Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm a little lazier than i thought, but i did get started. it's not much, but i'll get arrows and all that poo poo up later. i've got like 28 hours until the deadline or some poo poo so here you go

i don't want to delay the forces on the way to the forward forest, but i'd like covering fire if they need it for enemy across the river. should i just depend on the other squadron to cover that? alternately, i could make a conditional order for if there are enemy forces unsuppressed north of Boris.

are those numbers right, as far as what i have? if they arent, i must've hosed up reading the spreadsheet.

i'd plan on getting the MGs both set up facing southward. assuming none of the farm-ish things in between get in the way (do any of them??), i should be able to set up two MGs in my half of the forest that both have angles on both Tanya (red) and Natasha (purply-pink). that's the ideal. the western one should hopefully be able to see across the river too.

should i worry about the LMGs my two rifle squads are carrying, or are they just gonna set up along the treeline and do what they can?

and finally, in addition to my platoon HQ, do i have HQs for the rifles, the SMGs, the ATs, and the MGs? any thoughts on whether they should get special orders?

thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

3rd Platoon + SMG Platoon + Friends

First, a legend.

Now, the orders picture.

Units advance from the deployment zone, as close as we can get to our destinations. Use a non-tiring move type.

The Big Black Arrow is how the split-squad rifle and the AT team are to move toward the forward positions, using the trees as (scanty) cover. The field has a fence. Please jump the fence if the game supports it. If the pixelmen have to be dumb goobers go around the northwest corner, not the southeast.

The Thin Pink Line and Arc indicate the area i want to have visible for the MGs. I'd like to be able to shoot the entire ridgeline, roughly following the pink arc, so i'll need the westernmost MG to be positioned so that it can see down the pink line to the river edge if possible.

Overall HQ (i think this exists?) and SMGs stay more or less behind the trees (if there's a slight hill, as it seems there might be, you can put them behind the crest in the trees), waiting for future advances and hopefully not dying.

AT guns should be placed so they can fire downhill if possible, but these are the lowest priority guns to get in positions that can see the enemy. because they suck. probably.

And finally, the one unsplit rifle squad should be in a position to the west of the MGs that has the best possible range of fire.

I tried to spread people and put HQs within 'shouting distance' of their command. The forest feels kind of crowded, but I don't have a good sense of space - please keep necessary space when possible.

i still don't know what the relevant distances are for HQs, but someone told me the squares in the map i used are 8m x 8m. 8*√2 = 11.3, so 3 straight or 2 diagonal squares should be enough-ish. from what i can see, i'm a little tight with some of the HQs, but it looks like the scouts and the forward-facing 2 MGs and rifle are spaced OK. we'll see.

I'll be around at least the next few hours to make picture edits, and I should be able to make text edits by phone until the deadline.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

any last thoughts before we hit the deadline? I guess everything's set up as best as possible

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Abongination posted:

Turn 1 (click the flag)

Next orders will be due in 48 hours but hopefully less as there's not a whole lot to change.

thanks! no changes i can see to mine, it looked like they were all going through the airplane woods with the rest of the russian horde

you should make your voice-over audio a lot louder btw, at least for me i couldn't get it up to my preferred volume. it's dealable with as is, though

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

in fact i have a quick modification

1st Cavalry Squadron: 3rd Platoon + SMG Platoon + Friends

Soldiers,

I understand you have been advancing at a reasonable pace. I intuit [from discord] that the Germans will try to kill you as you cross the open space in front of you. I suspect they will use bullets.

Sprint across the clear space around the road. Return to your reasonable pace when you get back to cover.

Scouts heading toward the front forest CONTINUE sprinting as long as you are in open space. Once you reach the forest, find the best cover you can and see what you can see.

Otherwise your orders remain the same:

-MGs and one Rifle set up on the edge of cover.
-MGs achieve spotting across the entire forested ridge containing Tanya and Natasha, fire on spotted Germans.
-Rifles spot as much as they can staying 25m west of the MG, fire on spotted Germans
-It's beyond recommended ranges - unsure if they can shoot that far. IF a squad takes fire and can't return it THEN pull back into the forest until it's safe.

-split Rifle squad and one AT get in cover and scout from the forward forest

-other ATs find shooting positions in the back forest behind the MGs and one Rifle if possible, otherwise stay out of trouble
-SMGs stay out of trouble where they can't get hurt

-at least 25m between squads/teams
-HQs should be ~40m-ish behind their subordinates, wherever shouting range starts

Regards,
otf

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 14, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that's helpful. I'll get a draft set of orders tonight, unless my other lp tells me I need to make some hopefully entertainingly bad orders in defense of Poland in 1939 tonight. either way I'll meet the deadline

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

The legend:

The image:

The text:

I can't really tell where all my units are on the Roll20 yet so I just drew where I want them to end again. All units move QUICK across open space

-The two SMG squads get as close as they can to the river while keeping them in cover then blast away, hopefully.

