Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

oystertoadfish posted:

should i worry about the LMGs my two rifle squads are carrying, or are they just gonna set up along the treeline and do what they can?

and finally, in addition to my platoon HQ, do i have HQs for the rifles, the SMGs, the ATs, and the MGs? any thoughts on whether they should get special orders?

thanks.

The LMGs will deploy automatically and fight with the rest of your squads just fine. If you aren't seeing the bursts of automatic fire when you target somewhere then see if they can tweak their position because the gunner might not be able to see the target.

Your MGs and ATs have a section HQs that will boost their morale a bit if they're in comms.

I'll endeavour to see that any question in this thread gets answered, BTW, so if you have any, ask!

Since Flavs has taken a posting holiday I'll take over until he gets back. I'm a bit busy ATM, but I'll get my bearings properly tomorrow which should leave plenty of time to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

oystertoadfish posted:

i don't want to delay the forces on the way to the forward forest, but i'd like covering fire if they need it for enemy across the river. should i just depend on the other squadron to cover that? alternately, i could make a conditional order for if there are enemy forces unsuppressed north of Boris.

The troops across the river are going to have the entirety of 2nd Squadron supporting them, as well as the tanks, so we don't need to worry about providing cover for them. Our focus is Tanya (and to a lesser degree Natasha) until orders or the ground situation change.

oystertoadfish posted:

are those numbers right, as far as what i have? if they arent, i must've hosed up reading the spreadsheet.

You have, in terms of CM units:

code:
3rd Cavalry Platoon
  1x HQ Team
  2x Cavalry (rifle) Squad
SMG Platoon
  1x HQ Team
  2x Cavalry (SMG) Squad
2nd MG Section
  1x HQ Team
  2x MG (SG43) Team
2nd AT Section
  1x HQ Team
  3x AT (PTRD) Team
So you've got 11 groups on the map you need to account for. Further, the squads can "split" up to twice, which give you smaller, more specialized units. You can split off a scout team (which is just two dudes with rifles), an Assault team (which is usually your heavy weapons) and if we had any, an AT team (with the AT weapon, obviously). I actually don't think it's necessary to split up your squads at this point, and probably not at all, except for the scout teams, which are quite useful for getting eyes on things with minimal exposure for the main body of the platoon.

The HQ teams should be reasonably close to their units but not in the line of fire unless there's no other choice. There's a command radius that Abong or Ace can display for you; ideally you want to stay in that but it's not 100% required.

oystertoadfish posted:

i'd plan on getting the MGs both set up facing southward. assuming none of the farm-ish things in between get in the way (do any of them??), i should be able to set up two MGs in my half of the forest that both have angles on both Tanya (red) and Natasha (purply-pink). that's the ideal. the western one should hopefully be able to see across the river too.

should i worry about the LMGs my two rifle squads are carrying, or are they just gonna set up along the treeline and do what they can?

The farm should not be in the way of our fire on Tanya, but the woods right along the river might obstruct that a bit, so I'd err on the side of putting the MGs closer to the middle of the forest. You'll want some separation between the positions so they don't get hit with the same fire. CM does things by the "square"--if you look at the graphic Fray posted back in the OP, the one with the elevation, every pixel-looking thing on there is an 8m square and CM uses that for a lot of things, like area fire and visibility (sort of). You should have maybe 3-4 squares between the guns, if you can do it.

If you have to choose between the objectives for some reason, choose to improve our ability to hit Tanya rather than Natasha. The other side of the river is well covered; don't worry about it.

The LMGs will set up as part of your squads, you don't need to do anything with them separately, as Jaguars! said.

oystertoadfish posted:

and finally, in addition to my platoon HQ, do i have HQs for the rifles, the SMGs, the ATs, and the MGs? any thoughts on whether they should get special orders?

thanks.

Yes. See the force list above, there's lots of HQ units. Keep your units reasonably close together and not intermingled; it'll make giving orders easier. The HQs should basically be just behind the troops, yelling at them.

The western forest doesn't need full squads. You can send an ATR team if you like, but I was just thinking scouts from one of your rifle sections, honestly. Your call, though keep in mind we're trying to not give away our entire hand. We'll do that in turn two.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

1st Squadron, 1st Platoon

Deployment:

Green is rifle squads, yellow is AT squad and red is MG Squad. Deploy in our deployment zone as shown or as close as possible to the way shown.

