Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlackPersona posted:

Since there's already a few votes for Darumaka, I'll jump on that train and ask you to name it Roy :v:
Roy's our boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

sandile named Nixon.

He is not a krookodile!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Scraggy's one of those pokemon that have always disappointed me. I've used it several times and it never turns out very good. Hits well enough and Moxie chains can be fun, but it's one fragile pantslizard despite the stats. Maybe I just keep rolling lovely IVs.

Darumaka is... eh. It's okay. I wasn't blown away by it but it was decent enough.

Sandile kicks all kinds of rear end forever in its rad sunglasses, and it is also a gharial which are critically endangered.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've used both Scraggy and Darumaka on my first playthrough, and they both put in a crazy amount of work, because especially the latter hits like a firetruck that's literally on fire. I want you to witness its glory (mostly after evolution, admittedly), so I vote for it!

Black Robe posted:

Scraggy's one of those pokemon that have always disappointed me. I've used it several times and it never turns out very good. Hits well enough and Moxie chains can be fun, but it's one fragile pantslizard despite the stats. Maybe I just keep rolling lovely IVs.
It keeps learning better and better moves, it's prone to killing itself with High Jump Kick and the likes but God drat does it put out damage when it hits. I really like glass cannons because I'd rather just finish fights super quickly than have a "good strategy" (lol!), which is also why Blitzle is so disappointing overall: it completely lacks the "cannon" part.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Name your timburr Burrtha

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Honestly, you're not gonna show off all the event exclusive stuff only available via movie tie ins 8 years ago?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ahhhh Lemonade and Moomoo milk. The potion replacements for about 90% of the game. Then you just shove max and hyper potions down their throats and never use non-max potions again.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Legitimate question: is there ever a reason to use Max Potions, at least before Gen VII? Hyper Potions restore a massive 200 HP per use and by the time you might break 200 HP you have easy access to Full Restores, which are more expensive but also take care of statuses if they ever come up.

re: polling use Roy Darumaka, I guess, idk

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Scraggy tries his best :unsmith:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Crosspeice posted:

Honestly, you're not gonna show off all the event exclusive stuff only available via movie tie ins 8 years ago?

If time travel gets invented and I'm not dead, I'll make a bonus update. Someone remind me.

LiefKatano posted:

Legitimate question: is there ever a reason to use Max Potions, at least before Gen VII? Hyper Potions restore a massive 200 HP per use and by the time you might break 200 HP you have easy access to Full Restores, which are more expensive but also take care of statuses if they ever come up.

My experience mirrors yours there, really.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

LiefKatano posted:

Legitimate question: is there ever a reason to use Max Potions, at least before Gen VII?

You kind of answered your own question there, they were nerfed because there wasn't. :v:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

LordHippoman posted:

If time travel gets invented and I'm not dead, I'll make a bonus update. Someone remind me.

Please don't. The limited time events were limited for a reason! The rewards are just too powerful. They had to be dispersed in a safe manner, though Japanese children's games at particular times and places to dilute the power to manageable levels.

Imagine what horrors that could be wrought if an original, undiluted movie tie in were to make it to the modem day. :ohdear:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
A Pikachu named "Gesundheit" is some kind of glorious.

Rename Hypnotoad to that.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

AlphaKretin posted:

You kind of answered your own question there, they were nerfed because there wasn't. :v:

I figured, I was asking because the post before seemed to imply there was a use for 'em. :V

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

"I've got myself a car now!"

"With that the next town is within reach even without badges!"
The German expression for "within reach" would translate directly into: "close (enough) to grab".

"That is unless I flunk my driving test..."
"Durchrasseln" or "rattling through" means to fail a test in a spectacular fashion (although it is overused a bit). The normal expression for failing a test is "Durchfallen" or "fall through" - so the difference between the two would be like falling off a tree vs. falling off a tree and hitting every branch on the way down.
A driving test in German is called a "driver's license exam" (just smushed together) and it's quite telling that Google Translate just gave up halfway through the word...

Please bring Scraggy along just to remind Marth to always wear his pants.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Scraggy's frailty is an interesting case, since...well, here's the stats of its evolved form.

