Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
T-34s are gonna be real popular I bet :v: I'd like to command the platoon if possible, but I'll leave that up to the CiC who they want in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Orders Spreadsheet! Sign up for units while the getting's good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hob_Gadling posted:

Since in a time-honored communist fashion I was voted to lead this circus, please everyone reply to this post and let me know how experienced you are with this game format. I recognize some names but not all. Newcomers have a priority pick in the unit selection.

We have the following commands available.

Command roles

1st Squadron commander
2nd Squadron commander
Armor commander

These three people will be mainly leading other goons, with weapons platoons under their direct command until attached to one of their platoon commanders. Armor commander gets to run T-70.

1st Squadron platoon leader 1
1st Squadron platoon leader 2

2nd Squadron platoon leader 1
2nd Squadron platoon leader 2

T-34 team commander 1
T-34 team commander 2

Special weapons and tactics platoon leader

Since armor is so requested, I'm splitting the tanks into two separate commands of two tanks each.

Infantry command gets either 2 Cavalry platoons or a Cavalry platoon and SMG platoon. It is also very likely your squadron commander will give you the command of one or more heavy weapons during the fight.

Special weapons and tactics platoon consists of recon and sapper platoon. Our success or failure very likely depends on this person, so if you want the worst job here it is.

Putting myself down for Tank Company Command unless anyone wants it more or has objections.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Preliminary Armor Plan

Overview:

Our part of the plan is simple: To support the infantry without exposing ourselves to the primary German line of defense until the SWAT forces under dtkozl reach objective Boris. Thus, for the first part of the mission, we'll be focusing on supporting the SWAT forces to ensure they reach their objective.

Deployment:

(Note: All movement markers and position markers are extremely general, don't feel like you have to take these maps as gospel).

T-70 platoon under FrangibleCover deploys roughly along the yellow line, while the T-34s under Flavius Aetass and chitoryu12 will move along the dotted green line to, roughly, the area of the solid green line. The intention here is to target and suppress any German troops that fire upon the SWAT forces as they make their way to the ford (Potential positions being indicated by the red Xs).

Subsequent movements:

After the SWAT force makes the crossing, our tanks will begin moving to continue to provide covering fire. We'll want to make sure we can provide suppressive fire against German targets in both the riverfront and rear treelines, to ensure that the SWAT force can cross over open ground safely.

Once dtkozl reaches Boris, we'll be shifting to support the main assault. FrangibleCover is authorized to cross the ford with his T-70s to help continue to provide support to dtkozl, while the T-34s under Flavius Aetass and chitoryu12 will proceed to support the attack on Tanya and Natasha. Once these objectives are taken, we'll assess the situation and confer with our infantry commanders on how to best support the assault on the town itself.

Risks:

The primary threat to our armor will be from enemy armor and AT guns, as the river is wide enough that portable AT weapons shouldn't be a concern (Not to say it isn't-always double check ranges on movement orders to ensure you're not getting too close to unsecured areas). To deter the threat of AT guns, ensure that your tanks begin moving only after supporting infantry has a chance to get eyes on the area. Should AT weapons be detected, we can move our tanks collectively to suppress and area target spotted positions, or utilize artillery support. (Each of your platoon HQ tanks has the ability to spot for mortars).

If an enemy tank is detected, we'll play it cautiously. An enemy tank in our sector is an enemy tank that's not helping to defend the town, so we don't have to rush ourselves to try and take it out. We don't have a ton of room to maneuver, so make sure that if an enemy tank is spotted, your tanks are positioned well enough together that all of our guns will be fire before they can get their first shot off.

If anyone has any questions, objections, or wants to know more (Screenshots, terrain questions, etc), feel free to ask.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flavius Aetass posted:

How many tanks can fit abreast in that gap, and do we need to leave room for infantry to pass?

It's a tad cozy, but they should all be alright.

For reference:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jaguars! posted:

2nd Tank Platoon

Start with both tanks unbuttoned, facing west.

Tank 2 is to TARGET LIGHT any infantry uncovered by the scouts or TARGET any Tanks or AT guns uncovered. It can move forward up to 100m to assist the scout tanks or get a better view on a target if needed but otherwise stays put. Prioritize any AT threats and then whichever enemy is putting out the most fire.

Tank 1 is to move to any tank battle that occurs and engage from behind the other friendlies involved but otherwise is to stay put as a reserve for the moment.

Hey Jags, if possible I'd like the tanks to stay together—that means deploying them both on the frontline, and, preferably, up north alongside chitoryu12. If you're amenable to the deployment plan, I'd like you to adjust your orders, but I'm not going to force you if you don't want to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Armor Command

Jaguars, get your HQ tank up to a firing position, through the woods if you have to, and don't move your second tank any closer to the river until infantry has had a chance to get closer. Don't bother with a Target Light and don't put anything more than a target briefly order on the entrenched position—there's two T-70s right alongside that tank that are going to be shooting anyway, and I want the 85s unburdened by target orders if a tank or an AT gun appear near the start of a turn before their orders can be adjusted.

chitoryu12 make sure to give Abong direct orders to have your T-34s target spotted German positions threatening the SWAT force if they can, but make sure they're "Target Briefly" Commands.

FrangibleCover, start spraying down that trench line. Try to give the entire area a good hosing, keep their heads down while our infantry moves up and we continue to scout the area. Just be sure to make Abong know that, if spotted, enemy AT assets are our highest priority—so if an ATG gets spotted within LoS, I want that to start eating 45mm rounds and not some random infantryman with a Kar 98.

e: On reflection, Jags and chitoryu, as every one of your tanks currently has LoS on at least some portion of the trench, I want both of you to give at least 15-30 seconds of fire on those trenches at the start of next turn. Let's get their heads down, and give our infantry some breathing room.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 15, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As a heads-up, Abong noticed while chatting on Discord that the Germans have wire placed around the north and central fords:

Also, in case my tankers missed my edit:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e: On reflection, Jags and chitoryu, as every one of your tanks currently has LoS on at least some portion of the trench, I want both of you to give at least 15-30 seconds of fire on those trenches at the start of next turn. Let's get their heads down, and give our infantry some breathing room.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jaguars! posted:

Alright ace, I've got two options for breaking contact as I see it, the north one takes longer to get out of sight but keeps the armour facing forward, the second one gets trees between me and the tiger quicker but involves a neutral turn at the start that'll expose side armour (though at an acute angle so decent chance of a ricochet). Any thoughts on which is the better option would be helpful. Once contact is broken then we need to decide where to regroup, I could head north, south or the lower arrow is a nice deep position that has a field of view out to the north arm of the forest.

The south tank will have a go at the infantry it's sighted, I may head back behind the forest in the third minute to stop the germans planning around it since the infantry will probably be gone by then.

Back out to the south and regroup with your other T-34-85. Get both tanks to a position where they can threaten the Tiger if it attempts to move up to engage Chitoryu's tanks. Let me know if you need LoS checks or screenshots.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For my own sanity I came up with a map with more place names, they're terrible since I mainly looked them up on the Zelda Wiki but at least it's a reference. I'll update the Roll20 with them when I have time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jaguars! posted:

Tank platoon 2

North Tank
Having had a decent study of the situation, I'm pretty sure this guy's best chance of survival is to throw a couple of rounds before retreating. Unbutton, set an Anti-Armour arc that covers a good 100m beyond and to the sides of the tiger. Wait 30s. Then reverse as per the map, I want to minimize time spent stopping and turning and try to keep the armour facing front on but obviously that's not going to be perfect so do what you can. Once out of the woods add a few little wiggles so that it's not on a constant bearing. Give plenty of room for a wide turn once beyond the forest, and head for the RV point at a decent speed. The arc can be cancelled after the first minute.

Jaguars, absolutely do not do this. The forest is an rear end for navigation, you have to turn since the wrecked T-70 is partially behind you anyway, and you'll remain in spotty LoS of the Tiger for longer than if you'd just turned and backed out to the south like Frangible is doing. Also in no way should you even try to engage that Tiger by yourself, you need to extract from the position immediately and wait until your tanks are linked back up before we try and take a shot at it.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 19, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Quick and general tank orders:

Chitoryu: you are murdering them and murdering them good. You've burned through about half your HE ammo by this point, so keep that in mind if you want to use Target orders, as you can try and use Target Light orders instead to use your MGs. Continue covering SWAT and continue blasting the gently caress out of the plethora of soft targets the Germans have presented us with.

FrangibleCover: As we discussed in the discord I'd prefer for you to fall back to join up with Chitoryu, but you do have a good position to hit German targets so use your discretion. My only straight order is that if an AT gun is sighted, skedaddle out of sight immediately and do not try and fight it. Single tanks versus AT guns is not a fight that typically goes well for the tanks.

Jaguars: I want your HQ tank up north with Chitoryu's tanks for a couple of reasons. First, it's a great position, and the Germans have presented us with a wonderful buffet of soft targets to feast upon. Second, hard-earned experience has taught me that no matter how good a position may seem, a single tank is always at risk of losing a 1v1 duel with no chance for retaliation. As such, I want all of our remaining T-34s together, both for whenever the Tiger decides to show up, and in case they run into any more AT guns. Since you're away this turn, I'll ask either Chitoryu or FrangibleCover to make the order, and if neither of them can I'll put it together myself.

Sound good? Sounds good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

T-70:

Target Briefly the Germans beside the trench, like so:

Afterwards, move QUICK to Mikhail? Woodfall? Whatever we're calling it now, and TARGET known the German positions to the south for the rest of the turn.

After the first turn, continue to use Target Briefly orders to hit German positions for 30 seconds at a time, should they remain there. Should any AT guns be spotted within LoS, the T-70 should Reverse to get out of the way, unless that would mean backing into LoS of the Tiger. Should that unlikely scenario occur, Target the AT and hope for the best.

T-34s (Contingency Orders)

Target Briefly the German infantry at your discretion, 30 seconds at a time. On the off chance the Tiger starts moving in their direction and appears to be within a minute of engaging them, cancel target orders and draw up Target Armor Arcs to cover the Tiger's likely approach. (I don't think they'd move the Tiger so aggressively and stupidly like that, but you never know).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Quick and dirty tank orders since I'm traveling and reduced to phone posting:

chitoryu, withdraw to the east and get your tanks south to where the T-70 is sitting. Start putting fire on German positions and help 1st Squadron get across the field safely.

Jaguars, do the same, but pause for half a minute or so to dump some HE into Runner Woods as a parting gift.

T-70, continue targeting German contacts.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ORDERS:

Advance and kill the Tiger. This is what you're both already doing, and I commend you for your forethought!

Chit, confer with Abong on Discord regarding the specifics of your approach. Make sure you're happy with how Abong is going to interpret your post, and whether you want to use HUNT orders or armor arcs.

Jags, Abong has also noted that your tank will be able to engage the Tiger far quicker if you go directly west, through the gap in the forest, as opposed to your current route south. To ensure each tank reaches engagement range as quickly as possible, change your orders and hit that gap.

Once the Tiger is defeated or falls back, your tanks are to move to assist 1st Squadron's assault. Both of you, write out some additional orders to move your tanks and get HE into Natasha and Tanya as soon as the Tiger is no longer an immediate threat.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 28, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Last minute T-70 orders: Drive out from beside the forest to provide more accurate fire on enemy positions to help support 1st Squadron.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Chitoryu, stop in place and open up on German targets, particularly the HMGs and mortars. I know this goes against what Hob wants, to target the infantry crossing the ford, but the lines of sight needed to accomplish that order are awful, and there are far more important targets directly in front of us that we can hit to help out 1st Squadron.

