Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

This War of Mine is a war survival game by 11 Bit Studios. It was released late 2014, and a few updates have happened since then. Children were added, the ability to customize the story and characters, and a lot of bug fixes so far.

The game is based on a few accounts of the Bosnia/Serbia war back in 1993. There is a pretty famous prepper interview that really gave this game some of it's ideas and the overall feel. The interview is here, but be warned it does talk about death and some other squeamish subjects. http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/bosnia-war-survivor-warns-collapse-america/

The ongoing story is that the city of Pogoren is under rebel control and surrounded by forces loyal to the government. The army outside is shelling the city daily and won't let any humanitarian aid in, citing concerns that it would be used to support the rebels.

This has gone on for months now, and the civilians trapped in the city are running out of everything and starting to prey on each other to survive. An ominous little detail about the trading is that to Franko, medicine and banadages are more valuable than gold.

The game follows a night and day schedule where you build your base and have random events happen during the day, and then you scavenge for supplies in the ruined city at night. Soldiers, rebels, bandits, and innocent characters will be everywhere for you to interact with at night and how you interact with them is up to you. Random events will happen to you at night, raids from soldiers, rebels, or bandits so you need to be able to defend your home.

Your characters will get sick, hungry, wounded, and tired. They will become depressed, content, happy, or suicidal based on decisions you make in the game. There are chain smoking characters who get angry and drunk when you don't have cigarettes as well as caffeine addicts who fall into a depression without coffee every few days.

However, if you want any of that you'll have to visit my other game threads which are in the archives I believe. Fathers Promise, the first in the stories is here but the others have images too big to get archived in the LP archive so :shrug:

The biggest issue with this LP is the images, the amount of them per page, and the sizes. I'm going to be scaling them down to the imgur default 1024-ish by adding the h tag to all of them. I mean, I play them on a 24 inch monitor at way higher than 1024, and the h tag makes them look OK on my phone so I'm not sure what else to do. It seems to be the best consensus from the previous threads.

There are 6 endings to this story which are all determined by whichever endings you pick during gameplay. I've played through it once already so I am not going in completely blind.

The following videos aren't that important, but give some background info if you can't figure out that "The Last Broadcast" is about a radio host trying to keep his poo poo together during the shitshow that is his life.

Lets get the intro movie out of the way here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1pfkmwagZ0
Starts around 12 second mark...

And then a slow scrolling video showing the building we live in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_VpIe33vIg

Clickable image to read text, full size when expanded.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Lets learn about the main characters a bit to start.

Clickable images to show full size.
"Malik: Disabled, Smoker, Abstinent. I used to be a morning radio host before the war. I would hsare celebrity gossip with my listeners, give them traffic updates and feel-good stories. Everything has changed sinc the start of the siege. Now there's little time for trifles, but words can bring hope, and current news can save lives. I have have more purpose than ever to run my radio station now, and even though Esma thinks I'm driven I've never felt more part of this community. People of Pogoren need me, and I will continue to do everything in my power to help them."

Malik needs cigarettes or else he gets angry. He's also disabled as you saw and maaaaan that makes it a huge pain in the dick. He walks at 1/10th speed, getting him from one side of the house to the other takes almost half the day. It's absurd.

Clickable images to show full size.
"Esma: Sneaks Quietly, Smoker, Abstinent. This place is all we have left of our former lives. I'm severed from my friends, my home, and eevn my son. Every night I pray that he's still alive and well. Malik is really all I have left and his closeness keeps me sane. He finds purpose in his radio broadcasts and I help him however I can. He's a good man who puts the well being of others above his own, so it's up to my to look after him and protect him."

We've got our scavenger for the nightly raids picked out. It's her or the cripple who can't even go up and down stairs. Kind of a no-brainer. A recurring theme in this module is Esma and how she feels the need to protect her husband.

The radio with a red arrow and our workbench with a green arrow.

