Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've wanted to read the manga for a while but I'm bad at starting things, so I went with the anime instead because the opening's really good and Ufotable is a good way to sell me a series.

I definitely enjoyed this first episode a lot. Maybe it'll get me reading the manga as well, if it keeps being this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay so this is clearly Fate, right? I mean, Ufotable, but also that ending was clearly one of Fate's.

It's not even Kalafina too, it's the other Kajiura group, and yet it still feels completely identical.

On the episode itself: drat, this series is good. I loved pretty much everything in it, but especially anything around Nezuko, from that silly pouting because she has to be on her basket away from the sun to that badass kicking against the demon. She's the best and I hope she keeps being the best.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At least the opening is still unquestionably awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHP9IOkhRis

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ibblebibble posted:

https://twitter.com/NomiMatsu/status/1121017218576211969

Glad to hear that Tanjiro's VA is also a good good boy.

Oh god, that's hilarious. I hope the zero makes him not get blocked again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I already knew this series is good at hitting emotional scenes but I see it's extremely good at terror too. Muzan's introduction is absolutely perfect.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dzhay posted:

So... why are they leaving without killing the demon that makes more demons? That seems like it should priority one for the entire demon-slaying community.

I'm pretty sure it is but getting to Kibutsuji doesn't seem nearly that easy. He's living a completely normal life, he can go fully unseen by the community at large unlike normal demons, and even if someone manages to clear that hurdle and get to him he can just create a commotion by birthing another demon then escape in the chaos, or worst case scenario, he can just murder whoever gets in his way since he's still far more powerful than any demon he's created.

The closest comparison I can think of, at least from what we've seen of him so far, is Kira Yoshikage. Different ways to kill people, but similar methodologies in not standing out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lube Enthusiast posted:

My only issue with this series is Nezuko being brainwashed/hypnotised into seeing friends and allies as the deceased members of her family.

Yeah, that's uhh...really creepy. I'm glad Tanjiro pointed out that he wasn't all that comfortable with it either but then backtracks from that and we're apparently meant to see it as something good and her reactions as adorable when she's literaly brainwashed and by someone that's meant to be good at that.

It's creepy and bad writing in a series that has otherwise been really good and I hope the writer does get awareness of that being bad eventually and removes it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't read the manga so I won't make any comparisons but it definitely felt weird how all of that was happening yet it took that long for Tanjiro to snap and actually do something. Not to mention the repeated scenes. It definitely felt poorly paced like they were trying to stall for time.

But hey, I like Zenitsu a lot more now after his defense of Nezuko's box for a purely selfless reason.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If I started to appreciate Zenitsu last episode, it didn't last, and I'm back to wondering why he's even in this show. His dumb jokes are not entertaining and he's annoying nearly to literally all the time he's on-screen. The only good thing that's come from him is his bird and I feel sorry for the poor thing.

At least Inosuke is still good and Tanjiro and Nezuko never stopped being great, but god, remove the kid or have him go through character growth ASAP please.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I thought it was pretty obvious what it was intended to do. It wasn't nearly as obvious how or why it worked but it's a fantasy series so I don't particularly need to know that either. It's just how Tanjiro's Hamon works and that's fine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wark Say posted:

It's like the ripple, but instead of being wielded by fabulous musclemen, it's wielded by good blokes. :3:

It's 100% the Ripple too, like, it's a martial art channeled through breathing created specifically to kill beings that otherwise only die to the light of the Sun.

Can't wait for Tanjiro and Zenitsu to get super ripped. Inosuke is already there and therefore the best and strongest.

Also I actually found Zenitsu kind of hilarious this episode, his backstory was very nice and his actual battle was excellent. I just wish that he didn't have to be two different characters for all of this, but I can understand why letting him use that super-iaido at all times would kind of break the story. Nonetheless, disconnected from that, his humour could be more consistent, this episode was genuinely funny, previous episode was incredibly irritating.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Nezuko get outta the box and kick some rear end

Yeah, seriously. It's night, there's no explanation why Nezuko hasn't done anything yet. Even from a thematic perspective, having her appear now, when the theme of family has become so important, would be obvious, yet she's...not.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

The next arc is apparently going to be adapted as a special movie.