Its HP being low means that any direct damage, such as Hi Jump Kick missing, will make its otherwise very bulky defenses moot.

Anyways, someone has a legendary icon of Roy killing himself with the Devil Sword, and considering how Darumaka will eventually turn out, I think Roy is an adequate name.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

werbear posted:

"I've got myself a car now!"

"With that the next town is within reach even without badges!"
The German expression for "within reach" would translate directly into: "close (enough) to grab".

"That is unless I flunk my driving test..."
"Durchrasseln" or "rattling through" means to fail a test in a spectacular fashion (although it is overused a bit). The normal expression for failing a test is "Durchfallen" or "fall through" - so the difference between the two would be like falling off a tree vs. falling off a tree and hitting every branch on the way down.
A driving test in German is called a "driver's license exam" (just smushed together) and it's quite telling that Google Translate just gave up halfway through the word...

Please bring Scraggy along just to remind Marth to always wear his pants.

Oh wow, I appreciate the breakdown here! Your version makes a lot more sense.

Faillen Angel posted:

Scraggy's frailty is an interesting case, since...well, here's the stats of its evolved form.

Scraggy is a Pokemon based entirely on Hubris.

Thanks to everyone for voting, it looks like Roy the Darumaka will be joining the team next update, and I'll toss the new names on Timburr and Watchog, who has been forced to legally change his name due to connections with a cult. Things are still kinda weird with me so the update schedule might be sporadic, but I'll do what I can!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The empty building totally has a use! Also, somewhat hilariously, if you play as a girl, the elevator guy won't pat you down and instead just says you seem trustworthy.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Roro posted:

The empty building totally has a use!

i'm a dumbass and it's in the next like, 10 minutes of gameplay. :v:

:allears:

Time to Finish The Bite.

Next update should be up this weekend, by the by, I just need to finish writing it. I'm going to try to get at least one more out before Three Houses releases and my soul is devoured by Team Black Eagles.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 13: Jagen Commits Arson

You’ve all submitted your votes. Thanks for that, by the way! And we have a winner.

Meet Darumaka! He doesn’t always hit, but when he does? Holy poo poo.

Let’s pretend he’s named after Melee Roy, since it’s not like Binding Blade Roy hits that hard anyway.

I’ve gone ahead and applied the requested new nicknames to Timburr and Watchog. That should take some of the heat off of our team for the unspeakable crimes I committed offscreen in Pinwheel Forest!

You didn’t read that!

I was considering training Roy up along this route, but he’s got unfavorable matchups against just about every wild encounter.

Since this is a desert, there’s no tall grass, but the deeper shaded sand acts the same way.

As you might expect, this guy won’t move until we defeat Burgh. I end up deciding to just go for it, we’ll see how a freshly caught Darumaka fares.

Onwards!

Backwards!

: He’s a seasoned Gym Leader. He made me work for that Gym Badge! But for me, Bug-type Pokemon aren’t much of a challenge.

Cheren might sound cocky here, but Tepig’s line is a pretty great counter to Bugs. Of course, he says this regardless of his starter, so he’s definitely cocky.

: I’m going to keep winning like this against all of the Unova region’s Gym Leaders! Then, I’ll head for the Pokemon League and outperform the Champion! If I do that, everyone will admit what a strong Trainer I am...

I’m a little worried about you, buddy.

I’d better see that ominous statement wasn’t foreshadowing, mister!

: You’re the one who fought Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest...If I remember, your name is...Jagen! Come to challenge the Gym, I suppose? Sorry, but could you wait a bit? I was informed that Team Plasma has shown up! In fact… Come with me! I’m going to the dock at Prime Pier!

Intent on padding out the update, Burgh meanders in the general direction of this sudden plot point. Might as well give chase!

If you forget the names of the streets or piers, these signs will always have the information for you!

: Team Plasma took it…

I’m not sure just what Plasma has against Munnas, but this isn’t an isolated event.

: But this city is so big and so crowded...I’m afraid I lost them.

: Iris...you did everything you could.

