Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Day 13

All the flavor text that comes with our decision.

The guy we met at the bakery area brought us some food for rescuing his wife.

I broadcast about Novak, then our bio's get updates.

I build a rat trap in the basement. It'll catch a rat eventually for 2-uncooked food. Unlimited food, two of these traps can let 4 people live relatively comfortably.

Those herbs finished growing in our garden and I could make 2x bandages but I already have 2 and don't need anything else. If I make them and we get raided then chances are I lose them. May as well keep them in pieces and assemble if I need them.

And now I'll hit the pharmacy I guess. Other options are back to the toy store or the bakery to see if the man trapped was saved or to see what happened to Novak. Pharmacy for tonight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 13, Pharmacy

Welcome to the Pharmacy. I'll just sneak in through the second floor and be super stealthy the entire time. K? Sneakiness is of the utmost importance here.

gently caress.

I snoop the entire house and take everything I can regardless. I find a note carelessly left out.
Davor supporting the rebels? That's something new.

Listen to me! Stop chumming up to these rebels! You're in danger, I'm telling you!
Now you're just bullshitting me just to make me stop.
The army has heard about the rebel hideout. They'll hit it any day now!
Oh gently caress, I need to go warn them!
Anyway, they might be gearing up for the assault as we speak. It's too dangerous.
gently caress, how can you be like that brother? There are good people there who just want the war to end!
It's war, people die all the time. I don't want you to join them so just stay put until I return. You're pissing me off, i'm going for a smoke.

Wow, talk about a dilemma. I want it known that the entire conversation took roughly 4 hours of my 7hr nightly-scavenge-clock. Annoying.

I bust in while the angry brother is outside smoking. I loot everything near him, then talk.

Sure did, you fucks talk loud.
Your husband has to warn everyone over the radio!
Your brother disagrees. He said it could put you both in danger.
If I remain silent many more will get hurt!
Alright... I'll talk to Malik.

And then I go talk to the brother smoking outside.

You better keep your mouth shut if you know what's good for you!
Are you threatening me?
If the military finds out who snitched they'll kill us and then they'll come for you and your reckless husband!

And now we have 2 options again:

:siren:
1) I'll ask Malik to warn the rebels about the planned attack on their hideout so they can move in time. We should do everything in our power to avoid more bloodshed.

2) I won't tell Malik about the attack on the rebels. It's too risky. The military could get back at us if we spoil their plans. I'll just tell Malik about the lack of supplies at the pharmacy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Guess we'll have to wait a bit to find out what happens to Novac. Bet the fucker gets lynched.

This is a tough choice. If the Military gets the Rebels, there's a chance the conflict ends. On the other hand, with no real opposition the Government can do whatever they gently caress they want to us inside the blockaded zone.

The other side draws out the conflict longer, and pisses off the military. They will find us. This will also not necessarily prevent more bloodshed, because the rebels may see this as an opportunity to ambush the military.

Warn them. If we die, we die with a clear conscience.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RickVoid posted:

Warn them. If we die, we die with a clear conscience.

I snitched, again. The characters feel differently about it.

And some unrelated flavor text:

I worry about the people he's ordered to kill.
He's still your son!
He abanded the truth out of blind loyalty to the country that betrayed us.
Oh Adem, why...?

I sell unneeded bandages to Franko. That's all for today

We can go anywhere you want.

Music Store - Maybe storyline?
Toy Store - trapped in basement dude
Pharmacy - Brothers
Bakery - Novak
Warehouse- murdering a thug and loot
Ghost House - locked grate and few items in basement

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
It's time to face the music.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 14, Music Club

They talk to each other, but not to me.

That was all.

Dipstick is sick, so this is Esma giving him medicine. It took an hour of gametime.

We caught a rat, so I reset the trap.

Well that settles the "do I need to go back to the bakery" question.

Malik heard a broadcast. The army isn't happy about us, and they haven't even had any radio chatter about the rebel hideout we spoiled.

Take your pick.

Music Store - Maybe storyline?
Toy Store - trapped in basement dude. Wait, is he the one who gave us food a couple days ago?
Pharmacy - Brothers
Bakery - Novak
Ghost House - locked grate and few items in basement

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

If we keep urging impressionable people to murder and pillage, we might as well practice what we preach.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Toy Store - trapped in basement dude. Wait, is he the one who gave us food a couple days ago?

Lets take a look to make sure.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ephemeron posted:

If we keep urging impressionable people to murder and pillage, we might as well practice what we preach.

Night 15, Warehouse part 2

I see the last thug on the left side of the screen.

He goes for a smoke, and I ready my hatchet.

This is Esma mid-swing. He went down just as she swung. The hatchet is a 1-hit-kill weapon. Except for Esma, she's so weak...

There is so much loot here. Unreal amounts.

Plus the building side!

I left weapon parts, materials, assloads of lumber, and a bunch of cigs/tobacco.

God damnit, lets hope they didn't take anything good.

