Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/AvrD1Ni.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pigasus posted:

When you saw the nunchucks, how excited were you to see some domestic terrorists get smacked with them??

https://i.imgur.com/Mx0IXho.mp4

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

It's so weird that this show still has shots of Ah Sahm and Young Jun standing shoulder to shoulder like that, when we know that one of them is actively planning on destroying the other one.

Though, yes, still badass.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't wait for the series finale next week.

Is that just British for season finale, or will this be the end of the whole thing?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Warrior's fate is up in the air. Cinemax is ending its entire original dramas line (and will likely be absorbed entirely) so there's no real hope there. However, hbo max has already spoke about how they're excited to air Warrior on the service and if we're really lucky we could see Warrior renewed under that banner.

Similar to how Netflix bought up and producing new seasons of Cobra Kai. The difference, though, is that Cobra Kai is relatively cheap to make. Warrior has to cost a small fortune to film, unfortunately

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A good poster posted:

Is that just British for season finale, or will this be the end of the whole thing?

I meant series finale :(

Like Narcissus said, Cinemax isn't doing anymore original programming so unless someone else picks it up, the show is done. I read an interview with Andrew Koji talking about s2 and he certainly seemed interested in continuing the play the character and hopes the show can keep going.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes for Cinemax to stop making shows. I know that HBO wanted to consolidate everything under the HBO Max banner, but I would have assumed they would let Cinemax keep renewing and or greenlighting shows since all the ones they did were good. The Knick, Strike Back, Banshee, Jett, Warrior. I heard that Quarry was kinda mediocre but that is still a great track record.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Quarry's really good.

They also did Gangs Of London. That's an Insanely good streak.

Outcast was a bit crap tho.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That was an incredible spectacle. Again I'm a little sad that every named character came out unscathed and it wrapped up so quickly. But hopefully we see more fallout from this - and aside from the action, it did give us the great scene with Ah Toy and Mai Ling, and reunite the Juns. Plus very good use of the badass nod to show the two Tongs didn't need to exchange any words - they were in that fight together.

They put out a "behind the episode" video but it was just talking heads, there was no real BTS on the action. I'm especially curious how you do stuntwork with nunchuks. (Andrew Koji did reveal he only had six months practice and deffo hit himself)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That was a good penultimate episode and I'm excited for next week's finale. The season has been kind of dancing around a bit and I wish it was a bit more focused on getting to this specific point. I feel like the Leary fight has to have some kind of fix because we already saw him and Ah Sahm throw down and Leary hasn't been spending this whole season training like Ah Sahm has. It also felt like maybe Leary was kind of seeing the futility of what was happening and was going to be the one to turn things around on Buckley.

The Jun reunion felt a bit rushed but the whole pacing of the season was off so oh well.

I'm going to have a hearty laugh if Penny's arc actually ends with her just getting stabbed by Buckley.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

That was a good penultimate episode and I'm excited for next week's finale. The season has been kind of dancing around a bit and I wish it was a bit more focused on getting to this specific point. I feel like the Leary fight has to have some kind of fix because we already saw him and Ah Sahm throw down and Leary hasn't been spending this whole season training like Ah Sahm has. It also felt like maybe Leary was kind of seeing the futility of what was happening and was going to be the one to turn things around on Buckley.

The Ah Sahm v Leery fight should be a hilariously one sided beatdown, but it probably won't be due to story reasons. But it should be! :argh:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Ah Sahm v Leery fight should be a hilariously one sided beatdown, but it probably won't be due to story reasons. But it should be! :argh:

Hopefully the fight choreography shows off the strengths of each fighter. Maybe have Leary get in a good shoot/ground and pound/grapple before ah sahm destroys him standing up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Penny and Lee really got sidelined this season. I wish they had more to do. But holy gently caress did Penny really get screwed. She just spent the whole season trying to succeed on her own but failing or getting poo poo on by everyone else. And then she runs into Buckley who is on another level and gets her committed to a mental institution.