: But that’s so bad! Taking people’s Pokemon is really bad! Cause it’s really nice when people and Pokemon are together! They each have something the other doesn’t, and they help each other!

I’m gonna be honest, Iris, I don’t know if there’s anything at this point that a human is capable of that at least one Pokemon cannot do. Doesn’t Alakazam have like a 700 point IQ?

: Agreed! No fear--we will get that Pokemon back. Right, Jagen? Having said that, finding a person or a Pokemon here in Castelia City will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

is this the video game equivalent of a gilligan’s island cut

: Last time went so well, I thought I’d grab another Pokemon...Rethinking… I need to get out of here!

Exeunt, pursued by a Burgh.

: Jagen, let’s go! Iris! You stay by that young lady’s side.

Thankfully, he’s not gone too far!

Yes, I did just claim this building didn’t have a purpose last update. I’m going to pretend that didn’t happen.

Well, I’m stumped.

A classic mistake. You shouldn’t have ever given me a choice!

: I...had a thought! I’ll take care of this weak-looking runt, so you can show off by handling that tough-looking guy over there!

Let’s take on the guard!

Here’s another of Darumaka’s bad matchups. Let’s sub in a pro.

He has two of the same Pokemon. You can guess how this goes.

dialogue conserved for proof that it really exists

: It’s in my best interest to go report to the Seven Sages right now!

: Even with directions from the Xtransceiver, I couldn’t figure it out!

: Team Plasma is inside. The stolen Pokemon may be in there as well. OK, I’m going in!

I’ve gotta admire the “constantly charge in” ethic Burgh’s got. A man with tactics after my own heart.

: OK! This time, I’ll join the fight! Come on, Bianca. You too!

: W-wait! Jagen! You come too!

Don’t have to ask me twice!

: “Take what you want from people”?

This guy’s name is fuckin’ Bronius, and he wanted to pull a sick own over Burgh so bad that he accidentally bungled the entire kidnapping plot. I love Bronius.

: Indeed...No matter. We already have an exceptional base of operations. Is everyone familiar with the legend of the founding of the Unova region?

In Poke1776, George Wartortle signed the Declaration Of Independence…

: I am! It’s the black Dragon-type Pokemon, right?

: The black dragon appeared before a hero who sought the ideal way to knit together a world full of warring people. This black dragon-type Pokemon shared its knowledge--and bared its fangs to defeat those who stood against it. Together, the power of this Pokemon and the hero brought unity to the hearts of everyone in the land, and that is how Unova was created.

That had way fewer puns than I’d have liked.

: We shall bring back the hero and that Pokemon to Unova once again! If we can win people’s hearts and minds,

This staggering display of leadership is clearly enough to convince Bronius.

: Here in Castelia, we have a lot of different kinds of people. Everyone’s ways of thinking and lifestyles are very different.

Team Plasma is thrown into disarray by Burgh’s basic questions!

: One thing we all have in common is that we all care a lot about Pokemon. Even people meeting for the first time can talk about Pokemon. Talk or battle or trade...Remember your speech at Accumula Town? You were responsible for leading me to rethink my relationship with Pokemon. For that, I thank you. At that time, I made a promise...

: What you guys are doing… Aren’t you going to strengthen the bond between people and Pokemon even more?

: Myah-ha-ha-ha! You are quite hard to figure out--a little more intelligent than I'd expected. I am fond of intelligent people, you see. You'll enjoy hearing about this...From every corner of the world,I have gathered knowledgeable people for our king's benefit. You could call them the Seven Sages. Very well! We will submit to your opinion and be on our way.

Ghetsis is absolutely the kind of guy who has unironically complained that “actually, it was named “Frankenstein’s monster.””

Munna floats its way home.

: Th-thank you! Munny, I’m so glad to see you again!

: Why are you thanking them? They take people’s precious Pokemon!

: It’s just...I’m so happy that my Munna is safe.

: The friendship between Pokemon and people can be very touching. But, in order to liberate Pokemon from foolish people, we will revive the legend of Unova--and win the hearts and minds of everyone. Farewell…

The screen fades to black.

BURGH! :aagh:

: What do we do if anything’s happened to the other stolen Pokemon?

: It’s OK. Thank you, Iris! No one was hurt. More than anything, I got my darling Pokemon back again!

: OK, if you’re happy…

: What is everyone planning to do now?

: Oh it would be sensational to look around Castelia City, but…

Please, we’ve already spent about an update and a half doing that.

: Don’t worry! I’ll keep on being your bodyguard!

: Iris…

: Uh-hm. That’s great! Iris is a dazzling Pokemon Trainer, but maybe not at home in the big city yet.

: Also, thanks for looking for the Pokemon! This is for you!

A Pokemon holding the Yache Berry will only take half damage from a super-effective Ice-type move. Very niche.

: See you!

: Wha...Waaait!

Iris quite literally pushes Bianca out the door.

When Team Plasma left, they dropped a Smoke Ball.

Very funny, eco-terrorists.

With that story event out of the way, we can finally proceed to the Gym!

: I bet, with all the bustling people, you started feeling worn down on your way to the Gym! Never mind! This will help. Take it!

Gym Guy is just the best. :allears:

: At first glance, these funny honey walls may look impassable or even impossible. If you try hard, it'll work out. So I say. But...if it doesn't, here's a sweet tip: step on the switches on the floor!

Burgh’s gym is themed after a beehive. Lots of hexagonal rooms, gated by honey walls.

By walking into the walls, you can bend them back, and eventually you’ll phase on through.

There are yellow switches on the ground we’ll need to push.

They lower gates in front of nearby honey walls. There’s nothing really “puzzle-y” about them, to be frank, you’ve just got to step on all the switches, enter the gates that open, and repeat until the end.

Oh, also there are clowns!

I question Burgh’s theming decisions, but I guess not every region can be loaded with Bug Catchers.

Let me tell you something I love about this gym.

It absolutely crumbles in the face of a good Fire Fang.

Facade certainly beats the heck out of Rage, so I make the swap.

All of these clowns are intensely flammable.

You won’t hear that phrase in another LP, and I know that’s why you come to me. (I don’t know why else you would :v:)

The switch behind that trainer opens the way. Let’s press on.

Welp, easy enough.

OH NO A CLOWN BUTTON!

I’m gonna burn down this building with my friend Roy.

The first Pokemon folds to a Fire Fang, but then we hit a small bit of an impasse.

Dwebble is a really interesting Pokemon. It’s Bug/Rock Type, so Fire Fang isn’t a one-way ticket to victory here.

Thankfully, Burrtha still hits plenty hard, even without Super Effective damage.

Now it’s just a matter of juggling some switches.

One

Two

Three

CLOWN

Stop that. Go away.

...Burgh, what kind of racket are you running here, buddy?

:allears:

This opens the way back at the first split route we encountered.

And, hidden by the camera, there’s a clown.

It’s mostly Honey, dude.

He had a Sewaddle and a Venipede. Chomp chomp.

And, with that, we open the final gate!

: My bug Pokemon are scurrying with excitement about getting to battle you. Let’s get straight to it!

No preamble, time to take on Burgh!

Burgh’s team focuses on hitting hard and fast, but isn’t particularly durable aside from one member. For now, we’ve got a Whirlipede.

It barely hangs on after a hit from Fire Fang.

:stonk: hey burgh what the gently caress

Burgh steps up the healing game to Hyper Potions.

Still, this battle just comes down to spamming Fire Fangs until Whirlipede falls. Its most powerful move is Poison Tail, but it doesn’t get that far.

What’s that? An even stronger Fire type move? Oh, Roy, you’re spoiling me.

A Dwebble’s up next, so I swap out to Burrtha. Fighting may only be 1x effective, but you know what does hit twice as hard on Rock/Bug?

Rock.

I forgot Rock didn’t resist itself. Oops.

Even so, Dwebble’s beefy. It has Dark, Rock, and Bug type moves, so it can wreak a little havoc if your Pokemon is weak to any of those.

But we’re not.

And this was a fancy way of saying that I tossed rocks at it until it fell over.

Burgh’s ace pokemon is a Leavanny. This is the final evolution of Sewaddle, and it’s specialized in Attack and Speed.

