Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm fine with any of the infantry stuff; Hob's choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hob_Gadling posted:

Since in a time-honored communist fashion I was voted to lead this circus, please everyone reply to this post and let me know how experienced you are with this game format. I recognize some names but not all. Newcomers have a priority pick in the unit selection.

I've done one of these (disastrously, in true goon fashion), and I followed GH's Ardennes games.

I'm not really interested in the tanks, but I don't care what level or type of command I have otherwise.

I do not own Combat Mission of any stripe and will hopefully keep that up.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

habeasdorkus posted:

Oooh, I have a SMG platoon. :unsmigghh:

You're the Red Storm.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

First Squadron ("Snezhinka")

Good morning, comrades. We have been tasked by our kompolka with drawing out the fascist dogs in the woods to the east of the village and preparing the area for later assault. To that end, we are organizing in much the same fashion as our fellows in Second Squadron: Assault and Fire groups.

The range from our firing positions varies between 350 (near the western end of the woods) and 425 meters (near the eastern end). As a result, rifle fire will be inaccurate at best, though the DPs and SG-43s should be well within effective range. Firing is authorized as necessary, though you may want to conserve ammunition at this stage of the fight.

Our primary target is the woods circled in red, designated TANYA with our secondary target in pink, designated NATASHA. Site your MGs appropriately, and keep kompolka hob's comments regarding troop exposure in mind. Focus should be mainly on TANYA; the SG-43s in particular. Utilize caution when approaching the woodline, as contact is imminent.

We need to husband our strength until the flanking maneuver secures objective BORIS and 2nd Squadron begins to shift towards us, if that comes to pass. At that point we will pour all available fire onto objective TANYA and other such targets as may appear. Until then, be judicious.

HQ posted:

HQ Section will move to the road and then down it to the position shown with a white diamond. All HQ units for the MG and AT platoons will follow Squadron HQ and set up nearby.

I'd like to end up just behind the woods and as out of sight as possible from the ford and Boris.

Fire/Green posted:

Komvzvoda koolkevz, you are in charge of the Fire group, in green on the orders map. You are assigned control of 1st Section of the MG Platoon as well as 1st Section of the AT Platoon.

Your orders are to deploy in the indicated location, and then move expeditiously to the heavy woods opposite, taking up firing positions along the woodline.

Assault/Gold posted:

Komvzvoda oystertoadfish, you are in charge of the Assault group, in gold on the orders map. You are assigned control of 2nd Section of the MG Platoon and 2nd Section of the AT Platoon.

Your orders are to deploy in the indicated location and then move expeditiously to the heavy woods opposite, taking up firing positions along the woodline. In addition, you are to scout the woods indicated with the gold circle with minimal forces, to provide observation of the northern end of the primary objective.

ZA RODINU!

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 12, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

If there's anything more than a scout team of infantry in Boris, I'll buy Hob a title change.

:toxx:

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

oystertoadfish posted:

i don't want to delay the forces on the way to the forward forest, but i'd like covering fire if they need it for enemy across the river. should i just depend on the other squadron to cover that? alternately, i could make a conditional order for if there are enemy forces unsuppressed north of Boris.

The troops across the river are going to have the entirety of 2nd Squadron supporting them, as well as the tanks, so we don't need to worry about providing cover for them. Our focus is Tanya (and to a lesser degree Natasha) until orders or the ground situation change.

oystertoadfish posted:

are those numbers right, as far as what i have? if they arent, i must've hosed up reading the spreadsheet.

You have, in terms of CM units:

code:
3rd Cavalry Platoon
  1x HQ Team
  2x Cavalry (rifle) Squad
SMG Platoon
  1x HQ Team
  2x Cavalry (SMG) Squad
2nd MG Section
  1x HQ Team
  2x MG (SG43) Team
2nd AT Section
  1x HQ Team
  3x AT (PTRD) Team
So you've got 11 groups on the map you need to account for. Further, the squads can "split" up to twice, which give you smaller, more specialized units. You can split off a scout team (which is just two dudes with rifles), an Assault team (which is usually your heavy weapons) and if we had any, an AT team (with the AT weapon, obviously). I actually don't think it's necessary to split up your squads at this point, and probably not at all, except for the scout teams, which are quite useful for getting eyes on things with minimal exposure for the main body of the platoon.

