Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

This show is a long series of people going "What the gently caress is wrong with you? You can't be such a good boy--demons will eat you!" and him continuing to be The Goodest Boy.

I like this synopsis.

This is just me being weird but I'm liking this show more and more as it's getting more stereotypical, like I've seen dozens of these repetitive training arcs before but never in something trying to look this lush and detailed. It's comfort food arranged with some extra grossness and nice backgrounds lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

The sudden two year timeskip really bugged me in the manga to where I stopped reading a little bit after and it still kinda does here. There's a lot of telling and montaging just to get Tanjiro strong enough to be a protagonist and the "I trained for a year, and then trained another year and my sister didn't do anything that entire time and my teacher I live with didn't talk to me anymore" feels a little sloppy to me. I feel like I'm kinda nitpicking but the leap from "I want to save my sister" to "I need to join the demon fighting military" also doesn't quite connect for me. This section just all kinda feels artificial, like the author didn't quite know how to get Tanjiro from Normal Boy to Anime Protagonist smoothly.

Still, the twist at the end is fitting for these kind of yokai stories and the episode looks great throughout. Gonna try to stick it out this time and trust the writing to improve. I also like Tanjiro's new long hair and mad it doesn't look like he keeps it

I think using the framing of Tanjiro writing letters to his sister just as an excuse for exposition is something of a mistake, like even a line or two about "I miss you, what the hell am I doing out here" would have gone a long way. I still like the show, tho.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That fight was rad as hell I have no idea what y'all are on about.

Spiritus Nox posted:

That one was good, although the one afterwards with the two of them just going "Hey do you think he can win?" "Man I dunno, he's pretty cool tho" could have been snipped pretty easily. It wasn't like disastrous or anything tho.

Did you miss that they're specifically talking about him slicing through the bolder, seconds before he slices through the demon's neck? I think without this scene that ending just feels like "oh he won with protagonist power" when no he won cause he was specifically being trained for this.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh, yeah, I hadn't thought of that. So they specifically figured "okay if he can cut this boulder then he can cut that demon's armor"?

Yea, and it all relates back to what Urokodaki says at the start of the episode , like that speech about not wanting to send him to the selection. It's not hugely deep or anything but I think the way this fight reveals more about Urokodaki despite the fact that he's only indirectly involved is cool.

I think if the show keeps on delivering fights like this I'm gonna be pretty happy. Like it was also pretty cool looking lol.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yea Urokodaki knows about the demon. It's why he's so hesitant to send Tanjirou to the selection, and why he seems to be training him specifically to take out this demon. If you're wondering why he doesn't kill it himself, well it's called "the selection" lol.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zenitsu reminds me a bit of Mineta from MHA, except no one on the cast tolerates his bullshit so he works. And yea, the meta joke of someone in these situations actually showing fear of death is relatable. Anime good.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/Ishi_Onkami/status/1146852224619802624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I can also tell if someone is a good person or not by sniffing them