-ATR in vlad goes north and finds a firing line on the AT gun. other ATRs set up in house and Mikhail also find firing lines. IF ATRs have spotting on the AT gun before finishing the move order, stop moving and take the shot!

-the split rifle squad keeps vision on the south and covers south Boris, staying in cover on the south edge of Vlad.

-the non-split rifle squad is still in west Mikhail but on the south end, trying to watch Tanya and Boris at once.

-the MGs are deployed as wide apart as possible while staying in cover on the west edge of Mikhail. adjust positioning to cover as much of Boris as possible. keep enemy units suppressed or kill them. first priority is AT gun.

-The various HQs will set up behind their troops in Mikhail, ~40m or so behind if possible while staying in the forest. overall HQ stays behind them, in the forest.

Is that clear and concise enough? i interpreted hypno's orders fairly straightforwardly, i think.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 19, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it looks to me like my previous orders stand. pending hypnobeard's further orders, of course. i can't wait for my SMGs to get up there so they can do what the german SMGs have been doing - but maybe they can do it better, since we're suppressing those germans now.

was it the german SMGs that were keeping that split rifle squad in the south suppressed most of the 3 minutes? hopefully that'll be over with soon. it looks like we're putting more and more fire to bear on boris, and when i get more of my troops in range there'll be even more

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i feel good about my previous orders still being valid, in the context of hypno's orders (edit: aside from the 'target the AT gun' parts but i think bong can handle that incongruity). therefore i will simply quote those orders, which mostly haven't been completed yet anyway (and what's been completed has seemingly resulted in effective fire on the enemy)

THE ONE CHANGE :siren: everybody, but especially the MGs, focus on the mortars if you can see them. The rifle squads are another group that might see 'em, and they could shoot them too. getting an opportunity to suppress mortar fire is a godsend

oystertoadfish posted:

The legend:

The image:

The text:

I can't really tell where all my units are on the Roll20 yet so I just drew where I want them to end again. All units move QUICK across open space

-The two SMG squads get as close as they can to the river while keeping them in cover then blast away, hopefully.

-ATR in vlad goes north and finds a firing line on the AT gun. other ATRs set up in house and Mikhail also find firing lines. IF ATRs have spotting on the AT gun before finishing the move order, stop moving and take the shot!

-the split rifle squad keeps vision on the south and covers south Boris, staying in cover on the south edge of Vlad.

-the non-split rifle squad is still in west Mikhail but on the south end, trying to watch Tanya and Boris at once.

-the MGs are deployed as wide apart as possible while staying in cover on the west edge of Mikhail. adjust positioning to cover as much of Boris as possible. keep enemy units suppressed or kill them. first priority is AT gun.

-The various HQs will set up behind their troops in Mikhail, ~40m or so behind if possible while staying in the forest. overall HQ stays behind them, in the forest.

Is that clear and concise enough? i interpreted hypno's orders fairly straightforwardly, i think.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 22, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

might as well post this here too... this is what im thinking for the machine guns

basically the southern MG would move to Vlad with the rest of the unit while the northern MG covers runner woods

the southern MG would go to the bottom point of Vlad. If there's a spot where it can achieve cover and LoS east, west, and south, that's great, do that! if not, you should be able to get two - focus on south and west

the northern MG would go to the westernmost spot in Mikhail where they can see all of Tanya, staying in cover. they'd leave 3 minutes after by this awkward screenshot, but ill think more about timing tomorrow

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

1st Squadron, 3rd Platoon + SMG Platoon + MG Platoon + 2x ATR

firstly, transfer control of the ATR in the house to my commander Hypnobeard. i'll give no more orders for that team.

TURN 1 occurs at T+0:

Northern MG offers covering fire while all other units in Mikhail, including the southern MG cross on the shortest path to Vlad at QUICK pace. Each unit must get into Vlad, in cover, and immediately transition to TURN 2.

TURN 2 occurs as soon as each squad/team reaches cover in Vlad (probably should've called it PHASE 2 or something, oh well):

-All units continue to use QUICK in their in-forest movements.

-The ATR takes up a covered position near the river.

-The RFL does the same further south (25-50m down the line) with a better view of Tanya, so it can fire on both Boris and Tanya.

-Northern MG continues to fire. IF southern MG opens up fire before T+3, take up position on south edge of Mikhail, in cover, with line of sight all the way to Tanya's edge at the riverbank (not pictured above)

-Southern MG sets up as far south in Vlad as cover is available and where line of sight on the greatest possible number of the following objectives is available: Tanya, Boris, Svetlana, and Natasha, in that order of priority.

-The RFL HQ and MG HQ stand behind their men (~40m) in Vlad.