The HQ teams should be reasonably close to their units but not in the line of fire unless there's no other choice. There's a command radius that Abong or Ace can display for you; ideally you want to stay in that but it's not 100% required.

oystertoadfish posted:

i'd plan on getting the MGs both set up facing southward. assuming none of the farm-ish things in between get in the way (do any of them??), i should be able to set up two MGs in my half of the forest that both have angles on both Tanya (red) and Natasha (purply-pink). that's the ideal. the western one should hopefully be able to see across the river too.

should i worry about the LMGs my two rifle squads are carrying, or are they just gonna set up along the treeline and do what they can?

The farm should not be in the way of our fire on Tanya, but the woods right along the river might obstruct that a bit, so I'd err on the side of putting the MGs closer to the middle of the forest. You'll want some separation between the positions so they don't get hit with the same fire. CM does things by the "square"--if you look at the graphic Fray posted back in the OP, the one with the elevation, every pixel-looking thing on there is an 8m square and CM uses that for a lot of things, like area fire and visibility (sort of). You should have maybe 3-4 squares between the guns, if you can do it.

If you have to choose between the objectives for some reason, choose to improve our ability to hit Tanya rather than Natasha. The other side of the river is well covered; don't worry about it.

The LMGs will set up as part of your squads, you don't need to do anything with them separately, as Jaguars! said.

oystertoadfish posted:

and finally, in addition to my platoon HQ, do i have HQs for the rifles, the SMGs, the ATs, and the MGs? any thoughts on whether they should get special orders?

thanks.

Yes. See the force list above, there's lots of HQ units. Keep your units reasonably close together and not intermingled; it'll make giving orders easier. The HQs should basically be just behind the troops, yelling at them.

The western forest doesn't need full squads. You can send an ATR team if you like, but I was just thinking scouts from one of your rifle sections, honestly. Your call, though keep in mind we're trying to not give away our entire hand. We'll do that in turn two.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Roll20 linkie: https://app.roll20.net/join/4524628/bOrxDA

Let me know if there's any problem.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Our mission has not changed; we are still tasked with scouting and suppressing Tanya and Natasha if necessary. Updates to squadron orders based on the current situation:
  • Forest nearest the river is designated VLAD, and the initial forest we're setting up in is designated MIKHAIL. Deployment forest is designated Trakhni.
  • All units are to move as quickly as possible across the road or any other exposed space (for example, between the forests, for the units sent to scout the forest near the river).
  • Do not "stack" units one behind the other; stagger them so fire into the front of one unit doesn't also pass through a unit behind it. Sometimes you can't avoid this, but please make every effort.
  • When moving in the vicinity of the enemy, please use bounding movements with your units where possible. This means one platoon provides cover fire while the other moves to a forward position, ideally one covered or concealed. Once the first platoon is in place, the second bounds ahead of it with the first providing covering fire.

quote:

oystertoadfish: Please hold your scout teams in MIKHAIL until the other platoon can get set facing the west (Boris, generally). The MGs should still push toward the south edge of MIKHAIL in preparation for suppressing Tanya/Natasha.

quote:

koolkevz: Your orders are unchanged except for the general modifications above.

quote:

HQ units: Move to vicinity of area AL'FA, as concealed as possible from German forces across the river. When oystertoadfish's units are in place (positioned and ready to fire on area across the river if necessary), move as fast as possible directly across the road into MIKHAIL, pushing into the edge of the woods to provide concealment; spread out as much as possible along the woodline.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 15, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Germans are apparently in the woods to the west like cockroaches, so :toxx: fulfilled.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

The Fascist invaders have shown themselves, comrades! Comrade Hob has changed our orders, and we will fulfil his objectives. Shirking is punishable by death, comrades, do your duty!

quote:

oystertoadfish, in gold:

Your orders are to move some ATR and the SMG platoon to Vlad and put fire on the AT gun, unless the ATR section has LOS on the gun immediately, in which case drop and start firing at it. A second ATR should be placed in the farmhouse and similarly put fire on the AT gun. The remainder of your units (third ATR, rifle platoon, and MG team) should be deployed in the western end of Mikhail to support the units in Vlad.

Firing on the AT gun and other targets of opportunity in Boris is authorized. Priority is AT gun, then other infantry in Boris, then any units in Tanya.

quote:

koolkevz, in green:

Your orders are to move a rifle platoon, an MG team, and two ATR sections to the edge of Mikhail--keep spread out if possible, no unit stacking!--and set up a base of fire. Your remaining rifle platoon and one ATR section are to strike out and seize the buildings in the CABBAGE FARM, while the rest of your units provide covering fire to Tanya, Natasha, and the fortification between them, named SVETLANA.

