Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Hob_Gadling posted:

Since in a time-honored communist fashion I was voted to lead this circus, please everyone reply to this post and let me know how experienced you are with this game format. I recognize some names but not all. Newcomers have a priority pick in the unit selection.

I have not played a Combat Mission or a format like this but I have a passing knowledge of WWII arms and vehicles.

Very ok with those two infantry platoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Randomcheese3 posted:

Second Squadron Orders:

Preliminaries:

Utilisation of forces: As I see it, the company's two cavalry troops are divided into a 'base of fire' troop (1 Troop, under [Lenisto) and an 'assault' troop (2nd troop, under habeasdorkus). In general, I'd recommend sticking to a methodical approach, with 1 Troop providing suppressive fire as 2 Troop approaches the location to be secured. 2 Troop can then assault and secure the position, allowing 1 Troop to move up and the process to begin again.

Movement

From the deployment positions, the troops should move forward to support dtkozl's platoon. 1 Troop should move forward to the area of the red line, and set up there, to provide fire support towards the west bank of the river and Objective Boris. I would recommend keeping a pair or so of the squadron HMGs in the forest at the south end of the line, as this offers concealment and good lines of sight towards our targets. 2 Troop should move to the yellow line, and be ready to cross the river, should dtkozl require reinforcing. Squadron HQ will move to the white dot.

If I'm understanding everything correctly then: 1 Troop are staying on this side of the river covering Boris from the direction of the field and broken bridge? While 2 Troop and SWAT toward the Vodka ford point and then head south to occupy the Boris woods.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

1st Squadron, 1st & 2nd Platoons

Both platoons, along with their two attached MG sections and the AT section, should deploy behind the airplane-shaped woods. They will rush quickly to the west, using the woods as cover but moving across open ground for speed before turning south to set up within the forest. The two yellow dots are the machine gun positions - I'm not sure exactly how wide their arcs of fire are but they should be targeting Objective Boris and the west side of the river. The green cavalry platoons will take position with them while the AT section hangs back deeper in the forest until needed.

Lenisto fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 13, 2019

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Randomcheese3 posted:

Just a couple of comments here. Firstly, there's no need to rush - you'll tire your men out for the actual assault. Secondly, could you spread your men out more. If the Germans start mortaring your position, or shelling it with tanks, you will lose a lot of men as you are now. Spread out to the north. Your men will be fine in the open (I doubt there's much that will be able to bring them under fire, anyway).

If there is still time before the deadline I'd like to take a few of these and Hob's suggestions. I'm still getting a hang of the scale of the map and I wasn't quite sure how long this march would take or the size of the forests.

To that end, Orders Addendum if time:

2nd Squadron, 1 Troop will follow the same path as earlier but moving at a normal pace. The machine guns I would still like placed in the woods for a little concealment and but the infantry squads behind, with 50 meters between units if possible. The AT section can still hide in the woods and hold fire.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 1st and 2nd Platoons

Turn goal: Our infantry will continue advancing under cover of the machine guns to a point where they can cover the units heading to the ford.

To that end: both HMGs should immediately halt and set up facing towards the trenches and Boris.
1st and 2nd Platoons continue moving west with ~50m between them to get better sight on the trenches and join the tanks in suppressing the German troops in those woods. If either of them receive fire they both are to halt and return fire.
The AT section should continue on their previous path and stay in the Trakhni woods.

Lenisto fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 16, 2019

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Randomcheese3 posted:

Could you clarify your conditional order for 1st and 2nd Platoons - just make it more clear who's meant to do what when they receive fire.

If either platoon receives fire they should both fire back. Suppressing any Germans west of the river is more important than our own movement - we need to make sure the SMG platoon and the SWAT guys can make it to the ford.

I've edited my original post also match this clarification.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 1st & 2nd Platoons

Keeping it simple this turn. The machine guns are set up and active so they should remain where they are and keep firing.

I believe it was 1st Platoon that suffered casualties? They are also to remain in place and keep firing on the cowardly Germans.

2nd Platoon (marked in red) will move out of the trees to the west until they are ~100m from the other infantry and then also halt and open fire. (The idea is to eventually have units leapfrogging each other while keeping pressure on those woods).

