Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Does anyone actually have an explanation for the slang “onion”? Google isn’t very helpful

also second ep decent

Could just be something they made up:

quote:

But the Tongs in Warrior aren’t speaking in completely modern English. Their dialogue is loaded with slang that the producers and writers invented, because words and meanings do get lost in translation.

“When it comes to Cantonese, there’s certain words that don’t have a perfect translation,” says Lin. “We decided to have fun and create our own slang.”

As a result, the Tongs in Warrior have a vocabulary of slang that isn’t accurate to how real-life Tongs actually spoke. The biggest example is how the Tongs call whites, in derogatory fashion, “ducks,” and white neighborhoods “ponds.”

“That was a very conscious choice,” says Lin, who grew up speaking English in his Taiwanese immigrant household. “The roots of it came from translations, and we took that as a starting point and went with it.”

e: I like the opening credits. It's very stylish.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This was definitely the best episode of the season. The throat rip was completely unexpected and insanely :black101:

I was totally expecting one or both of the innkeepers to die so I'm glad they didn't. I was also expecting Ah Sahm to keep his english secret for longer, but now revealing his secret only strengthened his best bros bond with Young Jun.

I wondered where they were shooting this series and it turns out it's in Cape Town, South Africa. Also :siren: it's been renewed for season 2 already :siren: :woop:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 5, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hurray the tong wars are finally kicking off!

I was half expecting Bill to consider suicide there in the final scene. I wonder if this is his rock bottom or if he can fall farther.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That fight between Ah Sahm and Bolo was great. :rip: Also drat Mai Ling, you are scary.

"Yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell." :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am so glad they actually filmed the scrap between the gangs. The next week is going to be so good.

"I guess you lost her vote Senator." "If she had one." :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 1, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poor Young Jun. He's the complete opposite of his dad who is ice cold. He really should have stayed in green valley because he's too sentimental and caring for this.

Chekov's Chao's derringer returns! :rip: that guy who had valid complaints about Mai Ling and her thirst for power.

Buckley is fantastic. He's working so many factions / angles and he's clearly sick of the Mayor's poo poo. I can't wait to see his endgame.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

In the beginning of the episode I almost wondered if we'd see a Game of Thrones esque twist with Asam getting killed, but they haven't quite built up the world enough that I think the show could stand to lose the main character. The speech from the Lady of the Whore House about how Asam lost because he wasn't fighting for a cause was an interesting line that I felt like could have worked to justify his death had he actually died. His story of coming over to find his sister, do the right thing and save her, only to get swept up in her gang war and killed, could have been a very good foundation on which to continue the story of "San Francisco". I guess it's too soon to hope for the next Thrones or The Wire but from what I've seen in this show, I kind of trust that Troper could pull it off.

You know, now I am a little bit disappointed he didn't die. It could have worked too. It would have also finalized to the viewer that his sister really is gone and Mai Ling is who she is now, especially with her ordering his death.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Don't you loving move." "poo poo."

All the plots advanced a ton tonight. Ahaha watching Mai Ling's terrible partnership with the Fung Hai backfire spectacularly was fantastic. I bet she thought she would finally have some respect being the boss, but Buckley and the Fung Hai are still making GBS threads on her. She should get some women in power tips from Ah Toy or even Penelope.

I am all in for Ah Sahm, Chinese gangster and part time revolutionary.

PaybackJack posted:

Young Jun asks him to come back early on in the episode because YJ thinks his old man is weak and that the old ways of doing things need to be changed.

Right, but I'm pretty sure Father Jun is still in charge so Young Jun can't make that sort of call on his own. I'm just assuming he doesn't know right now and I trust the show will address it in season 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I hope you're all watching Jett because if Banshee split into two shows with the Roadhouse part of it becoming Warrior then the heist part of it became Jett.

I am and it's good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cosmin posted:

Man JETT keeps blowing me away with every episode, amazing neo-noir going absolutely insane 6-7 episodes in... anyone knows if it gets renewed? Sorry for the derail but I’m just trying to get people to watch it, it’s crazy good

No word yet, but I hope it does get renewed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone watch the second season opener? I feel like I'm a bit more interested in the plot after watching it, as opposed to season one where I was basically just waiting for cool fights to happen

I didn't even realize the show was back until this post. So thanks friend :tipshat:

The opener was good. This is the second and final season, so I'm curious if they will go the Rome season 2 route where they crammed in like 3 seasons worth of plot into one. iirc the annoucement was that this would last season was given at the same time as their renewal, so they probably had time to write a satisfying conclusion.

I wonder what building Leary blew up at the end.