Be aggressive--I want those houses seized ASAP.

Firing on any visible units is authorized for units in Mikhail; focus on Tanya/Svetlana/Natasha and supporting the push to the cabbage farm.

quote:

Squadron HQ, MG platoon HQ, and AT platoon HQs move quickly to location indicated by white diamond.

Za rodinu!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Good job so far, everyone!

quote:

oystertoadfish:

Finish getting your troops in Vlad and continue to put fire on the units on Boris. That is your primary target; your secondary target is the troops in Runner Woods to the northwest. Provide support there with your MGs if no targets on or near Boris present themselves. Let's see how those SMGs do!

quote:

koolkevz:

Continue trying to move those units into the Cabbage Farm houses; concentrate your MG fires on the mortars in Tanya and then the trench/MG in Svetlana. If you can't see any of the mortars, put 15-30s of area fire on the two squares we saw the units in and then swap to Svetlana. We're going to ignore the troops in Natasha for the moment; hopefully comrade T-70 will assist us with that. We'll get blood back for the comrades lost!

quote:

HQs:

Stay in position unless we come under fire, then move into the woods heading southeast.

Za rodinu!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hob_Gadling posted:

I need best estimates from squadron and armor commanders. I want two estimates from everyone: fast and conservative. Fast allows for more casualties, conservative plays it safe. Based on these building blocks I'll work out the final approach towards village.

We have mortars incoming in 3 minutes, strike will be done in about 6 and it takes 9 minutes to target a new strike. Tanks take 3 minutes to move from where they now are to support positions near Cabbage Field.

Hypno and Ace: How long does it take for you two to take Tanya? You can figure in mortars to your calculations. Final objective is most of your people in positions for an immediate assault on village.

Fast: 10-15 minutes (3-5 turns, depending on results of mortar strike in Boris and tank support showing up in the south in ~5m)

Conservative: 15-20 minutes (5-7 turns, we'll wait for a mortar strike/smoke on Tanya/Svetlana and use that as cover for the assault)

These are assuming I still have enough troops to actually do the assault and we manage to suppress the German defenses reliably.

I think the plan is roughly the same for both fast and conservative timeframes, it's mostly a question of whether we wait for the mortars to fire before charging and how much fire we're willing to take from Boris. If Boris is not cleared by the mortars or SWAT prior to jumpoff, it's going to be nigh impossible to get across that space--we'll just be repeating the Cabbage Patch assault. Similarly, the Tiger could make life very hard for the assaulting troops (briefly) though I think it would get engaged by the tanks quickly so who knows what overall effect it would have.

I'm debating whether the mortars should be smoke, HE, or some mix of the two. Smoke would be handy to screw with their LOS to our troops, but if we're waiting for the mortars we might as well drop the HE on them. Can we drop four tubes of smoke and four tubes of HE and then burn off the remaining HE once we're in the town?

Plan, with timing for Hob:

T+0 - T+3 (this is next turn):

otf moves one HMG to southeast along treeline to get visibility on Tanya/Svetlana/Natasha and rifle platoon/ATRs to Vlad, second HMG moves to Vlad
koolkevz moves rifle platoon + ATRs to east end of Mikhail behind T-70
1st Squadron HQ moves across Mikhail to opposite treeline to get visibility on Svetlana and area behind it

T+3 - T+6:

mortars land
tanks arrive, begin shelling targets of opportunity
otf deploys HMGs in new positions, rest of troops harass Boris/Tanya/Svetlana
koolkevz moves maneuver elements behind tanks to Cabbage farm
1st Squadron HQ begins calling in mortar strike on east side of town

T+6 - T+9:

tanks continue shelling targets of opportunity
otf's HMG complete deployment and continue suppressing Germans
koolkevz's infantry reaches houses and deploys
1st HQ continues calling in mortar strike (6m complete at end of turn)

T+9 - T+12:

tanks concentrate fire on Tanya/Svetlana
otf/koolkevz fire at Germans as necessary, otherwise rest for assault
1st HQ continues calling in mortar strike (9m complete at end of turn)

T+12 - T+15:

mortars land
tanks and HMGs suppress visible Germans
otf's troops assault around riverbend into Tanya
koolkevz's troops provide support as possible

