Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

What’s Pokemon?

Don’t you play this game with me. :colbert:

please drone on about this pokemon in particular

Pokemon White and Black spearheaded the Fifth Generation of Pokemon games, and were released for the the Nintendo DS in 2010.

Much of the game’s marketing emphasized the new graphics, using the DS’ 3D capabilities to highlight the urban setting of Unova, themed after New York. There was also a lot of emphasis placed on the game’s plot, which seemed to promise something more intricate than the series’ traditional fare. The games would also introduce 156 new Pokemon, a new record, to fill the wild encounters with new surprises for series fans. No more caves full of Zubat!

Instead there’s a Pokemon called “Woobat.”

Do people like Black and White?

Kinda? The games definitely have their charm, but they often don’t get the love other entries in the series do. I wouldn’t say it’s on the level of something like Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon or Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, but frequent criticisms of the game often center on the plot trying a little too hard, or…

Is this the one with the garbage bag?

..the fact that many of the new designs did not...go over well. Yes, this is the game you have heard of, with the Literal Garbage Pokemon and the Ice Cream Pokemon.

What kind of LP is this?

Pretty darn casual. I won’t be catching them all, but we will be traveling through Unova and defeating the Pokemon League. I’m also going with a special rule for this playthrough.

THIS IS A TRUBBISH/VANILLUXE APPRECIATION ZONE

Moreso than perhaps any other Pokemon, I have seen the designs of these two lovely creations criticized as “terrible”. No longer. I will be taking thread suggestions on team members, but I have one stipulation for our endgame lineup.

Trubbish* and Vanniluxe MUST be present when we defeat the champion.

*maybe the evolved form if y’all really want but that one is truly terrible

In fact, in the spirit of this, I encourage everyone to suggest their favorite doofy-looking B/W Pokemon, and I will strive to create a team of clowns to stomp through all obstacles.

Thread participation/rules?

Since this is a Pokemon game, nicknames are more than welcome for any potential teammates, and big decisions like my starter will be left to a vote.

Nicknames can be submitted at any time, just let me know in the thread.

Since this game aims a little higher than Pokemon typically does with its story, please tag spoilers.

The usual “don’t be gross/a jerk” applies.

Is the Pokewalker even in this game?

I had one joke.

Table Of Contents

Update 1: Back In Black

Update 2: Jagen Embarks

Update 3: Jagen Attends A Protest Event

Update 4: Jagen Tours The Public School System

Update 5: Jagen Meets The Awful Monkeys

Update 6: Jagen Takes Hallucinogens

Update 7: Jagen Unleashes The Tapir

Update 8: Jagen Appreciates Art

Update 9: Jagen Gets Stumped By A Library

Update 10: Jagen Catches A Pansage

Update 11: Jagen Experiences Revolutionary New Camera Angles

Update 12: Jagen Does Urban Exploration

Update 13: Jagen Commits Arson

Update 14: Jagen's Last Resort

Update 15: Jagen's Archaeology Aside

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 1: Back In Black

It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to make a joke like “Nintendo, never heard of ‘em!”

In the intervening time I’ve realized it was never very funny.

Right out of the gate, we’ve got some plot in the opener, so let’s sit back and enjoy.

I’ve never been to the UK, but I’m pretty sure I speak for all Americans when I say I think this is how your government works?

midground guy is envious of foreground guy’s sweet beard

Mysterious Crownbearer tries to start the wave, but the room’s really not feeling it.

I’m fairly sure that’s a robe meant to be sweeping off this figure, but his arms could also just be on fire.

Alright, calm down, Rafiki.

Pictured: the readerbase’s response to my jokes so far

All hail the PokePope?

Not to be outdone, Eyeball Cape Man and the Baby Bottle Hat Squad get their time in the frame. We’re gonna have a lot to talk about RE: Unova Fashion in this LP.

SUDDENLY HOPES!

DREAMS!

(I swear this is as jaunting a transition as I’m making it look)

This is a multiplayer feature so we actually won’t be discovering it at all.

Whether you want to put funny hats on a jellyfish or make your dragon shoot purple orbs…

Pokemon Black Version is a game for you!

Right, normally I run down the Main Menu in the first update of an LP, but there’s really not much here worth exploring. Mystery Gift was Nintendo’s way of distributing special Event Pokemon, either through the internet or local wireless if you wanted to trek to the local GameStop.

Nintendo WFC is dead, long live Nintendo WFC.

The Mic Test is actually sorta interesting, in that these games featured very rudimentary voice chat with friends! I have never tried it, and cannot now that the online features are dead, but I imagine it was terrible, considering it used the DS microphone. If anyone has a firsthand account about this I’d love to hear it.

Let’s just hit up the New Game.

This opening is pretty much identical to any other Pokemon opening.

Right down to one of the cuter new Pokemon coming out of the ball! Hey, it’s Mincinno!

it’s no fuckin’ trubbish

: That's right! This world is widely inhabited by mysterious creatures called Pokémon! Pokémon have mysterious powers.

Worth noting is that Mincinno hops around and waves a bit during this intro. The Pokemon get a little more animated in this game.

