Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bruce Lee wanted to make this show in the early 70's.
Now we have Banshee creator Johnathon Tropper and Justin Lin giving us a western Kung Fu show. Anyone that has watched Banshee knows what you are in for.

Set in San Francisco's China Town in the 1870's (Deadwood ish era). The various Chinese Tong's are fighting for survival against the local police, Irish gangs and each other. By bringing in tens of thousands of Chinese workers to fill the demand for cheap labour rebuilding the USA after the Civil War.

Andrew Koji/Ah Sahm: Fresh off the boat and on a quest to find someone, he speaks English and ends up working for one of the local Tong's. He's got mad skills.

Hoon Lee/Wang Chao: Fixer with hands in many pies.

Olivia Chang/Ah Toy: Local Madam to the Tongs, she's got all the prime booty.

Dean Jagger/ Dylan Leary: Irish Gangster, your man is a bad motherfucker.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Dt-5Pv61Q

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the best line from ep 2
"Where you from, Officer"
"Savannah Georgia, Sir"
"Ah... you're not Irish"
"You make that sound like a character flaw"
"It's no loving attribute"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chas McGill posted:

He's great at outlining their motivations without condoning them. He also good at building up their badassery before the inevitable showdown with the protagonist. I'm looking forward to that duel given they'll have totally different fighting styles.

I'd like a little more character development for Ah-Sam, though, especially if they intend to set him up as some sort of revolutionary hero.

I'm looking forward to seeing NotBurton gently caress someone up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 5 was loving outstanding.

The after credits walkthrough was pretty cool too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I sorta felt the opposite; a lot of why I loved Banshee was because it was willing to just go full-on ridiculous. It was just spinning so many plates at any given time that it's kind of hard not to marvel at.

The fourth season felt like a downgrade in ridiculousness and that's a lot of why I hated it.

To be fair they kinda got shafted on the 4th season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orv posted:

:same:

It's why I put up with the intense garbage that is Into The Badlands.

How dare you. Pour one out for that show, it gave us some great characters.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orv posted:

Unfortunately even Martin Csokas can't carry a show all by himself. :colbert:

Hey come on, putting Nick Frost in as Sammo Hung was a stroke of genius.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, just look at the posters the show produced. They're all comic book covers.

Banshee arguably the best adaptation of a comic book that doesn't exist, give or take Utopia.

Banshee did have a comic book, technically.

https://www.comixology.com/Banshee-Origins/digital-comic/35597

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hurray the tong wars are finally kicking off!

I was half expecting Bill to consider suicide there in the final scene. I wonder if this is his rock bottom or if he can fall farther.

He's an Irish drunken gambler, i'm sure there are a few rungs left on his ladder.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now he gets to be a proper onion and start fighting for the little guy

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

life is killing me posted:

He’s speaking English most of the show, drat she needa give it a chance

If you go and check the cast, a whole bunch of the chinese people aren't chinese.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

life is killing me posted:

True, but poo poo at least they are Asian.

I know Joe Taslim is Indonesian, from The Raid. So yeah it’s a fair point.

The girl who plays mai Ling is Vietnamese and the hot sword chick with the bangs is japanese/german, the main man from the Face Tattoo gang in Vietnamese too

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 18, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Narcissus1916 posted:

Does anyone know if the stunt coordinator team that did Banshee is also the same as this? I know Tropper brought on some of the Banshee folks, but I'd love to know where their whole team went.

Brett Chan was the stunt coordinator, he did Marco Polo, Iron Fist and he's doing Snow Piercer. No fight choreographer listed so i assume it was him.
Marcus Young from Banshee went to Marvel for Ant Man and Infinity War as a stuntman

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jett deserves it's own carefully articulated thread.

It's been stellar since the first minute