Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Apart from Popete, every order needed is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

2nd Platoon

Squads in the trenches should focus their efforts on the infantry across the field.
Squad 3 should SLOW move into that other stand of trees, and HIDE when they get to a position which gives them some cover. Hopefully this way they avoid the return fire and arty that should fall on those trenches any minute now, and widen things up a bit. Squad 1 should throw some smoke if possible to cover Squad 3's movement and block LOS from the units in the north, since they're farther away than I'd like to engage.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Malick you'd probably be better off with target armor arcs instead of hide. We don't want the at guns to be totally shut down like a hide command will do.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
I think hide works for now. I also don't want to trade an AT gun for a scout car or a tankette. If a T-34 shows up behind them because they think they're untouchable that would be good grounds to change orders.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

glynnenstein posted:

Do you want 1 and 2 deployed when they arrive at their new locations?

Affirm.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Extending 24 hours for inputters. We'll try again at the same time tomorrow.

Orders are now due:
Tuesday, April 16 at 8PM EDT
Wednesday, April 17 at midnight (0:00) GMT
Wednesday, April 17 at 8AM AWST

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We should take this extra time to refine our plan and tweak our orders. I think we can improve our circumstances with some more effort to define and clarify.

From an overall perspective, what has and hasn't changed in our planning? Now that we know where at least a chunk of the enemy is what does us winning the battle look like? What do we think is the enemy battleplan? Are we pretty sure this is the main attack?

We're moving AT guns and armor up, which is going to take care and precision. Care with the long take-down and deployment times and slow movement of the AT guns (I think we want our guns sitting still and tanks moving into their vision not the other way), and precision with the critical importance of firing lanes and exposure for the tank. Do we want to bring the mortars down soon? It will take a little time to ready the tubes and then call the mission so we need to be thinking ahead on that. Do we want to withdraw to other positions if tank or artillery fire starts to chew up our positions?

Just some stuff I was thinking of while looking over orders.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 16, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Honestly I think my northern stragglers need to move. As it is right now they are occupying the most important terrain on the map but they are our worst troops with almost zero long range firepower and even less AT capability.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Popete, we need to move the Tiger northward. We aren't going to find a better time to employ it than now, when we have a real chance of smashing up the hostile armor.

The stragglers on the hill are there to look out, not fight. The time will probably come when they are no longer needed for observation, but that tine is not new.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Move the tiger north of the river, deploy along the forest edge trying to keep some cover to the right flank if possible but with priority to good line of sight to engage.

Set a 360 target armour arc once there.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

tldr: There are a lot of Soviets and they are shooting at us! Effectively.

The raw videos:

Turn 2
https://youtu.be/6sKLLPUA2Ws

https://youtu.be/DeVvrLTghrU

Turn 3
https://youtu.be/ReKFS7eju4c

https://youtu.be/2G43FzU_cBo

Turn 4
https://youtu.be/QDsFngVJO7I

https://youtu.be/9DrioodmPqs

The main problems are:
The enemy has total fire superiority on all our positions that are engaged. The Tiger, which can probably swing things a long way armor wise, has full LOS but can't spot things because this game is absurd about that (we need to OPEN UP). The units maneuvering under fire are taking that fire with their fragile bodies.

Enemy analysis:
A bunch of infantry, 3 T-34/85 (mid) based on my expert model analysis*, 1 Light Tank, At least one other tank moving out of sight.
*I am not an expert but they have the tow hook and no mufflers.

Unit Status screenshots:

1st Platoon
You mostly made your move okay since there was defilade

2nd Platoon
Getting chewed up, especially by tank fire. The crawlers have started taking fire recently.

3rd Platoon
The flat ground between the patches of woods exposed the men to a lot of fire and they are hosed up.

Stragglers North
Largely in good order but some casualties to tank fire that was mostly aimed at other units. You've started to engage the southernmost enemy forces and I moved a few units up a bit to help out.

Tiger

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

First up, lol, I told you this would happen.

Second, so much dumb poo poo on our part. Why is the tiger buttoned with an armor arc that means it's spending most of its time trying to look backwards instead of at the enemy, why was the AT gun told to move instead of shooting from the start, why are the AT guns hiding, why are our troops not ordered to area fire.