T+15 - T+18:

tanks/stationary HMGs suppress targets
otf's troops enter Tanya, SMGs move to far side and engage troops in houses, rifles move down Tanya and clear to Svetlana; HMG in Mikhail begins to move up
koolkevz begins to move one HMG up to Cabbage Farm; rifle platoon continues to provide support

T+18 - T+21:

tanks move up to Cabbage Farm??
otf's rifles clear to end of Tanya and Svetlana and face village; HMGs bound forward to edge of Tanya
koolkevz's HMG bound to Cabbage Farm/Tanya, rifle platoon advances toward west end of Natasha

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 23, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Continue pressing the fascists, comrades! We will drive them from the motherland and make their women weep!

This turn, we're starting to set up for the assault you've no doubt read about here or in the Discord.

The start of this turn is T+0 (50:00) and is the reference for all other timehacks. Each turn is 3 minutes, so the end of the turns are T+3, T+6, T+9, etc.

quote:

oystertoadfish:

You've got two tasks that must be completed by T+9:

1) Get the HMGs repositioned. One should be in Mikhail with a view to Tanya and Svetlana, and the other should be in Vlad with a view of the same. I can provide some suggested locations if you like, otherwise get with Ace or Abong to figure out a reasonable placement. Try not to crowd the MGs that are already in Mikhail if you can. Please DO NOT move them at the same time, let one shift and deploy before shifting the other. Remember that deployment takes about a minute so be sure to account for it. They need to be in position and ready to fire before our mortar strike lands.

2) Move the rest of your troops into Vlad. SMGs near the river, rifles the other end, ideally. ATRs can chill behind the woods because I think otherwise it's too crowded. These guys are our assault force, and will be leading the charge and sweep of Tanya. I would suggest getting them into Vlad as soon as possible and then resting them as much as you can before the charge, because they're going to need to book it around to the objective.

quote:

koolkevz:

You've also got a couple of tasks by T+9:

1) Well, the LMG retrieval didn't go as planned, but that's what happens. Let's try to get all the stragglers from the initial push into the Cabbage Farm buildings; how you do that is at your discretion.

2) Your remaining rifle platoon and ATR teams need to move to the Cabbage Farm houses as well. Let's use the route further back, along the back of the fields before cutting due east. Form up at the east end of Mikhail, behind the T-70, and rest until the tanks arrive, then hook around them and head to the houses. Once there, feel free to engage targets of opportunity in Natasha/Tanya/Svetlana. You're going to be there for a bit, as you're half the base of fire for otf's assault that's coming, so plan accordingly.

quote:

HQs/ATR:

Move 1st Squadron HQ as fast as possible from current position through the woods to the eastern end. Please position so that we a) have clear LOS to crossroads behind Svetlana (roughly dotted line) and b) are not in the fire path of any MGs set up around us.

The other HQs should move up into the woods to just behind the current firing line.

The ATR team in the house here by the FORD OF COURAGE should exit the house, move to the southern end of the ford, and attempt to cross it, looking for mines. If they make it across, move immediately into Boris as long as the mortar barrage is complete. If it's still on the way or in progress, halt on the far side of the ford and hide until it finishes, then run into Boris.

Za rodinu!

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

quote:

oystertoadfish:
Green is the SMGs, gold is the rifles. Keep the exhausted HMG behind the woods in the field where they are. These guys need to move ASAP to at least the shelter of the ridge. Primary objective is get the gently caress out of Vlad. Your secondary objective is to clear Tanya in the next two turns. ATRs with you should stick close to the rifle platoon.

HMG still in Mikhail should displace and reposition to be ready to advance.

quote:

koolkevz:
Move 1st platoon + ATRs down the fenceline behind the Cabbage Farm immediately. T-70 will be supporting you. When you get to the end of the fence, leave a squad to put fire on the Germans to the southeast if you need to; everyone else goes to the buildings at Cabbage Farm.

Stragglers in Cabbage Farm should put fire on Natasha as shown.

HMGs should put their effort into suppressing the MG in Svetlana and otherwise engaging targets of opportunity.

quote:

HQs:

As soon as tubes are finished with strike on Boris, begin spotting a mortar strike, area fire, centered on the white dot with roughly the radius shown. MEDIUM SHORT HE, all 8 tubes.

All other HQs no orders.

quote:

ATR

Continue firing at Tiger until it's not visible, then move into Boris to the SE.

Za rodinu!

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 26, 2019