Zoomed out we see a lot of stuff to scavenge. Circled in Orange are hardened dirt piles, something new to this module. You need a pickaxe to get through them and it tires out the character every time. It takes 4 or 5 attempts to get through them and so takes 4 or 5 naps to not exhaust the characters. It's annoying... To the right is a yellow arrow pointing at my vegetable garden. It's blocked, inaccessible. It's also not yet a veggie garden, but with a bit of upgrading it can be!

We have one bed, so they'll be sleeping in shifts. It's not fun, especially to start. There aren't a lot of usable resources around yet.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Lets look around the house.

Someone got a threatening note up onto the 2nd floor of the house somehow.

Malik won't be intimidated though. He is kneeling down building a metal workshop. I try to line everything on that floor since he can't move up and down stairs and Malik has a lot of free time he could be doing useful stuff later in the game.

Esma runs around at a full sprint for the entire day while her husband listens to the radio in hopes of getting some news. He says "Aw, drat. Nothing." over and over. And "That's old news." Get used to that...

Scavenging the entire house nets you 2 lockpicks. There are 2 locked items. one door, one cabinet. In hindsight I should have saved a lockpick. I don't have resources to build another one so I'm going in my first scavenging night without any useful tools.

Pickaxes cost a lot of resources. Barely worth it. I'd much rather have a hatchet, but that's a pipe dream at this point.

I end the night early. There's just nothing to do without resources. Where should we go first? Abandoned House? Gas station? Park?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

One, I loved your last two LPs of this game, so I'm excited to be on the ground floor for this one.

Two, since we are very noticeably lacking lock picks, there are most likely things that we won't be able to access in both the Gas Station and the Ghost House. While yes, the Park doesn't seem to have any weapons, it does have a lot of materials and parts, and probably won't require lock picks to get everything, since it's a park. Plus, it's said to be safe, which is always good on the first night.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

ZeButler posted:

Two, since we are very noticeably lacking lock picks, there are most likely things that we won't be able to access in both the Gas Station and the Ghost House. While yes, the Park doesn't seem to have any weapons, it does have a lot of materials and parts, and probably won't require lock picks to get everything, since it's a park. Plus, it's said to be safe, which is always good on the first night.

I like the cut of your jib. I'll go try to voyeur some kissing teens at the park overlook.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 1

We start at the right side of the park. Almost immediately we come to a kid asking for help. However down below is a locked gate that you can't really see.

Have no fear, the game doesn't railroad you that hard (usually sometimes this time)

Well that explains why he didn't want to go back that way.
Are you sure?
Go see for yourself. You might get through if you're fast but it's risky as hell.
Thanks. I need to be absolutely sure.

C'mon, I'm a middle aged woman. Of course I'm fast as hell. I got this.

Yep, there's definitely a sniper shooting down that way...

We meet this guy who confirms it. I could turn around but...

He screams LETS GO and I get caught up in his wake.

We take a break behind a van. The guy tells me when to run so it's just "Click twice when he says to" so far. We take cover behind that outcropping of rock and then it's one more simple hop to the building.

poo poo. He gets dropped three steps from safety. I am unable to loot him because of the sniper...

There's one building with some materials which are sorely needed. Fricken locked room...

Back home safe and sound. Esma tells Malik.

Esma makes her husband a dozen smokes before going to bed.

:siren:Do we tell people about the sniper?:siren:

He's army (or that's what Malik will tell people) and having the army not like us isn't exactly good... But it's a sniper in a well-traversed part of town. We've got to tell the listeners, right?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, I was wrong about the locks, but people should know that there are snipers there, if for no other reason than to keep people from looting it before we can come back with picks.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I told the listeners about the sniper. Full sized pics so you can read the bio update.

Esma sleeps. There is literally nothing to do.

A note about the "hungry" status. They can be hungry for 2 days, no problems there. It doesn't hurt anything, so I'll be eating on every odd-numbered-day.

Now where do we go? Weapon-parts in the Ghost House, or materials in the Gas Station?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You need basic materials more than anything right now, IMO. Go get some gas.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

ZeButler posted:

You need basic materials more than anything right now, IMO. Go get some gas.