[e] It's four T34-85 and two T-70, you can see the final T34 at 15 seconds into the turn 4 vid.

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 17, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due:
Thursday, April 18 at 7PM EDT
Thursday, April 18 at 11PM GMT
Friday, April 19 at 7AM AWST

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Straggler orders

Getting these in as i'm away for easter.

Strag N

Continue as is, bring everyone up while maintaining proper spacing as much as possible and get target and target area orders on the Sov infantry with a focus on any that are suppressing the at gun. Rifle squads should also be put on targeting unbuttoned tanks as necessary.

Hq call a line fire mission, medium intensity and duration, two mortar units on the hedgerow east of the knoll where the sov advance infantry are arriving.

Strag South.

We are basically abandoned here and need to look big. Except the easternmost squad get the squads up to good vantage points, recombined with their scouts then split into assault/rifle teams. Assault teams get on the reverse slope from the NE where possible and the rifle teams in positions they can fire on likely sov advance sites. Fire area and target on any sov positions or likely positions.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 17, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
orders

Unbutton the Tiger :shrug:

Change the target armour arc to something like this.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 17, 2019

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

So, it appears that Gnoman has resigned command. Who wants to take charge and transform our early stumble into a hurdle of glory?

Seriously we need someone to define and overall battle plan and give us a direction toward victory, you don't need specific CM experience if you have a decent idea about principles of combat but it helps a ton.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Popete posted:

orders

Unbutton the Tiger :shrug:

Turn off or focus your target arc. Having a 360 degree arc confuses the hell out of the tac ai and is basically a 'stop spotting' button for tanks.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

So, it appears that Gnoman has resigned command. Who wants to take charge and transform our early stumble into a hurdle of glory?

Seriously we need someone to define and overall battle plan and give us a direction toward victory, you don't need specific CM experience if you have a decent idea about principles of combat but it helps a ton.

Barring any objections, I'll take command of the Kampfgruppe.

As I work out our new battle plan, now's the chance for suggestions.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

24 hour extension.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Thoughts, gents?

Provisional Orders for Kampgruppe von Goon

Situation

Fray posted:

It is the fifth day of Bagration. The Soviet 2nd Belorussian Front, despite heavy losses, has punched a hole through the first defensive line of the German Fourth Army. The Red Army now pushes ahead towards the Dnepr, seeking to cross it and encircle the city of Mogilev, their chief objective in this sector.

You command a primarily infantry force holding a second-line position astride a road just east of the Dnepr. You have been stationed here for several weeks, and so have had the opportunity to prepare significant entrenchments. Your position is centered around a small farming village beside a stream leading to the river.

This morning, a signal from regimental HQ indicated that a Soviet cavalry detachment has penetrated the front lines and is advancing rapidly towards the Dnepr along your road. You have just driven off a small Soviet recon force that was surveying your position from the northeast.

Terrain

Fray posted:

The Map!
The map is 1200m x 1232m (I mis-state it in the overview video). Map conditions are clear and dry. Light wind from the west.

Enemy Forces
We are currently under intense attack by at least two companies of Soviet infantry. They are supported by a platoon of Soviet T-34/85 medium tanks and a detachment of Soviet T-70 light tanks. Presumably, the Soviets have artillery or mortars of some kind at their disposal.

Friendly Forces

Fray posted:

The core of your forces is a grenadier company backed by some heavy weapons. You have also accumulated stragglers retreating from the front lines; these troops are still battered from heavy fighting and are in poor condition. Finally, you enjoy the support of a veteran Tiger I tank and a set of light antitank guns.

This is the current disposition of our forces. Northern Stragglers (Saros), 3rd Platoon (temporarily commanded by glynnenstein), and 2nd Platoon (not my real name) have all taken casualties from Soviet tank fire.

Mission

Fray posted:

Your task is straightforward: You must hold the village to keep the road closed to the enemy. Expect to face light infantry accompanied by armor.