Indeed it is.

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1177961281279496193?s=19

I guess it's because of the economical costs of keeping that level of animation, because I can't see why otherwise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raposa posted:

Really hope that movie is watchable on crunchyroll.

Likewise, canon anime movie is a terrifying prospect because who knows when it'll be avaliable worldwide, so that'd help a lot.

Also Zenitsu was very enjoyable in this episode serving as the common sense, city-knowing part of the team, and I hope that the movie and following seasons have more of that and less screaming.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpartanIvy posted:

Hey so I just finished watching this and I'm a little confused about where it fits into the Jojo timeline. Because of the electricity in the city it must be between parts 1 and 2 right?

It still doesn't fully explain how Michael Jackson came to possess a stone mask though.

Here's a Taisho secret to answer that.

The Taisho era happened between 30 July, 1912 and 25 December, 1926. Part 1 ends in 1889, while Part 2 starts in 1938. Therefore, your guess is actually correct, the events of Kimetsu no Yaiba would happen between Parts 1 and 2.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klsU4erJnEs

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It surpassed One Piece, which I'm pretty sure is literally impossible. There's no way in hell they won't monetize this as much as possible and then some.

The anime will continue, more figures will come out, we'll get mediocre games including at least one gacha.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jerkface posted:

Sorry for the bump but couldnt risk spoilers by posting this in manga thread: I am incredibly bored in stay at home quarantine so I have been looking for manga/anime series to catch up on. I watched the demon slayer anime and thought it was very good, and I decided against reading the manga when the first season ended because I thought the show did such a good job with the animation/music/etc that it was worth it to see things there for the first time.

BUT IM SO FUCKEN BORED. Should I read the manga? Enjoyable for anime first people?

I'm probably going to just do it and this is a borderline dumb question but still, gimme ur thoughts

It's good. Go for it. Do note that the art is a lot rougher though, the anime is much prettier, but the story is still the same.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

C-Euro posted:

Rengoku more like Ren-bro-ku

Renbroku would be the best translation for ANIKI, I agree.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m sure everyone ITT is aware, but there are legitimately few industries more merciless and cutthroat that monthly manga production. If you don’t almost immediately start trending upwards towards the big dawgs then you basically are DOA.

It goes double for Shonen Jump too. Lots of newbies I was genuinely enjoying got cancelled before the 20th chapter, before they could even get to the plots they wanted to tell, and it sucks every time.

It wasn't the case for KnY which managed to get to an ending, but god reading Shonen Jump new manga can be really sad because they may get cancelled at any moment.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SchrodingersCat posted:

This show makes all other visual media seem like steaming trash in comparison.

There's other really good looking anime out there, but honestly Ufotable are monsters who make insanely good looking anime that put pretty much any other studio to shame and I enjoy every frame I get.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Das Boo posted:

Sorry, but you inspired me.

I'm not sure why you're apologizing, this is excellent and adorable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dipwood posted:

While Zenitsu is insufferable most of the time, his reactions to the things Tengen says have been on point, especially right after the 3 wives announcement.

It's the thing with Zenitsu. He's really fun when he's the grounded, common sense part of the trio, reacting to how bizarre everyone else is. He was also fun when he called out Inosuke for not understanding what a train is and wanting to challenge the thing to a race, for instance.

He's intolerable when he's screaming in fear and being extremely horny, which is sadly most of the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The true secret technique of the Sound Breath...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJvkeFdPyY

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The strongest of swords.

Gun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm very pleased with myself because genya is one of the few times i've actually been able to place a japanese va

I immediately realized he was Nobuhiko Okamoto too. His angry voice is unmistakable, he just goes full Bakugo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, he isn't wearing a track suit?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How old is tokito supposed to be, gyokko called him 10 but I think he was just trying to get under his skin

He's 14, Gyokko was trying to get under his skin (and failing, and getting mad instead, Tokito is just a master troll)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not having Inosuke is a sad but necessary sacrifice so we can get rid of Zenitsu for a while.