-Any units I forgot about get on the firing line, or stand behind subordinates if it's an HQ.

Please let me know if there are any difficulties in parsing the above, particularly the awful picture.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 25, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

1st Squadron, 3rd Platoon + SMG Platoon + MG Section + ATR Section minus one team

Legend:

Additionally, White X's for where I thought the mortar strikes landed.

Map:

HQ's are not illustrated; keep them in the front of Tanya, preferably ~40m behind the big dot of their color.

The red dots are deceptive; keep in mind that BOTH of the rifle squads are now split. There wouldn't have been much room to draw 'em in.

I watched the video to map out the situation in Vlad at T+0. The initial positions aren't really right, i got tricked by the unit tags being 'above' the units, but it doesn't really matter.

The intent of these orders is to organize a general charge, followed by a sweep of Tanya and formation of a firing line against the houses.

I'm guessing the natural behavior of the pixelmen once they get in Tanya will follow the subsequent track, but I'll spell it out anyway:
-If the enemy comes from the direction of Svetlana the southernmost squads will suppress and kill; if an attack comes from the north the northernmost squads will do so.
-If resistance is crushed, all squads will form a firing line on the ridge and attempt to suppress and kill enemy forces in the houses, while resting for the assault. We'll almost certainly get another chance to give orders before this stuff happens anyway, so they might not get to rest - but we'll have a chance to look at their fatigue (i'm hoping).

The charge will just be a sprint, let's not complicate it, but during all operations in Tanya attempt to maintain 25m separation between teams and 50m between squads. If there isn't enough room in Tanya below the ridge to do it, you can hopefully zig-zag or squeeze 'em in.

BLUE: SMG Platoon. Use QUICK to reach cover in Tanya along the most direct route possible*. Should reach the woods first. Immediately sweep the woods in both directions . IF no contact is made in the north, sweep south as shown. Stay under the ridge, but come to a halt in position to fire on the buildings.

RED: Rifle Platoon. FIRST split the unsplit squad. THEN escape the mortar track of death by the most perpendicular route possible. NEXT, use QUICK to reach cover in Tanya along the most direct route possible*. Should reach the woods second. Support SMGs sweeping north and south; one split squad fans out to cover the north, forming a firing line on the ridge if nothing else is happening, and the other forms a firing line on the ridge against houses further south.

YELLOW: ATR Section. Follow (probably) the rifles and perform roughly their same roles. Note that the frontmost ATR will be running perpendicular from the mortar line to start out. As you can see by the placement of the yellow dots in Tanya, these teams are to support the split squad rifles they're behind in clearing Tanya and/or forming a firing line** against the houses.

PINK: HMG Section HQ and HMG out in the field just rest and chill. the HMG currently covering Runner Woods is to immediately depart for a spot on the south edge of Mikhail where it can see past the corner of Vlad to the river bank, indicated by the thin pink line on the map. Set up and offer supporting fire.

* If there's a depression that would slow them down by the riverbank or anything like that i'm missing, please reroute them along the most direct practicable route. Thanks

** is'forming a firing line' how it's said? i say it a lot

---

whew. hope that isn't too much. thoughts? changes?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well, i guess URA gets you a single half-squad of riflemen in a forest sometimes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-5ycjbfELM
i didn't expect the tiger to turn around and gently caress me up

edit: oh hey, orders. i'll get those turned around soon enough, won't take long - one movement arrow, one ellipse, a few words. although i guess i'll draw arrows for those ATs and that HQ who are still behind the situation. i'll tell them to move to where they can see the area and fire on it also. so, two arrows one ellipse.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 29, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i vote for stalin

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

since Ace said he only wanted it if someone didn't step up I think Kev is the man

is hypno still following/unspoiled? or does Kev command a platoon, a squadron, and the overall. just wondering whose orders to implement

I strongly suspect that the tiger is in the middle of an unstoppable murder rampage on my pinned troops but maybe they can shoot. with suppression and pinning and all I doubt they can make it to the forest edge. I think my mgs are alive anyway. and those two riflemen who will try to kill some mortars

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

The scattered remnants of my command

Team in Tanya: Get un-pinned, move toward the mortars, and kill as many of the crews as you can, moving from N to S. On the way to the mortars, use the ridge in the forest for protection from shooting and detection if possible.

People in the Open getting Obliterated by a Tiger: QUICK forward to Tanya. It's the closest cover. I don't think this group can put up worthwhile amounts of lead on the German troop movement. These orders are basically for if somebody distracts the Tiger before it's done killing us anyway

HQ and ATR still in the open back near Vlad: QUICK back to Vlad. It's the closest cover.

ATR in Vlad. Move to S edge and put fire on Tanya and Svetlana.

MG in field behind Vlad: QUICK to southern edge of Vlad where best spotting on Tanya and Svetlana can be achieved. Suppress and kill.