I can't help but feel something horrible is going to happen to Sophie. I did love her sassing the poo poo out of the mayor Samuel though.

e: Here's the s2 trailer if anyone cares.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_wSj_1fWtY

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 6, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Storing the opium at Penny's factory was a brilliant move. Cops aren't going to search there. At least until Penny eventually finds out and burns all of it.

Still not sure what the point of Sophie's character is.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Qmass posted:

leary basically killed her dad and she doesn't seem stupid or meek. Why do you think she isn't there to gently caress up leary's world ?

Possibly. But then she definitely got overconfident and hosed up by letting Leary know who she was.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hooch Hong is crazy.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Good ep. That ending was intense. Guessing that was the Chao plan?

Seems like it. A clever plan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Ah Sahm's speech to Leary. :capitalism:

Somehow I don't think that Sophie aiming to get revenge on Leary for her father's death. Penny was right, she is a spoiled brat.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Good ep. That ending was intense. Guessing that was the Chao plan?

Nvm it seems like Chao's plan was to tell Bill that Zing is the swordsman and lay a trap for him.

Based on the preview it seems like Chao wanted Ah Toy to get his baby momma and his daughter to the Sonoma farm or whatever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/bO9MM5U.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hong continues to be great.

Great job Chao. All you had to do was take the money and leave. Instead you earned yourself an asswhooping.

Based on the preview, next week looks fantastic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Don't bring knives to a gunfight.

Lee on the lever action was pretty great. Anyone actually see what zing stabbed li yong with? Were they little daggers or darts or something

https://i.imgur.com/kBlUkR1.mp4

Looked like porcelain shards or whatever was on the shelf that got smashed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hobo Wolverine was my favorite fighter. The remix of the main theme during the tournament montage was :discourse:

Looks like the plot will be moving full speed ahead next episode.

Babe Magnet posted:

another good rear end Hong episode, everything else was cool too I guess.

:agreed: I hope Hong is wearing those boots for the reason of the season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if Vega getting her revenge by using people close to her and then dying will be foreshadowing for Ah Sahm :ohdear:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Father Jun is gone. All hail Young Jun!

That final scene was intense. I guess Samuel will never be the head of a major corporation governor now :v:

e: I was just catching up on all the BTS episode stuff and while I knew that Ah Toy was based on a real person, I had no idea that Nellie was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xx7O0sS0w

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 14, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The opening scene was hilarious.

Sophie: can't stop inadvertently making GBS threads on the Chinese

Ah Toy :stonklol:

The preview for the next episode looks insane. I can't wait.

https://i.imgur.com/06gL3Iw.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jacob :( Mai Ling you are ice cold. Glad it blew up in your face so quickly and spectacularly.

That was an insane riot. :tviv: Hats off to the cast and crew.

I can't wait for the series finale next week. That look between Ah Sahm and Leery. poo poo is going to go down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/AvrD1Ni.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pigasus posted:

When you saw the nunchucks, how excited were you to see some domestic terrorists get smacked with them??

https://i.imgur.com/Mx0IXho.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A good poster posted:

Is that just British for season finale, or will this be the end of the whole thing?

I meant series finale :(

Like Narcissus said, Cinemax isn't doing anymore original programming so unless someone else picks it up, the show is done. I read an interview with Andrew Koji talking about s2 and he certainly seemed interested in continuing the play the character and hopes the show can keep going.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes for Cinemax to stop making shows. I know that HBO wanted to consolidate everything under the HBO Max banner, but I would have assumed they would let Cinemax keep renewing and or greenlighting shows since all the ones they did were good. The Knick, Strike Back, Banshee, Jett, Warrior. I heard that Quarry was kinda mediocre but that is still a great track record.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

That was a good penultimate episode and I'm excited for next week's finale. The season has been kind of dancing around a bit and I wish it was a bit more focused on getting to this specific point. I feel like the Leary fight has to have some kind of fix because we already saw him and Ah Sahm throw down and Leary hasn't been spending this whole season training like Ah Sahm has. It also felt like maybe Leary was kind of seeing the futility of what was happening and was going to be the one to turn things around on Buckley.

The Ah Sahm v Leery fight should be a hilariously one sided beatdown, but it probably won't be due to story reasons. But it should be! :argh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Penny and Lee really got sidelined this season. I wish they had more to do. But holy gently caress did Penny really get screwed. She just spent the whole season trying to succeed on her own but failing or getting poo poo on by everyone else. And then she runs into Buckley who is on another level and gets her committed to a mental institution.

