Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Taslim is from Chinese descent, at least. Also the Netflix action flick starring him is incredible if you need more action goodness.

Does anyone know if the stunt coordinator team that did Banshee is also the same as this? I know Tropper brought on some of the Banshee folks, but I'd love to know where their whole team went.

Banshee set a standard for action that very few shows have even come close to approaching, with none coming to mind right now.

I just started Warrior and liked the first episode, so far I'm optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is a very oddly paced season, to say the least. We're almost halfway through and I think we've had two real showstopping action scenes (the warehouse fight and the attack on Bill's family). I've no real idea where they're going with at least half of their storylines, and Li Yong silently disapproving of Mai Lin but doing nothing is repetitive as hell.

Sophie's well cast, I like her chemistry with Leary, and I 100% believe she'd be this astonishingly stupid.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Warrior's fate is up in the air. Cinemax is ending its entire original dramas line (and will likely be absorbed entirely) so there's no real hope there. However, hbo max has already spoke about how they're excited to air Warrior on the service and if we're really lucky we could see Warrior renewed under that banner.

Similar to how Netflix bought up and producing new seasons of Cobra Kai. The difference, though, is that Cobra Kai is relatively cheap to make. Warrior has to cost a small fortune to film, unfortunately

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holy gently caress that's good news. But I wonder who the showrunner will be now since Jonathan Tropper took that same job for See on Apple+.

I assume Tropper will somehow pull double duty. No idea how that will work, but it is not entirely unheard of.

Still batshit crazy this is coming back. Would've bet my lifesavings (like $600 bucks, to be fair) that this wasn't coming back

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The only part about the fight scenes is that they 100% spoil you for other action shows.

I'm rewatching something like Strike Back, another Cinemax actioner, and its nowhere near on warrior's level (and Strike back is better than 90% of TV's other action heavy shows).

The only other competition is Tropper's own Banshee, and Into the Badlands (which leans more Wuxia, if thats your jam)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

First three episodes are up! Still can't believe its real.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly I feel like the dullness of Penny's storylines now lands on Buckley. Just.. not digging it yet.

Surprisingly I'm really enjoying the "Mai Ling hangs with white ladies" materials. Dianne Doan's never been my favorite member of the ensemble but she's so, so good here.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The stunt coordinator for Banshee is different but it shares more than a few stylistic similarities with Warrior - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94jYxr9l1As

Warrior's coordinator is Brett Chan, the same dude who had to work on Iron Fist. Amazing what happens when you give these guys actual time, money, and respect to create loving rad fight scenes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Still getting caught up on this, but dear lord the wedding episode lived up to its reputation. Although astonishingly poor planning to try and take out their best fighter (except for Li Yong) with a piano wire strangulation. Kong Pak just being a decent dude and not a turncoat was a great way to play with expectations.

Also good lord, that fight scene with Big Bill! His thorny relationship with Leary remains a favorite. Much as I miss Lee and Bill bouncing off of each other every episode I'm happy they both have gotten to grow.

No idea what the status quo will be after the finale, though. They've set up a scenario where both tongs could have new leaders but not sure if the show wants (or should) commit to that.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There was a throwaway shot a few episodes ago with him practicing sabre strikes too.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

WELL THEN. Stayed up to watch this episode, gotta get up in a few hours. No regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Andrew Koji's acting has improved a ton since the first season but yeah... his arc didn't quite work for me.

I wish it was made clearer that how Li Yong left - did he purposefully pull most of their fighters away from Mei Ling to make her vulnerable? Or did he peace out and the remaining dudes found him and were like "hey man, we're followers. sign us up"?

There's no way Chao is dead. If they don't die on camera, they're still alive.