push the limits of their swordsmanship and become pillars. (Most, but not all. Rengoku came from a family of demon slayers, but he was by no means the norm.)

This will be covered for a lot of the pillars later on in the series. Some of them are very nice, actually, but they aren’t all great people. They’re not there to be nice. They’re there to kill as many demons as possible.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Verus posted:

lol 'at first', like this doesn't make him irredeemably evil
I too cannot distinguish between different time periods and cultures and thus condemn everything but what I personally believe in the here and now as heresy.

E: added quote for clarity.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
The anime original pre-movie episode was pretty good, and gives me hope that they intend to at least partially fill out the back half. That would be very nice.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Every episode feels like five minutes.

My gf and my friend and I all watch this together, and that’s what we say every single episode. How are these twenty minutes, we’re so engrossed that it feels like 5.
Gotta say, as much as I like the manga, the anime just takes it to another level.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Naw.
It’s all about being … FLASHY!!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
What a great end to the season. Gf was really concerned uzui and inosuke would die like Rengoku. The way she saw it, any character who was at all aspirational or good aside from Tanjiro and Nezuko would be offed. While I know exactly what happens, I’m glad she’s wrong, for her sake.
Was really hard to not say anything while the arc played out though. To me, the dynamic of the upper six duo vs. tanjiro and nezuko is just such a great payoff - I couldn’t say anything about the resolution at all until it was done.
Tanjiro is still such a good boy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I forgot to warn my fiancé to make sure it was subbed, not dubbed.
We went to the dub showing.

LorneReams posted:

The credits were the prefect time to get refills and bathroom breaks. More movies should have intermissions.

I used the credits judiciously to get more beers. I was not the only one to do so.

The animation was great, the Infinity Castle sequence was super super cool. The dub was much more tolerable when it wasn’t a fight sequence and tiny nezuko was adorable, so I’m hype for the next season.
Even though it was the dub I’m not sad I saw it in theaters.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Reminder: it was in the movie, so they probably had cash to blow on it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How many hashiras would it take to beat goku

Rengoku + Goku eating contest when.

E: holy poo poo I just got this.

Shyrka posted:

Genya busting out the Abe special.
:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Gazaar posted:

It was OK, but we didn't need like 3 episodes or w/e about this guy.

Exactly. Vase guy sucked, glad he’s dead and no I didn’t want to see his weird vase backstory or whatever the hell he was about. It was a good opportunity to show how good boy Tanjiro’s kindness provided exactly what Tokito was missing to complete his broken-rear end build, now he’s ridiculously stronger and did the needful.