You're the boss so lets go to the gas station!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 2

Walking in I notice three things immediately.
Army issued weapons on site.
Drag marks, quite deep. They lead straight to the road by the gas station.
Supply crates bearing military markings. They look like they were brought here recently.

Upstairs I use the amazing vision in this game to spy a soldier and eavesdrop.
Ah poo poo, the battery is dead. I must find another or I'm dead!
After the soldier exclaims the battery in his radio is dead he drops down to the ground floor on the right side of the map and begins scavenging parts.

In the room I find a manifest.
Some military papers. Look like supply manifests. Most of the supplies are routed to the military base, but there is a puzzling delivery of food and supplies for a child address to "Bagels Place."

The papers might be supply manifests from the truck the soldier was talking about!

I never said the writing in this game is top notch. It beats you over the head with things constantly.

The solider looks for a battery while I loot everything I can find. If only I had a knife... I'm making a knife asap. This entire gas station and supply truck could have been ours if I had one.

Then I just sprint by the soldier when my bag is full because what's he going to do? Spend 3 seconds readying his rifle? I'm gone by then.
The soldier can be seen under the orange marks that say "scavenge" and "fight - Fists" by the back of the supply truck. He's got his rifle up finally, but it doesn't matter.

:siren:Do we tell people about the supply truck?:siren:

:siren:Do we tell people about the hidden gas and supplies underneath the gas station?:siren:

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 9, 2019

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Loot first, share later if we're allowed to.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RickVoid posted:

Loot first, share later if we're allowed to.

So don't tell people? Go back to the gas station and see if the soldiers left anything? If the soldiers are still there getting the supply truck out then we're going to be in a pickle with all sorts of weapons vs no weapons.

Edit: Not telling people is fine with me, but I'm definitely hitting a different location tonight. Not going to go right back to the gas station to loot it.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 9, 2019

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Day 3 continued

Instead of telling people about the supply truck I make a pickaxe and begin digging. On the right of the broadcast screen is the stuff I could tell the listeners. The left is stuff I've broadcasted already. The last incoming transmission was the sniper... That drat radio broadcast compromised my position and people stopped using the route through the park. Someone should do something about that rogue broadcaster. Over.

Franko the trader shows up. His normal route is through the park, and our warning saved his life. Yay us!

The news he has to share is that coffee price is skyrocketing. There are no other merchants in this module (not really, at least none worth going to see) so this info is useless to us.
Word is that there won't be any till the next aid drop. And when will that be? No one knows so the price is going to soar.

I traded away jewelry and alcohol for food, a lockpick, and water. Useless alcohol, useless jewelry.

Feeding the disabled Malik takes 1.5hrs for 2x food units. That's an hour and a half he could have been digging or sleeping or anything, but Esma has to feed him. It's unreal. I can't wait till I have resources enough to get a cooking stove on the top floor for him to make his own food.

Now I'm going to go to the Ghost House for Night 3.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe we can actually get something from the Ghost House since you finally have a replacement lock pick. The Ghost House was originally listed as having a lot of weapons, right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 3

Hint: It's entirely deserted.

There is a letter inside, but nothing much of note.

I grab the above on my way out the door.

The next day is a busy one. You can dig the rubble for 1.5hrs before being tired. So that leaves 2 sleeps and digs for Esma during the day (tired from scavenging->sleep->dig->sleep till 4pm or so->finish digging, with one dig for Malik in between.

They both whine incessantly about warning people about the truck at the gas station.

:getin:

Looting the right side of the house (finally) nets me a hatchet which is huge. With that I can chop up 10 furniture for firewood. Carry lumber at 2-per-backpack-space is dumb when it gets cold. I can chop stuff up and carry 4x firewood so get double the amount home.

Notice it says "Huge amount of weapons" now?

Oh boy oh boy I hope it's just the one guard...

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 9, 2019

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh good, the story 100% bricks here if you don't tell people about the supply truck.