Movement:

All squads are to move forward across the open ground to the wooded area opposite our deployment zone, if the squads are able to reach the wooded area before the turn is over they are to position themselves with the MG and AT squad in the back with the two rifle squads in front and both squads are to split off a scout team each who are to use Slow to move up to the edge of the wood and recon what is ahead.

The other platoon under my command is to move up to behind the wood but not inside as a sort of tactical reserve force. Sorry for no arrows for this platoon but its late and I need sleep.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 12, 2019

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

1st Squadron, 1st & 2nd Platoons

Both platoons, along with their two attached MG sections and the AT section, should deploy behind the airplane-shaped woods. They will rush quickly to the west, using the woods as cover but moving across open ground for speed before turning south to set up within the forest. The two yellow dots are the machine gun positions - I'm not sure exactly how wide their arcs of fire are but they should be targeting Objective Boris and the west side of the river. The green cavalry platoons will take position with them while the AT section hangs back deeper in the forest until needed.

Lenisto fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 13, 2019

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Lenisto posted:

1st Squadron, 1st & 2nd Platoons

Both platoons, along with their two attached MG sections and the AT section, should deploy behind the airplane-shaped woods. They will rush quickly to the west, using the woods as cover but moving across open ground for speed before turning south to set up within the forest. The two yellow dots are the machine gun positions - I'm not sure exactly how wide their arcs of fire are but they should be targeting Objective Boris and the west side of the river. The green cavalry platoons will take position with them while the AT section hangs back deeper in the forest until needed.

Just a couple of comments here. Firstly, there's no need to rush - you'll tire your men out for the actual assault. Secondly, could you spread your men out more. If the Germans start mortaring your position, or shelling it with tanks, you will lose a lot of men as you are now. Spread out to the north. Your men will be fine in the open (I doubt there's much that will be able to bring them under fire, anyway).

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

2nd Tank Platoon

Start with both tanks unbuttoned, facing west.

Tank 2 is to TARGET LIGHT any infantry uncovered by the scouts or TARGET any Tanks or AT guns uncovered. It can move forward up to 100m to assist the scout tanks or get a better view on a target if needed but otherwise stays put. Prioritize any AT threats and then whichever enemy is putting out the most fire.

Tank 1 is to move to any tank battle that occurs and engage from behind the other friendlies involved but otherwise is to stay put as a reserve for the moment.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Regiment standing orders to all platoon commanders

Use space

Bunching up will get a lot of people suppressed and killed with little German effort. One of the major reasons of taking Boris in the first place is to get more space for ourselves. Put 25 meters between squads and 50 between platoons. That way you aren't a good target.

Avoid lining up. Bullets flying over the first target may still hit the second if it's directly behind. We fight side by side, not in a queue.

Forests aren't hard cover

Forests are soft cover. They make you harder to spot. Recon should use forests, brush and other terrain features to not be seen and thus not get shot at.

For combat forces the forests are not as useful. Forests will not protect you after shooting starts. Only buildings, ridges and other hard cover will. It is more important to spread out than to get everyone into the woods.

That is all.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

recon in red sappers in purple. Quick command for the first 100 meters move after that. keep the two platoons 100 meters apart, keep the squads in the platoon 40 meters apart.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
T-70 Platoon
Be patient, we're trying our best.

Due to heavy drinking on the road march enemy action I am unable to present a detailed map today. My apologies to Comrade Inputter Abongination. Deploy my tanks per the yellow line, with one at the far right end and one in the centre. Remain turned in and do not move. If friendly units spot enemy targets area target them at your discretion.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

3rd Platoon + SMG Platoon + Friends

First, a legend.

Now, the orders picture.

Units advance from the deployment zone, as close as we can get to our destinations. Use a non-tiring move type.

The Big Black Arrow is how the split-squad rifle and the AT team are to move toward the forward positions, using the trees as (scanty) cover. The field has a fence. Please jump the fence if the game supports it. If the pixelmen have to be dumb goobers go around the northwest corner, not the southeast.

The Thin Pink Line and Arc indicate the area i want to have visible for the MGs. I'd like to be able to shoot the entire ridgeline, roughly following the pink arc, so i'll need the westernmost MG to be positioned so that it can see down the pink line to the river edge if possible.

Overall HQ (i think this exists?) and SMGs stay more or less behind the trees (if there's a slight hill, as it seems there might be, you can put them behind the crest in the trees), waiting for future advances and hopefully not dying.

