Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

This is how you lose the Tong War. Also, Leary, that's NOT what I meant by seize the means of production. Satisfying enough ending, if it gets another season great, if not I'm happy with the Li Yong strut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ah Sahm is a badass action guy and Andrew Koji is great, but the actual characteristion has always been abysmal. From episode one I have struggled to figure out what this guy actually wants and why we should root for him.

So flip flopping from "I love my criminal brothers" to "gently caress everyone, I love my girlfriend and will abandon this life of crime" to "I love my criminal sister" is disappointing, unsatisfying and completely predictable.

It felt climactic and had a bunch of cool stuff, but like the entire series feels like missed potential.

At least Bill got to laugh.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It definitely felt like a weird time to just play the "Ah Sahm can't let his sister die" card but in theory I like the double turn of him and Li Yong; with both getting fed up with their respective bosses, switching sides so that they can have a final showdown with out pitting family against one another. I think while the moment itself was weak, the build to it was a bit better as we had some moments where Ah Sahm got to reconnect with Mai Ling a bit. Personally, I would have had him going to the train and have a goodbye with Yan Mi telling her that he has to go save his sister in that moment, rather than have him just straight up turn on the whole Tong right away. He could have had some scene where then he's doing the "protective fighting" deal where he doesn't want to hurt either one, and just wants to stop people from killing Mai Ling with outright trying to kill them either. Instead they just flipped a switch and it's like "well, time to kill a bunch of guys I just called brother literally a second ago". It was just too jarring and rushed.

Leary making some shrewd moves this episode which is great to see.

Hong's end was really out of the blue and I had to google the character that killed him.

I was glad they didn't just end the Nellie/Ah Toy relationship back in the midpoint of the season, those endings always feel too clean for my taste.

I'm sad that Buckley is getting played because I was kind of hoping for him to just hook up with a white Mai Ling and then have her find out about Mai Ling and have some fun bonding moments between the two as Buckley plays an uncomfortable third wheel. This episode also made it seem like Archer is a grifter which definitely is odd since she came across as a woman who knew the local political scene and was fairly connected; not something a traveling con duo would be knowledgable or connected enough to. Again, a rushed plot line.

There's definitely too many hanging threads for the series to wrap up, so they better have known there was another season planned.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Andrew Koji's acting has improved a ton since the first season but yeah... his arc didn't quite work for me.

I wish it was made clearer that how Li Yong left - did he purposefully pull most of their fighters away from Mei Ling to make her vulnerable? Or did he peace out and the remaining dudes found him and were like "hey man, we're followers. sign us up"?

There's no way Chao is dead. If they don't die on camera, they're still alive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

It definitely felt like a weird time to just play the "Ah Sahm can't let his sister die" card but in theory I like the double turn of him and Li Yong; with both getting fed up with their respective bosses, switching sides so that they can have a final showdown with out pitting family against one another. I think while the moment itself was weak, the build to it was a bit better as we had some moments where Ah Sahm got to reconnect with Mai Ling a bit. Personally, I would have had him going to the train and have a goodbye with Yan Mi telling her that he has to go save his sister in that moment, rather than have him just straight up turn on the whole Tong right away. He could have had some scene where then he's doing the "protective fighting" deal where he doesn't want to hurt either one, and just wants to stop people from killing Mai Ling with outright trying to kill them either. Instead they just flipped a switch and it's like "well, time to kill a bunch of guys I just called brother literally a second ago". It was just too jarring and rushed.

There's definitely too many hanging threads for the series to wrap up, so they better have known there was another season planned.

I was kinda hoping that Ah Sahm would get to Long Zi hideout half dead, and then get shot by Mai Ling because she assumed he was also there to kill her. Just go for it! But I guess the showrunners have plans for future seasons:

quote:

Warrior has not officially been renewed or canceled by Max. But season 3 showrunners Evan Endicott and Josh Stoddard told Polygon they have “many ideas” for where the story might go next, and hope the show is renewed so that they can pursue those storylines.

PaybackJack posted:

I'm sad that Buckley is getting played because I was kind of hoping for him to just hook up with a white Mai Ling and then have her find out about Mai Ling and have some fun bonding moments between the two as Buckley plays an uncomfortable third wheel. This episode also made it seem like Archer is a grifter which definitely is odd since she came across as a woman who knew the local political scene and was fairly connected; not something a traveling con duo would be knowledgable or connected enough to. Again, a rushed plot line.

Yea this also didn't make much sense to me once I thought about it.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I wish it was made clearer that how Li Yong left - did he purposefully pull most of their fighters away from Mei Ling to make her vulnerable? Or did he peace out and the remaining dudes found him and were like "hey man, we're followers. sign us up"?

I got the impression it was this. Young Jun said that a bunch of them were defecting / leaving the tong.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was kinda hoping that Ah Sahm would get to Long Zi hideout half dead, and then get shot by Mai Ling because she assumed he was also there to kill her. Just go for it! But I guess the showrunners have plans for future seasons:

You know when he got stabbed in the fight with Young Jun and Hong there was a brief moment where I thought "Wow, does Tropper have the balls to straight up kill off his lead like this?" It wouldn't have made much sense overall, but if this was the last episode then I figured that you might as well go all out with some crazy surprises and having him die there, for them to get to Mai Ling and be run off by a returning Li Yong(who then kills Mai Ling himself), would have been a good conclusion for the major arc of the show.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
No, Chao! I hope he's not dead because he's my favorite character.
Also, Ah Sahm, what are you doing?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
There’s gonna be another big public match between Ah Sahm and Li Yong but with the roles reversed isn’t there?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I think the idea with Ah Sahm is that all season long, we've been primed to focus on the love story with Yan Mi, and to assume that that's what will come between him and the Tong. But alongside that, we've seen scenes of him and Mai Ling warming to each other again. So the "twist" is just a reminder that actually, this isn't that kind of story--it was always about family for Ah Sahm. It's an intentional misdirect but one that I think has an emotional/thematic purpose.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Something about Yan Mi and Ah Sahm just didn't click for me and their romance felt way too forced and predictable for me to care much

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So, who was that dude at the train station.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

So, who was that dude at the train station.
Zing, the Fung Hai leader from season 1-2 who was last seen noticing the bars of his prison cell were loose.

https://warrior.fandom.com/wiki/Zing

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1736794013796077587

Expected really, but still a shame. The show deserved better.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I'm not surprised but I'm still disappointed this won't get a proper ending.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
https://www.vulture.com/2023/12/warrior-canceled-max-netflix.html

Netflix signed a contract to stream seasons 1- 3 starting in February with the option of a season 4 if they choose.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I guess that duck lady is never getting out of the mental institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
is it out on Netflix yet? it's not in my country but if it is in yours then why aren't you watching it right now