Naturally, it goes first.

It only has Grass and Bug type damaging moves.

It’s pretty dodgy and knows Protect to stall further, but eventually

punch

And that’s a one-shot. Roy did not come to play.

Turns out that Burgh folds hard to our fiery friend!

I do kinda love Burgh’s personality.

:toot:

:toot: :toot: Almost halfway there! :toot: :toot:

: If you have three Badges, Pokemon up to Lv. 40 will obey you, including traded Pokemon. Because I’m a generous guy, I’ll also give you this.

All of Burgh’s Pokemon know this Special Attack Bug type move. Unfortunately, he never got to use it.

Time to bug out. :v:

Now we should be set to press on from Castelia to Nimbasa!

Or, maybe…

Blink Animation, you bastard!

I’ll be totally honest with this part, I didn’t screenshot this whole conversation because I thought it was in the script, but I couldn’t find this conversation in the text dump I’m using. I apologize, but it’s basically just “hey let’s battle before you leave”.

You get the gist.

Frustrated by these technical difficulties, Jagen goes and jams money into the vending machine until it spits out a Bonus Lemonade. Some things in life are worth it that way.

: to break the electric bulletin board. I’m the new-and-improved version of me! It’s gonna go great this time! Let’s start up our Pokemon battle again!

Time for another showdown with Bianca!

Her team is getting pretty filled out!

She leads with an Intimidating Herdier. I should swap to Burrtha for this, but I’m stubborn and drunk on Roy’s power.

Roy whiffs, but Herdier’s move of choice is Take Down, so it takes recoil damage.

A Fire Punch that actually connects nearly finishes the job.

Its own recoil actually gets the final blow. :v:

The evolved form of Oshawott, Dewott, is much more powerful.

It even survives a Super Effective hit!

Oh. It used Focus Energy. They’ve got to stop doing that.

Her last Pokemon is a Pansear. I still don’t have anything that’s Super Effective against Fire types, I say, completely forgetting that not only does Burrtha have Rock Throw but she is also entirely unharmed.

you like woobat though, right?

Don’t worry, this is just a poorly timed shot of Bianca. Pansear cannot talk. Or, at least, I pray to the most holy of Pokegods that Pansear cannot talk.

She tries to keep it up, but with Heart Stamp on standby, this fight’s only going to end one way.

Sorry, Bianca, but we’ve got an award winning squad here! And Blitzle, somewhere!

: You know, since we left Nuvema Town, I’ve met a lot of people and I’ve been thinking about what I want to do in life! When you look at it that way, Pokemon have given me a lot of new experiences.

Aww. :unsmith:

: Having my Pokemon stolen was just really hard, and I felt really unsure...Still, I gotta say I’m really glad I went! I’ve learned so much on this journey. And I also learned that being with Pokemon is really, really important! OK, well, I hope to see you again soon! Bye-bye, Jagen!

Next time it’s a Desert Map!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Excuse me, LordHippoman, I can do FIVE (5) things. Show me a Pokemon that can do that

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Excuse me, LordHippoman, I can do FIVE (5) things. Show me a Pokemon that can do that

Does levitating five spoons at once count because Mega Alakazam can do that.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

quote:

Blink Animation, you bastard!

The text, the night background, the blink animation and the conviniently missing text dump - this is clearly a Bianca Booty Call.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Usually if you can't find text, the character's page on Bulbapedia will have their dialogue.

We'll be encountering even more Sages across the game and while Bronius was noted, the other guy is named Rood. That may be a familiar name, but take note of when he next appears considering he had exactly one line of dialogue here.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My favorite thing about Burgh:

The crazy eyes.

Cheren's cockiness is somewhat justified. This is the first gen with genuinely great bugs.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Roro posted:

Does levitating five spoons at once count because Mega Alakazam can do that.

That's only one done five times! Like Fury Swipes.

Crosspeice posted:

Usually if you can't find text, the character's page on Bulbapedia will have their dialogue.

That makes sense. I'll take a look later and see if I can't find it, thanks for the tip!

Solumin posted:

My favorite thing about Burgh:

The crazy eyes.

Cheren's cockiness is somewhat justified. This is the first gen with genuinely great bugs.

everything in Unova has eyeball problems

Also didn't Scizor sorta pop off towards the end of Gen IV? That's my memory from high school and reading GameFaqs halfheartedly, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Solumin posted:

The crazy eyes.

LordHippoman posted:

everything in Unova has eyeball problems

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
As a heads up, a lot of the game music video links on earlier updates are missing.

I can't wait for the next update, though, plenty to see in the desert area.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Namagem posted:

As a heads up, a lot of the game music video links on earlier updates are missing.

I can't wait for the next update, though, plenty to see in the desert area.

Yeah, the Youtube Channel I used for those updates got hit with a takedown request from Nintendo, evidently, so all of their Pokemon stuff got disappeared. I'll try and find replacements when I can, thanks for letting me know!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've been using this channel for my most recent LPs and they've got every track in about the order you encounter them in, so it's pretty nice. It's the dangers of using Nintendo related stuff, but I tend to try and find smaller channels that will fly under the radar.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 14: Jagen’s Last Resort

With Castelia City behind him, Jagen sets out into the desert.

This Hiker will refresh you on how the desert works, in case you don’t know. It’s helpful!

Speaking of helpful, there are quite a few items scattered around here. Most of them are more useful than an X Accuracy, too.

But of course, we can’t just go down a Route peacefully.

: I've been waiting for you to get the Insect Badge. And now it's time to see which one of us is the stronger Trainer!

At least he’s getting quickly to the point.

All battles on this Route are fought under the effects of a sandstorm, and Cheren is no exception. This is a lovely matchup for Marth, though, so it’s time to call an audible.

Hey, don’t mock me for swapping! It was a fine swap! (he says this no matter what, it just happened to come out rude)

Zoobat doesn’t have any supereffective moves here, but our team kinda folds to Flying types right now. That’s worth remedying later, if possible. The possibilities of a Heart Stamp flinchlock made me do this swap.

His next Pokemon doesn’t get the luxury of an explanation.

oh gently caress you pansage

It had Bite.

Get Watchog’ed, rear end in a top hat.

So Cheren’s starter has evolved, and now it’s Fire/Fighting. Woobat is perfectly set up to shred a Fighting type, but unfortunately it was tragically eaten by a Pansage. I’m just looking forlornly for a while here, don’t mind me.

Guess we’ll just fight bulk with bulk.

Flame Charge is a pretty cool move, dealing damage and raising the user’s Speed with each use. I might like that on Roy.

This is just a slugfest, and Cheren’s Pignite is packing a Sitrus Berry, which automatically restores some HP when its holder drops below 50% HP.

It also has Defense Curl, so this...takes a while.

But not as long as it could. Sweet Crit, Burrtha!

Cheren’s final Pokemon is a Liepard. It’s an evolved version of Purrloin. Remember Purrloin? We haven’t seen one in a while.

oh yeah that’s why

Thanks to the EXP Share, Gesundheit picks up Super Fang here. It’s a pretty unique move, typically given to the Route 1 Rodents.

: The reason you are so tough is the trust between you and your Pokémon. But… that shouldn't be a problem. I can get more out of Pignite and my other Pokémon, too.

one sec guys i’m getting a skype call

You may be shocked to hear that this Cheren is not a gift from the Blink Animation, but his default expression.

: I called Bianca too, but I guess she didn’t hear the call. I wonder what she’s caught up in. Well, I suppose I’ll just have to call her again later.

Even Cheren is baffled by how abrupt this is.

: Nimbasa City’s gate is straight down Route 4.

Well, I guess we have our next objective. I was going to do that anyway, but I guess it’s good to know our friends have our back? Or at least that we’ll have more rival fights to level off of.

In the meantime, let’s check out that little hut in the top left corner.

This house serves as a rest area to fully heal your Pokemon. So you don’t need to book it back to Castelia City each time...unless you didn’t notice this building. Like a fool. Like me.

agreed, lizard

You might have noticed this path leading to the west, back where we caught Roy a few updates back.

It leads to this coast. The coast is full of battle-hungry fishermen.

Just like in real life.

Guess how many of the Pokemon here are level 16 Basculin?

If you guessed “All of them”, you may know why I skipped this battle.

Here’s a master wordsmith.

I...hope you like Basculin…

If these guys pooled their Pokemon they’d have a full team of Basculin!

North of the coastline, we’ve got this little construction area.

Here’s a quick shot of the Dowsing Machine in action. The crossed wands on the bottom screen show that we’re literally standing on a hidden item.

And it’s a pretty great one! Ultra Balls are always a treat, especially this early on.

You know, that makes sense.

That doesn’t.

Ma’am, you probably don’t want to wear rain boots in the desert. I’m not an expert, I’ve personally never worn rain boots or been to a desert, but it’s a hunch.

Aww, hey, it’s this guy again! Sorry, Tympole. And sorry to her other identical Tympole that came right after this.

...Yes?

I love this trainer a lot.

Hello, overkill! We’ll save you for later.

Leaf Tornado is running on fumes now…

Oh, crap. They do that, don’t they?

The foe’

Well, I’m out of gas now. I have to swap to Vine Whip. Like a level 8 peasant. This version of Marth is probably pretty disgusted.

Oh, hey, Zoobat gets to flex on a Fighting type after all!

We’ve already run into this, but good to know!

With the Dowsing Machine prepped, nothing can hide from me on this route! (I almost certainly missed something on this route.)

Especially not an Ether.

This man is threatening to punch Jagen, I think.

nice macho muscles, pal

A single Confusion doesn’t quite end it, but it uses Bide so it’s dead inside.

The big reward for going on this side route is a TM for Torment! I probably won’t use it, but it’s an LP so I’ve gotta do it!

Now back to the main route. That worker was the one blocking us until we took Burgh down.

They’re really worried about you getting burned on this route.

Yeah, I think people were sick of the Burn Heal screenshots.

Darumaka sometimes just...sucks its limbs into its body and wiggles around. What a powerful boy.

The sheer joy of that image has caused Zoobat to hit the happiness threshold!

uh

So, okay, here’s Swoobat! Please ignore his terrifying nose.

It’s that easy? Cool. Say, thread, what’s your favorite Pokemon?

Feel free to ponder that while I pick up Ethers.

Cottonee’s not a bad choice. Props, guidebook!

I mean, it’s a bad choice in this battle, but like, overall, not bad!

Marth drops Tackle for Mega Drain because clearly we need more Special Attack Grass moves.

I know you’re all as eager to find out as Swoobat here.

I would like to note what a terrible dick this Petlil is, though. It knows Leech Seed, Mega Drain, Synthesis (just a heal), and Sleep Powder. Unless you’re weak to Mega Drain, it’ll pretty much never win a battle. It just wants to make them drag on forever.

Thankfully we have Air Cutter and STAB, so it could have been much worse.

I wasn’t even trying to sneak around you, buddy!

Waylon’s only got one Pokemon.

Oh no. It’s out for revenge!

Oh yeah it’s still Blitzle. This was a single Mega Drain.

Buddy, I Mega Drained you one time.

This billboard was strategically placed to mock me in particular.

Here’s another cool little use of camera angles! Trucks will drive by on the overpass here. Heading past this point will take us to Nimbasa, but…

Let’s take a western detour, shall we?

This guy just had Timburrs.

Oh, I, uh, may have forgotten to hunt down this hidden item while I was next to the billboard.

It’s a bad day to be a Worker.

There’s another house up the road here. There’s nothing in the trash.

Dig! The classic Ground type move.

Some TMs have minor field use, Dig is one of them. It mostly just saves you some time and Pokedollars.

Agreed, buddy!

Heading under this overpass will take us to a little bonus area.

What an advertisement! I’m itching to go in.

A castle, huh? Sounds right up Jagen’s alley.

There actually are not that many Ground-types that appear out here. I think it’s just Sandile.

Big props to this guy for wearing his doctor’s scrubs and stethoscope in the middle of a desert. Even if it is nicer than the average desert.