Execution

We will execute a shallow defense in depth. CONSIDER THESE YOUR PROVISIONAL ORDERS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

1st Platoon's (LazyQ)mission is to prevent German forces from using the northernmost forest as a jumping-off point for an assault on our positions south of the forest. 1st Platoon will take up concealed positions within in northernmost forest. The exact location is up to you. Move your forces as needed during the battle to accomplish your mission. Get eyes on Ford #1 (the northernmost ford) with a portion of your force.

2nd Platoon's (not my real name) mission is to disrupt German efforts to cross Ford #1 and Ford #2. Given the intense amount of fire you are taking, get into the best possible cover and get out of sight of enemy tank fire. Even by drawing fire, you care being useful. Use the trenches and disperse your men to reduce casualties as much as possible.

3rd Platoon's (temporarily commanded by glynnenstein), mission is to disrupt any Soviet direct assault on the Northern Stragglers and 2nd Platoon and to prevent any Soviet crossing of Ford #3. Take up positions in the trenches and forests south and west of Ford #3. Exact positions are at your discretion.

The Northern Stragglers' (Saros) mission is to prevent Soviet efforts to cross Fords #2 and #3, engage Soviet attacks on 2nd Platoon's position, and engage any Soviet assaults on the village. Disperse your men and use cover as needed to accomplish your mission.

The Southern Stragglers' (Saros) mission is to secure the easternmost approaches to the village and prevent a Soviet assault on the village from the NE or the East.

The Machine Guns (Bacarruda) are to secure Ford #3 and the northern approaches to town. Use the trenches, forests, and buildings north of town, as needed. At least one gun is to remain in reserve in the center of town to respond to any emergent threats. QUICK the two guns in town into the trench where the other guns are located.

The Mortars (Bacarruda) will use the tubes currently in the grove NE of town for fire over open sights on Soviet infantry. ENGAGE the largest Soviet troop concentration in sight. The tubes in town will be used for a called-in fire mission -- if possible, an EMERGENCY AREA fire mission on Ford #2.

The Tiger (Popete) will use hit-and-run tactics to engage the Soviet armor to our NE. Do not remain too long in one place. You may strongly want to consider relocating. After this set of turns. Ensure that you are opened up and only engaging armor until further notice.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 18, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'll note that the infantry are going to have to abandon the central knoll by the riverbend after the next turn as the sov will no doubt be spotting for arty even as we speak. Also the Tiger is really well positioned right now to engage a single section of Soviet tanks and shouldn't move for a minute or two at least. I expect the soviets to retreat their tanks initially then come at it with all of the T34 at once. Popete you really need contingency orders for the Tiger to let Glym maneuver it instead of sitting still and letting the soviets have the initiative. I'm not exaggerating when I say that our entire defense rests on this one unit. If it's disabled its game over for us.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 18, 2019

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Saros posted:

I'll note that the infantry are going to have to abandon the central knoll by the riverbend after the next turn as the sov will no doubt be spotting for arty even as we speak.

Once we spook off the T-34s this coming round, we'll see if that's needed and feasible,.

Saros posted:

Also the Tiger is really well positioned right now to engage a single section of Soviet tanks and shouldn't move for a minute or two at least. I expect the soviets to retreat their tanks initially then come at it with all of the T34 at once. Popete you really need contingency orders for the Tiger to let Glym maneuver it instead of sitting still and letting the soviets have the initiative. I'm not exaggerating when I say that our entire defense rests on this one unit. If it's disabled its game over for us.

Works for me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If things get too heavy the tiger can back up and to the south around the tree line. For now I wanna leave it in position because it has a commanding view of everything and is not in danger of being flanked.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Popete posted:

If things get too heavy the tiger can back up and to the south around the tree line. For now I wanna leave it in position because it has a commanding view of everything and is not in danger of being flanked.

Sounds good.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

1st Platoon

Continue with current orders.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
All AT guns

Target armor 360

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

2nd Platoon

I'd like to have half the remaining strength of squads 1 and 2 HIDE, and have the rest keep blasting. Those panzershreck teams should also HIDE. Generally, I want to make sure my platoon is firing on the enemy, but reduce their exposure while we work on those tanks and get those mortars firing.