AT guns should be placed so they can fire downhill if possible, but these are the lowest priority guns to get in positions that can see the enemy. because they suck. probably.

And finally, the one unsplit rifle squad should be in a position to the west of the MGs that has the best possible range of fire.

I tried to spread people and put HQs within 'shouting distance' of their command. The forest feels kind of crowded, but I don't have a good sense of space - please keep necessary space when possible.

i still don't know what the relevant distances are for HQs, but someone told me the squares in the map i used are 8m x 8m. 8*√2 = 11.3, so 3 straight or 2 diagonal squares should be enough-ish. from what i can see, i'm a little tight with some of the HQs, but it looks like the scouts and the forward-facing 2 MGs and rifle are spaced OK. we'll see.

I'll be around at least the next few hours to make picture edits, and I should be able to make text edits by phone until the deadline.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Jaguars! posted:

2nd Tank Platoon

Start with both tanks unbuttoned, facing west.

Tank 2 is to TARGET LIGHT any infantry uncovered by the scouts or TARGET any Tanks or AT guns uncovered. It can move forward up to 100m to assist the scout tanks or get a better view on a target if needed but otherwise stays put. Prioritize any AT threats and then whichever enemy is putting out the most fire.

Tank 1 is to move to any tank battle that occurs and engage from behind the other friendlies involved but otherwise is to stay put as a reserve for the moment.

Hey Jags, if possible I'd like the tanks to stay together—that means deploying them both on the frontline, and, preferably, up north alongside chitoryu12. If you're amenable to the deployment plan, I'd like you to adjust your orders, but I'm not going to force you if you don't want to.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

Second Platoon, Second Squadron Stand-in Orders:

If Habeasdorkus doesn't show up, these are the orders for their platoon.
Deployment:

2 Troop will deploy along the yellow line, with the SMG platoon at the north end and rifle platoon at the south end.

Movement

The Troop will then move forward to the yellow line in this image, keeping dispersed to prevent the platoon being disrupted by any artillery fire. The SMG platoon will stay at the north end of the line, rifles again to the south. Once at the line, they will face west and seek cover.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey Jags, if possible I'd like the tanks to stay together—that means deploying them both on the frontline, and, preferably, up north alongside chitoryu12. If you're amenable to the deployment plan, I'd like you to adjust your orders, but I'm not going to force you if you don't want to.

Frankly, I don't see any point in parking wheel-to-wheel unless we are expecting a heavy tank in that specific area (In which case, #1 will arrive there after a minute or two as per orders). I've checked out position #2 to my satisfaction and it's reasonably well screened from Boris (Except perhaps the very northern tip of the area), and the area south of the river. On the other hand, it has an excellent alternate view of the far side of the river and in many cases will form a crossfire with Chitoryu's tanks. So I'm satisfied that it'll fill the role of killing anyone who might delay the recon and is reasonably safe from serious AT danger. If not, well that's on me.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 13, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

any last thoughts before we hit the deadline? I guess everything's set up as best as possible

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Randomcheese3 posted:

Just a couple of comments here. Firstly, there's no need to rush - you'll tire your men out for the actual assault. Secondly, could you spread your men out more. If the Germans start mortaring your position, or shelling it with tanks, you will lose a lot of men as you are now. Spread out to the north. Your men will be fine in the open (I doubt there's much that will be able to bring them under fire, anyway).

If there is still time before the deadline I'd like to take a few of these and Hob's suggestions. I'm still getting a hang of the scale of the map and I wasn't quite sure how long this march would take or the size of the forests.

To that end, Orders Addendum if time:

2nd Squadron, 1 Troop will follow the same path as earlier but moving at a normal pace. The machine guns I would still like placed in the woods for a little concealment and but the infantry squads behind, with 50 meters between units if possible. The AT section can still hide in the woods and hold fire.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
We're attempting to set up Roll20. Anyone who had trouble with ranges and distances should log in once it's done. There's a ruler which is supremely convenient in figuring this stuff out.

--

Just to keep it in one post, collected:

Optimum ranges for weapons

Hand grenades, satchels <25m
SMG 50-100m
Rifle 150m
Machine gun 300m
Soviet tank guns 500m
German tank guns 1000-2000m

Mortars are a special case. One battery can fire a line target of 200-250 meters with 4 tubes. This is mostly important in smoking an approach. For pinning or destroying targets its better to pick a smaller target for maximum effect. If it's worth shooting at, it's worth shooting at a lot.

