Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

redshirt posted:

OTOH, if I hated myself then attacking my evil twin makes perfect sense, right?

I got bad news about who the evil twin is probably

jokes posted:

Boomers' divorce rates increasing makes me think that Boomer men are, and always have been, intolerable

Also most of them got married and had kids because that was the thing you were expected to do, not because they actually wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I got bad news about who the evil twin is probably

Also most of them got married and had kids because that was the thing you were expected to do, not because they actually wanted to.

You can tell it to me doc (prepares to blow lab...._)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

jokes posted:

Boomers' divorce rates increasing makes me think that Boomer men are, and always have been, intolerable

I think that's more a product on the ones getting divorced being very likely to continue the cycle a second or third time.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, let's not let them off the hook like this. The vast majority genuinely did want to get married and have kids, just for often unrealistic and selfish reasons. Talking to terminally divorced boomers they never regretted getting married and having kids, it was the ex+children who failed them in their eyes. Someone going for a bangmaid and mini ego boosters isn't doing it under duress.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I read an article about how the sandwich generation is getting squeezed and part of that is Boomers keep getting divorced, so they're more likely to grow old alone. At least when my grandfather got ill, he had my grandmother to take care of him. Now that responsibility falls squarely on the next gen. And worst case scenario, they're taking care of a divorced mother AND father, all living in separate homes needing that much extra care.

All for not staying in unhappy/unhealthy relationships, but it's like Boomers just assumed they'd never get old.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For years, like my Sophomore through Senior years of high school, my parents would leave me alone at the house AND take all the other siblings and I had sooooo many parties. The cops got involved often enough and yet I never got in trouble. It was like the whole town conspired to keep these parties on the DL. It was great.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now that responsibility falls squarely on the next gen.

gently caress that. Just don't answer the phone. Let the state take care of pawpaw or meemaw.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dameius posted:

Ideally, after suffering the hardships that you had to go through, you'd make sure that the people coming behind you could reach the same place without suffering.

But that would also require you to have empathy for other people and that is anathema for a certain crowd.

my extremely-boomer mother worked her way up from secretary to managing director at various mortgage companies while raising two kids, and without any education. Its rightfully impressive on its own.

She has done everything in her power to sabotage my IT career because she feels that since i've been :airquote: into computers :airquote: my entire life, that it wasn't fair and I should have to struggle and suffer like she did

I can say with certainty that I've worked as many hours in my career now, at middle age, than she ever put into her entire career. The late nights/weekends I've put in 'didnt count', because I wasn't generating a product.

She's also a hardcore alcoholic and narcissist, which seems to be somewhat standard with Boomers

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
How does your mother have any power over your middle age rear end career?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

my extremely-boomer mother worked her way up from secretary to managing director at various mortgage companies while raising two kids, and without any education. Its rightfully impressive on its own.

She has done everything in her power to sabotage my IT career because she feels that since i've been :airquote: into computers :airquote: my entire life, that it wasn't fair and I should have to struggle and suffer like she did

I can say with certainty that I've worked as many hours in my career now, at middle age, than she ever put into her entire career. The late nights/weekends I've put in 'didnt count', because I wasn't generating a product.

She's also a hardcore alcoholic and narcissist, which seems to be somewhat standard with Boomers

Just gonna helicopter in and drop a diagnosis here, but you don't need to be that close to your Mother or have her approval at your advanced age. You can do your own thing and dispense with her opinion 100% if you wanted to. It's an option.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

LRADIKAL posted:

How does your mother have any power over your middle age rear end career?

redshirt posted:

Just gonna helicopter in and drop a diagnosis here, but you don't need to be that close to your Mother or have her approval at your advanced age. You can do your own thing and dispense with her opinion 100% if you wanted to. It's an option.
oh she doesn't, I haven't spoken to her in nearly five years. Not to cross-post w/ the Rejected Parents thread, but shes done poo poo like call my current place of employment so they :airquote: know :airquote: about me :dafuq:

A year ago I was fired from a lovely job w/o notice. Despite having her blocked on my phone/email/every last bit of social media imaginable for years, I checked my spam filter and she had sent me a gloating email seven days after the fact.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

Dude get into a suffering pissing contest with her and then belittle all her accomplishments and struggles as pathetic compared to your own and she'll never do it again.