3rd Squad should keep trucking, but since they're taking fire they need to FAST move and seek cover ASAP.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Update! Things are not great but they're better.

The turn videos:

Turn 5
https://youtu.be/fxg0JsOvdsk

https://youtu.be/D1e57uvqgzo

https://youtu.be/Y_lQWfV0SLM

https://youtu.be/X7VfDbP--0g

Turn 6
https://youtu.be/vXFLwvLuEnc

https://youtu.be/EtC7uErm0rA

https://youtu.be/urzyut_W0Vg

https://youtu.be/ucxpJ1IrrIM

Turn 7
https://youtu.be/CVFBgYpphwI

https://youtu.be/63UBrlmgRao

https://youtu.be/nW6JizmQZSo

https://youtu.be/VvH0o_gL84Q

Enemy details:

1 Platoon

2 Platoon

3 Platoon

Stragglers

Misc Elements

Tiger

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due:
Monday, April 22 at 7PM EDT
Monday, April 22 at 11PM GMT
Tuesday, April 23 at 7AM AWST

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kampfgruppe Orders

Carry on previous orders. Strongly encourage the Tiger I to relocate to a new firing position.

Rush ammo teams up to the mortars currently doing direct fire. Have those mortars adjust fire (TARGET BRIEF 1:00) to the largest concentration of Russian troops we haven't shelled yet. Have the mortars target different formations so our fire gets spread out a bit better.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 22, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Stragglers

North, reposition as necessary and pour fire on the closest enemies target area as appropriate.

South, as previous, disperse and riflemen/mg fire on contacts.

Both units: Try id who is shooting at the mortars and suppress them.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

1st Platoon

Continue with current orders.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Going to hold out another turn with the Tiger, I don't see any better position to be in at the moment without risking a side shot trying to move north.

EDIT: Remove the target armour arc.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 22, 2019

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
AT guns

No change.

This is going to be my default orders unless something radical changes

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

2nd Platoon

1 + 2 Squad: Everybody needs to be shooting now.
3 Squad: :ohdear: Try to keep cover (move if necessary) and set up to shoot anyone who comes across Ford 1.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Popete posted:

Going to hold out another turn with the Tiger, I don't see any better position to be in at the moment without risking a side shot trying to move north.

Could you turn off the target arc so it supports the infantry, we desperately need it. Its unlikely the Soviet have concentrated their tanks yet so next turn will probably be when they try to rush you with their t34.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Could you turn off the target arc so it supports the infantry, we desperately need it. Its unlikely the Soviet have concentrated their tanks yet so next turn will probably be when they try to rush you with their t34.

I've updated my orders to remove the target armour arc.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Third T-34 has appeared up north. They have breached the north ford and are advancing. I'll try to get a look at the mortars landing situation tomorrow. We have our fire mission spotting, some direct fire, and possible enemy fire.

Turn 8
https://youtu.be/jgSYZhM-RLk

https://youtu.be/NcdB26TRH48

https://youtu.be/IgquXC3_6C0

https://youtu.be/RaMGpnuVZL4

https://youtu.be/NofxQPWVUFE

Turn 9
https://youtu.be/uV7q2pg4Fn0

https://youtu.be/n36guvAMcB8

https://youtu.be/-oOLiZlS8ys

https://youtu.be/KoE0Q9FbrHU

https://youtu.be/iIl4c6XhitY

Turn 10
https://youtu.be/SbG61Mnmfe0

https://youtu.be/ABa2W20SNt0

https://youtu.be/1z0UqSQFnUU

Units:

1 Platoon

2 Platoon

Stragglers

Misc

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh crap are those spotting rounds coming down on the central knoll. Not unexpected but oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Saros posted:

Oh crap are those spotting rounds coming down on the central knoll. Not unexpected but oh dear.

I have to take a closer look to sort out what is our own spotting rounds, some of which were falling ESE of the hill, and what are enemy rounds. Also the T-70 might have thrown a shot in there too. I'll try to get a better look this afternoon.

e: Definitely enemy rounds.

https://i.imgur.com/6VULUlU.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/NGDxTNP.mp4

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 23, 2019