What did I say earlier about railroading?

I can go back, see the gas station, do basically nothing extra, and have the story not progress. I fast forwarded a couple days to check after I yanked my save file just in case.

So frick? I guess I'll go back and alert people about the supply truck?

Stupid game.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright, so I savescummed.

Back to day 4, I broadcasted the news of the supply truck, but not the news of the fuel in the basement.

and immediately we get a new location we can scavenge. It's a warehouse with lots of everything in it, but a gang of bad guys that are dangerous.

I'm going to head back to the gas station anyway, that's what I did last time so... lets see if the truck was ransacked.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 4 (redux)

The gas station is abandoned... except a corpse.
This soldier either died guarding the supplies or surrendered and was lynched...

And all the supplies are gone.
I hope those supplies helped people.

Looks like the soldier was guarding.
Oh god this is terrible...

The fuel is still here, thankfully. I can hit that later to be in good shape if I need it.

A letter was dropped through the front window.

Esma doesn't take it well. She doesn't take much well to be honest.

The two talk to each other a bit.
We're helping people but I don't know how much longer we can keep doing it. The army won't sit on it's hands listening to our broadcasts.
That's true, but this is the price of changing the situation in the city. It's worth it, my love.

We make some food on our new stove and eat a filling meal. That hits the spot.

Full size clickable image.

:siren:
1) We received a new broadcast about clashes between soldiers and rebels. Do we tell people?
2) Do we tell people that the military is threatening us?
3) Do we tell people about the fuel and goodies in the basement of the gas station or do we keep it to ourselves?
4) And finally: Where do we go scavenging? The dangerous warehouse is the only new location. I can clean out the park or get materials from the house I guess.
:siren:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Is Central Square not available? It's in the screen shot you showed of new areas. Also, keep news of the fuel to ourselves, tell about the fighting, and let people know that the government wants you dead.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

ZeButler posted:

Is Central Square not available? It's in the screen shot you showed of new areas. Also, keep news of the fuel to ourselves, tell about the fighting, and let people know that the government wants you dead.

It is. My bad.

We can do whatever, I will hit that since you caught my mistake. Good eye.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I broadcasted what I was told, then went to the Central Square.

Soldiers, definitely soldiers.

Oh snap he's like 20 steps away from me but not looking in my direction (yay storyline quests!)

I head down the convenient basement access.

I loudly rip the doors apart while the guard above, who is standing in the rain, says he needs fresh air.

Well poo poo, they've got prisoners. The soldiers say they're hosed and bound to give up any info they have.
I'm going in for more information!

I loot a bunch, find information, and realize no one else is in the entire building except this guy... he's asleep and I'm very very sneaky.

So I yell to the prisoners while someone sleeps right next to me and the soliders below are like right fuckin there yet don't hear anything.
They are going to torture us, please you must do something! They keep going on about our contacts among the rebels but we don't know anything!
I can't help you, but I'll pass on the word to people who can!

Do we tell people and risk the wrath of the soldiers? I missed a conversation between Esma and Malik, but it was "we have to help" and "i know, we will do what we can" and "I'm so scared" and crap.

Also, someone is at the door but I cant get it yet because our only noncripple is sleeping.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I say we see how much we can piss off the soldiers.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

seaborgium posted:

I say we see how much we can piss off the soldiers.

K, I'll give it a day before I go back to the Central Square to see if the prisoners were released.

Warehouse it is...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
End of Day 6

Just another threat from the army. No biggie.

Night 6, Warehouse

Yep, soldiers are here.

And this was on the wall. Esma gets all butthurt about it.

No, no one paid his ransom.
So you killed him?
No, he got away.
I need a drink.

Then they about-face and leave. My timing is amazing.

One goes upstairs and never comes down again. He paces back and forth facing straight, then eating dinner four times in a row. This little guy? Well, he is wearing body armor so things don't go all that smoothly.