I've been talked down to by a fair cross section of boomers and once you start probing into what makes them feel entitled to do it... They usually actually had a pretty easy time and a pile of problems of their own making. They hate being talked down to by a younger person the way your grandpa did.

quote:

managing director at various mortgage companies while raising two kids, and without any education. Its rightfully impressive on its own.

This is not impressive because today it would be impossible and considered a massive liability. Today she could have become an executive assistant and gotten told to get some credentials to go further.

Who told her to pop out two kids with no education?

My dad was CEO and it is not impressive because all he had to do was get his masters degree while my mom held it down and then he was able to enter the job market as a VP. Absolutely impossible on a number of points today.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AcidCat posted:

gently caress that. Just don't answer the phone. Let the state take care of pawpaw or meemaw.

They will absolutely waste billions sending the cops to menace and arrest people who try this. Then they'll just steal all your poo poo.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Vampire Panties posted:

oh she doesn't, I haven't spoken to her in nearly five years. Not to cross-post w/ the Rejected Parents thread, but shes done poo poo like call my current place of employment so they :airquote: know :airquote: about me :dafuq:

A year ago I was fired from a lovely job w/o notice. Despite having her blocked on my phone/email/every last bit of social media imaginable for years, I checked my spam filter and she had sent me a gloating email seven days after the fact.

wtf goon, she got you fired?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jesus Christ

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

Holy gently caress dude I missed this. That might be lawsuit time. And then belittle her accomplishments.

When I was like 18 I found out my boss called my house looking for me and had a long conversation with my mom like it was some sort of PTA meeting. Naturally the boss pumped her for information and didn't mention a thing to me. I think she enjoyed the time talking about her son with an authority figure like I was back in school.

Later she also harassed my ship over the Red Cross emergency system to tell them I don't talk to her enough and I got pulled in front of the CO to talk about being a lousy son.

She also was instructed never to mention that she had me on stimulants or in therapy as a kid if a government background investigator called. She flat out refused, denying me endless easy government IT gigs. So thanks for wasting most of my 4 years of lovely times in the military mom.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 13, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Apparently my father has been under surveillance by federal law enforcement for decades. I found this out accidentally when I was chatting up a retired federal agent. She told me that I would not have enjoyed the career path that I have had if I had continued to associate with my father.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

Apparently my father has been under surveillance by federal law enforcement for decades. I found this out accidentally when I was chatting up a retired federal agent. She told me that I would not have enjoyed the career path that I have had if I had continued to associate with my father.

Was he cool forbidden or uncool?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

You could have always fallen back on pounding the pavement, looking mfers in the eye, firm handshake, and not taking no for an answer. It worked for countless boomers and not a single person in our soft pampered generation has had the grit to pull it off.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Biplane posted:

They will absolutely waste billions sending the cops to menace and arrest people who try this. Then they'll just steal all your poo poo.

drat, TIL that 30 states have actual laws requiring you to care for your elderly parents if you are financially able. That kinda blows my mind.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

redshirt posted:

Was he cool forbidden or uncool?

extremely uncool. some people would probably find him charming for a little while until the mask falls off.

Child Welfare and Social Services people would not be fooled by my father for even a split second.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Internet Old One posted:

You could have always fallen back on pounding the pavement, looking mfers in the eye, firm handshake, and not taking no for an answer. It worked for countless boomers and not a single person in our soft pampered generation has had the grit to pull it off.

lol, being Gen X is so strange because we've lived through so many huge cultural shifts over the last fifty or so years.

e:while my father has been under surveillance by the government, I've actually worked for the government. that alone tells me that I was able to get the gently caress away from my father and his bullshit as far as possible. I'll take the win.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 13, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Internet Old One posted:

Holy gently caress dude I missed this. That might be lawsuit time. And then belittle her accomplishments.

When I was like 18 I found out my boss called my house looking for me and had a long conversation with my mom like it was some sort of PTA meeting. Naturally the boss pumped her for information and didn't mention a thing to me. I think she enjoyed the time talking about her son with an authority figure like I was back in school.

Later she also harassed my ship over the Red Cross emergency system to tell them I don't talk to her enough and I got pulled in front of the CO to talk about being a lousy son.

She also was instructed never to mention that she had me on stimulants or in therapy as a kid if a government background investigator called. She flat out refused, denying me endless easy government IT gigs. So thanks for wasting most of my 4 years of lovely times in the military mom.

