Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

eSporks posted:

How do I befriend teenagers in away that isn't creepy? I just want some people who can keep me in check and up with all the new things so I don't become a boomer. Does this make me a boomer? Am I looking for my 'culture guy'? What is the thing on tik tok where the kids put their fingers on the inside of their elbow? What is tik tok? These are all the questions I'd ask my teenager friend if I had one.

This is the most legit disturbing post I've seen on SA in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now that responsibility falls squarely on the next gen.

gently caress that. Just don't answer the phone. Let the state take care of pawpaw or meemaw.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Biplane posted:

They will absolutely waste billions sending the cops to menace and arrest people who try this. Then they'll just steal all your poo poo.

drat, TIL that 30 states have actual laws requiring you to care for your elderly parents if you are financially able. That kinda blows my mind.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Jesus christ, well I'm glad my parents, while far from perfect were most definitely not giant piles of poo poo like some of yours.

My dad was nutjob psycho from combos of prednisone for asthma and cocaine when I was about 7 and living in Davie Florida in 1980ish, he had a meltdown and shot his 357 pistol randomly through the walls when I was next door at my best friends house, my major memory after was that a round had penetrated through my bedroom and went straight through my new millenium falcon toy. My mom later told me that when the cops showed up they asked what she had done to upset him, and made her go back in to try to talk him down. He later got sane and still lives in Phoenix, I talk to him every couple years or so.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

What's your takeaway?

Dont have one other than I had a really weird childhood. Shortly after that my mom spirited us away, along with her mom, to Roswell NM, where I lived a few more weird years before moving on.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

How are you doing now?

Well thats a complicated question but this is all long ago poo poo Ive long since processed, thankfully my mom was able to settle back in San Diego where I was born and I had a stable middle school through high school experience, made lifelong friends, lived a normal life. My divorce 8 years ago after 20 years of marriage was far, far more traumatic than any of the crazy poo poo that happened as a kid.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

So you're single?

*Adjusts noose

LOL happily so. My adult kids live with me. We have a good time.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

Some kind of compound or something? Do you have a basketball hoop?

I guess we are both bored and humoring each other. No sportshoop but we all have consoles/PCs and game.

Here's some random memories to entertain a bored red shirt, young Gen Xer so they fit the thread right?:

Florida - lived by a turnpike that had a waterway beside it on the other side of a fence, would randomly see gators on the other side. There was a small lake just down the street we would frolick by the shore, though I clearly remember seeing gators in there? Clearly my parents had other things on their mind. We had a giant great dane that got into the ferret cage in the backyard once and tore one of them to shreds. There was a house down the road everybody called "the pervert's house" and we avoided. A weird kid we called "tippy toe Mikey" lived nearby and I played with him just because he had cool Battlestar Galactica toys. Collected Wacky Packages trading cards. Had a big size Alien toy from the movie I wish I had held on to.

Roswell - this was well before X-Files really boosted the whole alien thing and it was just this weird desert town in the middle of nowhere. Tarantulas got in our house at times, I remember defending a tarantula's burrow once from one of those big tarantula hawk wasps. Ordered the Star Wars Emperor figure I think through a special offer from a cereal box? Friend down the street taught me to play Stratego. At grandma's house we had the good poo poo like ruffles and french onion dip, Mr. T cereal, fried bologna sandwiches. My mom was poor as gently caress but Grandma had HBO and I remember that pre-movie HBO intro flying through the model city. She made us cover our eyes when the sex scene came on during the Conan movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

This is a wonderful story, thank you. I remember the HBO town.

I traveled for jazz band and stayed at this religious lady's house, except she had HBO so when it was lights out at 9 we watched movies all night. There was a Cheech and Chong movie after midnight.

I remember this one weird movie in particular called Super Fuzz that for a time was on HBO all the time. The theme song still pops up in my brain from time to time.

Then all the random poo poo grandma would watch like her soaps, Emergency! Perry Mason, etc.