Young Jun also getting warp speed character development this episode. Learning patience and wisdom when dealing with Ah Sahm's reveal and even sort of forgiving him, even though he's clearly hurt and a lot of trust has been broken.

Leery v Ah Sahm was very brutal and did not disappoint.

Mai Ling's blackmail photograph felt like a weak reveal, but that's definitely based on current events. Maybe back then people really did hate the Confederates and it would have been a fatal blow to his political aspirations outside of the south. Or maybe not idk.

This felt like a season finale and not a series finale. Still a ton of unresolved plotlines and then implying that Zhing could escape for the final scene. I really hope HBO Max or someone else picks up the show.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Awesome season finale, and in true Deadwood period western spirit may well be a really frustrating series finale ( until we got the Deadwood movie of course). Feel for the cast and crew, I would assume at one point they discussed how to wrap the thing up after not getting a third season from Cinemax, probably an impossible task with how many spinning plates the show had.

If this really is it for the show i'm actually glad it went out all guns blazing with the hope of being able to continue the story with HBO or something, likely would have been a very rushed and poor season otherwise. The Chinatown brawl was outstanding and the Ah Sahm V Leery fight kicked all sorts of rear end. Sad to see the show go, best theme song around and probably the best fight choreography on TV.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just a reminder to everyone to watch Banshee if you haven't already. Though I can't imagine you're watching this without having already seen that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Good stuff. The "Ah Sahm is a hero" thing was a bit heavy handed but I liked everything else. I think they could have given Leary a few scenes where he beats up some Chinese guys in his ring to learn how to fight their style but it still worked. God drat was the actor that played Leary jacked. He was like the Irish Brock Lesnar with those loving traps.

The Penny storyline got a good chuckle out of me because it went down like it should have.

Happy that Ah Toy got to keep her relationship.

Father Jun leaving was kind of a shame since they just started really making his character interesting in the last couple episodes as well.

If this is where it ends I can accept it but I'd love at least one more season.

Open Source Idiom posted:

They also did Gangs Of London. That's an Insanely good streak.

Thanks for the recommendation on this one. Slipped under the radar and it's gotten better after a rough first half an episode. On episode 4 now and I like how they're doing backstories with the various other gangs. Seems obvious given the title but they're doing more than I expected and really fleshing out the politics.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Mai Ling's blackmail photograph felt like a weak reveal, but that's definitely based on current events. Maybe back then people really did hate the Confederates and it would have been a fatal blow to his political aspirations outside of the south. Or maybe not idk.

The show takes place relatively soon after the civil war, right? I can imagine that being a confederate soldier would be political death in a pro union norcal, especially if he hid it.

I feel like its kind of odd how the show never really mentions any of the historical anti irish sentiment back then. I understand why its that way thematically, but it just never really comes up, aside from the fact that they work really lovely jobs like the minorities do.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 5, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HBO Max showed off their January lineup and Warrior Seasons 1 & 2 are in it.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just a reminder to everyone to watch Banshee if you haven't already. Though I can't imagine you're watching this without having already seen that.

I just watched both seasons this week and haven't seen Banshee, though I'm thinking it probably just pushed its way to the top of my list after wrapping up the last episode.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've watched this show over the past few weeks. Really glad people mentioned it here because I really enjoyed it! Even if there's no 3rd season, it introduced me to a bunch of great actors. Love the guys that play Ah Sahm and Young Jun, and goddamn is Hong great, he could carry his own spinoff.

I never realized I'd like martial arts stuff so much. I never got into like 70s kung fu movies or more recent ones, but maybe it's time to start!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just finished the first season and it was pretty loving great the only part that feels weak is Mai Ling's motivation for starting the war besides some white guy telling her to. Ah Sam vs Long Yi in episode 9 was also weak IMO. Ah Sam should have just got his rear end beat and not the magic Undertaker come back from Long Yi.