:hmmyes: My mother hasn't talked to every employer, but she loving loves doing the PTA thing. Honestly I don't know if she got me fired - I was fired without warning and without reason, and she obviously knew - but even if she did, how do I prove anything? Ofc my previous work isn't going to admit that they spoke with my crazy rear end mother. Do I subpoena every form of communication possible over the time I was employed? :shrug:She is insane she once convinced me to take out a student loan which she cosigned for, only to steal the money right from under me when rent was due. I never saw that money again, and she had the audacity to complain about me paying it off because it was on her credit report. The one time I worked with a therapist, she tracked down the therapist and started as her "client", mostly to make me seem insane. It was a complete and utter mindfuck - i'd been working with the therapist for months, I started making progress, then like a light switch the therapist got really cold and started asking about being diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder as a kid... .:neither of my parents ever took me to a shrink because they were terrified I'd talk and they'd get arrested for child abuse. I never would have put it together until I had a meltdown at work and somehow ended up back living with the bitch when I was 33. I threw out the antidepressants I was on because I was wildly overmedicated and she got so mad that she threatened to call my therapist by her full name (which I'd never, ever given her). Then bitch-mom called the cops and told them I was suicidal. That one bit her in the rear end - One of the cops who showed up was the son of her landlord, and she was so embarrassed that she ended up moving a few months later.

Also :same: w/r/t clearances. Somehow I managed to get my Secret clearance, probably because its not much more than a glorified credit check, but I can never go for TS because they'll talk to my parents and they will lie, lie, lie.

to steer this conversation from RejectedParents back to GenX - Reddit weirdly has been super helpful in working through a lot of this poo poo. :stare: There are some crazy loving boomers out there making GBS threads all over their kids.

EDIT

w/r/t Filial responsibility laws - its my no-joke goal to move out of this hosed up country entirely just to make sure that I am never responsible for either of my parents in any capacity whatsoever

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 13, 2024

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Two weeks after I proposed to my fiancé, I get a voice message from my ex-wife. The message was curt but there was a kind of upset tone I'd never heard from her. I called her and she said:

"I got an email from someone named <fiancé's father>. He asked me why our marriage didn't work out."

My jaw literally dropped. I apologized profusely to her but...

I. Was. loving. Livid.

Even if things between my ex-wife turned out horribly instead of amicably (as possible), I would never in my darkest moments wish the stranger Boomer parent call up to grill her about our relationship.

When I confronted him, he non-chalantly said, "You've only been dating my daughter for a short time, I didn't know you from Adam, so yes I thought that was the best way to figure out your intentions."

When I asked if he thought maybe talking to me directly would maybe be the better first move, he gave the phone equivalent of a shrug.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

Also :same: w/r/t clearances. Somehow I managed to get my Secret clearance, probably because its not much more than a glorified credit check, but I can never go for TS because they'll talk to my parents and they will lie, lie, lie.

to steer this conversation from RejectedParents back to GenX - Reddit weirdly has been super helpful in working through a lot of this poo poo. :stare: There are some crazy loving boomers out there making GBS threads all over their kids.

When I got my security clearance I was humbled and excited because, to me, it meant that I was no longer associated with my father. That's a very big deal.

It's a very hard thing not to be able to trust a parent and it leaves deep, deep scars.

I don't want to derail any further either and I'm honestly very glad for those of you whose parent or parents support you and help you. To be completely honest, I'm very jealous that I didn't get the same thing, but I'm glad for you all the same.

To get back on track, does being Gen X means that we are the last people to use a computer to actually create poo poo instead of consuming it?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 13, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Cheesus posted:

When I confronted him, he non-chalantly said, "You've only been dating my daughter for a short time, I didn't know you from Adam, so yes I thought that was the best way to figure out your intentions."

When I asked if he thought maybe talking to me directly would maybe be the better first move, he gave the phone equivalent of a shrug.

holy poo poo

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

i'd been working with the therapist for months, I started making progress, then like a light switch the therapist got really cold and started asking about being diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder as a kid... .:neither of my parents ever took me to a shrink because they were terrified I'd talk and they'd get arrested for child abuse.

Lmao ODD is almost always the result of lovely parenting. I was in a lot of therapy as a kid but there was an unspoken understanding that certain misguided do-gooder types who don't live in the real world might misconstrue a little bit of almost-never-physical violence as a big deal. That included shrinks. But a depressing majority of boomer adults were not in this club.

I once got my rear end beat because the shrink could tell I wasn't forthcoming when doing a test (wasting money) where I was supposed to describe what's going on in a picture with a woman splayed out on the ground asleep in her raincoat. I told him she was tired and took a nap and he ended the test.

