Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Having heard of this show early on and liking the premise, I finally managed to catch up. I was a BIG fan of Banshee, and loved the Easter eggs like the Banshee store or pub or whatever it was, almost expected Sugar to come hobbling out. I know Cinemax hasn't been known in the past for great original series (or any at all outside of Strike Back and Banshee), but I'd say they are coming into their own if only with crazy action shows like this. What I dig about the show the most is the martial arts that at least seems realistically-choreographed instead of wire-fu. I also like how it portrays a taste of how the Chinese were actually treated when they immigrated here during that time. And, I love the Western feel, it reminded me a bit of Shanghai Noon, albeit a bit more serious.

It's pretty cool how Ah Sahm is not a Mary Sue--he's flawed, and while I was initially kind of shocked that he lost the duel with Li Yong, it worked well with the story and in the end I was kind of glad they didn't have him winning against all odds (I had a small problem with that kind of thing in Banshee with Hood almost always winning despite getting his rear end kicked constantly, or getting saved at the last second with the exception of his fight with Proctor). I'm really looking forward to seeing how they will continue to flesh him out as a character moving forward, how they will handle the relationship with Mai Ling, and if there will be a rematch between him and Li Yong. But I enjoyed the dynamic between O'Hara and Lee the most, it's almost like a meet-cute in the pilot that turns into a kind of friendship. Can't wait for old Western San Francisco buddy cop antics from them next season with Lee being Good Cop and O'Hara being the Loose Cannon. Langley Kirkwood is always awesome, good use here as a Burton-type character who "fights" behind the scenes, and Leary is a great union boss/gangster-type character with whom I'm looking forward to seeing Ah Sahm throw down next year.

I mean, I can be critical of this season for sure, I'm not trying to be all over its dick or anything, but overall I thought it was really well-done and I'm a sucker for good, realistic choreography and over-the-top fight scenes. I'd rather find a bunch of things to like than find poo poo to be critical of. The downside is, it makes me miss Banshee all the more, even though I'm glad it was a show that knew when it was time to wrap poo poo up even if they messed up the execution in the final season. Warrior for sure feels like a worthy spiritual successor to Banshee, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My sister in law says that the main actor (who I guess is actually Japanese) speaks Chinese really poorly and caused her to stop watching the show in anger lol

He’s speaking English most of the show, drat she needa give it a chance

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

If you go and check the cast, a whole bunch of the chinese people aren't chinese.

True, but poo poo at least they are Asian.

I know Joe Taslim is Indonesian, from The Raid. So yeah it’s a fair point.