Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's plenty of legit low latency wireless mice. Your brain has calcified and you are not adopting new things any longer. Sorry grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Maybe you boomers can wait 16 milliseconds to click the post button but some of us are still capable of noticing the passage of time

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'll just have to try a few wireless mice and learn something new. lol, I'm old but not dead.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was pretty old brained about streaming to a VR headset from a PC across the house, but it ended up working fine

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

hawowanlawow posted:

I was pretty old brained about streaming to a VR headset from a PC across the house, but it ended up working fine

Yep. No loving possible ever way that could not suck right? Definitely need this 50 foot usb cable!

Works pretty good actually and now I'm doing it with more and more stuff like my arcade cabinet and my wiiU... all just different form factor wireless controllers for playing my basement PC. Hear good things about using shields and steam decks too.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Internet Old One posted:

Hear good things about using steam decks too.

I bought a Steam Deck just to play Fallout New Vegas on the can.

It really is a very cool piece of tech.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I settled on wireless mice for when I'm traveling and I keep the wired/wireless one plugged in at all times at my desk at home. I haven't had the wire get in the way or cause unwanted motion so that's part of why I don't mess with it. I have enough other poo poo that needs charged routinely that it's nice to just not gently caress with. Did all the cabling in my house when I moved in 8+ years ago, have upgraded the wireless router twice and am happy enough with that for what runs on it that isn't hardwired. The big lol is I haven't upgraded to gigabit internet, but honestly I've never saturated the line so gently caress it may as well save money. Doesn't stop the internet people from trying to get me to upgrade every year, but they really don't push that hard on me about it anymore so eh.

I know tech isn't stagnant, but there's just so few upgrades that I could do currently that would be an appreciable gain for the cost except for a new PC build, and I'm waiting on that too because I have other things that need worked on first and I'm dreading having to set up all my software again.

gently caress, I'm getting old, time to die. :bahgawd:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

PathAsc posted:

. The big lol is I haven't upgraded to gigabit internet,

High speed internet is a hilarious ripoff. Yesiree that affordable plan there is good enough for like 5 emails a day any more than that and you're gonna need fiber or you're gonna get the clogs and slowdowns and hackers are gonna bash your megaboops.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Internet Old One posted:

High speed internet is a hilarious ripoff. Yesiree that affordable plan there is good enough for like 5 emails a day any more than that and you're gonna need fiber or you're gonna get the clogs and slowdowns and hackers are gonna bash your megaboops.

On one hand, i've had some crazy cheap fiber connections that downloaded :filez: in seconds

Otoh, I've worked off poo poo-rear end hotel wifi for months at a time, where :filez: took hours or even days, and it was fine.

EDIT

in the theme of the thread, I think its because I had dial-up into my 20s, and then lovely DSL over ISDN, and then lovely DSL until I was 30 or so. Internet speed doesnt equate to latency

DOUBLE EDIT

I was late to the party on Half-Life 2, and ended up downloading it on a 12kb/s satellite connection while I was in an Eskimo village. I genuinely think it made me appreciate the game more

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 14, 2024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

ISPs absolutely will lie about how much bandwidth you need but lol this is some internet boomer brain.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Dameius posted:

ISPs absolutely will lie about how much bandwidth you need but lol this is some internet boomer brain.

I am an internet old one!

Don't worry about me because I have an absurdly great deal and could probably channel bond to saturate the 10gbps portions of my home network if I felt like doing nerd poo poo. But if I wasn't getting a deal I would absolutely be on the 1st or 2nd cheapest plan available to me.

My old plan wasn't even advertised and you had to specifically ask for it and the ISP repeatedly argued with me that it would be so slow I might forget to breathe and die or something. It worked just fine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Jesus christ, well I'm glad my parents, while far from perfect were most definitely not giant piles of poo poo like some of yours.
My mom was pretty much ride or die for all her kids and my dad, while he might have some old fashioned opinions on some stuff, is usually receptive to the fact that (thing) might not be "true" anymore and can accept some change, even if he does just kinda not do much all day these days but read the paper and watch tv.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
my dad carries dog treats in his pocket everywhere he goes just in case he meets a dog and goes down on a knee when he's talking to little kids. we got into a few fistfights when I was a teenager though, but that was mostly my fault.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

Jesus christ, well I'm glad my parents, while far from perfect were most definitely not giant piles of poo poo like some of yours.
My mom was pretty much ride or die for all her kids and my dad, while he might have some old fashioned opinions on some stuff, is usually receptive to the fact that (thing) might not be "true" anymore and can accept some change, even if he does just kinda not do much all day these days but read the paper and watch tv.