I was worried that if I told him it looked like she was violently knocked out the shrink might have the ability to tell that my dad beat me. Then we'd get reported and me and my siblings would go into foster care. Having emotional problems exposed me to a lot of kids in the foster system and I knew what could happen to us there.

Rest in piss dad.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I read an article about how the sandwich generation is getting squeezed and part of that is Boomers keep getting divorced, so they're more likely to grow old alone. At least when my grandfather got ill, he had my grandmother to take care of him. Now that responsibility falls squarely on the next gen. And worst case scenario, they're taking care of a divorced mother AND father, all living in separate homes needing that much extra care.

All for not staying in unhappy/unhealthy relationships, but it's like Boomers just assumed they'd never get old.

We bullied the inlaws into staying divorced but moving in together so at least no one else had to put up with them, and they are the happiest they have been in years.

To get back on track, does being Gen X means that we are the last people to use a computer to actually create poo poo instead of consuming it?

Millenials did too except we use the scroll wheel instead of clicking and dragging the scroll bar.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The current tech literacy discourse is fully centered on zoomers and alphas and as you allude to has nothing to do with them intrinsically, but rather what happened/is happening around them.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Millenials did too except we use the scroll wheel instead of clicking and dragging the scroll bar.

lol, you were spared from regularly having to clean the rollers and the heavy metal ball inside a mechanical mouse.

I know it sounds very silly but I was very happy when optical mice were invented. The scroll wheel was a wonderful thing and a huge timesaver.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 13, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

no you're just the last generation to think dilbert is cool

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

no you're just the last generation to think dilbert is cool

I’m pretty sure your keyboard is broken because you probably meant to type Calvin and Hobbes, one of my absolute favorites

E: Perhaps you meant Asterix the Gaul, which is also cool.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 13, 2024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lol, you were spared from regularly having to clean the rollers and the heavy metal ball inside a mechanical mouse.

I know it sounds very silly but I was very happy when optical mice were invented. The scroll wheel was a wonderful thing and a huge timesaver.

Millennials also fondled mouse balls.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

As a millenial I refuse to use wifi or wireless mouse/kb

Didn't use an optical mouse until it was literally impossible to buy mouse balls anymore

Wires are so loving good

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

COPE 27 posted:

As a millenial I refuse to use wifi or wireless mouse/kb

Didn't use an optical mouse until it was literally impossible to buy mouse balls anymore

Wires are so loving good

Why?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

From a security point of view it’s a lot harder to electronically eavesdrop on someone typing confidential info on a wired keyboard.

From a performance viewpoint, wired mice have pretty much zero latency compared to wireless. Once you’ve used both, you can easily tell the difference.

E:if we start talking about home networking, my twenty year old wiring that I personally installed in my home has a sustained throughput of about 2 gigabits per second which kicks the poo poo out of any current available wireless solution.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 13, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Loose lips sink ships.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

From a security point of view it’s a lot harder to electronically eavesdrop on someone typing confidential info on a wired keyboard.

From a performance viewpoint, wired mice have pretty much zero latency compared to wireless. Once you’ve used both, you can easily tell the difference.

E:if we start talking about home networking, my twenty year old wiring that I personally installed in my home has a sustained throughput of about 2 gigabits per second which kicks the poo poo out of any current available wireless solution.

The network also won't drop when you use the microwave, although this is a lot less of a problem these days

I use wired kb+M because I hate dealing with charging poo poo

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

There's wifi faster than 2gbps so now it's time to upgrade to 10gbps otherwise you can't be cool! I've had several keyboards that support AES128 which is good enough for me.

I have definitely used both wireless and wired mice and keyboards including hardware interrupt ps/2 and AT devices, serial mice, etc.

I can't really tell the difference but maybe you can and at the very least they bring you joy.

Why no optical mice? Would a Sun optical be acceptable?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Deploys a local fuzzbuniator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

The network also won't drop when you use the microwave, although this is a lot less of a problem these days

I use wired kb+M because I hate dealing with charging poo poo

I hear you. My current wireless setup needs to be charged about twice a year and the mouse works fine as a wired mouse when it's charging. They die so infrequently that I'm usually confused why it suddenly doesn't work. Things are better than they used to be I had a period like 10 years ago where I probably went through 5 candidate devices before getting one that didn't suck.