Jaguars, in case the Tiger pops forward again, I want you to act as a deterrent. I want you to put your T-34 in a place where, if the Tiger moves forward—either to hit our tanks from the flank or to engage our infantry—you'll have the chance to put a shot in. I'm thinking somewhere along the Great Goron Road or by the T-70's current position could be useful for this, but give me some ideas and feedback on where you think your tank will best be able to catch the Tiger if needed.

koolkevz666, you want the T-70 to hit the units in the swamp? Shouldn't be a problem. It should be able to hit that central patch of woods already without moving, as well as some of the other sound contacts. So:

T-70: Target German contacts in the Swamp area, and any other contacts that attempt to put fire on the units crossing the open field.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For all the disagreements, I think we're still in a fairly solid position, and we can win this game pretty easily so long as we're able to generate a methodical, supported advance. Unfortunately, while I'm willing to take the CiC job, I just started a new job and I'll be pretty busy this week and the next (And not availible at all this weekend, most likely). I'll still be free most evenings, so I can still probably do the job, but if someone else with more free time is willing to take up the mantle then I'll throw my hat to them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lenisto posted:

2nd Squadron
I clearly purposefully forgot about the surviving troops in that platoon to give them time to mourn their comrades. But the time has come for all the infantry and the AT rifle troops to meet up with the SMG and SWAT teams and help clear Runner Wood and Boris. They should proceed cautiously towards the ford and cross over.

To the south lies only death.

Hopefully this will be the last turn those MGs need to remain where they are but they should continue throwing lead into those woods.

So, I've got some concerns. This is way outside my chain of command, so Lenisto and Random, feel free to ignore me, but:

So as of this point, we've got a pretty hefty force on the west side of the river. All told we've got four platoons over there that are mostly in good shape-the AT platoon, the SMG platoon clearing Runner, the Recon Platoon, and the Sappers. Given the position of the Tiger, it makes sense for these forces to clear the dick/ball woods and head west, hugging the edge of the map until they can head over to the far southwestern ford, where they can potentially cross under the cover of smoke and then threaten the town from the west, without taking fire from the Tiger (Which I can keep pinned to roughly its current position using my tanks, unless it wants to eat an 85mm AP shell to the side).

In the southeast, however, we've got a manpower problem. While I can bring a significant amount of force to bear on the defending Germans around the Swamp, Natasha, and Tanya with my armor, 1st Squadron has been very badly shot up and really only has a single healthy platoon left-the one currently working its way towards the swamp. So while it should be now possible for our troops to effectively walk into the town from the south, using Natasha or smoke to cover themselves from the Tiger's LoS, we've got a dearth of forces in the area capable of doing so... except Lenisto's.

So, ~IN MY OPINION~, it would probably be a good idea to send Lenisto's platoons and the various other scattered forces in that area to circle around to the southeast, meet up with 1st Squadron, 1st Platoon, and send the combined forces across the field and into Natasha under the cover of my guns. From there, we can circle some armor around Natasha outside the Tiger's LoS, and, combined with SWAT and 2nd Squadron's SMG platoon, threaten the town from two directions that the Tiger can't do a drat thing about unless it wants to risk eating a side shot from our tanks. This way we can maximize our remaining manpower while leveraging our remaining supporting firepower, and use the terrain around the village against the Germans.

In short, basically reorient our forces to do something like this:

e: also we should really do something with those 2nd Squadron support assets hanging around near our spawn, don't want them to just sit around doing nothing for the rest of the game.

Double Edit: Also this should go for everyone, general tactical advice: Moving units somewhere just means they're in a different physical position, and due to how wonky line of sight can be might not mean they'll actually shoot what you want them to shoot. Be sure to give Abong the tactical flexibility to make use of area fire targets, as suppression really is key. Keep the enemy's head down with your bullets, put fire on places whether or not you're sure anything is there, and only move in the open when you're sure that nothing can shoot back.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 1, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
quick orders since I'm on lunch: T-70 is to target German infantry units in Natasha, with Target Briefly orders each turn to conserve ammo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The T-70, the last remnant of my shattered command, is to back the gently caress up out of the line of fire from the Tiger.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
T-70:

FAST up to the tip of the woods, FACE south. If the Tiger appears to be on a Target Order, or is turned around and falling back, adjust orders to charge forward and take a shot at the sides of the motherfucker. If this does happen, pull back immediately the turn after firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
T-70: Back up, then drive across the ford, try not to get shot, then position by Boris to put fire on the German gunline on the north side of the town.

If the Tiger appears to be threatening to kill it at any point, try and break contact as quickly as possible.