Can the AT rifles (marked blue) see the German 50mm guns in the southwest woods from where they are now? If not they should move south and west until they can and focus on those guns.

Sorry I've been cutting it so close to deadline with these orders!

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Randomcheese3 posted:

2nd Squadron Orders
Continue to engage German troops on the western bank.

The 2nd Squadron machine guns have had a gun run on that field between the northern forests but looks like that's clearing out. My infantry have moved up and will be firing across the river still so I'd planned on packing one of the machine guns and moving them a bit west as well so they have LOS on those woods also.

Thoughts?

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 1st & 2nd Platoon, MGs and ATs

Easy one this round: No movement and maintain fire on the west of the river. We want to do whatever we can to keep their attention off the SWAT units, prevent more Germans moving north, and get those in the trenches to put their heads down.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 1st & 2nd Platoon

Our main focus is still on targeting the trenches in Runner Wood. Infantry squads will remain where they are and maintain fire across the river.

The northern of the two attached MGs should pack up and move slightly west to be in a better position and rejoin the infantry - when they reach the end of that little outcropping of trees and have better LOS they are to re-engage the Germans. If that MG finishes moving and starts shooting before the end of the three minutes then the other MG should follow suit and also move up, staying ~50m north of the other one.

The AT section should also begin moving west to about the same longitude but if they spot any AT guns or mortar tubes they are to engage them.

(phoneposting so please excuse the lack of map)

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 2nd Platoon

1st Platoon has succeeded in their goal of distracting the Germans and leaving behind a cache of valuable equipment on the riverbank for the next wave of brave Russian soldiers!
2nd Platoon (marked in blue on the map) will begin moving south to join up with that portion of the army.
The MG squads (red) and AT squads (green) should stay where they are for now: The MGs will continue to suppress Germans while our comrades swarm those trenches from the north.
The AT rifles have LOS on the Tiger and should keep firing on it. If they can help button the commander or, best case, immobilize it in this exposed position that will help our tankers.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Updated orders from on high:
MGs still to remain and suppress Runner Wood
1st & 2nd Platoon to assemble in the woods east of the field (with 25-50m between in case those mortars return)
AT squads to remain where they are and wait for that Tiger to poke it's head out again

Lenisto fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 1, 2019

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Randomcheese3 posted:

Crossing the ford is not a good plan, and does not fit well with our strategy. For now, you're our tactical reserve. Remain roughly in position, and be prepared to either cross the ford, or move south to support 1st Squadron.

koolkevz666 posted:

Len if we had that Tiger neutralised and had the woods across the river under our control I would be okay with you going across the river however, unfortunately we haven't achieved that yet. This is going to be a boring turn for you but I need you to hold position in Mikhail for now. You are our reserve force and we will either need you to take up 1st squadrons assault if they are rendered combat ineffective the next few turns or if we can clear the other side of the river and force the tiger to die or withdraw then we may have you cross the ford and make an assault on the village then.

Haha no worries. Updated orders from on high:MGs still to remain and suppress Runner Wood
1st & 2nd Platoon to assemble in the woods east of the field (with 25-50m between in case those mortars return)
AT squads to remain where they are and wait for that Tiger to poke it's head out again

(original post edited to reflect this change as well)

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron
I think I've got the idea and we look in a decent position here in the northeast.

1st and 2nd Platoon (light blue) should hold position for the first minute and then move cautiously west to start linking up with their fellows advancing through Runner Wood. I think I marked the correct HQ units in yellow? They should start moving immediately to catch up and join the others.

The AT rifles (pink) shouldn't expose themselves yet by moving but should still take potshots at the Tiger if they can see it.

The HMGs are splitting up this turn - the one in red should spend the first minute firing on that last trench in Runner Wood. They are then to pack up and move into a position where they redeploy and start firing on Boris. The red HMG can pack up right away and will also move to cross the ford when the time comes.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Randomcheese3 posted:

2nd Squadron Orders

Our tasks have not changed; continue with your tasks.

Lenisto - Remain in reserve, and be ready to move when needed.