The guard on the floor above me (by stairs, see his gun pointing up as he walks?) could see his dead buddy and cause problems but nope... just stare straight ahead. I also got an assault rifle and 20 bullets, plus his body armor.

The other guard says "Huh, did I leave that door open" as the kitchen door opens in his face. Then I stab him twice and he goes down. Now I have ammo, shotgun, assault rifle, and body armor.

I am pretty sure this story is not meant to be played this way because...

Look bottom right at her Bio. She's injured and tired. But she's not sad. She has no problems with killing people. She's a heartless killing machine, but she's really weak so it takes a while. The guards both got a rifle-smash in before they went down.

Franko shows up so I trade him basically everything useless for all sorts of goodies. Water is a premium right now. It's unreal how many resources I dedicate to water.

And now we get a couple new places. The Toy Store and Ghost House are inaccessible due to fighting. The Music Club is a bar and a lovely merchant hangs out there.

That being said: Esma is wounded. If it was just slight I'd go out. She's bandaged and injured, so I think I'm going to stay in today and heal up. Then I'll go back to Central Square to see how the soldiers fared with their prisoners.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

We were raided and they took... herbal meds and some smokes? Idiots. Also even more annoying? Malik cannot guard. Esma stayed home to get better with bandages and Malik literally can't guard. It's greyed out for no reason other than to bend you over in this story. I got really lucky anyway. They could have taken bandages.

Let me tell you how things work here, little dumb ways to game the system.

Keep 6 food on the cookstove and it's unstealable. Those 3 food and 3 carrots would have been stolen no doubt.

Find a stash in your house containing stuff like this that isn't really needed right now? Just leave it. Not stealable.

A new broadcast came in saying it was going to be cold soon. I told people about it because it wasn't story-related.

Alright, so I messed up a bit. Going to have to scavenge a couple nights to make up for it I think... Do you see how it says "Components we need:" and I have zero materials? Frick. It's going to get cold so I'll need 18 materials for a simple heater. One night of scavenging will take 5 slots of material-stacks to make the heater.

And Esma is still slightly injured so that's not exactly ideal. She might get better on her own, or maybe not. It's up to a random number generator to tell me.

The Toy Store is inaccessible still. I'll go hit the Central Square like someone had mentioned, gotta see if the soldiers get their asses kicked or not.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 8, Central Square Part 2

Right out front of the building is a dead guard. His throat has been slit from behind.

Down in the sewer entrance there is a dead rebel.
It was a bloody affair, but at least they rescued those people.

Yep, they are gone, so they definitely got rescued. Not pictured: Two more dead guards and flavor text along the lines of "This guard didn't even have a chance to react before being gunned down"

The place is entirely abandoned otherwise, so...

That soldier was sleeping on a thermo regulator. This can be used to make an improved heater that will be more efficient, but that cost is another 20ish materials I don't have. It can be used to make alcohol distillers too, but... why? Not in this game anyway.

I brought my hatchet so I chop up everything into firewood. Stacks of 4 firewood are better than stacks of 2 lumber that you have to make into firewood later.

I chopped up everything I could until my hatchet broke. I wanted the inventory space basically. Plus if I need to come back here there will be plenty of firewood for me.

I find just enough materials to build the simple heater. Phew!

:siren:DAY 9:siren:
I missed a screenshot apparently.

And I got kind of lucky with the random number generator. Esma healed herself from Slightly Wounded to normal overnight while scavenging.
It is 41 degrees, so I jacked 6 fuel into the heater. If you leave it below 53ish for extended periods of time then the characters get "slightly sick" which can be cured by rest and/or meds of two different kinds. Sometimes rest alone will do it.

They said thanks for getting their buddies out.

Alright. Where to? Gas station for that locked room underground, the warehouse which has a metric shitload of resources (and more baddies), or the Music Club to progress the story?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright gently caress it, going to the gas station.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 9, Gas Station

Its abandoned of course.

They aren't around to use the fuel so I load up.

There's still quite a bit more fuel and other odds and ends there. Probably will never go back though.

