Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Gotoge has some recurring problems both properly setting up elements and using elements she's previously set up. Off the top of my head it never quite reaches the point of "this came out of nowhere" or "wait, so what happened to X", but at least for the former there's always little things here and there that could've been done to better foreshadow future developments, such as in this case where we could've just had a single little scene during the training or recovery arcs of Tanjiro practicing the kagura to help focus, and someone commenting it resembles a Breath and then it'd all have been perfect.

This is speculation on my part, but rather than coming up with stuff on the spot as is common with genre authors, I think it's more of a pacing thing; she'd been laying out KnY as a typical long-haul shounen, but in the interest of keeping the narrative tight she ends up running it through the chopping block before publishing. It's a bit sloppy, but the end result is nevertheless quite enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

This anime continues to weirdly fumble its story beats, but it also continues to have cool fights, great character moments and godly animations that makes me not care about its faults.

Basically.

Nanigans posted:

Anything else by Ufotable I should check out? Preferably something on one of the major streaming platforms. I have Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Fate/Zero, Unlimited Blade Works, the Kara no Kyoukai films. The Fate Heaven's Feel film trilogy is also excellent - Part 1 BDs are out in the wild, Part 2 BDs release later this month, and Part 3 gets its international theatrical release ~June next year.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The entire family were abuse victims. A sort of microcosm of how demons in general are victims of Muzan (who when not just acting on a whim preys on the vulnerable, turning them into monsters and forcing them to join his cult).

But the point with the sister's taunting and the flashback was to show that even for a demon (who have to turn psychopathic as a survival strategy) she was unusually cruel and duplicitous - we get right into her head, so we see how all she ever cared about was herself, and that remaining part of the family and playing the house game was a decision driven by self-interest rather than fear of Rui. She gets angry for loving up, because she had been playing it perfectly up until that point. Unlike the mother and the other sister who were disgusted and terrified, she was consciously using him to her advantage.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 18, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's no secret: Tamayo wasn't making it up when she described Muzan as a petty and domineering paranoid for whom demons are tools to manipulate towards his ends (and whims).

I actually quite like how he hits all the sociopath marks and is therefore too impulsive to be a true scheming mastermind villain, and that the reason why despite all his power he doesn't confront the Demon Slayers personally is because he's a loving coward and won't risk running into someone capable of doing him in.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 25, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It looks different after he removes the bandage on the head injury he got during the selection exam.

And yeah, it's not addressed until much further than where the anime will end, but Tanjiro thinks it just changed shape from the way the wound closed on top of his old burn scar.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Going back to it, I still find it funny how exaggerated the personalities of several of the pillars are on their first appearance, as they're portrayed as far more level-headed individuals when they actually become important to the narrative.

Just one of those beats KnY fumbles from time to time.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Annointed posted:

It is Avatar worthy.

Sad boar boy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

paragon1 posted:

Yeah Tanjiro's sword and half his skeleton are broken (not that that seems to slow him down much).

I wonder if they're due a promotion because of the whole not getting slaughtered like the rest of the chumps thing?

I'm not sure how half the slayers that went on the mountain made it through selection.

Won't happen this season but Tanjiro's promotion scene is a thing of beauty.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they didn't do anything to zenitsu. it's just way more annoying to actually hear him yelling than it is to read it

That's basically it. I imagined him loud, not screeching.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

There Bias Two posted:

How many seasons worth of material would you estimate they have based on the current pace?

It's hard to judge on an a weekly action series, but if it helps any it seems they'll be fitting ~52 chapters in 26 episodes, and there's 173 chapters currently out.

Certainly enough material already for another 2 double cour seasons, plus whatever it'll take to fit in the last arc.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gnome7 posted:

It's very weird to me that inosuke skipped out on training. That seems very unlike him, he's been all about showing off his strength. I guess continuously losing destroyed his spirit.

If it doesn't turn out he's been skipping the training to go headbutt trees in the forest or something, I'll be very disappointed in him.

He's weak.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Dude, it's really bitter.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's also uncalled for to compare him to Mineta, a character entirely defined by being both completely useless and thoroughly repugnant in his behavior towards women.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

What is the general age for slayers anyway? All the Hashiras look young to me.

They're mostly pretty young.

Tanjiro 15
Inosuke 15
Zenitsu 16

Rock 27
Sound 23
Flame 20
Water 21
Wind 21
Love 19
Mist 14
Snake 21
Insect 18

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fabricated posted:

Probably the best part of the plot developments is Muzan literally just rolling up a mook division because they aren't getting results. Who else has ever done that?

Can't have new Hashiras if they can't defeat Lower Moons for the promotion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

a kitten posted:

I hope Inosuke gets to fight that train.

:allears:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It'll already have had its run when it's safe again to go to the theatre.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

LorneReams posted:

I might be misunderstanding what happened though.

What the deal is with the Fire God Dance is a mystery throughout a good chunk of the series - it's clearly a sort of Breathing Style implied to have been intended to be passed down Tanjiro's lineage, and lacking formal training the "Forms" might just be techniques Tanjiro comes up with (and names on the spot), but this intuitive grasp of a different and highly effective Style, seemingly derived just from early childhood memories of his father, is meant to be abnormal even in-universe.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

dudermcbrohan posted:

honestly, having zenitsu shut the gently caress up and do cool sword poo poo is better than his appearances in most of this manga/anime

:hmmyes:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

He has no presence in the manga until the moment he shows up on the train, either.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

He was there when all the pillars are introduced but does nothing, ergo no presence.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

KnY treats the Pillars as legitimate masters of their craft, each a product of exceptional unique talent honed by years of training and experience, so while in typical fighting shounen fashion our main protagonists get real strong real fast to amp up the stakes, the audience still gets to be entreated to solid showcases of the Pillars' strengths so they can properly serve as exemplars of the skill our protagonists eventually have to match (or at least approach) in order to have a fighting chance against the have-never-been-defeated Upper Moons, and ultimately Muzan.

All of them getting Worf'd would diminish that and be more than a little boring, so they get their wins, too :shobon:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m trepidatious about a season of Zenitsu acting weird towards girls in a red light district setting. Do they tone it down at all or does he ever mature and shed that really awful and kinda dated part of his personality?

He's in his best behavior when seriously looking for a wife.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I saw the movie, which episode should I pick back up on?

The beginning of the new season, which aired today.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If a woman is determined to dedicate her life to you, the least you can do is marry her.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

All the hashira eventually grew on me but there are some of them that absolutely would never accept Nezuko or contemplate apologizing for their initial hostility towards her and Tanjiro, and I don't even consider this part of why their initial appearance sucks (that rests entirely on how heavily one-dimensional-personality-quirk-upfront they're presented).

In their defense I'll add that besides their own personal tragedies, as far as the corps are aware good demons are literally impossible - they've all been created either by Muzan directly or under his auspices, and are supernaturally bound to him. While Ubuyashiki seems to be secretly acquainted with Tamayo and it might be the reason why he ordered Nezuko spared, for the rest she is a completely novel aberration.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Demon Slayers should give up fighting demons in secret and instead use their supernatural swording skills to violently overthrow the government and implement a cultural revolution more in line with 21st century western humanism.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They'd go through an apprenticeship period first before anything like that, but regardless, despite his cool demeanor I believe he's just not thinking clearly RN out of concern for his wives.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Inosuke has undergone incredible growth.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I hadn't heard those rumors, but what I did see from announcements was that the TPN author was on-board for rewriting S2 as an anime-original storyline, which rather than because of lack of a possible 3rd season I assumed they were doing because TPN just kinda falls apart after the fantastic Goldy Pond arc (which the anime skipped entirely lmao).

As for KnY, the manga holds up even with the author choosing to end it prematurely, and given its massive explosion in popularity I have little doubt it'll get adapted in full. Ufotable is certainly elevating the original work, so it'd be nice if the last arc was fleshed out a little more like how we got Rengoku's episode, but wholesale filler arcs seems a much more remote possibility.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yawgmoft posted:

How in the hell did something that is so internationally popular and a money printer like KnY get canceled?

