Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Male Jagen. Oshawott named Marth.

May as well go all in on the reference. It’s even the blue starter, for crying out loud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Paul.Power posted:

Red Chocobo mention

Whatever happened to them? None of their LPs are viewable on LP Archive anymore and I distinctly remember reading them on my compy a year or two before I signed up on SA.

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013

Kemix posted:

Whatever happened to them? None of their LPs are viewable on LP Archive anymore and I distinctly remember reading them on my compy a year or two before I signed up on SA.

You can still read them on their own website, I think it’s kisamiyatsu dot com

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
LordHippoman back with another LP? For Pokemon Black, one of the best games in the series?? And with good opinions about Trubbish and Vanillish?! Hell yeah I'm 100% on board this hypetrain.

No real opinions about the starter, since they all have their pros and cons. (Snivy is my favorite but I don't want to saddle you with it.) But I'm down for male Jagen.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Lady Liberty with an Oshawatt named Jagen because its final evo is supposed to be based on a mounted samurai or something, right? That's close enough to a Paladin.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

May as well go all in on the reference. It’s even the blue starter, for crying out loud!

this is my vote. let's do it.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and change my vote to this.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Gen V has a lot of bad designs, but at the same time it also has the highest concentration of my favorite designs. Also, this was the first region imo where the setting really, truly felt alive to me. When I think about the world that Pokemon takes place in, what originally appealed to me as a 7-year-old playing Blue on the Gameboy, and still does to this day, I think of Unova.

Also, Nthing a Male Jagen and an Oshawott named Marth.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Didn't vote for a Pokemon in my last post, so sure, Oshawott named Marth. While we're at it we should just all the Pokemon the names from FE11/12 :v:

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Male named Bacon. Oshawott named Bacon.

And can we suggest nicknames in advance or should we wait till you've caught the mon?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Livewire42 posted:

And can we suggest nicknames in advance or should we wait till you've caught the mon?

In advance is fine!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

This is also my vote.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hippomn posted:

: he moment you choose the Pokémon that will accompany you on your journey, your story will truly begin. During your journey, you will meet many Pokémon and people with different personalities and points of view!
Typo here.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Also, Nthing a Male Jagen and an Oshawott named Marth.
:bandwagon:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shiny777 posted:

Lady Liberty with an Oshawatt named Jagen because its final evo is supposed to be based on a mounted samurai or something, right? That's close enough to a Paladin.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Yep, this'll do!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Female, Liberty, Snivy, No nickname

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I guess I’m also changing my vote because this is perfect.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lord Hippoman is back, yay! My life has felt so empty without your sense of...whatever it is you call the opening narration.
I'll happily try and follow along as you go through Black. :)

I really liked Black and White and I liked the pokemon including Trubbish and Vanilish. :) Though I find the end evolution of Vanilish to be a little nightmare inducing with those short stubby arms and bodies merged together. :ohdear:

We're a boy and we're called Jagen
We'll take Snivy along. We can call Snivy Marth, but Serperior is a grade A pun. :(

Revolver Oshawott is overdone.

I would also like to place a vote for a Patrat in the team, we can call it Hypnotoad.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't know much about Gen 5 pokemon, aside from the aforementioned Trubbish, Vanillite, and the three monkeys, so I'll leave team voting to others unless I see something that interests me.

Is this the gen that introduced Gurdurr?

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I like the idea of a Snivy named Marth

It reminds me of Brawl in the Family. No one is good enough to talk to Marth the Snivy

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Damanation posted:

I like the idea of a Snivy named Marth

It reminds me of Brawl in the Family. No one is good enough to talk to Marth the Snivy
Are you thinking of Awkward Zombie instead? The one where Marth has a chart of who is allowed to speak with him? I don't remember Marth being like that in BitF, although I don't think that he did much in that comic.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Commander Keene posted:

Are you thinking of Awkward Zombie instead? The one where Marth has a chart of who is allowed to speak with him? I don't remember Marth being like that in BitF, although I don't think that he did much in that comic.

Ironically canon Marth post-Shadow Dragon is a lot closer to Oshawott, in that he's not entirely sure of himself most of the time, but fanon Marth, like in Awkward Zombie, leans Snivy. Hell, you could make an argument that Shadow Dragon Marth is pretty Tepig.

:goonsay: and all

Also yes, Gurrdurr is in this game.

:frogsiren: The Votes Are In :frogsiren:

And holy poo poo was it close. I did a recount to make sure, but it looks like our hero will be a Male Jagen.

And, by a single vote, a Snivy named Marth will be by his side.

Next time we ride.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
hell yeah dr hippoguy is back

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Poor Liberty. I'm happy to see a male play though though!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

You are right, I was thinking of Awkward Zombie.

And to think I almost didn't vote

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I did a recount to make sure, but it looks like our hero will be a Male Jagen.

That Time I Died as the Retainer for King Marth And Reincarnated as a Pokemon Trainer: Let's Isekai Pokemon Black!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

BlackPersona posted:

That Time I Died as the Retainer for King Marth And Reincarnated as a Pokemon Trainer: Let's Isekai Pokemon Black!

Mods?!?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 2: Jagen Embarks

The votes are in, and it looks like an old friend has been called up for this adventure.

Is this an origin story? A reincarnation story? A dream? One thing’s for sure, you voted for it, so you can’t call me self-indulgent for doing it!

And, in an extremely close race, it looks like our starter, by a single vote, is Snivy!

I can already tell we’re going to go far together.

Tepig got three votes, Cheren. Don’t try to fool me.

Well...why not, I guess?

Honestly, Bianca...Even though they’re still weak Pokemon, you shouldn’t have Pokemon battles inside a house.

I don’t recall that ever being a problem in the four previous generations.

Get ready for a Pokemon battle!

Important battles in this game get a nice little splash screen like this before they begin!

And the enemy trainer sprites are quite animated! Bianca here kinda stumbles around before pulling her Pokeball out. I’ll try to get a better shot of it later, because I’ve got a feeling this won’t be the last time we take her on.

It’s time for our first battle!

I’m going to assume that most of the people reading this have a passing familiarity with the way Pokemon functions, but just in case, I’ll provide a brief primer.

A Pokemon can learn up to four moves. It’s a turn based battle system, where the Pokemon with the highest Speed stat moves first. Let’s take a closer look at these moves by holding down the L Button and tapping them.

Tackle is the most bog standard Pokemon move of all time. It’s Normal type, has a Power ranking of 50, and an Accuracy ranking of 100. The Physical typing means that this scales off your Pokemon’s Attack stat, and is reduced by the opposing Pokemon’s Defense stat. If it were a Special type move, it would be affected by the Special Attack and Special Defense stats instead.

PP (Power Points) indicate how many times we can use this move before needing to recharge at a Pokemon Center. In the case of Tackle, it’s a hefty 35, so we can pretty much just ignore it.

Our other move, Leer, drops the Defense of all opposing Pokemon. There’s no Power ranking because this move does not deal damage.

Both of our Pokemon literally have only one offensive move in Tackle, but Snivy’s quicker. Off to a good start in this war of attrition!

Bianca shifts tactics.

Leer and Tail Whip are...pretty much the same move. She didn’t try doing damage that turn, which means her fate is now all but sealed.

Oshawott Tail Whips again on the next turn, bringing Snivy’s Defense very low…

But it doesn’t matter because I just tackled it four times in a row. Look at the face on that Oshawott. It knows it hosed up.

Whoo!

You can see a Pokemon’s progress towards the next level in the blue bar under the HP.

Apparently we were playing for stakes in this casual bedroom brawl. I mean, I’ll take it, but that seems extreme.

:magical:

...All they did was Tackle and Tail Whip.

Jagen, you’re going to be an awesome trainer someday, I can tell! No doubt!

how did claw marks get on THE WALLS?

Clearly at one point, Snivy must have wedged that table up on the computer desk to perform a diving Tackle on Oshawott. I must have missed that screenshot, sorry.

Wow! Pokemon are amaaaaazing!! So little, but so strong! I’m so glad that I get to have a Pokemon! ...Oh. Um, sorry about your room, Jagen.

I’ll restore your Pokemon for you.

Jagen’s Pokemon needs to be fixed up, too.

Cheren here somehow manages to function as a Pokemon Center healing machine, or a bed. In an interesting tidbit, there is actually a line programmed for Cheren here if you take no damage in the battle!

It’s amazing that you won without your Pokemon losing any energy, which is called HP. But you used some of the moves’ Power Points, or PP, though.

To get this, you’d either have to have Bianca decide to Tail Whip/Leer on all of her turns or miss all her Tackles. I’m not sure exactly what those odds are, but they aren’t high. If I didn’t have the game script I wouldn’t know this existed.

With all you know, I’m sure you can battle without turning the room into a disaster area like I did!

I believe you’re right! It’ll be no problem for me to keep the room from getting any messier. Besides, it’s not fair if you two are the only ones who get to have fun battling!

Two rival fights for the price of one!

Let’s see if we can go 2-0.

Cheren just kinda points in his intro. It’s not very interesting.

Speaking of not very interesting, I do think it’s a little silly that you have to do two rival fights here, since...well...at the start of the game it’s just

shut up cheren

Tackle. It’s really just a lot of Tackling.

I have skipped much of the tackling for your viewing pleasure.

One thing that I definitely don’t want to skip, though, is leveling up!

The actual mechanics of leveling up in Pokemon are kinda obtuse and far beyond what this LP is going to delve into, but rest assured it’s fairly simple and you’ll get more stats in stuff your Pokemon is good at.

There’s no real risk of RNG screwing you out of a stat. Unlike in...some other games.

You aren’t welcome here.

Sorry, I got a bit distracted there. Anyhow, Cheren gives us 500 Pokedollars too. You’ll get a money reward from any Trainer you defeat.

this feeling I have… ...I’m finally a Trainer. But first, we’d better go apologize to your mother about this messed-up room.

Such rampant destruction. Is anything spared?

Wow! Thanks for your quality products, Nintendo! And to think it’s only $250 at the time this game was made! I sure am impressed! :v:

Cleaning up? No worries. I’ll take care of it later. Shouldn’t you be on your way to meet Professor Juniper?

Jagen’s mom is remarkably chill about this whole thing. Then again, she hasn’t actually seen it yet…

Yes, thank you! Please excuse us. Come on. Let’s go thank Professor Juniper.

Oh! Wait! I’ve gotta go home first. Thanks for having us over!

Sounds like we’ve got a pretty clear next objective.

mom my hat is clipping into your face

Pokemon battles are so lively, aren’t they? I could hear the Pokemon’s cries clear down here!

That...doesn’t sound good at all.

Hm. That sure reminded me of my first Pokemon battle! Oh, and you know? After a battle, you need to rest your Pokemon!

A lot of these games have implied your mom has some Pokemon battle experience, and yet there’s never been an optional Mom Boss. Come on, Nintendo, that one’s free.

There’s a fade in/out here to signify your Pokemon getting healed.

This is our requisite PokeGadget for the game.

Better get going, honey!

With the addition of the Xtranceiver, our bottom screen is looking a lot more populated. Not much we can do with it now, though.

Except this. I like turning the text speed up. The only option in here that really effects gameplay is “Battle Style”. By default, you get opportunities to swap your active Pokemon after fainting an opposing trainer’s Pokemon, but you can turn that to Set for a little more difficulty.

As we leave our house for the first time, a bevy of Pidoves flutter away from the door. It’s a nice touch!

Welcome to Nuvema Town. Much like most starting towns in a Pokemon game, there’s not a lot to do, but let’s take the tour.

...Does Jagen’s mom not have a name?

This is a continuation of a running joke in Pokemon games, where a guy in the starter town talks about how cool some new tech the game uses is. In the first game it was about the Game Boy Link Cable. We’ve come a long way, and I for one am happy not to have to carry one of those around anymore.

Let’s check out what’s going on in one of the only other homes in time.

Uh. I can go.

But, I’m...I’m a good Trainer who got a Pokemon and everything!

This feels like kind of a non-sequitur but alright.

Honestly this seems like a reasonable response.

Though I guess culture is different in PokeWorld.

Unfortunately Bianca hasn’t thrown away any money or free items. Worth a shot, though.

Let’s go steal from visit our other friend’s family.

Please, plebeian. Snivy isn’t cute. It’s regal.

Oh poo poo, get ready for some words of wisdom.

Never forget it.

A big nerd.

And he doesn’t even have stuff to steal.

We’ve collected two of the sacred Adventure Rules. Who knows what other eldritch knowledge they may impart?

drat. Outsmarted again.

Oh, and, by the way, there’s no Potion in your PC in this game. There’s nothing really there at all.

Before making progress, I just wanted to show off that there’s a little saving animation! We’re on our way.

Let me introduce myself again. My name is...

Cheren is determined to harsh Ms. Frizzle’s buzz here.

Today is a day to remember always, so it’s best to behave with some formality. That being so, once again, my name is Professor Juniper, and I am researching when and how the creatures called Pokemon came into existence.

So maybe that’s why...It feels as though your Pokemon have already begun to trust you!

Suddenly, a name creeps into our hero’s mind. As if from another place, another time, another life...

A name fit for a respected partner, through thick and thin.

Yeah, that’s what I was implying, Juniper, thanks.

As for why I gave all of you Pokemon...

It’s for the Pokedex, right?

Read as much sarcasm into that “astonished” as you feel befits Juniper’s character.

you encounter! So, I want you three to visit many places and meet all of the Pokemon in the Unova region! This is my request.

You know, everybody, I liked doing LP, but I’ve got a new shift coming up and I don’t know if I can really keep this going, thanks for joining, but I’ve gotta turn it down.

juniper please

What I want to hear are the courageous words of people who will blaze new paths around the world!

Let me out. :colbert:

Alright, fine, LP uncancelled.

I mean...Yes, professor!

Because of you, I can become a Pokemon Trainer, exactly as I’ve always wished.

All of you, thanks!

Looks like we can really get started.

Please meet me at Route 1, OK?

I can explore and maybe find out what I want to do in life. I think I’d like that.

We can travel however we want while we complete the Pokedex.

The hotel industry has got to be booming in PokeWorld. Before we head out to meet the Professor again, let’s look around the lab.

There’s surprisingly little of interest in the lab! Just a mysterious photograph...and the same two Adventure Rules.

She asked you to complete the Pokedex?! I can’t believe it!

Jagen’s mom is pretty great.

Look, we’re getting a lot of Key Items today.

Here you are, Cheren.

I’ll take good care of it.

And one for you, too, Bianca.

Th-thank you so much!

As for your room, Jagen--or what’s left of it… No need for any of you to worry. I’ll take care of tidying up. OK, Jagen?

She is still remarkably okay with all this.

Ah, Pokemon. They are so cute, but they have enough power to destroy a bedroom! They really are something. With Pokemon like that at your side, you’ll be safe wherever you go! I’ll let your parents know! I hope that, in addition to Pokemon, you’ll find lots and lots of places you like in the Unova Region--and become wonderful adults! Have a great trip!

I don’t think that’s really how a paper map works, but okay.

Shall we head to Route 1? The Professor’s waiting.

Let’s go, let’s go! Jagen, hurry and come too, OK?

The only exit to Nuvema Town is up here in the northeast corner.

Bianca says if we’re starting a journey together, she wants us all to take our first step at the same time.

Hey, Jagen! Let’s all take our first step on Route 1 together!

OK, here we go!

ACTION HOP

It sure is! C’mon, the professor’s waiting.

The professor was literally right there. You could see her in the last shot. C’mon, Cheren.

The Pokedex’s pages update automatically whenever you meet a Pokemon! Moreover, it’s set up so that you obtain even more information when you catch a Pokemon! To make this clear, I’m going to demonstrate how to catch a Pokemon!

Juniper calmly walks into the grass.

The camera, much less calmly, goes for the zoom.

Another new Pokemon! It’s Patrat! It’s totally not Ratatta!

The computer controls all actions during this segment, so we’re just watching Juniper do her work.

One Pound from Mincinno has decimated that poor Patrat, and I don’t think all the Leers in the world will help it now.

She’s also packing 30 Poke Balls!

How many will she need?

Just one. It’s a Level 2 Patrat, come on.

Here’s how it goes, step by step. First, reduce the Pokemon’s HP! Pokemon that still have all their energy are difficult to catch. If you can, use your Pokemon’s moves to make the Pokemon you want to catch fall asleep. Or paralyze it! And to wrap this up in the best way, I have a gift for you--some Poke Balls!

:toot:

Now that’s worth celebrating. Juniper covered it pretty well, so for everyone who doesn’t know, I’ll just add that some Pokemon, typically rarer ones, have a lower potential catch rate, and that higher leveled Pokemon are harder to catch. There’s a formula for it. Don’t worry about it.

Poke Balls are used for catching the Pokemon you catch!

And she walks away.

I’m heading to Accumula Town, too.

I think I’ll go too. I’m looking forward to the next town so I can go shopping for Poke Balls! Wait a minute! Hey, listen! Cheren, I thought of something fun!

But we need to get going! I’d imagine the Professor’s waiting, too.

Would you just listen a sec? Seriously!

Wow, Bianca went off.

Why don’t we see who can catch the most Pokemon? The person carrying the most Pokemon, including the one received from Professor Juniper, is the winner!

Huh. Actually, that sounds interesting. It will fill up Pokedex pages, so I’m sure it will please the professor, too. OK then. Until we reach Accumula Town, take care of healing your Pokemon at your own house.

Well, I guess we’re in a contest. Naturally, we will crush them.

There was a lot of preamble there, but it looks like we’re finally just about to get the adventure really started. Next time, we’ll be catching Pokemon on Route 1, exploring, and generally actually playing the game! I hope you’ll join me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jagen is the family name

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Is this an origin story? A reincarnation story? A dream? One thing’s for sure, you voted for it, so you can’t call me self-indulgent for doing it!

It's a Reborn story. A Pokemon Reborn, if you will :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Press X to be important?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Jagen is the family name

It's entirely possible.

BlackPersona posted:

It's a Reborn story. A Pokemon Reborn, if you will :v:

Please conserve the puns, I need them to write the updates.

Darth TNT posted:

Press X to be important?

Press X to Menu Screen.

Also, I realize I didn't go over Marth's status screen yet, but the update was already dragging. I'm planning on doing it next time, once we have another Pokemon to compare to.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Nihilarian posted:

Jagen is the family name

Clearly we've got a Mario Bros. situation going here and our protagonist's full name is Jagen Jagen. It's the only thing that explains both the sign and everyone, including his childhood friends and mother, calling him Jagen.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Jagen J. Jagen, Jr

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

LordHippoman posted:

I don’t think that’s really how a paper map works, but okay.

By this point (basically precisely this point, even) the Town Map's shown to actually be technological in nature, at least in supplementary materials (the anime, the TCG).

I... don't know if that's the best way to have a map that explorers/kids/kid explorers are going to be using in various possibly-dangerous places, but.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

LiefKatano posted:

By this point (basically precisely this point, even) the Town Map's shown to actually be technological in nature, at least in supplementary materials (the anime, the TCG).

I... don't know if that's the best way to have a map that explorers/kids/kid explorers are going to be using in various possibly-dangerous places, but.

clearly the kids’ Pokelectronics are manufactured by Nintendo, whose hardware is sturdy as all hell ime

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, in the first rival battles you can lose without a game over right? Is there also different dialogue when you lose to Bianca while her pokemon still has full HP vs. when it does not?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, in the first rival battles you can lose without a game over right? Is there also different dialogue when you lose to Bianca while her pokemon still has full HP vs. when it does not?

You can lose, yes.

I didn't see any alternate dialogue for losing at to Bianca at full HP. If you lose to Cheren, it just cuts off the part where he says he made a mistake.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

A new Hippoman LP!! :eyepop: I remember being a bit let down by B/W after so much hype (got fond memories of DPPlt), but maybe that'll change? Oh btw what'll be the music link status of the game?

the girl sprite is great too though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Booky posted:

A new Hippoman LP!! :eyepop: I remember being a bit let down by B/W after so much hype (got fond memories of DPPlt), but maybe that'll change? Oh btw what'll be the music link status of the game?

the girl sprite is great too though :colbert:

Welcome back, glad to have you! Platinum is actually my favorite Pokemon, so I understand the feeling.

To be honest, I don't feel super comfortable using music links. I don't like linking to random YouTube channels, since I don't want to like, leech off of them. I also don't have much experience recording the music files directly for Tindeck or something like that, so it's not something I'm planning on doing anytime soon.

Sorry, I realize this is probably mostly just me being overly cautious, but that's just the way I am, I guess!