He’s got a Pokemon we haven’t seen before, Solosis! It’s a Psychic type.

It’s also got some hefty Special Defense.

This could take a while.

This could take even longer.

Several Vine Whips Later…

Jerry here serves as a free healing point from here on out.

The resort is mostly made up of these winding dunes. We’ll want to comb the sand with the Dowsing Machine.

Instant rewards! One of the rarest items in the game, a Rare Candy boosts a Pokemon’s level by one, no questions asked.

Uh. Okay?

This guy’s just showing off now. You’ve got two free hands!

He’s got a Solosis, and it uses Snatch. I legitimately had no idea what this move did, so I looked it up.

From Bulbapedia…

“Snatch is an increased priority move. After being used, if another Pokémon (including an ally) attempts to use a beneficial status move, the user of Snatch steals the move and uses the move itself instead of the move's original user. “

That’s cool, I just Vine Whipped it a lot!

cronch

There are a couple of new Pokemon on this route, but this is the first I managed to find. It’s a Dwebble!

You might remember her from Burgh’s gym. Rock-Bug is a pretty cool type combination!

Woo! Liquid secretions?

Tucked away in this corner is a Fire Stone. We could evolve Pansear now. If that’s...something you want to do?

I’d question wearing a wide-brimmed hat in a sandstorm, but I simply cannot knock the style.

oh poo poo it’s a DUCK

Ducklett’s a Water/Flying type. You’ll notice that the Pokemon here at the Resort are quite a bit stronger than the ones on Route 4. Keep that in mind if you decide to take this detour.

With no super-effective moves around on Pokemon that aren’t weak to Flying (suddenly I miss Blitzle?), I’m just going to go for the ol’ Heart Stamp lock.

It blows a cruel stream of bubbles in our direction, but with the power of his...smooching nose? Swoobat wins.

Rawst Berries remove Burns from your Pokemon. There is a LOT of anti-burn out here, huh? Environmental storytelling.

How harsh could it be?

Noooo!

Sandstorm finishes both competitors.

Wow. The desert really is pretty harsh.

This is risky...but I’m going for it.

...Well poo poo.

Yeah, big mood, pal.

The real prize back here is Rock Tomb, a nice physical Rock-type move with the chance to slow targets it hits.

There are also other assorted prizes lingering about. Stardust sells for a good chunk of change.

Ethers are cool too! But we’re getting pretty heavy on screenshots…

Jagen will take shelter from the storm in this submerged ruin. Seems perfectly safe.

Next time, we see what we can do in Relic Castle for now (nothing) and clean up the rest of the Resort on our way to Nimbasa City. See you then!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's good to know I'm not the only one who walks out on the deck on a stormy night and gazes wistfully out to sea when a Pokemon he was counting on gets unexpectedly KO'd

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My favorite Pokemon is Aggron, a good mountain gardener friend.

The castle ruins are great because Yamask is here!!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Desert routes in B/W are great and one of my favorite set pieces in all of the pokemon games.
Theres just so many cool areas with cool rear end music in Gen 5, and the all new pokedex just helps make it a genuinely novel experience, a rare thing in pokemon.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
The ruins also have Hah, gotcha! so it’s not a bad place overall. Feel like we missed something, but the screenshot heaviness makes it valid to put off for now.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
My favorite Pokemon is

which I'm sure was just a weird accident but came across so dramatic it made me laugh

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

this is an amazing image and i love it dearly

Uhhhh regarding favorite Pocket Monsters that's actually really, really tough! At least picking one. There's some I can nominate, though, in no particular order:
    Beedrill
    Venusaur
    Darkrai
    Torterra
    Incineroar
    Aegislash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LordHippoman posted:

I’d question wearing a wide-brimmed hat in a sandstorm, but I simply cannot knock the style.
I'm not an expert, but I'd think anything that can be used to shield your eyes is probably a good thing in a sandstorm. Personally I'm questioning the complete lack of goggles.

As for favorite Pokemon, I both haven't played Pokemon in a while and am actually a 13-year-old on the inside, so I'd probably pick something like Charizard because FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON. I'm a simple man with simple tastes, what can I say.