: We humans live happily with Pokémon! Living and working together, we complement each other. We help each other to accomplish difficult tasks. Having Pokémon battle one another is particularly popular, and it deepens the bonds between people and Pokémon. And that is why I research Pokémon.

I thought you’d never ask.

Like in most of the Pokemon games, we’re asked to select a gender for our character, which determines our sprite and...not much else. There’s a side-quest that changes very slightly. This is one of three things I’ll need your votes on! But more on that later.

For now, we’ll go with the boy just for test update purposes.

Next up, our character’s name. This is the peak of character customization in this game. Don’t go asking for cool hats and poo poo until X and Y come out.

Again, for test purposes, we’ll just go with my name.

...Or, y’know, as close as I can get.

More or less.

It’s not! And that’s why I’ll need you to come up with a name for our intrepid adventurer!

: Well then. I’m going to introduce you to your two best friends!

Your social life is over now. Embrace your Pokefriends.

: He can be a little difficult, but he's a very honest person.

Have you ever heard someone use that description for anyone you actually want to hang out with? Cheren’s not really that bad, I promise.

: She's a little flighty, but she works very hard.

: a very, very important Pokémon.

Calm down!

: The moment you choose the Pokémon that will accompany you on your journey, your story will truly begin. During your journey, you will meet many Pokémon and people with different personalities and points of view!

We will certainly chat with lots of random NPCs, yes.

: That's right! Befriend new people and Pokémon and grow as a person! That is the most important goal for your journey!

Wait, were we not already there? Where is this white void?

Don’t worry about it. It’s winter now. This game does have a seasonal system along with its day/night cycle, but the former doesn’t exactly sync up with real life. Y’know, since I’m posting this in April. We’ll get more into that later.

A quaint and quiet town.

Roughly four buildings.

Sounds like the perfect place to start a JRPG adventure!

Why do they all yell at me :gonk:

: What’s keeping Bianca?

: I’ve known for ten years that you have no sense of time, but...seriously…

It took her like three seconds to walk onscreen. I take back what I said before, Cheren is terrible.

: Today’s the day we can get a Pokemon from Professor Juniper!

Hopefully not the garbage can. Unless it’s Trubbish.

: They were delivered to Hippomn’s house, so Hippomn gets first pick.

: Naturally.

Juniper bothered to make a gift box. Usually the professors just leave the Pokeballs out in the middle of nowhere, or in a lovely basket or something. Clearly we’ve got the cool professor in this region.

As do I, let’s go!

Hang on gotta check the obligatory advertising cameo

Okay, now let’s go!

We do get first dibs, so I guess Cheren and Bianca will have to scrap it out over the others.

Oh boy, time for starter choice! Let’s meet the candidates!

Snivy is our potential Grass type starter. It’s fast and decently bulky. Most importantly it constantly looks like :smuggo:. All the time. In every evolution. Snivy won’t ever pick up a second typing, that’s for lesser starters. :smuggo:

Snivy will eventually evolve into a snake that looks like it’s judging you for your choices.

Tepig is a Fire type, and he’s a lovable chunk of Attack. It’s my personal favorite of the starters, but don’t let that influence your votes, I’ll go with any of them. Tepig eventually picks up Fighting typing, continuing a string of Fire/Fighting final starter evolutions that stretched on for way too long.

Tepig will eventually evolve into a really loving chunky pig with a beard made of fire. I’m not naming it Bacon, that’s the one rule.

Oshawott is our final potential starter, taking the Water slot. Whereas Tepig shone in Attack, Oshawott’s better with Special Attack. Oshawott also appears to be wearing a shirt, which is weird and he creeps me out. Much like Snivy, Oshawott will never pick up a second typing, staying pure water.

Oshawott will eventually evolve into a seal with abs and a stupid helmet.

So we’ve got some choices to make!

What is our protagonist’s gender?
What is their name?
Which starter will we choose?

As usual, please bold your votes, and I’ll decide on our starter through a purely democratic process (and then probably just pick the name that makes me laugh the most).

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 11, 2019

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Oh boy a LordHippoman LP! It's been too long! :neckbeard:

We're playing as a Male named Jagen because I'm choosing to believe that he was reincarnated in the Pokemon World :colbert:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Firstly: I wanna see the clean freak pokemon, Minccino, at your E4 conquering!

Oh right, names. Uuuuuhhhhh...Male, Gary, Oshawott named Revolver because I’m nine years old and Revolver Oshawott is the best thing I can come up with at midnight.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh, this game. I am so conflicted about this game. It tried so hard with so many story beats and pretty much fell on its face with every single one of them. Some fun monsters and such though.

Take the judgement snek and don't nickname it because honestly Serperior is one of the best pokepuns in the franchise and cannot be improved upon.

In LP tradition, play as female even though the girl sprite is awful, because at least that way there's one competent female character capable of doing things. I don't have a clever nickname in mind though.

Strokavich
Jan 17, 2019

Joshi Wrestling fanatic
Youtube Channel
Awesome, Trubbish is one of me favorite pokemon.

Choose Female
Name Momo
Starter Snivy
Starter Name Phallis

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All I care is that we get a Snivy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have had exactly one experience with the B/W voice chat and that's that someone I was pokebattlin' screamed into the mic when he was about to lose and I got startled and dropped my DS.

Gen V is probably my favorite set of Pokemon games; I really enjoyed the increased focus on story and a lot of the new designs. Not all of 'em were winners, but whatcanyado?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gen 5 has the worst starters. Snivy i guess, nickname Bacon. And let's say you're a male named Bacon.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 10, 2019

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Quote is not edit

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Pokemon Black: It's not Reborn!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's go for the guy, name of Schwartz, with a Snivy named Weiss.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Female, called Liberty, with a Snivy.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Gonna throw out a vote for Tepig, just because Snivy is a better choice for the sequel if Hippo decides he’s gonna LP that one too. Gonna second the idea of female trainer named Liberty

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Choose male
Name Jagen
Starter oshawott
Starter Name The Seven(or just seven if space issues)

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Voting for a Guy named Jagen with a Snivy named Weiss

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm happy Trubbish is getting the respect it deserves: more than none, but still way less that most others receive. At the very least, its better than those three monkeys.

Pick a Tepig and then name it Waddles because it waddles.

Waaaaaddles

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Play as the male because the female sprite is bad (how does her hair even work with her cap). I have no idea what to name him, though.

Choose Judgement Snake and don't give it nicknames.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Trubbish and Vanillish getting the respect they deserve, this is my kinda LP.

Roro posted:

Can't think of any good names, so throwing a vote for this.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I won't stand for Garbodor slander though. And where's my boy Klinklang???

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Vanillite's whole line is to be treasured and loved. Same with the wireframe muppets, though I may be biased because of how well my own Throh turned out. :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

We're playing as a Male named Jagen because I'm choosing to believe that he was reincarnated in the Pokemon World :colbert:

Seconding this

Also, take the Tepig and name it Hitchman after another porcine pro wrestler

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This should be a fun lp to follow as I did enjoy just how good the story was.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Trubbish and Garbador are fine and good. Also Female with her pal Oshawott nicknamed whatever, because God dang it Oshawott is adorable and I will not hear otherwise.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

On the subject of friends for our trash bag and ice cream, I would suggest sandile and litwig because they are good and cool.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FoolyCharged posted:

On the subject of friends for our trash bag and ice cream, I would suggest sandile and litwig because they are good and cool.

We don't want good and cool. Hippoman should use all three monkeys and suffer.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

BlackPersona posted:

:emptyquote:

No vote for our character, but we should have a Snivy named Smugleaf

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Black Robe posted:

We will see more than enough of those monkeys not having them in the party

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Okay guys, this time we're gonna have a whole set of all-new Pokémon!"

"Great, let's start listing some cool design ideas we haven't done before!"

(awkward silence)

Roro posted:

This one. Snivy is actually kinda neat-looking and thus a stand-out in this gen.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kemix posted:

Oh right, names. Uuuuuhhhhh...Male, Gary, Oshawott named Revolver because I’m nine years old and Revolver Oshawott is the best thing I can come up with at midnight.

Seconded.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Gen V was... certainly a time for the franchise.

Boy trainer because good grief the girl design is bad! No opinion on name.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 10, 2019

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Kemix posted:

Voting for this.
Also, Sandile and evos are the best and I'll not hear otherwise.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
My vote would be for Male named Jagen, with an Oshawott named Revolver.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Let’s see, how about a girl named HAIR with a Snivy named Tilda.

As far as future Pokémon, get a Joltik named Miles.

(Oh how I wish Archen wasn’t so :mediocre: )

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Anything except a revolver ocelot joke, since we've already have had a SA LP where that joke was done to death.

I s'pose a Snivy then. I don't really care.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

I've missed it!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Snivy is a better choice for the sequel if Hippo decides he's gonna LP that one too.

It is definitely possible.

Black Robe posted:

Hey, now, I know I encouraged this in the OP but the monkeys? That seems a bit far. :colbert:

I'm going to close up votes tomorrow so I can get to work on starting the game in earnest, but until then feel free to submit them! Snivy is dominating at the moment, but Oshawott could still catch up, and it looks like a Male Jagen or a Female Liberty are both potentially in the running too.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Black and White are slightly before my time (I started with Y) but they do seem like interesting new takes on the formula - I'm a big fan of Chorocojo/Red Chocobo's old LP of Black (uh... no pressure!). The Gen V mons are a mixed bag (Trubbish and Vanillish lines are fine, but those drat monkeys...), but the good ones are excellent and if nothing else Gen V deserves praise for upping the number of pokemon in under-represented types (eg ghost, dragon, dark) considerably, as well as giving us a lot of cool bugs. Also infinite-use TMs!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

LordHippoman posted:

it looks like a Male Jagen or a Lady Liberty are both potentially in the running too.

Fixed it for you.

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013
I vote for Lady Liberty, and she has a Snivy called Smugleaf, in the tradition of leaks from four score and seven years ago. MURRRRCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Male trainer named Jagen, Snivy without a nickname