After that cop-suicide incident, I finally got it through my dumb skull that my mother was toxic AF. I was driving for Uber to make ends meet, barely, and I got a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity across the country. I'm thankful my mother was so awful because I dont think I would have taken it otherwise, but I clearly remember that she wouldn't give or loan me a single penny to make the move. I got a nail in the sidewall of a tire the day before I left and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "hope it holds". I ended up selling everything I owned to make the move. I had a great aunt who vaguely lived in the same place I was moving, and I had to beg my mother to call her to open up a channel of communication so I could store my stuff while I figured out an apartment. When I went to my great aunts house she treated me like a criminal. I mentioned something in passing to my mother (because I was still dumb enough to talk to her on the phone) and she said "Oh I share everything with Great Aunt"
story doesnt end there - I was living in a very crappy extended-stay hotel while I started this new job in a new city, also I was driving for Uber at night to make ends meet. A local apartment came up that was very nice and within my price range, and my mother said 'Oh your cousins wife runs the property management company there'. I emailed her about the apartment and my cousins wife, who I had literally never met in person or spoke to, called me up and said "so do you have your poo poo together?" She didnt rent me the place.
story doesnt even end there - after I got settled into one of those lovely expensive apartments that will take anyone, my mother called me to bitch that she'd loaned my aunt (my dad's sister, not hers) 500 dollars and it hadn't been paid back, and was heavily insinuating that I should loan her some cash. I hung up. I wish I could say that was the end of my relationship with her... but it wasn't :stare:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

I got a nail in the sidewall of a tire the day before I left and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "hope it holds". I

Dude that blows. I can say a lot of things about my mom and while I won't take money from her or live with her no matter what but she would at least offer me that help and show some concern.

Hope you're staying away cause that poo poo's pretty hosed. No mother should be deliberately intentionally malicious to their child. Just saying so because I have a hard time telling what's normal myself but I can tell you that's hosed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My boomer dad is extremely boomer but he’s also weirdly conscientious about us. He could give a gently caress about my mom and lost all of their (her) money so they’re basically broke and he loves trulps, republicans, and any get rich quick scheme you could imagine. But he’s largely a good dad, which shouldn’t be difficult.

jokes fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 14, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Internet Old One posted:

Dude that blows. I can say a lot of things about my mom and while I won't take money from her or live with her no matter what but she would at least offer me that help and show some concern.

Hope you're staying away cause that poo poo's pretty hosed. No mother should be deliberately intentionally malicious to their child. Just saying so because I have a hard time telling what's normal myself but I can tell you that's hosed.

Thank you, sincerely. I hate turning this thread into Rejected Parents, but as you (and other posters itt) can probably tell, I'm carrying around a lot of poo poo and sometimes it just falls out. As I'd mentioned previously, I haven't been in contact with her for nearly five years, and during that time its been daily realizations on all the different ways she treated me like poo poo for her own personal benefit and enjoyment.

Thats not the worst part though - the worst part is that I internalized all of it, so I surrounded myself with :airquote: friends :airquote: who treated me the same way. I'm 44 years old, and I've been very fortunate to have done/seen stuff I never imagined I would do, but my life has been one unending shitshow after another. Nothing can ever make that poo poo right, or bring that time back, ya know?

Otoh, I survived all of that, and I'm more aware than I've ever been, and I'm weirdly hopeful that the second half of my life will be significantly better :unsmith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hawowanlawow posted:

I feel like there's a particular kind of aversion to poo poo that's been pushed on you for literal years that you nor anyone you know about has any actual use case for and has always been done terribly anyway, to the point where it's kinda understandable to be skeptical when it happens to find an actual use case. Been a lot of poo poo like that with technology over the last decade ish.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like there's a particular kind of aversion to poo poo that's been pushed on you for literal years that you nor anyone you know about has any actual use case for and has always been done terribly anyway, to the point where it's kinda understandable to be skeptical when it happens to find an actual use case. Been a lot of poo poo like that with technology over the last decade ish.

The Apple Vision Pro looks pretty neat, but I think I'll wait until it's like a quarter the price and not nearly so Apple-centric. Shouldn't be all that long, I think.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Number_6 posted:

A lady boomer relative in my family was talking about how when she was young and starting out in a male-dominated workplace (this would have been in the '70s), she was routinely pawed and harassed and "just learned how to deal with it." She lamented that current and future generations of women were missing out on this character-building opportunity.

My mom was a molecular biologist for all the 70s and when she went from Rockefeller University to the Max Planck, in the early 80s, her salary was literally x=male_molecular_biologist_salary*2/3.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

My mom was a molecular biologist for all the 70s and when she went from Rockefeller University to the Max Planck, in the early 80s, her salary was literally x=male_molecular_biologist_salary*2/3.