They took all of the firewood and deeply wounded Malik. loving fantastic.

I make more firewood while someone waits outside.

Water sounds great, but Esma is skeptical and wants to verify.

:siren:Do we tell people, or do we verify first like Esma wants?:siren:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This sounds like a trap.

Verify.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

thats_bait.gif

Verify.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 16, Water Place Thing

We arrive, and I wonder how much water is left.

The door flies open before I reach it and a man sprints by me.
Run for your life! Who knows if it's over!
Wait? What's over? What happened!? Wait!!!
But he's gone to the winds.

Oh boy there's a body...

My friend is seriously wounded, it all happened so suddenly...
What happened? (asking again)
Go see for yourself. I need to take care of him.

There's one door to the left, lets go see.

So many dead and wounded. It must have been some kind of explosion.
Please help, my husband is dying in my arms. Please help!
I... I don't know how...

This is slightly less than good.

I find a man standing around and demand answers.
These people were all waiting for water when the shells hit.
The military is full of nothing but cold-blooded murderers. The whole world needs to learn about this crime!

Why the hell are you taking photos? Help the wounded!
I will, but I need to document this massacre first. We need proper evidence of this war crime. The Granzi must pay for it. The world has to know!

The conversation ends and I move from the courtyard to left-half of the ruined building.

People are stacked up against the walls.
It hurts when I try to move. I hope they don't fire again.
What happened here?
Ugh, I... don't remember much. I was waiting for water. There was a blast and I was smashed against the wall. When I regained consciousness I was covered in blood and everything around me was on fire
Those bastards in the army must have used mortars against us. To them civilians are just as good targets as the rebels.

Someone should help the injured. Brb, gonna go loot.

I'll be ok... thank you. Shells fell on us while we were waiting for water. Wait, you're from the radio aren't you? I'd advise you to keep quiet about what happened here!
Why? The world should hear of this atrocity!
Your radio broadcasts do not go unnoticed by the military, and they're getting angry. If you don't stop, they might decide to stop you themselves. Be reasonable...
I... thanks for the warning...

There are a lot of bodies and flavor text.

They really beat you over the head with it. Anyone figured out the next big twist?

Option 1: All these war crimes can't go unpunished. We must demand an intervention from the international community. There must be retribution! I'll tell Malik about the massacre.

Option 2: The military knows about Malik's radio already. He may be in danger if he spreads news of their crimes. I'll tell him this was an accident that the rebels used for propaganda.

Spoiler below:
About now is when I realize that nothing we did in the past even matters one little bit. This is literally the only story answer that matters how the game ends. Seriously, all the other choices don't do anything other than maybe make you sad. This is literally the only choice that does anything real to the story.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Put us up against the wall. Our Tombstone can read They did the right thing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RickVoid posted:

Put us up against the wall. Our Tombstone can read They did the right thing.

Malik is going to broadcast the truth. Nothing will stop him.

He also tells people about the weather because that's something nice.

Please honey, don't torture yourself.
The soldiers who fired the shells... How can they look themselves in the mirror?
They are terrorists. So many innocents died. But please let it go, honey. They will pay for it.

Ooooh a new place to scavenge tonight!

Ummmm

Okay, I am getting a bad feeling...

And that settles that... Beeline home, quick.

This isn't what usually happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAEkfheGXOY
Full video here, it's a 2 minute cutscene.

My Dear, Malik! Noooo!
Why were you so stubborn, why?!
I let this happen. I should have protected him...
This is all my fault... oh god...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Day 18, continued.

Esma is depressed. Lets hope she is the type that is angry-depressed and not mopey-depressed.

You can feel her heart shatter. She lays down to sleep, nothing matters anymore.

An hour later someone knocks on the door.

... Adem?

They... they killed him.
Nooo, I'm too late!
They came in the night and shot him. Soldiers just like you.
I deserted when I heard the army was coming after you! I wanted to warn you...
I'm so sorry for everything, will you let me in?

I'm so sorry I ran away in the first place... Now I'll never have a chance to tell you how sorry I am, dad.

This will not bring Dad back. It's good to see your face again, to know you're alive but... I need more time...
I wish your father could hear this. Now all you can do is help me bury him.

I recorded this entire section, then it got yanked because I had music playing in the background that got copyright-claimed. I stripped the music and here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P64L7FjtCTQ
Here's the video. It's 2:37 long, and you can see how long the conversations take. There is one surprise character that I'm glad to see again. Guess who?

Some of them are in my church, talk to them please.
I can't, It's just so hard now that he's gone. I just want it to end.
You need time to heal. If you want to leave there is a boat leaving from Pier 9. You've earned a place on it with everything you did for the people of the city.
Thank you, I'll think about it.
And don't worry about the funeral. I'll take care of everything.Just do me a favor. Stay a while and talk to the people.

They talk about how they hope someone can replace him. Esma says the radio is destroyed. "But the radio wasn't just Malik..."

