Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

A good poster posted:

I realize that it would throw everything off to have Strickland get killed in the fight with Lai, but I don't really buy that he could've won that fight. What's next, is he going to kick Leary's rear end next week?

One thing the show has been good about is the cross-cultural nature of kung fu. Chinese/Eastern martial arts aren't portrayed as "superior" necessarily to Western fighting styles, the Chinese characters are just generally more practiced in them. Strickland was a cavalry officer who has lots of actual battlefield experience using a saber, he's by no means a dandy using a decorative blade. Lai has had only a year or so of training, it's not impossible he'd be a better sword fighter than her. Especially since he's physically much larger, and as the Leary/Ah Sam fights showed, physical strength isn't ignored as an advantage (though not an overwhelming one) in fights.

He probably would beat Leary in a swordfight, if not a boxing match.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Actually it makes sense he'd be good at dueling with a Saber as the weapon was used as a dueling blade in the latter 19th century. I think the last 20 years of MMA have done a lot of disprove the "myth" of Kung Fu. It's a shame there hasn't been something as instructional in teaching people how swords work.

Yeah, I assumed that in addition to his experience in the war he'd also have had formal instruction in dueling with a saber in a military academy/private lessons.