Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I wasn't into what fifteen-twenty chapters I read of the manga so I hope this can pull me back in, I like the premise a good amount!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
really enjoying this! liking it more than manga right now if only because I like the slower pace where I thought the early bits of the manga I read moved a bit quickly and jumped around a bit. i do hope we meet some of the three thousand characters the OP has teased soon tho, do we know how many episodes this is yet?

also nezuko is the best

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Two cour. And it sounds like the plan is for another season down the line if this one does well.
this is great news!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The sudden two year timeskip really bugged me in the manga to where I stopped reading a little bit after and it still kinda does here. There's a lot of telling and montaging just to get Tanjiro strong enough to be a protagonist and the "I trained for a year, and then trained another year and my sister didn't do anything that entire time and my teacher I live with didn't talk to me anymore" feels a little sloppy to me. I feel like I'm kinda nitpicking but the leap from "I want to save my sister" to "I need to join the demon fighting military" also doesn't quite connect for me. This section just all kinda feels artificial, like the author didn't quite know how to get Tanjiro from Normal Boy to Anime Protagonist smoothly.

Still, the twist at the end is fitting for these kind of yokai stories and the episode looks great throughout. Gonna try to stick it out this time and trust the writing to improve. I also like Tanjiro's new long hair and mad it doesn't look like he keeps it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yes! that was another thing that bothered me. Sabito's "You need to keep things inside" seemed really out of place and he kept saying that Tanjiro needs to be "a man" as if dedicating himself for a months and month to help his only surviving loved one and getting frustrated when there doesn't seem to be any growth was immature

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I'm not sure season 1 will even get to the point where I think the series really hits its stride,
uhhhh it's gonna be over twenty episodes so i sure hope it does!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Manatee Cannon posted:

o is it? I thought it was just 12. I had some natural end points in mind but that throws them out the window for sure
Yeah MAL has it down for 26 episodes, which I feel is a lot for the new Shonen Anime Season trend, but it makes me feel better about any pacing issues. The OP also seems to suggest it's gonna go some places so im gonna stick with it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Liked this ep a lot more! echoing that the water effect looks sick as hell. this show just looks Good and that's enough to keep me coming back until the story starts getting underway. the demon in this episode was exactly the kind of weird design i wanted, the ones that just look like humans with sharp teeth and veins are super boring

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still feel like the story is a tad rushed (Here are three ((secretly four?)) other characters who will def be important later, but none of them are going to talk to nor think about each other or have names right now, just here's your rank, your bird and leave), but i can accept that the Real Kimetsu No Yaiba Starts Here and keep going on.

I liked like everything else in this episode! nezuko just slamming the door off got me good. just wish it would chill a bit

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's really weird to me if Sakonji knew exactly what was killing his kids and did nothing rather than him not knowing and just assuming his kids couldn't make it past final selection so he didn't really want to train anymore.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is where I left off in the manga so im real excited!

My only gripe is that I'm let down that the demon that killed Tanjiro's family is The Big Bad Demon Guy From Centuries Past. it has the opposite effect and just makes that plot thread way less cool. Also that Nezuko had to be hypnotized into being good instead of wanting to do it herself is lame

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

7c Nickel posted:

I thought it was less that Muzan killed his family and more that the demon that killed his family had to be a "descendant" of Muzan.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's this. Muzan is the big baddie, but he merely started the strain of demonization, he didn't kill Tanjiro's family.
Oh okay, I totally missed that, so it was a demon created from a human turned into a demon. Does that imply that theoretically Nezuko's blood could do the same thing?

and yeah it was also totally believable to me that Nezuko's humanity was fighting back and she was empathizing with the guy and the girl.

I feel like I've been mostly negative so I'll say I like the music a lot in this show, not even just the Nier-esque singing stuff, but the battle themes are rad. The sound effects too, the very loud slurping noise of the demon moving and his gross teeth grinding are good inhuman markers

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Probably shouldn't even ask this so maybe don't answer, but for manga readers, how long of a series does this feel? Like is the end in sight or could this keep running for a couple more years. I've always come in pretty late to the newer Shonen Jump stuff so I'm excited to be on the ground floor, of the anime adaptation at least

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Enjoyed this ep! The twist was good and I'm excited to see more of him. The more a villain is like Yoshikage Kira the better. It's amazing how much the ep seemed to fly by considering very little happened.

I still think it's dumb if Muzan was just wandering in the woods and decided to kill Tanjirou's family, so i'm going with the Underling of His headcanon

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
So that means Muzan is def the one who killed Tanjirous family, meaning that someone there injured Muzan enough for his blood to be drawn to get into Nezukos wounds?

Or am i not supposed to think this hard?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That demonization was instant, while Nezuko was found lying on the ground, her final act being protecting her younger sibling.

Like he's literally an evil demon lord so maybe trying to puzzle out his rationale for demonizing people is dumb but the situp still isnt quuuuuite clicking for me

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 21, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A bit behind, just watched Episode 9 and 10 and really enjoyed that fight. It was a good two, simple power sets and made use of every character present and of course it looks fantastic. Yushiro's head coming back was so hosed up and good. I didn't care too much for the emotional beat of "buff ball lady is just like a child, please feel bad for her" but in the moment I really wanted tanjiro to at least pass the ball back and forth or something. her design ruled tho.