Young Jun also getting warp speed character development this episode. Learning patience and wisdom when dealing with Ah Sahm's reveal and even sort of forgiving him, even though he's clearly hurt and a lot of trust has been broken.

Leery v Ah Sahm was very brutal and did not disappoint.

Mai Ling's blackmail photograph felt like a weak reveal, but that's definitely based on current events. Maybe back then people really did hate the Confederates and it would have been a fatal blow to his political aspirations outside of the south. Or maybe not idk.

This felt like a season finale and not a series finale. Still a ton of unresolved plotlines and then implying that Zhing could escape for the final scene. I really hope HBO Max or someone else picks up the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Damienz posted:

Seems like it got renewed for a third season:

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1382393220139782148

Holy gently caress that's good news. But I wonder who the showrunner will be now since Jonathan Tropper took that same job for See on Apple+.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgq6xQSyko

June 29th

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S3 looks loving insane and I can't wait.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am so glad Warrior is back. That opening scene in the first episode also reminded me just how huge and detailed their actual set is.

:homebrew: I am very down for this plot. Secret service agent Mosley is quite a character. "I guess it is that kind of meeting."

Bill was right. That is a good woman you got there Lee. :clint:

Uh, I hope they didn't just write off Penny. I noticed she's not in the opening credits anymore. I can see how that being the end of her storyline, but holy poo poo that would be pretty hosed and disappointing. At least they mentioned that Buckley is still keeping her in the asylum and stealing her husband's money.

10 Beers posted:

Man, Hong is the best. :allears:

:agreed:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"It's a dead end. We can't get out."
"Neither can they."
"Wait, what?"

I can't wait for Ah Toy, Mai Ling and Young Jun to get their revenge.

e: I wonder if Kong Pak is on the level or if he's going to try and make a move, or push for Li Yong to do it, after Mai Ling's failure and losing a ton of their money.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 7, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bill :unsmith: Ah Toy :smith:

I wonder how Buckley is going to try and spin it that his crackdowns lead to having both gang leaders arrested to them being freed in a matter of days.

e: I am a little disappointed in how quickly they both got out. I think it would've been better to let them sit for another episode and have some other players make their moves.

VagueRant posted:

I'll forgive the coincidence just because I was glad to see him back.

:same: Their interactions were very good.

Qmass posted:

first episode started promising but I barely got through the 2nd and haven't touched the 3rd episode since they all came out. I dunno man, this poo poo is just boring isn't it?

Not at all. Show hasn't missed a beat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 14, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I definitely would've cut Lee's storyline before Penny. Though maybe he will die next episode :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder how the counterfeiting plotline will go. Seems like a terrible deal for the Hop Wei as they don't even have the printing operation on their own turf. But maybe it gets busted and the Long Zi take all the blame since it's on theirs. Then again the secret service agent is dead so who knows.

lmao Young Jun with the prositute

All the scenes in the mining settlement were extremely tense. I kept waiting for poo poo to hit the fan. I was not disappointed. I was surprised that Father Jun didn't die. He was giving off all sorts of death flags. Dispensed some wisdom and him dying there would've been a badass way to go.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Counterpoint: Lee is handsome and should stick around

Also Lee and Chao are bffs now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 20, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: Happy Jack.

Well I guess Agent Mosley isn't dead. And he's loving terrifying. I liked that shot of him struggling to maintain his friendly demeanor despite being furious at almost being killed because of Lee.

Father Jun :smith:

I'm gonna call my shot: some bad poo poo is going to go down at Mai Ling's wedding. Guessing that Young Jun makes a move there. Or some Irish gently caress with it. Or the cops show up. Or the Secret Service.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

This show is so dark on the Max app. Anyone else have that problem?

The opening scene was really dark for me as well. Everything else was fine.

Also still thinking about how pissed Mosley must've been at Lee. Probably thinking to himself "You dumb piece of poo poo. I offer you a good deal, almost died because of you and you still think you can turn me down?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo. Hoon Lee wrote this episode? That is kinda cool.

I'm surprised and impressed that the wedding went off without any major problems. Now unfortunately there's the aftermath of Mai Ling's decision to kill the elders... :rip: Iron Chef

This Father Jun stuff is brutal :smith: Especially since he had that nice scene when he was lucid earlier in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hail to the goddamn chief.

Young Jun :smith: I was surprised at how he did it. I thought he would just give him enough milk of the poppy to OD but nope.

Hong continues to be the loving best. Knows exactly how to deal with cops, even in their sanctuary.

Haha Chao. Ep9 is going to be such a clusterfuck with the plates.

masterpine posted:

Holy jesus gently caress the dispatching of Stricklands goons... :catstare:

:same: