Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I've read a few issues and loved them and also I love the first movie, I own a couple short animated movies too and am just as giant fan of Hellboy as it's possible to be without really knowing much about the series otherwise. Now I just noticed they're all half off there for the next few days. It's finally time to educate myself!

The first four volumes seem like a solid pick, but should I get the omnibuses instead? Do the omnibuses have reprints of all the stuff from the matching volumes? Please help I am extremely dumb and do not know anything about the site/the series/comic books in general, please just look at the page and tell me what I should buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

JordanKai posted:

If you want to read all of Hellboy, you'll want the four omnibuses (Seed of Destruction, Strange Places, Wild Hunt, & Hellboy in Hell) as well as these two short stories omnibuses:

https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=short+stories+hellboy&subType=COLLECTIONS

The omnibuses contain all the issues that were part of the overarching storyline. You'll want to stick to them if you want the big picture. The Complete Short Stories consist of largely disconnected one-off side stories.

Here are some personal recommendations:

-The Wolves of St August
-Almost Colossus
-Into the Silent Sea
-The Corpse
-They That Go Down With the Ships

Though if you ask me, all if it is worth reading. There aren't a lot of weak links in terms of Hellboy stories. It's all good stuff. :)

e: No matter what you do, start with Seed of Destruction (the storyline, not the whole omnibus). It acts as a prologue to Hellboy's life and it's the best place to start, in my opinion.

Excellent, thanks. Although 'they're all good!' was what I was half afraid of...

Any opinions on the Abe Sapien or BPRD comics?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

^burtle posted:

Personally I prefer BPRD over Hellboy but if your goal is to prep for Friday, I doubt you'll cover that much ground in time. Abe spirals out of BPRD's Second Act though so I wouldn't bother unless you read the Frog War and want to keep going.

I loved Perlman in the role too much to not feel conflicted about the new one, I try to avoid spoilers but Hellboy himself looks kind of edgy and terrible?

Anyway I've bought all the comics JordanKai suggested and I think that'll hold me for awhile. (Also my data limit has suddenly become a factor, whoops.) Once I've gone through those I might sign up for Unlimited for a month and binge through the spinoffs. Thanks for the recommendations all.