Snow! You know what snow means? CHEAP WATER! Now that I have meals for 14 days on the stove, plus 4 canned meals for another 8 days... I'm not sure what I want water for but I'm going to do it anyway.

Franko shows up, so I trade him broken stuff plus our pickaxe that we don't need anymore.

I end the day early because there is nothing to do. If I let the day expire I'd probably use 2 or 3 more fuel in the stove. Easier to just hit End Day.

Where to? Music or Toys?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I say toys. Everyone loves toys, even snipers.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Toy store sounds as promising as any.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Solve the mystery of the :ghost:GHOST HOUSE:ghost: :iiam:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

McGavin posted:

Solve the mystery of the :ghost:GHOST HOUSE:ghost: :iiam:

I hit that on night 3 I think, it's an abandoned house. There is a lot of stuff behind a locked grate that I didn't even get to yet though. I'll hit that later maybe!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 10, Toy Store

Everyone on board? Toy Store to the right. Thanks, helpful sign!

Normal 4 story, basement included, building.

Oh snap someone is here

Please help me, I hid in the basement during the bombardment several days ago. A shell hit the roof and left me trapped. I'm starving and dying of thirst here, please help me!
I cannot help you myself, but I will try to get someone to help you!
Thank you, I don't know how much longer I can last!

Also keep in mind it's like 30 degrees out so he's gotta be fricken chilly.

A box of womens things. It looks like a woman lived here.
With all the flavor text of "I wish I had a hairbrush" I'd expect Esma to take one but... nope.

And then I found her diary.

And now I'm going to mark this as a spoiler because some people are squeamish and/or triggered if that's a thing on these forums...

Hover/click here to see it
Oh god... that's... I don't know the words to describe it

Pretty good haul otherwise. There's still another 20ish materials which I might need to come back for. That thing in the last slot of my backpack is a mixer. I don't want it, I don't need it, but Franko will pay a lot for it.

It is used for upgrading herbal workshop to make meds, or the metal workshop to make ammo. No need for that, we're sitting on boatloads of resources, plus the warehouse has "metric fucktons" of stuff, plus food and meds. Just a little knife work and I can get it anytime I want.

Look at that snow.

It snowed into the building, so I set Malik to dig some.

Here's where I was wrong. I still need filters to make snow into water. Oops?

I still made enough to get some herbs growing. I got two pure alcohol from the Toy Store, so I need 4 herbs each to make them into bandages or some kind of expensive meds. Worth it to trade...

I broadcasted about the guy trapped.

That's pretty much it. Feed the fire, and head to the music store I guess?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 11, Music Club

We start on the top of a parking garage or bridge for some reason. Odd to climb all the way up here to start and then climb back down but whatever...

Yep
Thanks!
Riveting conversation

Wow, I'm so pissed!
I guess I'll have another!
gently caress, I've had enough.

Downstairs are people, but I can scavenge a bit up top so might as well do that first. A lot of this building is inaccessible for some super mysterious reason. Guesses?

4 people downstairs that can talk. I'll do the conversations in bold and italics like I have been.

But first I trade away crap I just scavenged for 22 water and a filter, so 26 water total. That's helpful. The merchant has a lot of good stuff this time, but he's super expensive still so screw it.

An old friend, Gustav.
Oh, hello... Esma, it's been a while. You haven't changed at all since the world went to hell.
You don't look too shabby yourself, Gustav. And what a nice place you got here.
Yeah, would be a shame if something happened to it. Only thing that keeps me going. *dun dun dun queue foreshadowing*
Actually, it hasn't been so bad lately. I've been getting more patrons since your last broadcast. Many soldiers died, many more good people were saved. I really appreciate what you do but you could be a bit more careful about it.
Thanks for the warning, I'll talk to Malik about it. Don't get yourself killed.

Some dude
Oh, it's you. I know you.
Really? I don't...
It's your fault things went to hell around here.
I beg your pardon?
Don't play dumb. You and your husband... All your prattling on the radio did was piss off the soldiers. They take it all out on us. Completely innocent people. But they'll deal with you soon, you'll get your just desserts.