The army found out there were radio parts and didn't want Malik 2.0 around. So they murdered Gustav and destroyed the music club.

Wahooo they didn't lynch the kid!

I can't thank Malik, but I can thank you. Thank you for saving the life of my daughter. She was sick and Malik told us on the radio about a medical drop.
"You should carry on his work..."

Some people stopped by to talk to me. They were very grateful for fathers help.
So many people will miss him, but all their gratitude won't bring him back.
His death doesn't have to be the end of it, we can continue his work since it's helped so many.
Or maybe we should leave the city before it kills us like it did Malik. There's a boat on Pier 9, we can board it and go.
I don't want to run again. For once I want to do what is right. What would father want us to do?
It's late Adem... We'll talk about it tomorrow. (no we won't because I ran out of time)

It's still 39 fuckin degrees so the above is a lie.

They both eat, Adem gets some pills for his sickness, then they curl up for uhhh 12 god drat hours. Adem is still tired, so he's not our scavenger tonight.

3 new places to visit. We already did the church, but there's more to talk and trade... Don't really need to though.

What are we doing?
Fleeing the city with our hides intact?
Scavenging some radio parts from the destroyed Music Club (where they specifically said there was some) and carrying on Maliks legacy?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I honestly expected worse. Like, let's broadcast the sounds of your unecessarily cruel and drawn out deaths over the radio to break the people's spirits. Kind of surprised the game pulled that punch.

And now that I've read part two, I'm glad the little guy is okay. I wonder if this sequence in the church is a "Look at how you hosed up" for a "Never tell Malik anything that could put us in danger" Esma. Like wrong choices result in less people here.

I'm torn on this. Fixing the radio and continuing to broadcast is a terrible idea. They already know where we are, all it will do is get the poo poo killed out of us. A bullet we dodged once already. Also, with Adem having gone AWOL, the military is already going to be looking for him.

On the other hand, running is admitting defeat, that what Malik was doing was wrong and not a brave act of defiance. It will also haunt Adem for the rest of his life, having a chance to atone and instead walking away.

My ideal ending is Esma takes the boat and Adem resumes broadcasting... but I know that's not an option. So let's repair a radio. You can't stop the signal.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 17, 2019

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Edited my previous post with new info from the finished update.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RickVoid posted:

And now that I've read part two, I'm glad the little guy is okay. I wonder if this sequence in the church is a "Look at how you hosed up" for a "Never tell Malik anything that could put us in danger" Esma. Like wrong choices result in less people here.

Spoiler below
The alternative to that last decision (lie to Malik to keep him safe) is that the rebels beat the hell out of Malik and take him hostage. Then we do the exact same song-and-dance to repair the radio (except we trade Franko for parts) and then broadcast an apology to Malik before running away with Adem. The epilogue is that Malik disowns everyone and despises Esma for lying to him. He ends with "I have no family...anymore" *fade to black*

So basically: Malik is a huge loving rear end in a top hat and I'm glad he got shot in the face this time around.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

RickVoid posted:

So let's repair a radio. You can't stop the signal.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 19, destroyed music club

Yep, soldiers were here.

Esma lets us know how she feels right now.

I find radio parts with a note on the wall next to a few corpses.

I didn't bring bandages so I can't do anything for this guy.
Soliders stormed in and started shooting everyone. They smashed the audio equipment. They thought someone here had something to do with your broadcasts.
They're all dead because of you. Please help me...

Yada yada I loot things, go home.

Adem is all about carrying on his fathers legacy.

And so he gets to work.

They talk about their depression to each other. Its one of the ways to snap them out of it, but it doesn't work here.

Franko tells us news, condolences, and trades us stuff we don't need for other stuff we still don't need.

I share your grief... and anger.

Then we crowd over the radio for our final broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0g7ZRY4t_o
It's a 6 minute long video. You can crank the speed to 1.5 or 1.75 and not really miss much as long as you can read sorta quick. It's ungodly slow otherwise.
Pause it at the last 10 seconds or so so you can read and that's all she wrote.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 17, 2019

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And lets try escaping on the boat shall we?

I bring myself a shotgun and a bunch of canned food for the trip.

I also steal everything I can.

There's a little boat to the left down that ramp. That's my target.

Yes, after what happened to my husband Malik...
Malik? The radio guy?
Yes, our story is over. I want to flee with my son.
Malik's wife, you've earned a place on my boat. You can both come with me. Get on the boat when you're ready.

Click that little exit button and...

We are ready.
Ok, we'll be setting off soon. Make yourself comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIFr31j3vSo
I cut this video down to 1:15, skipped the slow scrolling thing from the last video. It's got a little different ending is all.

And if you want to skip all that jazz, not see the beautiful boat and stuff then here's the final thingy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for showing the game off.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Love this game and didn't know there were more DLCs. Exciting to see new locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RickVoid posted:

Thanks for showing the game off.

Thanks for making decisions for me to follow!