KnY was wrapped up by the author for personal reasons.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hasn't been explained in the show but one can qualify by reaching the regular top rank in the hierarchy then either having a high enough kill count or defeating one of the twelve moons, or by being chosen by one of the current hashira as their pupil/designated successor.

Tanjiro & co. seem well on their way to meet the former requirements, but there is a clear gap in skill between them and the hashira shown so far, which implies either hard work & big number is just initial screening and there's more to it, or there's a disparity between the combat prowess of the hashira themselves, or the current hashira are all just that exceptional.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pretty much.

Tamayo only regained her senses after devouring her family and, while resentful, still remained under a measure of Muzan's influence for many years before finally breaking completely free.

Yushiro was created by Tamayo (as in, from her own blood) and thus seems to have inherited Tamayo's developed independence from Muzan. That, or his obsession with her may or may not be consequence of a bond akin to the power Muzan wields over his own creations. Either way, the same rules don't apply to him.

Nezuko on the other hand has been free of Muzan's influence from inception despite directly receiving his blood (iirc it's implied he wasn't even aware she'd successfully turned until other demons encountered her), and has never so much as tasted human blood. This means from the beginning she's been tuning her biology to resist his influence and the desire to devour humans, and has been doing so without eating people which is how normal demons are said to mature and grow in power. So, it seems the side-effect of pushing her self-evolution in that direction without nutrition has been a regression of her mental faculties to a child-like/feral state; she just can't spare the energy to fully develop when she's got to both fight off Muzan's power and also get stronger so she can protect her onii-chan.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 10, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Uzui's wives, with their huge breasts and wholly exposed hips, are sexualized designs.

Nezuko showing leg and cleavage is just contrast against her usual prim & child-like appearance - as mentioned above, it's incidental to the fact she's hulking out.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

LorneReams posted:

They sure picked a good animation studio (I know nothing about the industry so this may be an obvious thing). There is a lot of details I completely missed until I watched it a second time, like the demon ripping off her own leg to avoid the sword when I thought it was cut off .

Is this just how modern animation is now?

As far as studios known for their action animation, Ufotable, MAPPA, MADHOUSE, BONES and Cloverworks are outliers. Even then there's quite a bit of variation in the quality of their works, based on budget/talent/crunchtime assigned to it.

A-1 Pictures and Production I.G have also done great stuff, but its mixed with lots of mediocre productions with low or lopsided budgets.

Then there's Studio Bind that seems to have been funded by a saudi prince for the explicit purpose of fully adapting Mushoku Tensei with movie-quality production values.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's other really good looking anime out there, but honestly Ufotable are monsters who make insanely good looking anime that put pretty much any other studio to shame and I enjoy every frame I get.

Overall better animated shows in recent memory I'd go with Jujutsu Kaisen, Mushoku Tensei, and WONDER EGG PRIORITY.

I feel ufotable overuse 3D relative to how well it actually integrates with their 2D animation, but their work is definitely consistently high quality. Even God Eater, their weakest showing in the last 10 years, was pretty good visually if nothing else.

Seems now that they've sorted out the embezzlement situation they might be taking in new projects (KnY appears to be an extant contract from before that went down). They recently announced a Mahoyo adaptation, which I hope doesn't go the way of Girl's Work.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'll just say this arc the last time we see Zenitsu sleepfight.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's intolerable when he's screaming in fear and being extremely horny, which is sadly most of the time.

I've got good news for you.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My favorites are this and Upper Moon 1.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

SchrodingersCat posted:

So is the next arc starting next week or do we have to wait?

Wouldn't expect it till at least Fall season (October).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mordja posted:

Huh, I've heard people call the manga's ending a disappointment, but yeah that sounds pretty rushed.

Well you know how in a typical shounen the heroes would be confronting all of the BBEGs generals in sequence, sometimes having multiple bouts with them, until some final confrontation where only the BBEG and their most powerful general are left?

KnY first compacted that timetable by having Muzan himself off a third of his demon generals. Since there's 5 Upper Moons and 2 story arcs left, it's no secret to say it's going to get squished further.

It still all works out well, has an actual conclusion rather than abrupt cut, and some of the best fights are still ahead but it *is* rushed.