I'm ready for the main plot becomes a bit less "Just listen to the crow and walk to the assigned next fight" but it's still early with more main cast to come so I get it.

The whole cure for Nezuko plotline felt a bit dropped though. Like, Tamayo says the two demons weren't Twelfth Moon demons so their power isn't close enough to Muzan to work, but she takes blood from them anyway? And doesn't do anything with it? then they leave with no way of contacting Tanjiro again?

e: I don't want to sound like I'm trying to cinemasins this show, I might just be bad at watching anime, but I feel I have a lot of constant niggling questions or confusions like that.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 23, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay, Yushiros, it's fine I wasn't questioning the integrity of Lady Tamayo, I understand her function in the story and that she'll return but it just seems this story adds or drops characters and ideas pretty quickly. Like it's not a stretch for me to think that Tanjiro will be draining and storing blood from the demons he's killing, but I have to just think Well, He Does It. How will Nezuko deal with being a demon and that her brother dedicates his life for her and undergoes grueling training? Oh she doesn't, she just naps for seven hundred days until there's room for her in the story. Same with the three other Demon Hunters we see at the exam final that don't get named or barely talked to by Tanjiro or each other until it's time for electric boy to be in the plot.

I guess I just want this story to chill out a bit and breath, but it's a bit of revolving door on a lot of fronts. Which is totally understandable is this as the creator's first big work and she's pretty young, it's just a bit frustrating is all

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Susamaru was still a higher class Demon so her blood could be helpful.
This is fair, I might have read too deply into her saying "They're too weak"

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 24, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

somepartsareme posted:

i mean we are only like 20 chapters into the manga. maybe they're trying to set up too much too quickly but i think it is too early to say things are being dropped
True, I didn't think about that, and maybe 'dropped' is a bit strong, but for an anime viewer, this is like halfway through a season so maybe the feeling is a bit off

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Built up a backlog of episodes and then watched two episodes a week, and I feel like that helps with some pacing problems I saw mentioned so I'll probably try and keep that up. Finished Episode 14 and I feel like I'm coming around on this more now that there's more of a group. I liked the drum demon a lot and Inosuke is a beautiful boy. I do hope the party becomes more active in the plot rather than just following their crow waypoint marker. And also maybe Nezuko does more, I loved that she helped in the Ball + Arrow fight but I honestly forgot she existed for the three or so episodes they were in the moving house.

Also Zenitsu's bit kinda really blows. His big scene where he got to be cool and then didn't even know he did it was the biggest loving whiplash for me. And the last five or so minutes of Episode 14 where he is just shouting almost constantly despite Tanjiro telling him to stop was rooooough. And as much as I like Inosuke, I really want Tanjiro to make some friends that have some volume control or don't wear a muzzle. I get that Tanjiro is this elder brother type and so kinda is supposed to be wrangling and taking care of these goofballs, but boy it'd be nice to for him to engage with a normal person

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, and it's kind of a big one imo. Back when Inosuke wanted to destroy the box, I was totally expecting her to come out and for the group to actually discuss this issue, but like, has Inosuke actually seen Nezuko yet? I'm an episode behind

Her napping for two years of her life is still pretty lol too

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think I would argue that's why this show misses with me more than it does for other people. It feels like someone is doing a speedrun of a shounen story, but hitting Skip Cutscene where downtime would usually be to get me really connected and engrossed. One Piece may be long, but when it's hitting, it's loving hitting and blasting me rear end over teakettle and stays with me. Here, it looks and sounds cool as poo poo, but it doesn't continue to resonate with me when I'm not watching.

So I guess I wish there was buildup

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

KNY has roughly the same budget as any other anime (except special cases like Rage of Bahamut, where they actually did throw money at the production). It's just that the staff are really good at their jobs, and maybe had a somewhat more generous/well-structured production schedule than is usual.
all the tax fraud made ufotable really powerful

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Is no one talking about how good of a boy Zenitsu is and how he can literally summon thunder?
(Probably not, but still)
the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making me like zenitsu and episode 17 did it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shinobowns

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shoulda been some cool hosed up women siblings spiders. the guys looked weird and the girls just Got Tattoos

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Can someone tell me, even if it's a spoiler, why Tanjiro's big head scar switches between two different designs seemingly at random?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay thank you, as long as it's intentional, it was really bugging me!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love Inosuke to death and Zenitsu is Fine, but there was a bit there when they were on screen together that I was sincerely getting a headache from all the yelling

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thinking about when inosuke bent backwards so he could stick his head under his legs while grabbing his heels

what power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That statistic about One Piece was actually that Kimetsu was well on track to pass One Piece in volume sales this year because people buying Demon Slayer were buying ALL of the volumes available, but One Piece just announced another volume this year releasing on Christmas and even with six days left in the year, One Piece volumes do like two million sales in two days.

Nothing beats One Piece, man