I really dig her research for real for real...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
waiting for the one dude who uses a teletype to check into the thread

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Vampire Panties posted:

On one hand, i've had some crazy cheap fiber connections that downloaded :filez: in seconds

Otoh, I've worked off poo poo-rear end hotel wifi for months at a time, where :filez: took hours or even days, and it was fine.

EDIT

in the theme of the thread, I think its because I had dial-up into my 20s, and then lovely DSL over ISDN, and then lovely DSL until I was 30 or so. Internet speed doesnt equate to latency

DOUBLE EDIT

I was late to the party on Half-Life 2, and ended up downloading it on a 12kb/s satellite connection while I was in an Eskimo village. I genuinely think it made me appreciate the game more

Goddamn exactly. The two providers I have access to have similar very low latency, I don't have jitter issues, and the 400meg plan I'm on is good enough for everything except if I started to :filez: my rear end off like the olden days. That's not to say I didn't used to have immense issues years ago when a node went fucky from water damage and didn't get fixed for two weeks because lol there was no other provider here and they got to it when they got to it/I called to complain enough. Then when the other provider started dropping fiber in 3ish years ago SUDDENLY it was all important to fix longstanding issues and refresh hardware. Got a cool service upgrade and discount as well for saying I'd move over to the new service if they couldn't compete. I'm still overpaying by a few dollars imo but it's better than it could be.

I don't miss being a computer and network toucher anymore either after a few of the people I know here worked for them and told me their horror stories. gently caress that poo poo, they get paid fuckall and work absolute awful shifts, which isn't exactly helped by the fact that I live in bumfuck with the majority of businesses being full of never-retiring boomers still. I'm still surprised we even have fiber access, there's a lot of places here where you can only get DSL or satellite because the point-to-point you could get needs a mast so tall you need to pay immense up front costs for the height necessary. Don't ask where the broadband money the state got to lay cable went, they handwaved that poo poo away by saying satellite was sufficient and available. The money straight up disappeared lol.

Capitalism works, you see.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

My dad was nutjob psycho from combos of prednisone for asthma and cocaine when I was about 7 and living in Davie Florida in 1980ish, he had a meltdown and shot his 357 pistol randomly through the walls when I was next door at my best friends house, my major memory after was that a round had penetrated through my bedroom and went straight through my new millenium falcon toy. My mom later told me that when the cops showed up they asked what she had done to upset him, and made her go back in to try to talk him down. He later got sane and still lives in Phoenix, I talk to him every couple years or so.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AcidCat posted:

My dad was nutjob psycho from combos of prednisone for asthma and cocaine when I was about 7 and living in Davie Florida in 1980ish, he had a meltdown and shot his 357 pistol randomly through the walls when I was next door at my best friends house, my major memory after was that a round had penetrated through my bedroom and went straight through my new millenium falcon toy. My mom later told me that when the cops showed up they asked what she had done to upset him, and made her go back in to try to talk him down. He later got sane and still lives in Phoenix, I talk to him every couple years or so.

What's your takeaway?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

my mom took away my PlayStation when I was a kid and I was really freaking mad

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

What's your takeaway?

Dont have one other than I had a really weird childhood. Shortly after that my mom spirited us away, along with her mom, to Roswell NM, where I lived a few more weird years before moving on.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Dont have one other than I had a really weird childhood. Shortly after that my mom spirited us away, along with her mom, to Roswell NM, where I lived a few more weird years before moving on.

How are you doing now?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

How are you doing now?

Well thats a complicated question but this is all long ago poo poo Ive long since processed, thankfully my mom was able to settle back in San Diego where I was born and I had a stable middle school through high school experience, made lifelong friends, lived a normal life. My divorce 8 years ago after 20 years of marriage was far, far more traumatic than any of the crazy poo poo that happened as a kid.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Well thats a complicated question but this is all long ago poo poo Ive long since processed, thankfully my mom was able to settle back in San Diego where I was born and I had a stable middle school through high school experience, made lifelong friends, lived a normal life. My divorce 8 years ago after 20 years of marriage was far, far more traumatic than any of the crazy poo poo that happened as a kid.

So you're single?

*Adjusts noose

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

So you're single?

*Adjusts noose

LOL happily so. My adult kids live with me. We have a good time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AcidCat posted:

LOL happily so. My adult kids live with me. We have a good time.

Some kind of compound or something? Do you have a basketball hoop?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

Some kind of compound or something? Do you have a basketball hoop?

I guess we are both bored and humoring each other. No sportshoop but we all have consoles/PCs and game.

Here's some random memories to entertain a bored red shirt, young Gen Xer so they fit the thread right?:

Florida - lived by a turnpike that had a waterway beside it on the other side of a fence, would randomly see gators on the other side. There was a small lake just down the street we would frolick by the shore, though I clearly remember seeing gators in there? Clearly my parents had other things on their mind. We had a giant great dane that got into the ferret cage in the backyard once and tore one of them to shreds. There was a house down the road everybody called "the pervert's house" and we avoided. A weird kid we called "tippy toe Mikey" lived nearby and I played with him just because he had cool Battlestar Galactica toys. Collected Wacky Packages trading cards. Had a big size Alien toy from the movie I wish I had held on to.

Roswell - this was well before X-Files really boosted the whole alien thing and it was just this weird desert town in the middle of nowhere. Tarantulas got in our house at times, I remember defending a tarantula's burrow once from one of those big tarantula hawk wasps. Ordered the Star Wars Emperor figure I think through a special offer from a cereal box? Friend down the street taught me to play Stratego. At grandma's house we had the good poo poo like ruffles and french onion dip, Mr. T cereal, fried bologna sandwiches. My mom was poor as gently caress but Grandma had HBO and I remember that pre-movie HBO intro flying through the model city. She made us cover our eyes when the sex scene came on during the Conan movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AcidCat posted:

I guess we are both bored and humoring each other. No sportshoop but we all have consoles/PCs and game.

Here's some random memories to entertain a bored red shirt, young Gen Xer so they fit the thread right?:

Florida - lived by a turnpike that had a waterway beside it on the other side of a fence, would randomly see gators on the other side. There was a small lake just down the street we would frolick by the shore, though I clearly remember seeing gators in there? Clearly my parents had other things on their mind. We had a giant great dane that got into the ferret cage in the backyard once and tore one of them to shreds. There was a house down the road everybody called "the pervert's house" and we avoided. A weird kid we called "tippy toe Mikey" lived nearby and I played with him just because he had cool Battlestar Galactica toys. Collected Wacky Packages trading cards. Had a big size Alien toy from the movie I wish I had held on to.

Roswell - this was well before X-Files really boosted the whole alien thing and it was just this weird desert town in the middle of nowhere. Tarantulas got in our house at times, I remember defending a tarantula's burrow once from one of those big tarantula hawk wasps. Ordered the Star Wars Emperor figure I think through a special offer from a cereal box? Friend down the street taught me to play Stratego. At grandma's house we had the good poo poo like ruffles and french onion dip, Mr. T cereal, fried bologna sandwiches. My mom was poor as gently caress but Grandma had HBO and I remember that pre-movie HBO intro flying through the model city. She made us cover our eyes when the sex scene came on during the Conan movie.

This is a wonderful story, thank you. I remember the HBO town.

I traveled for jazz band and stayed at this religious lady's house, except she had HBO so when it was lights out at 9 we watched movies all night. There was a Cheech and Chong movie after midnight.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

This is a wonderful story, thank you. I remember the HBO town.

I traveled for jazz band and stayed at this religious lady's house, except she had HBO so when it was lights out at 9 we watched movies all night. There was a Cheech and Chong movie after midnight.

I remember this one weird movie in particular called Super Fuzz that for a time was on HBO all the time. The theme song still pops up in my brain from time to time.

Then all the random poo poo grandma would watch like her soaps, Emergency! Perry Mason, etc.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
I feel like I hit the parent lottery even if I did drink powdered milk and ate government cheese. Sorry goons. My boomer mom and boomer in laws all have become more progressive overtime. Mostly just shedding their catholicism more and more.

I grew up in a part of the city that was extremely religious and conservative and it didn’t hit me later. My wife says I grew up in the 50s as an elder millennial because I can swap old timey stories with my mother in law like we grew up together or the town over.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my parents are former metalhead stoners, probably the best kind of boomer parents you could get

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We used to all sit on the floor in front of the TV with pencils as joysticks as we pretend flew through HBO town before every movie.

Remember Hardware Wars? They showed that a lot.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

AcidCat posted:

I remember this one weird movie in particular called Super Fuzz that for a time was on HBO all the time. The theme song still pops up in my brain from time to time.

Then all the random poo poo grandma would watch like her soaps, Emergency! Perry Mason, etc.

Holy poo poo Super Fuzz, drat that was a bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
so whats causing this? I thought things would improve, but gently caress, how can cigarette use be going up?

https://www.bcbs.com/the-health-of-...ing%20diabetes.

next pages snipe belongs in a frame

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carlos Lantana fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 24, 2024