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Seems like it got renewed for a third season:

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1382393220139782148

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Damienz posted:

Holy poo poo, that's great.

Also, goddamn are all those people replying about #snyderverse weird.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Damienz posted:

Holy gently caress that's good news. But I wonder who the showrunner will be now since Jonathan Tropper took that same job for See on Apple+.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Holy poo poo that's awesome, I'm so glad it panned out this way

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just finished the first season. This show is pretty cool.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Found this show by coincidence last month and it is indeed awesome. It really sucks that a lot of shows can go basically unnoticed for years just by virtue of being released on the wrong US service (and thus almost no one knowing they even exist).

When someone in couch chat thread said this was from the creators of Banshee I was like, yeah that checks. :swoon:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MiddleOne posted:

It really sucks that a lot of shows can go basically unnoticed for years just by virtue of being released on the wrong US service (and thus almost no one knowing they even exist).

RIP Quarry :smith:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

RIP Quarry :smith:

I'm amazed that we got as many seasons of Strike Back as we did.

That Jett wasn't picked up anywhere is disappointing as poo poo though. Quarry was solid too.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holy gently caress that's good news. But I wonder who the showrunner will be now since Jonathan Tropper took that same job for See on Apple+.

I assume Tropper will somehow pull double duty. No idea how that will work, but it is not entirely unheard of.

Still batshit crazy this is coming back. Would've bet my lifesavings (like $600 bucks, to be fair) that this wasn't coming back

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Started watching this on a whim on a whim last week, after some guy in Reddit made a random comment saying everyone should give it a go. Holy hell, what a drat good show. I am interested in every character, they find a way to make the racist characters sympathetic without abolishing them, the grounded historical setting has some disturbing parallels with our time, the action scenes are awesome, and the balance act between crime drama and martial art spectacle is wonderful. Really hoping that HBO Max lets this show find the audience it deserves.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Goddamn that’s a downgrade. I mean I know Apple probably pays more money, but See is absolute dogshit

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doublehex posted:

Started watching this on a whim on a whim last week, after some guy in Reddit made a random comment saying everyone should give it a go. Holy hell, what a drat good show. I am interested in every character, they find a way to make the racist characters sympathetic without abolishing them, the grounded historical setting has some disturbing parallels with our time, the action scenes are awesome, and the balance act between crime drama and martial art spectacle is wonderful. Really hoping that HBO Max lets this show find the audience it deserves.

This.

I kind of half-assedly watched season 1 without paying much attention, then went to season 2 few months later and I don't know what clicked but I had to watch season 1 again few episodes in because it was so good. Ended up thinking it was that good from the start.

Also holy poo poo the fight scenes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The only part about the fight scenes is that they 100% spoil you for other action shows.

I'm rewatching something like Strike Back, another Cinemax actioner, and its nowhere near on warrior's level (and Strike back is better than 90% of TV's other action heavy shows).

The only other competition is Tropper's own Banshee, and Into the Badlands (which leans more Wuxia, if thats your jam)

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Gangs of London has a few episodes and additional action scenes directed by Gareth Evans (The Raid movies) which are on the same level, if not better with the above shows. The problem is there aren’t that many and outside of them it’s not as fun as Warrior or Banshee.

Not really a spoiler, but a few second transition from episode 5 https://reddit.com/r/PraiseTheCameraMan/comments/kihe6l/this_transition_on_gangs_of_london/

I would recommend the first 5 episodes to any Banshee/Warrior/Strike back fan just for the action. I don’t think there was much action for the remainder of the season and I hope they improve this in the second season.

And to not be completely off topic, Warrior is great and I can’t wait for season 3!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgq6xQSyko

June 29th

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, I thought it was definitely dead. Awesome!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oh gently caress yes dude! Best part of this show was bisping dying. Sike all of it's good that just made it better

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Wooooooo!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

June 29th can't come fast enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S3 looks loving insane and I can't wait.