Guy at the table
Oh Esma, it's good to see you alive and well!
I'm glad to see you too. How are you doing?
Great, I managed to stock up on food for the first time in weeks! Tell Malik I support what you do. Listening to Malik gives me hope that we can hold on until the war ends. Take care!
Thanks, it's good to hear that once in a while.

That sure was something huh? No news for Malik was uncovered, but we'll have a conversation with him when we get home.

Honey, I'm scared. The army started looking for you.
Esma, we are saving lives. That's neither easy nor safe. We must tell people the truth. They need it desperately in these times.
But if something happens to you, what then? Who will them then?
We can cower in fear or stand and fight. For me the choice is easy. We must have courage to live in truth.

Upgraded the workshop just to show you what we can build but I don't think we'll do anything more honestly.

Two new locations. Where to? An old friend at the bakery or brothers at the pharmacy? We don't need any more resources for a while so we can go anywhere you want. Or the Toy Store to see if there's a frozen corpse in the basement or if people dug him out.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
I'll throw in for the Bakery.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Silver Spooner posted:

I'll throw in for the Bakery.

I'm still not quite sure how to do the bakery so... Enjoy the ride. I'm sure there's a trick to it, I'm just not patient enough.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Turns out I'm just really fuckin stupid and it's easy.

Night 12, The Bakery

This is a huge map. It's wide, but not much to do in it. Spans two sides of the street. We start on the left and there's a dude right in front of us that wants to talk.

Are you Esma? Wife of Malik? The radio man?
Yes, who are you?
My wife was being held prisoner at the Central Square. You saved her life! How can I ever repay you?
I'm sure you barely scrape by like most everyone else. And we just came upon a food cache, thank you.

First of all no we the gently caress did not find a food cache...

There is a garage next to this man with a military issue radio in it. No batteries though. Odd.

I go like 3 screens right across an empty street and climb into the bakery through the second floor. Immediately at my feet is a box.

I find more military gear, then spy Novak sitting in a chair in the kitchen.

He's my buddy so I bust in.
Oh Esma, hello! Nice to see you! How are things? What brings you here, is everything alright?
I'm the best pilot here!
Yes, we're fine. How about you?
I'm... not so well actually. Not since Valena died.
Oh, I'm so sorry...
I'm the best pilot here!
I'm coping. For my son, there's only me and him now. Can you keep an eye on him for a moment? I'll go fetch some food for him.
Sure

After that's all said, Novak just sorta walks downstairs and stays there for a bit.

You wanna race? Catch me, catch me!
Haha, you're too slow!

So I chase the rugrat throughout the house.

I'm the best pilot here!
These bugs are funny!

We make a full circle.
Thanks for watching over my kid.
No problem.

And then I apparently get all up in his business because why wouldn't I?
How did you...!? I'm so sorry, I hate myself for it. But it's the only way to provide for my son! I was informing only on the worst people, or those who had no chance to survive anyway.
I never told anyone who is behind the radio broadcasts... and the army is very keen to learn that. Esma please! I don't want to tell them about you. You're my friend, don't make me do it!
I'm the best pilot here!
Is that a threat you loving punk rear end bitch? I will end you!

Then I try to steal his food and he kicks me out. I could kick his rear end, but he's got a son right there so I don't.

Now what?

Option 1) I must tell Malik about Novak's betrayal. Regardless of the consequences he should make it public knowledge. If we remain silent all those people on the list are still in danger.

Option 2) What Novak is doing is abhorrent, but if Malik exposes him on the radio his whole family will be in danger? I'll tell Malik there is an informer, but not reveal his identity.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Ugh.

Fucker is endangering a lot more people. Dox him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RickVoid posted:

Ugh.

Fucker is endangering a lot more people. Dox him.

I did this, have screenshots, but cant upload and post till Monday.

We are going down a different path than I took in my last playthrough so that's fun!