MG in Mikhail: Continue previous orders (get set up on S edge of Mikhail somewhere they can cover Tanya and Svetlana).

Sorry I killed those guys, to be honest I didn't expect that Tiger to show up. Let me know if I forgot anyone. The ATR across the river that I turned over to Hypno will need orders, as a reminder.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 1, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

Red circled forces are OTF's responsibility. He is to use this turn to reorganize them ready to cover the assaults that will soon happen further south. Work on a triage basis - have your best units suppress the enemy while your worst retreat, medic or rest.

Retrieve what you can of the forward troops, your best bet is probably to put the high ground of Boris between you and your tormentors so that they arent getting fired upon in every direction. That separated AT rifle is probably best off staying where it is and waiting for the front line to catch up with it but play it how you like.

Work with Abong to make sure that the most dangerous enemy units aren't allowed to fire at you unsuppressed. I'm going to rejig to give you some more units, but that will have to wait until next turn.

thanks for the orders, i'll look at this later today/tonight. not feeling great about my decision-making but it should be a good learning experience to ID the least damaged units and have them suppress while others retreat/medic

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

having watched the video, my pixelmen are writhing around like worms under a child's boot and it's just so sad but

Troops in the open: my triage has ruled that the SMG squad can return fire if it is adjudged to help but everybody else just needs to crawl away toward Vlad. abongination can use his discretion to have them run away as best as possible. getting back to Vlad is the priority. sorry i killed so many of you for nothing NOTHING

Troops in Vlad: it looks like they're medic'ing and assembling all right as is. no changes. that exhausted MG platoon will finally get to their firing location in the next 3-minute phase, i hope - then they can set up and rest while also shooting, hopefully

ATR-less guy near Vlad: get in Vlad under cover and rest, and just be a rifleman, it's probably for the best.

MG in Mikhail: this is doing good work it seems, no changes.

ATR guy in Boris: this was kinda funny, i guess he's got a nemesis in the trench and nobody but these two care about it at all? have him pass his nemesis safely to the W, set up in cover, and offer suppressing fire on enemies attacking our troops in the open.

we'll see if anybody escapes the killing field; the other troops have some guns and i didnt get the MG squads killed at least

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I can't give any detailed orders this time around, sorry. if someone else wants to give the orders feel free, but i think Jag!s orders mostly speak for themselves. get set up with lines of fire, target known enemies in decreasing order of dangerousness

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'm away from my computer on vacation until Monday, so I won't be able to elaborate on jags' orders, sorry. if necessary others can take the troops

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

Oyforce:
I want you to keep eyes on Tanya/Natasha woods, but otherwise expose the minimum forces to the tiger. Use AT rifles to harrass only if you judge it prudent. I realize that these are fairly static orders but review your units and don't be afraid to give orders to individual units if you think you can improve their position. Hopefully we can act as a company once we get an plan of how to nullify their tiger advantage.

sorry for wandering off, everyone. looks like these are my standing orders?

the last video doesn't seem to really go over the troops in vlad, what's their situation? if they're providing covering fire, i'm happy...

i'd like to request a sitrep on vlad and allow abong to bring up anything he sees as suboptimal, if he wouldn't mind, thanks

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks. something like this, then, for the next 3 minutes?

- higher priority units (SMGs, RFLs) retreat to Mikhail and rest until it's time to cross in a non-Tiger-adjacent area
- ATRs fire at the Tiger if they have any "anti-tank" rifles left
- if not, they join the MGs in providing fire support against enemy positions

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

haven't watched the video yet but i'm up for another try at invading tanya from vlad!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so, two questions to clarify my understanding, with a map to illustrate:

1: am i commanding (some of) the troops circled in black?

2: which route are we thinking for these troops: red, gold, or pink?

and if those questions are off-base you can let me know!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

1st Squadron in Vlad

URA!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-5ycjbfELM

more specifically, execute the arrows circled in blue below in concert with 2nd Squadron assets:

note how most of the force keeps attacking toward the eastern edge of town. keep the HMGs back as fire support, to cross later. once you reach the forest and clear it of enemy it should be 3 minutes at least, and if we're making it that far we should keep pushing, so i'll just leave it at 'advance'

edit: change to orders: The HMGs are to move to the cabbage house at a speed that won't make them unusable for the next 3-minute turn.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 30, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well the vlad -> tanya charge went a lot better than the first try, lol. i guess many minutes of suppression and driving the enemy back helped, as well as the sheer numbers that went across this time. also, the tiger was loving around elsewhere, that was a big help

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hmm, i don't know which of the guys in tanya are mine. seems like following the red arrow and charging the closest house makes sense, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

unsure as i am of which units in tanya i command, i'll ask them to please follow lenisto's lead, working into his plans as is proper. that way abong can draw my guys' orders up while he's drawing up the others'.