Makes sense. Orders are to continue as last turn: Infantry and associated HQs should continue moving to those woods, keeping some 25-50m between in case there are any mortar tubes left on the German side. HMGs will take a while to catch up so they and the AT sections should follow the same path the infantry did and be ready for the push in a couple turns.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
Apologies on missing the last turn but it looks like the scouting of Boris turned out ok.

What is the LOS between the Tiger and the infantry to the north? I feel like I should spread them out a bit so an HE shot or mortar shell doesn't take out half the line. I am all for those HMGs hiding in the woods and waiting for a better moment to cross the field.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron

As before. That AT guy in Boris has them worried and is giving us peace of mind that the woods are empty. Everyone else should hold their general positions but spread out to the north to avoid big dangerous explosions. Going north keeps the woods between them and the Tiger and keeps us ready to charge that ford.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 1st & 2nd Platoon

Main body is still waiting for the big push. The AT rifles in Vlad should stay in the woods but move to get better LOS on the Tiger and target it.

It looks like the HMG in those woods that took the hit is still active but they need some time to recover and man the gun again? They are vulnerable but should remain where they are. The other HMG just above them should continue moving towards Vlad to be with the main force but keeping that 30-50m between units.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Abongination posted:

Your AT Rifles are still in Woodfall on the west side, all of them have full ammo and their AT rifles. The ones in Vlad are OTF's survivors and none of them have AT Rifles.

The HMG that got knocked out is also OTFs and is destroyed and cannot be recovered.

Oh shoot, I didn't have a chance to look at the thread at work today. Sorry about the confusion Abongination! I should have checked the units closer.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
2nd squadron orders that i hope make it in time: follow Koolkev's lead. HMGs move west into positions where they can see the German trenches from Boris. Infantry follow suit amd they should target the trenches as well. AT rifles (those who have one) concentrate on that Tiger! Sorry for the lack of map Abongs!

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
Heck yes, this is looking good! Would this be a good time to try some alternate types of moves? If the Germans are so focused on falling back and pre-occupied with the north should we just Fast move across that clearing? Or better to regular move or Hunt to try to get some shots at anyone out of trenches?

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

2nd Squadron, 1/2 Platoons

As ordered, so obeyed. The HMGs in Boris should move immediately into the trenches and foxholes and start firing on the German trenches. If the Germans do start pulling back after the first minute or two they should focus on those in the open but otherwise just lay as much fire into the trenches as possible.

Everyone in Vlad (ATs, infantry, HQ units) move Fast across the open ground between Vlad and Tanya. Once they hit woods they should slow down and split up:

AT rifles face towards the northern German trench line and keep firing on the Tiger (the top purple arrow)
1st Platoon and 2nd Platoon head towards the houses and each attempt to occupy their own.
The HQ units will likely be trailing behind still but ideally next turn they will be able to move into cleared houses and allow the infantry to keep advancing/clearing.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

I like that little ridge in Tanya - 2nd Squadron, 1/2 Platoon will use that to stay protected from the houses and northern trenches.

The infantry and AT squads should move south towards the road, using that ridge as cover and occupying that trench on the edge of town. The HQ units continue to suppress the houses while the infantry move.

When the infantry and AT rifles are in the trench they should suppress those 3 houses (blue/purple arrows on the map) while the HQ units move.

Continuing the leapfrog, the infantry will assault & occupy those houses when the Germans are suppressed / running away and the officers are in position to provide cover for them.

Following your advice, the HMG in the Boris trench will move closer to the other so it can see out of the woods.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Following the general plan: HMGs in Boris are fine, they are doing their job.

AT rifles and infantry/HQ in Tanya: attacking the Tiger is now a trap, we will avoid it instead. They should concentrate fire on the center house of the three (the one with two units in it). If those Germans become suppressed or broken then the riflemen are to assault & occupy the house with the damaged roof (the one that had the panzerschrek team).

Randomcheese - sorry I missed your note last time. I won't be home until long after the deadline again so Abongination, please accept any countermands from Randomcheese in place of my orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

More progress than I had expected the last turn, that went ok!

My troops should keep on as they are.
The northern forces don't have anywhere to go and have eyes where they need, they are fine.
The southern forces should continue assaulting those buildings - focus on the center of the three houses and move in waves. Once a house is occupied they then cover for the assault on the next house and we try to occupy all three.