Optimum spacing for units

25m between squads
50m between platooons

One platoon should occupy a frontage of 100-150 meters. One company should occupy a frontage of 300-500 meters.

Use terrain as cover for units in rear. Depressions work best. If that is not possible, have at least 50 meter distance to the troops in front of you so one machine gun burst doesn't strike two squads.

Movement speed

Infantry

20-25 seconds to run 100 meters at full speed
30-40 seconds to walk 100 meters at comfortable pace
One minute to crawl 100 meters

If you are being shot at your speed drops to ~10 meters per minute. Infantry is very hard to maneuver when taking fire. Whatever movement you do, you must plan and execute it before coming under fire.

Only ever crawl if you are drawing fire and have to move. Run in short bursts. As long as you have a minute of rest you can run short distances very comfortably. Only ever walk (read: march) if you are certain you will not draw fire.

Vehicles

Vehicles move at their own rated speeds. At short ranges acknowledgement of order and acceleration take more time than actual travel. Adjust accordingly.

If not sure, always move vehicles at full speed. Vehicles are not slowed down by enemy fire until their tracks are shot or dead. Thus fastest speed is always the safest. Vehicles are not stabilized so they will either not fire on the move or fire very inaccurately. The old adage says vehicles only have two speeds: full speed and full stop.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Roll20 linkie: https://app.roll20.net/join/4524628/bOrxDA

Let me know if there's any problem.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Turn 1 (click the flag)

Next orders will be due in 48 hours but hopefully less as there's not a whole lot to change.

There's been some discussions on discord as to the best way to frame our orders to be able to react to things happening mid turn. From this point on game turns will be running for three minutes with myself and the German inputter having the opportunity to make minor changes before each minute. These changes must be reflected in your initial orders however, they are your troops and you command them. Hob has written up some notes on this which I'm sure he will post later on today or tomorrow.

Randomcheese3 I mildly screwed up deployment for 2nd Squadron command assets so my bad. Your Squadron HQ is in the right place but both the AT and MG Platoon HQ's are in the southern forest on the east side.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 14, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I discussed order-writing some in the OP of the main thread. I recommend talking in terms of intentions and goals rather than explicit in-game commands cause then your inputter has flexibility. That doesn’t necessarily mean a list of specific if-then conditionals. Just try to get across the idea of what you have in mind. I’m not super picky about this; the purpose of the inputters is to make things easier on the players, and if that’s happening then I’m happy.

Just remember that you can write your orders however you want, but the inputter is ultimately bound to the will of the players, and your orders are how you express your will. If you express it by just drawing movement lines on a map as in Grey’s matches, then expect your inputter to execute it like Grey would.

And if you want to set some standing orders for your dudes that will apply every round, that’s totally fine. Anything you want to post in the thread as official orders is fair game.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due:
Monday, April 15 at 8PM EDT
Tuesday, April 16 at midnight (0:00) GMT
Tuesday, April 16 at 8AM AWST

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Abongination posted:

Turn 1 (click the flag)

Next orders will be due in 48 hours but hopefully less as there's not a whole lot to change.

thanks! no changes i can see to mine, it looked like they were all going through the airplane woods with the rest of the russian horde

you should make your voice-over audio a lot louder btw, at least for me i couldn't get it up to my preferred volume. it's dealable with as is, though

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

in fact i have a quick modification

1st Cavalry Squadron: 3rd Platoon + SMG Platoon + Friends

Soldiers,

I understand you have been advancing at a reasonable pace. I intuit [from discord] that the Germans will try to kill you as you cross the open space in front of you. I suspect they will use bullets.

Sprint across the clear space around the road. Return to your reasonable pace when you get back to cover.

Scouts heading toward the front forest CONTINUE sprinting as long as you are in open space. Once you reach the forest, find the best cover you can and see what you can see.

Otherwise your orders remain the same:

-MGs and one Rifle set up on the edge of cover.
-MGs achieve spotting across the entire forested ridge containing Tanya and Natasha, fire on spotted Germans.
-Rifles spot as much as they can staying 25m west of the MG, fire on spotted Germans
-It's beyond recommended ranges - unsure if they can shoot that far. IF a squad takes fire and can't return it THEN pull back into the forest until it's safe.

-split Rifle squad and one AT get in cover and scout from the forward forest

-other ATs find shooting positions in the back forest behind the MGs and one Rifle if possible, otherwise stay out of trouble
-SMGs stay out of trouble where they can't get hurt

-at least 25m between squads/teams
-HQs should be ~40m-ish behind their subordinates, wherever shouting range starts

Regards,
otf

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 14, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Style guide to orders

We are playing a system where you can give some leeway to Abongination during the execution of the turns to react to unexpected things.

In short

- Put your bottom line up front. Get straight to the point.
- Be clear. Explain your reasoning after the actual order.
- Use active voice. NOT "Units in the house will be targeted by HMG #1..." BUT "HMG #1 will target house..."

Things that you are allowed to incorporate into your orders:

- priorities (target AT guns first, then machine guns, then infantry, then...)
- sequential orders (move along the line drawn on map until you have LOS to enemy squad, then take cover, then put area fire on house)
- relative orders (shoot at nearest target, whoever is closest advances to the house, move as fast as the men are able)

Things you are not allowed to incorporate into your orders:

- you are not allowed to write a list of if-then sentences to cover every possible thing that may happen during a turn.
- you are not allowed to give vague qualifiers (if possible, if practicable, if it looks like a good idea etc.) If you're not sure about something, ask beforehand.

Examples

Example order that is fine:

Rifle platoon: will move to contact and start suppressing enemy targets. Move forward towards points marked on map until being shot at. Then return fire immediately with the unit that is being shot at. Other units stop movement and take cover. Start shooting at enemy contacts in Boris, then Tanya, then Natasha. Prioritize enemy machine guns.

SMG platoon: will take position in houses. Move in the closest houses at fastest possible speed. Do not stop for any reason until inside. Squad 1 target nearest enemy contact, squad 2 targets enemy AT gun until dead and then enemy units within 50 meters that are shooting back.

Example order that is a total mess:

Rifle platoon: Move towards points marked at map. If you take fire, return fire or take cover if possible. If targets in Boris or Tanya pop up, shoot at those first, then targets in Natasha. If you see machine guns shoot at those first.

SMG platoon: If practicable, move towards closest houses. If you see enemy squads close, shoot at them first unless AT gun is still alive. Shoot at that with squad 2. Try to do as much damage as possible.

In theory both sets of orders cover the same situation. In practice the second set is vague and it is very hard to know what should be done in some cases. What should happen if a machine gun pops up inside Natasha while there still are targets in Boris? Should SMG platoon move to the houses if they are still taking sporadic fire? What does "as much damage as possible" mean?

--

There are also a few other reasons for writing orders after this fashion.

Clarity

It should always be clear what you want to happen. If you want your troops to react to things inside a turn, write the orders so that it is always clear what you want to happen. It is command responsibility to think what the order of things is once something forces you to react. Nothing is more aggravating than seeing your orders misinterpreted by our inputter. It's on you to make sure the orders are crystal clear.

Decisiveness

Giving orders means telling what you want done. You can ask for one thing to be done at a time. Concentrate on the most important thing and order your troops to do that. Having a large set of conditionals is not ordering anything, it's a wishlist. You'll have no control over what happens and it makes things harder not only to yourself but to all your teammates who now aren't sure what you are going to do.

Because that's how the big boys do it

If you want to check out the army writing style, you can start with these links. They are mostly light reading.

If you only read one thing, read 3-1 from this:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/army/p600_67.pdf

The rest are mostly more of the same, included just because I thought they were interesting or fun.

https://www.jmu.edu/uwc/tutor-resources/MSL202L15%20Writing%20in%20the%20Army%20Style.pdf
https://www.imcomacademy.com/RMT/ArmyWriting.pdf
[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fjSTZMpMTtMJ:https://usacac.army.mil/cac2/wocc/armywritingstyle.asp&hl=en&gl=fi&strip=1&vwsrc=0[/url]

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 14, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Regimental orders

1 Squadron: No changes to orders. Be careful around the road.
2 Squadron: No changes to orders. Give covering fire while SWAT advances and captures the trench system.

SWAT: Advance and destroy the Germans we located. Take over the trenches and use them against Germans.

Armor: Target and destroy the enemy positions with massed HE and machine gun fire. Support SWAT crossing and advancing on German positions.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

2nd Armoured

TARGET LIGHT on the spotted unit.Target briefly based on the pattern Ace described. You can creep forward up to 100m to gain line of sight. If the enemy disappears or can't be targetted, fire on any part of the trench system instead.

I figured Abong would do it anyway, but just to be absolutely clear, Standing Order: New AT threats are to be targeted as soon as possible regardless of prior oders.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 16, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tank 1st Company, 1st Platoon - "The Fighting Butylki

Target Briefly spotted enemy units while continuing previous movement.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 17, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

First Squadron ("Snezhinka")

Our mission has not changed; we are still tasked with scouting and suppressing Tanya and Natasha if necessary. Updates to squadron orders based on the current situation:
  • Forest nearest the river is designated VLAD, and the initial forest we're setting up in is designated MIKHAIL. Deployment forest is designated Trakhni.
  • All units are to move as quickly as possible across the road or any other exposed space (for example, between the forests, for the units sent to scout the forest near the river).
  • Do not "stack" units one behind the other; stagger them so fire into the front of one unit doesn't also pass through a unit behind it. Sometimes you can't avoid this, but please make every effort.
  • When moving in the vicinity of the enemy, please use bounding movements with your units where possible. This means one platoon provides cover fire while the other moves to a forward position, ideally one covered or concealed. Once the first platoon is in place, the second bounds ahead of it with the first providing covering fire.

quote:

oystertoadfish: Please hold your scout teams in MIKHAIL until the other platoon can get set facing the west (Boris, generally). The MGs should still push toward the south edge of MIKHAIL in preparation for suppressing Tanya/Natasha.

quote:

koolkevz: Your orders are unchanged except for the general modifications above.

quote:

HQ units: Move to vicinity of area AL'FA, as concealed as possible from German forces across the river. When oystertoadfish's units are in place (positioned and ready to fire on area across the river if necessary), move as fast as possible directly across the road into MIKHAIL, pushing into the edge of the woods to provide concealment; spread out as much as possible along the woodline.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 15, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Well dang, I had thought tonight was the deadline for first turns. The orders were about the same, regardless.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Armor Command

Jaguars, get your HQ tank up to a firing position, through the woods if you have to, and don't move your second tank any closer to the river until infantry has had a chance to get closer. Don't bother with a Target Light and don't put anything more than a target briefly order on the entrenched position—there's two T-70s right alongside that tank that are going to be shooting anyway, and I want the 85s unburdened by target orders if a tank or an AT gun appear near the start of a turn before their orders can be adjusted.

chitoryu12 make sure to give Abong direct orders to have your T-34s target spotted German positions threatening the SWAT force if they can, but make sure they're "Target Briefly" Commands.

FrangibleCover, start spraying down that trench line. Try to give the entire area a good hosing, keep their heads down while our infantry moves up and we continue to scout the area. Just be sure to make Abong know that, if spotted, enemy AT assets are our highest priority—so if an ATG gets spotted within LoS, I want that to start eating 45mm rounds and not some random infantryman with a Kar 98.

e: On reflection, Jags and chitoryu, as every one of your tanks currently has LoS on at least some portion of the trench, I want both of you to give at least 15-30 seconds of fire on those trenches at the start of next turn. Let's get their heads down, and give our infantry some breathing room.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 15, 2019

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Just added in every unit to Roll20 and now I am a broken husk of a man. It'll look like less of a clusterfuck once we manage to spread out.

Roll20 Link is here! >>>>> https://app.roll20.net/join/4524628/bOrxDA <<<<<

---------------------------------------------------------

Everyone spread out!

Try to keep at least one unit stationary in a good spot to cover the others as you move your men forward, this doesn't need to be one of your units so keep an eye on where other commanders are moving men and coordinate. We will def need men facing potential points of contact as the rest amble towards their destinations so don't just draw a line on a map and say "move here"

While we're on orders -

You don't need to know the game that well to order your little pixelmen around now thanks to Fray's adaption to the game mode. You can give me orders that state your intention and purpose clearly and I can translate that into game turns for you! I know Hob is getting antsy about "if" orders but please use them if you think it will help broadcast your intentions to me in a clearer manner.

Example :

Inf Platoon Commander posted:

Intention:

My Platoon will be moving up to the indicated wood (square drawn on map) to get eyes and firing positions facing the south west. Part of the platoon will be advancing quicker then the rest, scouting to draw fire and suss out enemy positions while the rest follow behind them.

1st Platoon Orders:

1st Squad will split into two teams and advanced rapidly towards the wood marked in the square I've drawn, the squads keeping a safe spacing between them and using cover where applicable.

2nd Squad will remain as a single unit and they and 1st Platoon HQ will follow behind 1st Squad at a more sedate pace after a short pause.

Should either team draw fire they are to either return fire if in a safe position to do so otherwise bound forward while covering each-other.

Once they reach the forest marked by the square the entire platoon is to spread out covering the south west with the HQ behind and within command distance of all units. 2nd Squad will break into two teams upon arrival at the wood

Abongination fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 15, 2019

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

1st Squadron, 1st Platoon

Movement:

All squads are to move forward across the open ground using Quick to the wooded area opposite our deployment zone, if the squads are able to reach the wooded area before the turn is over they are to position themselves with the MG and AT squad in the back with the two rifle squads in front and both squads are to split off a scout team each who are to use Slow to move up to the edge of the wood and recon what is ahead.

The other platoon under my command is to move up to behind the wood but not inside as a sort of tactical reserve force. Sorry for no arrows for this platoon but its late and I need sleep.

Maintain these orders for now until/or if I update them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
As a heads-up, Abong noticed while chatting on Discord that the Germans have wire placed around the north and central fords:

Also, in case my tankers missed my edit:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e: On reflection, Jags and chitoryu, as every one of your tanks currently has LoS on at least some portion of the trench, I want both of you to give at least 15-30 seconds of fire on those trenches at the start of next turn. Let's get their heads down, and give our infantry some breathing room.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Comrades! The enemy have been spotted in the first minute! A commendment to our comrades in the reconnaissance forces for their prompt identification of Fascist positions.

Take the enemy positions under fire with the 45mm cannons, one trench per tank. Move the area target to a different part of the positions every turn and target in the following order:

- Known or suspected Anti Tank Weapons (use both tanks against spotted AT weapons)
- Known vehicles
- Known heavy weapons, including squad level machine guns
- Known groups of enemy infantry
- Suspected heavy weapons
- Suspected enemy positions

Don't let up firing! Smash them!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
e: Lenisto posted orders, disregard this

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 16, 2019

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

2nd Squadron Orders

Lenisto - Set up the HMGs attached to your troop to cover your advance. The rest of your platoon should advance to contact; if fired upon, you should return fire.

HabeasDorkus - Continue moving into position; be ready to advance over Ford Vodka if needed.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Extending 24 hours for inputters. We'll try again at the same time tomorrow.

Orders are now due:
Tuesday, April 16 at 8PM EDT
Wednesday, April 17 at midnight (0:00) GMT
Wednesday, April 17 at 8AM AWST

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Army selfie

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 1st and 2nd Platoons

Turn goal: Our infantry will continue advancing under cover of the machine guns to a point where they can cover the units heading to the ford.

To that end: both HMGs should immediately halt and set up facing towards the trenches and Boris.
1st and 2nd Platoons continue moving west with ~50m between them to get better sight on the trenches and join the tanks in suppressing the German troops in those woods. If either of them receive fire they both are to halt and return fire.
The AT section should continue on their previous path and stay in the Trakhni woods.

Lenisto fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 16, 2019

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

Lenisto posted:

2nd Squadron, 1st and 2nd Platoons

Our infantry will continue advancing under cover of the machine guns.

To that end: both HMGs should immediately halt and set up facing towards the trenches and Boris.
1st and 2nd Platoons continue moving west with ~50m between them to get better sight on the trenches. If they receive fire they are to halt and return fire.
The AT section should continue on their previous path and stay in the Trakhni woods.

Could you clarify your conditional order for 1st and 2nd Platoons - just make it more clear who's meant to do what when they receive fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

2nd Squadron, 3rd Platoon, Red Storm, & 2nd AT Section

Legend:
Yellow: 3rd Cavalry Platoon
Red: SMG Platoon
Blue: 2nd AT Section Detachment
Green: I think that's the AT detachment's HQ.

* All elements are to advance FAST for 1 minute or until they're in position at the edge of the woods, after 1 minute if they're not there in time move NORMAL until they reach their waypoints at the edge of the forest.
* Units are to move spreading out and occupying their line. NOTE FOR INPUTTER: Spacing is more important than perfectly conforming to the area they've been given to cover, I don't want a mortar or lucky hit killing half a squad.
* Once they reach the waypoint, 3rd Platoon and AT section are to provide covering fire.
* SMG platoon is to have their LMGs provide cover for the overall advance, while the SMG only squads are to keep their heads down as they probably can't hit poo poo from that range.

e: deleted part two, updated part one as I misread my orders from the CO. What is he doing writing in Ukrainian, anyways!?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 17, 2019